Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Old 03-15-2018   #41
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I love my RC but now it is getting or has surpassed the 100 roll mark which according to Roger Hicks is about the life of one of these. Roger was probably doing a tongue in cheek, but little hints of impending doom are starting to crop up.
What are these hints of impending doom?

Russ

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Old 03-15-2018   #42
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
I love my RC but now it is getting or has surpassed the 100 roll mark which according to Roger Hicks is about the life of one of these. Roger was probably doing a tongue in cheek, but little hints of impending doom are starting to crop up.
Roger has a good sense of humor.

The RC is a great camera, capable of 2000 rolls or more providing its kept in a good state of repair. Any problems you are having with it now are age, not the quality of the camera.

Once upon a time I went to hear one of my photo heroes talk at the Santa Monica Civic Center, no less than Peter Gowland.
Offhandedly he commented he was amazed and delighted with the pics he got from his little Olympus RC.
I bought a RC the next day, and Peter was right!

Stephen

Old 03-16-2018   #43
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
What are these hints of impending doom?

Russ
Right now my biggest worry is about five frames each roll when using "A" have either a shutter or an aperture leaf that is lazy. Prior to that a light leak that was repaired by Rick Oleson (when he was still doing RC) he also did a great job on the CLA (loose focus ring, unglued frame counter, and a RF that was out). Here is a frame to show the lazy part (lower right):

TriX HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

I have to agree with Peter Gowland (I also think he was a great), I use my RC all the time. I still pre-measure the aperture with the meter and set it manually on important shots.

Old 03-16-2018   #44
retinax

Quote:
Right now my biggest worry is about five frames each roll when using "A" have either a shutter or an aperture leaf that is lazy. Prior to that a light leak that was repaired by Rick Oleson (when he was still doing RC) he also did a great job on the CLA (loose focus ring, unglued frame counter, and a RF that was out). Here is a frame to show the lazy part (lower right):

TriX HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

I have to agree with Peter Gowland (I also think he was a great), I use my RC all the time. I still pre-measure the aperture with the meter and set it manually on important shots.

Aren't edges of that brighter area too sharp to be caused by the shutter or aperture that are a bit away from the film? Could it be a development issue?

P.S.: Or a strange flare or ghost, the aperture is rectangular after all?

Old 03-16-2018   #45
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Aren't edges of that brighter area too sharp to be caused by the shutter or aperture that are a bit away from the film? Could it be a development issue?

P.S.: Or a strange flare or ghost, the aperture is rectangular after all?
Definitely not a development issue, I've thought and thought but I can't figure it out. I found someone else that had the same (exact) problem with an RC. He did the smart thing and got rid of it. I also thought about flare but haven't come up with anything repeatable. Thanks for your input, I agree it looks too sharp for a leaf.

Old 04-10-2018   #46
dourbalistar

I hope mine doesn't develop any gremlins, because I love this little camera.

Olympus 35 RC, Kodak 400TX.

2018.01.19 Roll #138-01729-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr