Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rollei TLR diopters, where to find?
Old 02-16-2018   #1
muser53
MUSER53

Rollei TLR diopters, where to find?

I saw a nice Rollei TLR (Xenotar 3.5 E) in my area but it has a +2 diopter installed in the magnifier. Does anyone here know where I might source a non corrected magnifier.
Thanks in advance for any leads.
PJ

Old 02-16-2018   #2
f16sunshine

Check Ebay.
There are usually some there. Occasionally quite overpriced.
Expect to pay $50-$100.
You might also check with Oceanside or other Rollei Techs.
My understanding is it was not uncommon to change the magnifier "in the day".
Parts should be around.
Reselling that +2 should make up the price and then some of replacing it with a '0' .

Cheers!

Old 02-16-2018   #3
Timmyjoe

How are Rollei diopters rated? Like Leica or like Canon/Nikon? Most old 35mm film cameras came from the factory with a stock eyepiece equal to diopter level -1. I use one stop more positive than that, and where it gets confusing is that Leica rates the diopter I need as a "+1" (because it is one greater than stock), but Canon/Nikon rate the diopter I need as a "0" (because that is the final diopter rating if you add +1 to the stock -1).

How does Rollei rate theirs?

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-16-2018   #4
john_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
How are Rollei diopters rated? Like Leica or like Canon/Nikon? Most old 35mm film cameras came from the factory with a stock eyepiece equal to diopter level -1. I use one stop more positive than that, and where it gets confusing is that Leica rates the diopter I need as a "+1" (because it is one greater than stock), but Canon/Nikon rate the diopter I need as a "0" (because that is the final diopter rating if you add +1 to the stock -1).

How does Rollei rate theirs?

Best,
-Tim
The standard eyepiece is a fairly positive lens, so that the normal eye can see clearly the ground glass just around 50mm below. I don't remember the value but it's something like +10diopters (very loose guess). So an eyesight adjusting lens to replace that is that value plus or minus what you need. I'd love to get one rated at -1.0 but I gave up looking. Fortunately with a WLF one can move one's eyes a bit and it's not bad if you don't need a large correction. A similar situation occurs for the prism finder for the SL66 and not having the correct value for bad eyesight is more of a problem.

Old 02-16-2018   #5
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_s View Post
The standard eyepiece is a fairly positive lens, so that the normal eye can see clearly the ground glass just around 50mm below. I don't remember the value but it's something like +10diopters (very loose guess).
Looks like it's even a little higher: +13.5 diopters
Rolleiflex Diopters

Old 02-16-2018   #6
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craygc View Post
Looks like it's even a little higher: +13.5 diopters
Rolleiflex Diopters
That's enlightening.

I just use the standard magnifier and wear my reading glasses. Not ideal, but gave up on finding proper diopter years ago. Not like Leica/Canon/Nikon where the diopters are readily available.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-16-2018   #7
muser53
MUSER53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
That's enlightening.

I just use the standard magnifier and wear my reading glasses. Not ideal, but gave up on finding proper diopter years ago. Not like Leica/Canon/Nikon where the diopters are readily available.

Best,
-Tim
I only noticed this as I cannot focus the camera in question with the magnifier. This was not a problem with other Rolleis that were in the shop which had the std lens in the magnifier.