Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Best affordable 28 2.0?
Old 04-09-2018   #1
retinax

Best affordable 28 2.0?

Toying with the idea of a fast wide and sort of ready to leave Pentax M behind anyway, I thought I'd ask. Mostly thinking about the Olympus and Minolta offerings, looking for a modest three lens kit eventually. Although want to have the option, I wouldn't want to shoot wide open very often, but I enjoy the brighter view and precise focusing with a fast lens. Never used Olympus OM, but I know I like the Minolta 50 1.4 I kept when I foolishly sold the rest of a small Minolta kit. Anyway. The Canon FD 28 2.0 has issues with deteriorating plastic parts in the mechanism for the floating elements I read. Is that also a concern with other lenses of this sort? Nikon, Leica R are too pricey, the Pentax is extremely rare.
Mainly my question is, has anyone used both the Minolta and Olympus 28 2.0 and can say something about their optical quality and possible issues?

Old 04-09-2018   #2
santino
eXpect me

I don't think olympus has plastic parts in the mechanism. Minolta depends on the vintage of the Lens.

Old 04-09-2018   #3
Bille

Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2 if you want to spend that much. Minolta MD 28/2 is awesome too for a lot less money. Comparable Nikkors are worse in my experience.

Old 04-09-2018   #4
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Toying with the idea of a fast wide and sort of ready to leave Pentax M behind anyway, I thought I'd ask. Mostly thinking about the Olympus and Minolta offerings, looking for a modest three lens kit eventually. Although want to have the option, I wouldn't want to shoot wide open very often, but I enjoy the brighter view and precise focusing with a fast lens. Never used Olympus OM, but I know I like the Minolta 50 1.4 I kept when I foolishly sold the rest of a small Minolta kit. Anyway. The Canon FD 28 2.0 has issues with deteriorating plastic parts in the mechanism for the floating elements I read. Is that also a concern with other lenses of this sort? Nikon, Leica R are too pricey, the Pentax is extremely rare.
Mainly my question is, has anyone used both the Minolta and Olympus 28 2.0 and can say something about their optical quality and possible issues?
Never give up on Pentax!

I have and like both the SMC-M 2/28 and the SMC-A 2/28. They are indeed a little rare but they are good. The SMC-M can be found quite cheap, if you can wait a while.
I also like my manual Nikkor 2/28 AiS; not so rare and not very expensive.
With Minolta or Olympus I have no experience.

Old 04-09-2018   #5
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
I do not have the Olympus in question, but I have a heavily used MC W.Rokkor 1:2 f=28mm, see:
http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/ob...inolta-28mm-f2
and two Vivitars 28mm 1:2.

Re Vivitar, see:

Vivitar (Komine 28xxxx) 28mm F2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userrev...le-series.html

Vivitar (Kiron - serial 22xxxxx) 28mm f2
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userrev...-m-series.html

Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina 37xxxxx) 28mm F1.9 VMC
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userrev...-f1-9-vmc.html

I can recommend all of them, except the Series 1 Vivitar Tokina (since I do not have it).

A little flare, not unwelcome sometimes, and a soft front lens can be an issue, so be warned that lenses having *cleaning marks* will be no exception.

Old 04-09-2018   #6
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bille View Post
Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2 if you want to spend that much. Minolta MD 28/2 is awesome too for a lot less money. Comparable Nikkors are worse in my experience.
Not what the OP is asking for, but the Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 small, light and an excellent performer. One of my favourite lenses I own.

Old 04-09-2018   #7
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompas View Post
Never give up on Pentax!

I have and like both the SMC-M 2/28 and the SMC-A 2/28. They are indeed a little rare but they are good. The SMC-M can be found quite cheap, if you can wait a while.
Pentax had been my favorite lenses, wished to have either of the two.
The Olympus Zuiko MC f2/28 is a good lens, here are my photos taken with it ( I believe all taken with Sony A7 with 35mm sensor ) https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/...15357403/page1
and a real cheapy but a good lens, at least concerning sharpness even until corners is the Vivitar f2/28mm ( made by Kiron, serial number starting with 22, though some say the one made by Komine, serial starting with 28, is even better? )
my photos taken with it: ( only the frist 2 taken on Sony A7 with 35mm sensor, rest on APS-C! ) https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/...57622961763081 )
a - fast and dirty - infinity test I did with a few 28mm lenses including the OM and Vivitar 2/28: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuans...7670043721223/

Old 04-09-2018   #8
retinax

Thanks for the replies so far!

Tompas, two specimens of the Pentax recently went on eBay.de for around 400€, that's a bit too dear for me. Same goes for Zeiss. The reason I'm ready to give up in Pentax is that I find the M (yes, Leica folks) bodies and lenses too tiny, I have large hands, and the K lenses have gotten real expensive and are rare in Europe. Plus my 28/2.8 has fogged somewhere unaccessible. It's actually a pretty good lens for black and white I think, color only OK. But as I said, I'd like something a little faster. So that's becoming a main criterion for a new system. I have a Spotmatic as well and I like it. So another option would be getting m42 lenses:
Is there any good 28/2.0 in m42? Fuji maybe? Are the Vivitar, Kiron, Tokina... ones the same as the ones in e.g. Minolta mount or earlier designs?

Old 04-09-2018   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

Canon FD 8/2.0 can be used with Canon Adapter B (to ltm). This is an advantage.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-09-2018   #10
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
So another option would be getting m42 lenses:
Is there any good 28/2.0 in m42? Fuji maybe?
1:2 f=28mm Fuji, or Mamiya, or Yashica -- that would be very nice, but never heard of, unfortunately.

Other, more obscure makes: Eyemik, Formula 5, Promura ... see
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database...x_aperture.num
-- these three look like triplets, and like a lot of metal, but no idea what's actually inside.

Quote:
Are the Vivitar, Kiron, Tokina... ones the same as the ones in e.g. Minolta mount or earlier designs?
Well, it's quite improbable to meet all your criteria at once:

Cheap plus no plastics exists, but then it's a pre-1975/1980 lens formula.

Cheap plus after-1975/1980 lens formula: contains plastics somewhere quite certainly.

Old 04-09-2018   #11
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
....The Canon FD 28 2.0 has issues with deteriorating plastic parts in the mechanism for the floating elements I read........
The FDn version of the 28/2.0 is the lighter one that probably contains plastic. The original breechlock FD version is all metal.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 04-09-2018   #12
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarongi View Post
1:2 f=28mm Fuji, or Mamiya, or Yashica -- that would be very nice, but never heard of, unfortunately.

Other, more obscure makes: Eyemik, Formula 5, Promura ... see
http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database...x_aperture.num
-- these three look like triplets, and like a lot of metal, but no idea what's actually inside.

Well, it's quite improbable to meet all your criteria at once:

Cheap plus no plastics exists, but then it's a pre-1975/1980 lens formula.

Cheap plus after-1975/1980 lens formula: contains plastics somewhere quite certainly.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
I'm not opposed to plastic if it can withstand age and normal use, which apparently isn't the case with the Canon. Neither am I opposed to older designs, although I think fast wides have benefitted most from more recent developments. I just asked if they were older formulas because I wondered if one could go by the reviews for the lens in a different mount, like those you linked earlier.

Old 04-09-2018   #13
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
The FDn version of the 28/2.0 is the lighter one that probably contains plastic. The original breechlock FD version is all metal.

Jim B.
Oh interesting. But are you sure even the guide pins or their sleeves (or whatever one would call them) in question, for the floating element, are metal?

Old 04-09-2018   #14
peterm1

The Nikon 28mm f2 is universally highly rated. If you can be agnostic about the system to use then it is a safe bet. Although I am sure there are other very good lenses of this spec. this one is right up there in quality and price. I bought an early AI one for $250 (Australian) and it is in excellent condition. I regarded this as a pretty good price for a lens of this quality. later versions have better coating. Earlier versions have better price. If you are adapting it to another system camera then pre AI is an option and you get the price benefit too.

The following quote indicates how one reviewer (link below) feels about it.

"Typical for older manual focus lenses the Nikkor Ai-S 28mm f/2 comes with an exceptional build quality and super smooth focusing - most of today's lenses feel cheap in comparison and the glory doesn't stop here. At medium aperture settings the lens is capable to produce some of the highest resolution figures tested to date. At f/2 the results are somewhat softer regarding both border resolution and contrast. Distortions and vignetting are quite well controlled whereas CAs could be a little lower at f/8. The lens is no longer in production but if it fits your needs you should be easily able to find one on the used market"

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--...ab-test-report

Old 04-09-2018   #15
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Oh interesting. But are you sure even the guide pins or their sleeves (or whatever one would call them) in question, for the floating element, are metal?
First place, I'm not at all convinced that FDn lenses are falling apart because they contain plastic. Because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean it's true.

And yes, I am sure the sure that the internals of the breechlock FD 28/2.0 are all metal, I took one apart.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 04-09-2018   #16
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Is there any good 28/2.0 in m42? Fuji maybe? Are the Vivitar, Kiron, Tokina... ones the same as the ones in e.g. Minolta mount or earlier designs?
The Vivitar f2/28 come in all kind of mounts, incl. Minolta, but, as far as I know, not in M42.
There is a good Vivitar Series 1 f1.9/28mm that comes in M42

Old 04-09-2018   #17
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Look for a Panagor 28mm 2.0 or 2.5 in M42 mount.
Those are Kiron-manufactured and are often overlooked so if you manage to find one, you probably can get it cheap

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 04-09-2018   #18
Doug

Sure, stay with Pentax? Currently my nearest 28 is the f/1.8 31mm Limited. Fabulous lens!

How about a Kiron? As it happens, mine is a Pentax K mount, and here's a couple samples shot on a Pentax K2....

Old 04-10-2018   #19
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Sure, stay with Pentax? Currently my nearest 28 is the f/1.8 31mm Limited. Fabulous lens!
... £600.00 ... affordable was the cue.

Old 04-10-2018   #20
Doug

Quote:
... £600.00 ... affordable was the cue.
Good point... I got mine 12 years ago and it was about that cost then. But the Kiron of the illustrated samples should be "affordable" as (also 12 years ago) I paid $74 for both the lens and the Pentax K2.

Old 04-10-2018   #21
nickthetasmaniac

I really, really like my SMC-M 28/f2 - depending on the day of the week it's probably my all time favourite lens.

Compared to a lot of the Pentax M series stuff it's not tiny (significantly bigger than the M f2.8 version), and if you stick it on a K series body you will be handling a decent chunk of metal and glass...

'Affordable' is relative... Mine was one of my more expensive Pentax lenses (second to the K50/f1.2), but much cheaper than any of my M-mount glass. Either way I've seen them come up for a lot less than 400€ (mine was 250usd). They're not common, but shop around and they certainly come up.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 04-10-2018   #22
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
How about a Kiron? As it happens, mine is a Pentax K mount, and here's a couple samples shot on a Pentax K2...
just as you sample shows, sharpness until corners of the Kiron ( also of my Vivitar made by Kiron ) is quite impressive

Old 04-10-2018   #23
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

+1 for the Vivitar 28/2. Cleaning the aperture blades of oil is an easy task so could be found very cheap if you aren't afraid of some simple work. The 24/2 is also very good.

I have an Canon FD 24/2, zero issues and a better lens than the Vivitar. Not that my sample size means anything but your fear may be a bit overblown compared to reality.

Old 04-10-2018   #24
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

I really like my old Nikkor-N 28/2, it didn't cost very much, it's beautifully made and the images always please... I always wanted the Pentax 28mm f2.0 but haven't got there yet!

Nikon F2SB - Nikkor-N 28mm f2.0 (Non Ai) - Kodak TMY2 400

Le Pont du Gard. Nimes, France. by Flat Twin, on Flickr

Old 04-10-2018   #25
eric4

I like my Pentax SMC-A 28mm f2 as well as my 31mm 1.8 Limited. They both feel nice in the hand, and deliver solid IQ on my K-1. If you do find the SMC-A, make sure there are clear photos of the glass, as I've seen copies with white bubbles forming.

A lens that is an excellent bang for your buck is the Kiron 28 f2. I've seen them sell for ~$30 on the big auction site

Old 04-10-2018   #26
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Hand held at full aperture. About 1/15th sec at f2.0

Nikon F3P - Nikkor-N 28mm f2.0

Saint Seine L'Abbaye. France, April 2017 by Flat Twin, on Flickr

Old 04-10-2018   #27
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Nikon F2SB - Nikkor-N 28mm f2.0 - Kodak TMY2 400

Le Pont du Garde, Nimes, France. by Flat Twin, on Flickr

Old 04-10-2018   #28
ptpdprinter

The advantage of the Olympus 28mm f2.0 lens is that you could use the single digit OM cameras. The OM1/2 viewfinders are large and bright and the OM3/4 with the 2-4/2-13 screens are exceptionally bright.

Old 04-10-2018   #29
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
+1 for the Vivitar 28/2. Cleaning the aperture blades of oil is an easy task so could be found very cheap if you aren't afraid of some simple work. The 24/2 is also very good.

I have an Canon FD 24/2, zero issues and a better lens than the Vivitar. Not that my sample size means anything but your fear may be a bit overblown compared to reality.
I have used Canon FD lenses for over 20 years without any issues at all. If you want to use the 28/2 on a Leica camera, the Canon is most useful.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-12-2018   #30
retinax

Thank you all!
The Canon ltm adapter is a good point, Raid. But although I would love a 28 on RF and and am as of late quite confident in my scale focusing abilities, with a wide lens I feel the close focus/framing ability of an SLR is more important for me.
Seems that all the different lenses are recommended, too bad, I was hoping to eliminate some possibilities.
In earnest though, this makes me lean towards the systems that I already have bits of: perhaps Pentax K, with aforementioned reservations, or Minolta or M42. For the latter two I have 50 1.4s, I haven't really tested them, but think I like the Minolta a little better, and I would like to try both the Minolta 100 2.5 and the Jupiter 9. The samples from the Vivitar 28/1.9 even seem to have a character that would go well with the Jupiter 9, a bit glowy wide open and with somewhat melty, if busy, OOF. And I like Spotmatics a lot except for the hard to find diopter eyepieces. Ha I think I've made my decision. Almost. This isn't urgent anyway.

Old 10-24-2018   #31
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Ha I think I've made my decision. Almost. This isn't urgent anyway.
Now, after half a year, is there a final decision?

Old 10-24-2018   #32
retinax

Quote:
Now, after half a year, is there a final decision?

Yes, Minolta it is. I've finally found a working XD-7 body (which needs repair and adjustment of the mirror stop, as I've posted in the repair forum) which is ergonomically close to perfect for me, a 35/1.8 has found me, as has a 28 2.8, and a deal on a Voigtländer Ultron 28/1.9 came along so that fills that spot for now, because I the last version Minolta 28 2.0 that I want never shows up on ebay or anywhere. No hurry.
Trouble is I can't seem to let go the Pentax MX and Spotmactic after all...

Old 10-24-2018   #33
narsuitus

Quote:
Trouble is I can't seem to let go the Pentax MX and Spotmactic after all...
Holding onto Pentax MX and Spotmatic cameras is no trouble at all. I primarily shoot Leica and Nikon but hold onto my Pentax ME and Spotmatic cameras because they are so darn good and useful.

Small 35mm film Cameras by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 10-24-2018   #34
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
Holding onto Pentax MX and Spotmatic cameras is no trouble at all. I primarily shoot Leica and Nikon but hold onto my Pentax ME and Spotmatic cameras because they are so darn good and useful.

Small 35mm film Cameras by Narsuitus, on Flickr

You're right, what I meant is that I've come to the same conclusion, I like having them, handling them, thinking I'll use them at some point... however I don't see myself as a collector so having unused gear is also annoying in a way, a bit of cognitive dissonance I guess.