TMAX P3200 Introductory Price at Cinestill
Old 02-24-2018   #1
bayernfan

TMAX P3200 Introductory Price at Cinestill

It's going for $9.99/per everywhere else, so this is a nice way to save $30 on a brick. Free shipping over $75 as well.

https://cinestillfilm.com/collection...3200-36exp-135

Old 02-24-2018   #2
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Nice find! I'll do a little pre order to have some on hand. Maybe 10 rolls or so. Won't be my main film stock but it would be fun to have available

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 02-24-2018   #3
dshfoto

Anyone know how this works with Diafine?

Old 02-24-2018   #4
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'll be surprised if this is affordable here in Oz. 100 Tmax is currently sixteen dollars per roll here!

Old 02-24-2018   #5
f16sunshine

Nice heads up thanks!

Curious.
Why did kodak bring this back now?
This won’t save the company

I still have some in my freezer. Seldom have the occasion to reach for it.
Wonder how well it’s holding up as far as speed and possibility of fogging.

Old 02-24-2018   #6
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshfoto View Post
I tried it many years ago. Grain like boulders. Not what people usually mean when they say TMZ in HC-110 or whatever gives you "grain like boulders". I mean *real* boulders, the kind you can catapult against your enemy's fortress to breach the walls just before you launch your invasion across the moat.

Old 02-24-2018   #7
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Curious.
This wonít save the company

Wonder how well itís holding up as far as speed and possibility of fogging.
I was reading someplace the past few days (FPP?) where Kodak is looking to expand their film portfolio. Tmax 3200 was a logical choice.

I too, found a few rolls in the freezer. One is now in my old FTb. A few more shots to take then I can process it.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 02-24-2018   #8
x-ray

Quote:
Nice heads up thanks!

Curious.
This won’t save the company

Wonder how well it’s holding up as far as speed and possibility of fogging.
If it's like Delta 3200 it will be unusable four or five years past expiration. I had a dozen rolls I kept frozen that was unusable within a few years of expiration. High speed films don't keep well.

Old 02-24-2018   #9
Robert Lai

Thanks for the tip. I'm usually much more interested in slow speed films such as Rollei RPX 25, as I'm in the Southern USA, where the sun is quite intense. However, I am curious about this film, so I ordered it from Cinestill via your link.

Old 02-24-2018   #10
Chuffed Cheese

good price. hope it's not vaporware.

Old 02-24-2018   #11
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
If it's like Delta 3200 it will be unusable four or five years past expiration. I had a dozen rolls I kept frozen that was unusable within a few years of expiration. High speed films don't keep well.
I've got some TMAX3200 expired 02/2012 - the most recent roll I developed was 02/2016, and the results were still good. Sounds like I need to use it soon or lose it, if your experience is indicative. Thanks.
Flickr

Old 02-24-2018   #12
rfaspen

Oh, figured it wouldn't keep for long. My last roll (rolls, I discovered another) expired 2014. I guess I should find a reason to load em up before they become "collector's items". I feel better about my long expired Pan-X and Ilford Pan-F because slow films are slower to fog...but that's another story.

I may order up some TMZ just to have in the selection. It had its place and use.

Old 02-25-2018   #13
john_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'll be surprised if this is affordable here in Oz. 100 Tmax is currently sixteen dollars per roll here!
As much as I like to support the local outlets, the prices of film here at the end of the Earth are ludicrous.

Keith, I'm still going through the HP5+ you got for me in a bulk purchase. I wonder if there's a risk of xray damage if we get some from the US, given its sensitivity?

Old 02-25-2018   #14
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_s View Post
Keith, I'm still going through the HP5+ you got for me in a bulk purchase. I wonder if there's a risk of xray damage if we get some from the US, given its sensitivity?
In my experience, there is no risk. I only use 400 iso film when I travel abroad and in many cases my gear will get multiple x-ray scans. I never noticed anything that would imply that it was affected by the x-ray.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 02-25-2018   #15
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

no 120, however.

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 02-25-2018   #16
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshfoto View Post
As I recall, it doesn't work with Diafine. Flat negs.

Dante

Old 02-25-2018   #17
sanoire

I've been able to get from extremely smooth grain all the way to golf ball grain with this film. At first I developed it in TMAX developer and it was very smooth. Then, I went with XTOL and at higher dilutions it was also quite smooth and scans very well. With Rodinal 1:30 it gets quite crunchy but I like that. It's a film that, in my experience, with some experimentation can take on a lot of different looks.

Old 02-25-2018   #18
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:

Curious.
This wonít save the company
It won't. They took it off from production because it was not purchased enough.
These days with f1.1 and 1.4, 1.5 lenses available for moderately low price, it is going to be dead product as soon as novelty factor dies within few months time frame.

Releasing 3200 film on the year time then daylight is increasing in most of the countries for Kodak market shows how lost they are.

I don't need this film even for six bucks. I could get close enough result even with Kentmere 400.

Old 02-25-2018   #19
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Curious. Why did kodak bring this back now? This wonít save the company.
Nothing Kodak does in the film division will save the company. It is too small a part of their business as a whole. While I am not interested in TMax3200, I know some people are, and I am happy for them that they have their film back. Same with Ektachome.

Old 02-25-2018   #20
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
I tried it many years ago. Grain like boulders. Not what people usually mean when they say TMZ in HC-110 or whatever gives you "grain like boulders". I mean *real* boulders, the kind you can catapult against your enemy's fortress to breach the walls just before you launch your invasion across the moat.
Use a superior siege weapon, the Trebuchet

Old 02-25-2018   #21
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Nothing Kodak does in the film division will save the company. It is too small a part of their business as a whole. While I am not interested in TMax3200, I know some people are, and I am happy for them that they have their film back. Same with Ektachome.
Kodak is a zombie company, a dead man walking. They are seeing a disastrous drop in revenue and a even worse date in 2019 when they need hundreds of millions of dollars (that they do not have today) to pay off their preferred stock holders.

It is going to get much worse for Kodak before it gets better, assuming it ever does.

Old 02-25-2018   #22
Robert Lai

Way back in 1984 (that Orwellian year), I tried Kodak Royal 1000 color negative film. It was truly awful. Gigantic sandpaper grain. Washed out colors. I regretted using the stuff for an important event.

Since then I've gone to the opposite extreme. I had great days with Tech pan, shooting with ISO 12, and doing my own development in the Tech Pan developer. Contrast was always hard to tame though.
Kodachrome 25 for color .

Tried Pan F. Still a problem with high contrast with Ilford Pan F.
Worked very well in Ilfotec DDX.

So far, I'm in love with the look from Rollei's RPX 25.

Since this Kodak film was reintroduced, I've started to wonder what it may be useful for. So, I've pre-ordered some rolls of that, as well as some Delta 3200.

After more than 30 years, it's worth trying something again - high speed film, that is. And, exploring its possibilities with an open mind.

Old 02-25-2018   #23
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
These days with f1.1 and 1.4, 1.5 lenses available for moderately low price, it is going to be dead product as soon as novelty factor dies within few months time frame.

Releasing 3200 film on the year time then daylight is increasing in most of the countries for Kodak market shows how lost they are.

I don't need this film even for six bucks. I could get close enough result even with Kentmere 400.
The old P3200 was much..much cleaner, sharper, and just plain prettier than K400 and I like K400 (for edginess/grittiness not detail).
If this new film is the old film, folks will be happy.

Old 02-25-2018   #24
john_s

If you're interested in a comparison of Delta 3200 and TMax 3200 have a look at

http://www.butzi.net:80/articles/theater.htm

You'll have to use the wayback machine as Paul Butzi's web site seems to not be up.

The take-home message is that he found the shoulder of the Delta a disadvantage when taking photos in high contrast situations such as on stage.

Old 02-25-2018   #25
joeswe

Quote:

Old 02-26-2018   #26
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Kodak is a zombie company, a dead man walking. They are seeing a disastrous drop in revenue and a even worse date in 2019 when they need hundreds of millions of dollars (that they do not have today) to pay off their preferred stock holders.

It is going to get much worse for Kodak before it gets better, assuming it ever does.
Hi,

could you please give a valid source for ".....date in 2019 when they need hundreds of millions of dollars (that they do not have today) to pay off their preferred stock holders."

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-26-2018   #27
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Good god that's ridiculous!!!! I feel for you man. Those prices are simply awful. I hate digital but I think given that price I'd have to go that route.

Old 02-26-2018   #28
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Hi,

could you please give a valid source for ".....date in 2019 when they need hundreds of millions of dollars (that they do not have today) to pay off their preferred stock holders."

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers, Jan
Kodak was recently downgraded by two analytical firms and inside one of the reports was the information that preferred stock issued by Kodak had to be repurchased in 2019 at $17.50/share if the price was below that level (it's currently $6.xx/share). The conclusion of the downgrade was a statement of a near certain second bankruptcy. The stock plunged hard after these reports came out of course.

That report seems to be behind a paywall now so I can't reference it here. I am still looking for a free copy of it and will return here to post it if I am successful.

Edit: While searching for the above report, I found a different one, one that is sadly even more bleak about Kodak's future than the original one I referenced. Here's a snippet.

"Kodakís results and significant negative guidance revisions are not the result of an industry-wide slowdown; they are symptomatic of poor execution, an uncompetitive product set, and lack of operational visibility. Kodak shareholders are underwriting an increasingly vulnerable credit profile. In an S&P report following 3Q17 results, downgrading the rating on Kodakís credit to CCC+/Outlook negative, the agency noted diminished liquidity reserves, low covenant headroom and estimated recoveries of ~65% for the senior bank debt in the event of a default. 36 For retail equity investors unsure of the implications of that statement, it means that S&P sees so little value in the company that even the most senior of creditors will not be made whole and the equity is worthless."

"In our leverage and free cash flow forecast, we conservatively assume cost-saving measures succeed in keeping operational EBITDA flat and free cash flow improves from 2017 but remains negative. Even with this relatively optimistic set of assumptions, we estimate Kodak will violate its senior secured leverage ratio covenant of 2.75x by 1H19."

This is from a 21 page article that gives THE most thorough analysis of Kodak's financial metrics I have ever seen. In no instance does any metric look positive. Kodak's cash flow situation is absolutely dire. They need hundreds of millions of dollars to break even and their cash flow is trending downwards, not up.

That is why we are seeing this Kodak Coin scam. The situation is so desperate that anything that can generate revenue is being tried, despite it having almost no chance to succeed.

Old 02-26-2018   #29
Ted Striker

Conclusion:

Every groundbreaking innovation that captures market fascination has talented developers who apply the technology in a thoughtful manner. It also has imposters, looking to trade on the promise of the technology without any legitimate chance of delivering. Kodak has licensed its brand to the latter. As a result, the story behind the rise in its shares, which couldn’t have been scripted any more bizarrely, will not have a Hollywood ending. ICO proceeds and distant royalty revenue will not be enough to avoid equity dilution or a credit event. Eventually, possibly as soon as the next time Kodak reports earnings, a share price levitating on the hopes of blockchain technology will give way to the gravity of dying, old-world fundamentals.

Old 02-26-2018   #30
HHPhoto

@ Ted Striker:

Thank you for the information.

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-26-2018   #31
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
@ Ted Striker:

Thank you for the information.

Cheers, Jan
I wish the news delivered was more positive!

Old 02-26-2018   #32
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
Use a superior siege weapon, the Trebuchet
Will add one to my kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
...Diafine. Flat negs.
Yes, this too.

Old 02-26-2018   #33
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

@Ted

Isn't this film being produced by Kodak Alaris, which is a totally separate entity from Kodak USA? I don't think that that Kodak USA's financials have anything to do with Kodak Alaris.

In this article, it mentions that it is being made by Kodak Alaris.

Old 02-26-2018   #34
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Here we go again.

Phil Forrest

Old 02-26-2018   #35
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterdufus View Post
@Ted

Isn't this film being produced by Kodak Alaris, which is a totally separate entity from Kodak USA? I don't think that that Kodak USA's financials have anything to do with Kodak Alaris.

In this article, it mentions that it is being made by Kodak Alaris.
Eric- Kodak Alaris does not produce ANY film. They market Eastman Kodak's film. Eastman makes all movie and still film but only sell the movie film. Alaris markets the still film that Eastman makes. Unfortunately for Alaris, they are tied directly to the fate of Eastman at least with regards to film.

Old 02-26-2018   #36
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that.

Old 02-26-2018   #37
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Conclusion:

Every groundbreaking innovation that captures market fascination has talented developers who apply the technology in a thoughtful manner. It also has imposters, looking to trade on the promise of the technology without any legitimate chance of delivering. Kodak has licensed its brand to the latter. As a result, the story behind the rise in its shares, which couldnít have been scripted any more bizarrely, will not have a Hollywood ending. ICO proceeds and distant royalty revenue will not be enough to avoid equity dilution or a credit event. Eventually, possibly as soon as the next time Kodak reports earnings, a share price levitating on the hopes of blockchain technology will give way to the gravity of dying, old-world fundamentals.
Perhaps we should start a new thread on this, but I wonder what happens after they go belly up? Is everything liquidated?

Old 02-26-2018   #38
john_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
In my experience, there is no risk. I only use 400 iso film when I travel abroad and in many cases my gear will get multiple x-ray scans. I never noticed anything that would imply that it was affected by the x-ray.
I wonder if the scanning of parcels in the post is similar to that given to carry-on luggage on the one hand, or check-in luggage on the other. There are reported to be big differences between the two.

Old 02-26-2018   #39
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

Quote:

Have you ever used Kodak's 3200?

Old 02-26-2018   #40
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

This thread has taken a disturbing twist. Normally when someone predicts the demise of Kodak we all laugh and move on and tell ourselves that Kodak will continue on no matter what because after all didn't they put the power of photography into the hands of the average person who wasn't necessarily a photographer ... all those years ago. In many of our minds, (depending on your age) they are all but immortal.

Suddenly I'm not convinced!