Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rolleiflex 2.8D Xenotar: Rare-ish bird?
Old 04-18-2018   #1
roscoetuff

Rolleiflex 2.8D Xenotar: Rare-ish bird?

Soooooooo.... am I just drinking the Koolaid, or is the 2.8D Xenotar really the bees knees of TLR's? Not too long ago, it was buzzed all around, and I guess I was taken in. 2.8D Xenotar's are now as scarce a minotaurs and centaurs. Prices for TLR's in "good shape"... where the lenses don't admittedly have issues, seem to be creeping up from a linked price range for sales ($800 range) to about 50% or more higher - and all that pre-CLA.

I think it's Andy who made a very good case on the basis of lens construction. Personally, never having shot one of these babies (I did once own a Mamiya TLR but can't remember the model), and while I'm very familiar with Rollei and love Rollei, with the Rollei TLR's I'm on the outside looking in and what appeals to me about the 2.8D may be unique or not but it's the EV orientation to shooting. I don't think the 2.8C's and earlier do this, and I'm not sure about the later models.

All I know is that 2.8C's... you can probably get 2 or 3 new models being sold a day (exaggeration), but the 2.8D's are in the hoarder's closets or something. I'm NOT rushing. I'm not eager, but I am curious. I'm saving this for next year, but when the time comes, did you folks just sit and watch, or did you more actively inquire with a couple of dealers... like KEH to get on a list?

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 04-18-2018   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Approximately 20,000 were produced. Less than some other 2.8 series but they’re not exactly rare. And many of them were fitted with Schneider lenses. They’re still out there.

Old 04-18-2018   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

I own a 2.8D Planar and a 2.8C Xenotar (and a Tele Rollei)

The 2.8D may have cost $275 about 25 years ago locally.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-18-2018   #4
x-ray

Jimmy Koh had 3 for sale recently.

Old 04-18-2018   #5
roscoetuff

Raid: One lucky guy! $275 in 1993 would be $ 477 according to one CPI calculator. So... still a really good deal just about any way you calculate it. Though most official CPI's way understate the factors for some goods in order to keep related costs down (they use a fictitious # for rent), you got a great deal.

So I think the thing to do is just take my time. Let the camera come rather than chase after it. Like to find one with lenses that are in good shape.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer

Old 04-18-2018   #6
raid
Dad Photographer

The 2.8D is a basic Rollei with a great lens. No meter. No removable prism. I used to also own a 2.8E and a 2.8F. Sold both.

Old 04-18-2018   #7
Range-rover

I just got a 2.8C a little while ago, it was one of the KEH specials you see from time
to time. Anyway the taking lens has a few marks (no effect in its pictures) and I have
noticed the prices in the early ones creeping up (depending on condition) and I've
seen a few 2.8D's here and there.

Old 04-18-2018   #8
Range-rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
The 2.8D is a basic Rollei with a great lens. No meter. No removable prism. I used to also own a 2.8E and a 2.8F. Sold both.
Raid, Do you still own the 2.8D?

Old 04-19-2018   #9
css9450

How does the D differ from the C? Its newer I suppose... I would think that given a choice between the two, I would just go with whichever is in the best condition (which often is hard to determine if you're buying online).

Old 04-19-2018   #10
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range-rover View Post
Raid, Do you still own the 2.8D?
Yes, I do. I have used this camera more than any MF camera I have ever owned. It is solid like a rock.

Old 04-19-2018   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

My 2.8C Xenotar needs a CLA. It is very difficult to change aperture openings. I had only used Planar Rollei cameras, and I was curious about the Xenotar. It should be very similar to the 2.8D Planar.

Old 04-19-2018   #12
roscoetuff

The thing I'm wondering is whether the 2.8C vs. 2.8D is all that important. I think I understand the E's and F's, but the C's vs. D's... less so. FWIW, I bought the Leica M4-2 that didn't pass muster for so many, but takes wonderful pictures. So my inquiry has more to do with the picture taking aspects, the mechanical than the aesthetics or collector type issues.

Old 04-19-2018   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

Age is the main difference between the 2.8C and 2.8, plus the fact that shutter speed and aperture dial wheels are connected in the 2.8D. You turn one, and the other one will move along. I think, the two wheels are disconnected in the 2.8C.

Old 04-19-2018   #14
roscoetuff

Let me ask a follow-up if I may on the F 3.5 vs F 2.8 cameras: While we all tend to gravitate to the fastest lenses, I read somewhere that the 2.8 TLR Rolleis were used more heavily than the 3.5's so that the latter's lenses are "generally" in better shape. Thoughts? and/or experience on whether there's anything to this?

Old 04-19-2018   #15
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
How does the D differ from the C? Its newer I suppose... I would think that given a choice between the two, I would just go with whichever is in the best condition (which often is hard to determine if you're buying online).
Many differences between the C and D. Shutter, front housing, release, locks, flash synchronisation (M, X, V, independent versus M, X/V), setting wheels, setting wheel locks on C, no EV on C, EV on D. They're both great cameras with the same lens options though.

There's a wealth of information about this stuff here on RFF, let alone the broader web. It's your purchase, so do a little reading.

You're right about condition. It's more important than age. These are nearly all getting quite old. A few years here or there is of no consequence. On the other hand how one has been cared for is much more so.

Old 04-19-2018   #16
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
Let me ask a follow-up if I may on the F 3.5 vs F 2.8 cameras: While we all tend to gravitate to the fastest lenses, I read somewhere that the 2.8 TLR Rolleis were used more heavily than the 3.5's so that the latter's lenses are "generally" in better shape. Thoughts? and/or experience on whether there's anything to this?
A Rollei is a Rollei. Any rule of thumb is not as relevant as the prospects you have located. What are *they* like?

Buy the best example you can find and afford for your budget. One that is in good cosmetic condition for its age has probably been well cared for. One that has been banged about may be more likely to have alignment problems and even if it is returned to pristine mechanical condition it will never have the same value as an immaculate looking one. So, again, find the cleanest and straightest example with the best glass you can afford.

Old 04-19-2018   #17
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
There's a wealth of information about this stuff here on RFF, let alone the broader web. It's your purchase, so do a little reading.
His purchase, not mine... I was just curious what led him to consider the D in particular.

Old 04-19-2018   #18
roscoetuff

If you're asking me, it's Andy's discourse on the Xenotar lens vs. Planar, and then I think I like the EV shooting approach... as a handy move from the meter to the camera.

Old 04-19-2018   #19
Beemermark

The D & E models have the EVS system. On the E you could uncouple the the EVS system and it would stay uncoupled. On the D you have to depress a button to disconnect the aperture from the shutter speed each and every time. My style of shooting is to pick one SS and change the aperture to get the proper exposure for the lighting. Because of that I hated the D. A lot of people liked it though.

Old 04-19-2018   #20
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
The thing I'm wondering is whether the 2.8C vs. 2.8D is all that important. I think I understand the E's and F's, but the C's vs. D's... less so. FWIW, I bought the Leica M4-2 that didn't pass muster for so many, but takes wonderful pictures. So my inquiry has more to do with the picture taking aspects, the mechanical than the aesthetics or collector type issues.
The C is notable as the last Rolleiflex to have a ten-bladed aperture, and the only Planar or Xenotar camera to be so equipped, it is the preferred Rolleiflex camera for those that use the word “bokeh” in casual conversation. I like it because it does not have the EVS linkage, which the D and E do have. But it also hard to find one with a pristine lens, and there are some plastic bits on the front of the camera that are often broken.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-19-2018   #21
roscoetuff

BeemerMark: Good point. I'm kind of there, too. Picking an aperture usually 1st, but I keep an eye on shutter speed relative to handheld and lens length... which is to say I don't shoot a lot of action. Maybe I should! It's a thought. Thanks for the note.

Greyscale: Good point. Thanks for that as well. Pristine lenses are VERY hard to find on cameras of this vintage. Haven't seen a lot of eBay pics with the lenses shown as you'd really like to see and sometimes that's a tip off. Looks to me that better or at least more fairly appraised cameras are often those sold on RFF or Photrio.

Old 04-19-2018   #22
css9450

I assume that with the introduction of the EV system, the D was the first to have the now-standard shutter speeds of 500-250-125-60-30 etc instead of 500-250-100-50-25 like the C has?

Old 04-19-2018   #23
Steve M.

Be sure to ask about the coating condition on any Xenotar lensed Rollei, or get clear pictures. There are a lot of them that suffer from spots on the front element. I had one that looked pretty bad, but it took great pictures. It was probably the best lens I ever used on a Rollei. But another one was so bad that the photos from it were affected, and it wasn't capable of the same sharp and contrasty shots.

It's probably a toss up on whether a Xenotar is a better lens than a Planar, as it really depends on condition, but my good Xenotar was more contrasty than my Planars. Not a lot, but a little bit. Both were excellent lenses. The thing about both is how sharp they were across the film plane. Mine had tack sharp corners, which was a real change from my Triotar Rolleicords that gave a sharp center and not-so-sharp corners. For portraits the Triotar won out (nice bokeh too), but for other shooting, especially landscapes, it couldn't compete.

Old 04-19-2018   #24
Steve M.

This was shot handheld w/ a Planar wide open, and it's amazing how sharp it is across the frame. A good Xenotar will give at least the same quality photos. Tri-X developed full strength in D76, which is a great combination, especially w/ large negatives.

https://i.imgur.com/FpZ91Wg.jpg

Old 04-19-2018   #25
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
The D & E models have the EVS system. On the E you could uncouple the the EVS system and it would stay uncoupled. On the D you have to depress a button to disconnect the aperture from the shutter speed each and every time. My style of shooting is to pick one SS and change the aperture to get the proper exposure for the lighting. Because of that I hated the D. A lot of people liked it though.
Hi Mark

It sounds like something may have been amiss with your D.
I've owned several at this point. All of them had an EVS system that was easy to disengage and stayed that way until It was re-engaged.
I rarely used the evs but those times I did it was great.

Skip
My conclusion about lenses was more about future proofing than imaging performance.
I had a Planar side by side with a Xenotar and could really not see a difference in how the lenses imaged... they are both excellent.
The Planars seem to have a higher instance of separation making the Xenotar a wiser choice.
John Van Stelton is no longer repairing lenses so.... we folks in the US have no domestic option to have Separation repaired.
On the other hand, if you find a Planar in good condition it may stay that way for ever
It's always a question of condition with these 70 year old machines.

The D is a Robust and simple camera. It's my favorite Rollei some others agree.
Jim Koh seems to be a good place to find one.
He services those cameras he sells on ebay so they are ready to use.

Cheers!

Old 04-19-2018   #26
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Hi Mark

It sounds like something may have been amiss with your D.
I've owned several at this point. All of them had an EVS system that was easy to disengage and stayed that way until It was re-engaged.
I rarely used the evs but those times I did it was great.

Cheers!
There was an early version of the MX-EVS that operated much as Mark described, sometimes referred to as the "Type 0". In fact, it had no way of disengaging the EVS lock at all, in order to change shutter or aperture, you needed to hold one dial and turn the other. The type one camera used a button to disengage the lock, while the type 2 switched to a small dial within the aperture dial. While it is more likely that Mark's camera is not working correctly, I don't know if me can rule out for certain that he does not have an early-run type variant of the 2.8D.

Here is the MX-EVS type 0.

Rolleiflex MX-EVS type 0 by Mike Novak, on Flickr

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-19-2018   #27
x-ray

Quote:
Age is the main difference between the 2.8C and 2.8, plus the fact that shutter speed and aperture dial wheels are connected in the 2.8D. You turn one, and the other one will move along. I think, the two wheels are disconnected in the 2.8C.
They're not connected in the D. I own one now and had another a few years ago. They move independently of each other. I also own a 3.5f model 3 and they're independent of each other.

Old 04-19-2018   #28
Greyscale

I think on the type 1 2.8D, the unlocking button has to be depressed each time you want to make an independent adjustment of diaphragm or shutter settings, according to the manual at Butkus.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-19-2018   #29
Range-rover

Quote:
My 2.8C Xenotar needs a CLA. It is very difficult to change aperture openings. I had only used Planar Rollei cameras, and I was curious about the Xenotar. It should be very similar to the 2.8D Planar.
I have the Xenotar on my 2.8C and when I received the photo's back I
was shock at the clarity and color's, I was concerned when I took the
front and rear element's apart to clean the fog out, it seems that the
front element has a tint to it, it's not clear. Now that all mute they're
really good.

Old 04-19-2018   #30
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
I think on the type 1 2.8D, the unlocking button has to be depressed each time you want to make an independent adjustment of diaphragm or shutter settings, according to the manual at Butkus.

Of those D copies I've owned, all had the dial within the aperture dial to lock and unlock the EV sync.
When the little slot shape was aligned and parallel the sync was locked.
If one depressed it and turned it perpendicular, it remained unlocked.
I'm not aware of a different EVS system in the D models.
Does someone else have a different version to show?

Look at the Aperture dial here on the rh side. You see in this position now the EVS is disengaged.

Old 04-19-2018   #31
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Of those D copies I've owned, all had the dial within the aperture dial to lock and unlock the EV sync.
When the little slot shape was aligned and parallel the sync was locked.
If one depressed it and turned it perpendicular, it remained unlocked.
I'm not aware of a different EVS system in the D models.
Does someone else have a different version to show?

Look at the Aperture dial here on the rh side. You see in this position now the EVS is disengaged.

The early versions had a push-button lock. See here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/262627...ol-camerawiki/

ETA: Never mind. that is an A.

Old 04-19-2018   #32
Greyscale

It is very odd that the 2.8D manual, and the illustrations in the manual, describe the button-type switch.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/rolleif...eiflex_28d.pdf

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-19-2018   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
They're not connected in the D. I own one now and had another a few years ago. They move independently of each other. I also own a 3.5f model 3 and they're independent of each other.
There may exist different versions of the 2.8D.

Old 04-19-2018   #34
f16sunshine

I could be wrong.
The Evs style In picture above was one of the defining features of the D model.
The aperture was changed to one with fewer blades than the previous 2.8 models and, the new evs linkage was included as well as, a more robust shutter lock (and other items).

Old 04-19-2018   #35
Beemermark

f16 sunshine, are you sure you don't have the E model?

I double checked my memory by looking at Arthur Evans "Collectors Guide to Rollei Cameras". Always been my authoritative source when it doubt. The lock/unlock looks like the 2.8E model in his book. And the difference between the D and E was predominantly (only?) the lock/unlock switch. The 2.8E model started at 1,621,000.

Old 04-19-2018   #36
Swift1

From what I have seen, the 2.8D has only one version/type, and it has the EV lock/unlock.
The 2.8E and 2.8D are the same basic camera, but the E has a meter.
AFAIK , the only one with the aperture dial tab EV lock is the type 1 3.5F.
I could be wrong though...

Edit: The 2.8D is basically a 2.8E without a meter, but it has the same viewfinder magnifier as the 2.8C.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 04-19-2018   #37
raid
Dad Photographer

You may have meant to write: The 2.8E and 2.8D are the same basic camera, but the E has a meter.

Old 04-19-2018   #38
Swift1

Quote:
You may have meant to write: The 2.8E and 2.8D are the same basic camera, but the E has a meter.
You're right, fixed it.
Typing with a mouse and an onscreen keyboard, one letter at a time, is a PITA

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 04-19-2018   #39
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
On my 2.8D there's a button on the aperture wheel that pushes in and if you twist it while depressing it it uncouples the aperture and shutter speed. I'd forgotten that because I leave it disengaged.

Old 04-19-2018   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

I thought that the E has a removable finder but no meter, while the F has removable hood and meter. I may have gotten it wrong. There is also a 2.8E2 and 2.8E3.