Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 02-15-2018   #41
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermaier View Post
When I think of a lens with "modern" rendering, I have in mind some of the following:
  • Higher contrast
  • Better color saturation
  • Decent resolution wide open
  • Lower tendency to flare/glow
  • Low chromatic aberration
  • More "density" in OOF areas

Now I'll put my foot in my mouth by trying to guess what sort of lens you used for your picture, going from a small JPEG of what looks like a film scan: l'd say it was made with an extremely clean vintage lens. It's not very modern in rendering, but nothing that screams "vintage" either.
Exactly this! And wider aperture goes and more "difficult" light it is the more obvious it gets.
Yet, f11 and sunny day isn't something special for many lenses. Or taken with flash.

Rigid I have tried was showing its age on M-E, but it was almost as good as modern lens. Even wide open.

Old 02-15-2018   #42
flagellum

Might be worth looking at the Voigtlander 50 1.5 in LTM, can be had for reasonably cheap compared to other lenses and is quite modern in rendering.

(Full disclosure, I have one for sale w/ the adapter in the classifieds).

Old 02-15-2018   #43
Brian Legge

So interpreting this as needing very modern coating, I'd suggest either the VC 50/1.5 or the ZM 50/2.

The 50/1.5 has been cheap in ltm ever since the M version came out. If you can deal with its focus distance limits, its a great deal. The 50/2 is simple a safe, solid option and is a can be found for very competitive prices on the used market. I'd throw the Konica 50 in there as well but I haven't personally used it.

I know this disregards a lot of great, older glass but you can easily spend more chasing clean copies in good condition before finding a good lens. The Canon 50/1.8 is probably one of the safest close-to-modern options but I'm not sure it would be what you want given your description. And you have to watch for fogging with them, etc.

Old 02-15-2018   #44
kermaier

^-- Yes, forgot about that -- the Konica 50/2 M-Hexanon is a superb lens, and can sometimes be found for under $400.

Old 02-15-2018   #45
f16sunshine

Just get the ZM Planar.... worth the money.
Ming Thein puts it near the Apo-Summicron.
From everything I've seen captured with it, it belongs there.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...=98280&page=15

Old 02-15-2018   #46
zuikologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Not coupled though...
Yes of course, I am too busy playing with Sony NEX these days!

Old 02-15-2018   #47
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I searched for some informal test pictures I took with two Industar lenses on M-E.
All of the images were taken at f8.

Industar-26M

This lens went to RFF member in Ontario. It was very adequate on bw film. On M-E I disliked it for swirl in bokeh and it was kind of not pleasing swirl.

Industar-61 with nine or so aperture blades. Not L/D. Also at f8.

It has aperture clicks (rough) and odd focusing ring. Not as "aggressive" as on later L/D, but slippery. I'm finding this lens difficult to focus due to this together with long focus throw.

I edited all four images to have more contrast and adjusted colors as well.

Old 02-16-2018   #48
retinax

There's also the possibility to hack rangefinder coupling to SLR 50s and adapt them to M mount, as Brian Sweeney has shown on leicaplace. Not too difficult apparently. They are huge of course in comparison (which I think I wouldn't mind from an ergonomic point of view). But modern fast lenses for little money.

Old 02-16-2018   #49
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
+1 Can't buy a $5,000 amp and stick $100 speakers on it....
Hmmm, but would anyone notice? In real life, I mean; not on forums...

Regards, David

Old 02-16-2018   #50
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
...Now I'll put my foot in my mouth by trying to guess what sort of lens you used for your picture, going from a small JPEG of what looks like a film scan: l'd say it was made with an extremely clean vintage lens. It's not very modern in rendering, but nothing that screams "vintage" either.
Interesting, thanks.

I picked what was almost monochromatic because (I hoped) there would be less clues at the edges and the colour contrast/interchange would be lower. Also because I thought it worked, or rather did what I wanted.

Would you like another shot from the same roll?

Regards, David

Old 02-16-2018   #51
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I searched for some informal test pictures I took with two Industar lenses on M-E.
All of the images were taken at f8.

Industar-26M

...This lens went to RFF member in Ontario. It was very adequate on bw film. On M-E I disliked it for swirl in bokeh and it was kind of not pleasing swirl.
Hi Konstantin,

I would have kept the lens and sold the M-E, but there you are ;-)

As for the new lens, I'll suggest the Zeiss 50mm f/2, too, but it's not exactly cheap. OTOH, it's great value for money and one of those lenses you keep despite the stupid lens hood.

The first thing I did with mine was put the lens cap in the safe and replace it with a dirt cheap bright red plastic one. You'll have to search for the price of a lens cap to understand that.

Regards, David

Old 02-16-2018   #52
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Hello, David.
M-E is my mother gift for my fiftieth BD. Lens was regular lens purchased on ebay and CLA'd, re-shimmed by me. Not only I sold this lens, but lens you have mentioned and another Cosina made 50 1.5 ASPH lens. Sold them all only to be able to purchase Cron V4 and realize what I don't need 50mm lenses this expensive.
I'm planning to sell it, get couple of another focal length, non-Leica, not too expensive lenses and buy some film.

I'm using clean MC filters and hoods instead of cheap caps. Cheap cap doesn't protect lens front element during exposure. Filter and hood does and it is also works as the cap.
The original cap usually goes in original box, in my case.

Old 02-16-2018   #53
splitimageview

Could always modify a 50/1.4 SMC-M Pentax with RF coupling. Ferider posted this mod here a few years ago.

Old 02-16-2018   #54
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Could always modify a 50/1.4 SMC-M Pentax with RF coupling. Ferider posted this mod here a few years ago.
I have one of Roland's modified Pentax-M lenses. A great lens overall.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-16-2018   #55
jsrockit

Really...

Modern with modern focus throws? ... hard to beat a Planar 50mm ZM and the Voightlander 50mm 1.5 LTM or M. They are just great for the cash.

Old 02-16-2018   #56
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Could always...
This part needs to be custom made.
https://ferider.smugmug.com/Technica...14/i-6H93RZS/A

Not something available to me.

Old 02-16-2018   #57
f16sunshine

It's been winter... It's still winter.
Being mostly indoors for months makes a 50mm seem too long.
Wait until spring and summer and you may remember why you got that V4 50mm Summicron in the first place.
Sounds silly but it's legit advice

Old 02-16-2018   #58
Gregm61

Quote:
+1 Can't buy a $5,000 amp and stick $100 speakers on it....
Oh, but I bet someone has tried, LOL...

There's always that person, looking for the least expensive way to do anything, whether it makes sense or not.

Old 02-16-2018   #59
Alex1416

I agree with several here that the best option for something modern is the Planar 50/2. You can find them for about 600 on eBay. I am going to post sell mine soon since i finally saved up to get a fairly modern summicron.

But if you really want something on a budget, you can't go wrong with the Canon 50/1.4 LTM. Its an incredible lens ahead of its time!!! Wide open at F1.4, its razor sharp, and none of that vintage glow/softness you get with other lenses prior to the 70's.
The only drawback, is that with most vintage lenses, you are limited to focusing at a minimum of 1m, compared to 0.7m on most modern lenses. If that is not a deal breaker for you, go with a Canon. A friend of mine also has the Canon 50/1.8 LTM and its the same story.
I got my Canon 50/1.4vlens for about $150 in excellent like new condition, and you can get a 50/1.8 for much less.
Here are only a pair of shots on my M240.
I have this lens permanently mounted on my M cameras. Its always on the 240 or my M3 (as seen on my profile picture). The quality of the images of this lens on digital and film never disappoint.

Leica M240 by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

Leica M240 by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

Old 02-16-2018   #60
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
It's been winter... It's still winter.
Being mostly indoors for months makes a 50mm seem too long.
Wait until spring and summer and you may remember why you got that V4 50mm Summicron in the first place.
Sounds silly but it's legit advice
Winter is the only time I would voluntary consider 50mm outside. Can't get close and fast enough with 35mm. Snow banks.

And I'm as outdoors in winter as in summer. Well... I'd rather go out at -28C then it is dry and calm, but will stay indoors at +28C, because it is often too stinky here (Lake Ontario humidity).

Old 02-16-2018   #61
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
What year is your I-61 L/D from, do you know?
I have a I-61 L/D that came with a late 60's FED 3.
The build quality isn't as good as my J-8 from 1956, but it isn't necessarily bad. The focus is smooth from end to end, aperture click stops nicely.
My I-61LD is from 1985 (assuming the first two digits of serial are the year). Its sloppy and cheap feeling in ways none of my other FSU lenses feel. Aperture clicks are fine though.

I suspect its a matter of both sample variation, and era. The ealier I-61s and I-26s look like better built lenses (e.g., from the 1960s) and my other FSU lenses from 50s and 60s (even 70s) are definitely better built than my I-61LD, much better. I often hear that more shortcuts and production trims happened in later years. There might be some truth to that.

Old 02-16-2018   #62
pagpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post

Canon 50/1.8 and 1.4 are good for me. I have both and rather like the 1.4, but I need to shim it for the Leicas. When I have time...
Whoa!! did I miss the memo? This is the first time I've read about needing to reshim Canon for Leica.

Can you say more? Thanks.

Giorgio

Old 02-16-2018   #63
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

It's beatable, mainly by better production in the Nipon Kogaku Japan sonnars

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
The J-8 is unbeatable. It is a clone of the wonderful Zeiss 5cm/2. You can find a good one for $40. If your budget allows it, go for a clean J-3. A clone of the amazing Zeiss 5cm/1.5 Sonnar.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 02-16-2018   #64
raid
Dad Photographer

... unbeatable for the cost of $40. I also have the Nikon 50/2 and 50/1.4 and ... etc.
There are many excellent options out there.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-16-2018   #65
rfaspen

Yes. First I would dampen the worries. Apparently, the Canon 50/1.4 often does a little front focusing on digital Leicas (I'm pretty sure its front focusing and not back focusing). On film I don't think there's any worries. The shift is small, and really only an issue wide open and close up. But, I happen to shoot wide open and relatively close.

I learned that its a "known thing" here on RFF when I posted about my lens being "off target" on the M9; I guess its not unusual and a shimming may fix it. Well, actually, a de-shimming in my case. I plan to someday open the lens and locate its shim (likely to have one) and replace it with a thinner one. Currently I can use the lens on film just fine (I compensate a little when WO and close) and I guess I haven't used it on a digital for a while but there's no reason not to.

And I should mention that I use the lens nearly exclusively on M-mount cameras. I have LTM cameras, but it never occurs to me to pair them with the 50/1.4 (too many other options to play with). But, its not an adapter issue.

Somewhere among the vast knowledge of RFF there are some posts (threads?) about the Canon lens on digital Leicas. If you have one, I wouldn't worry about all that front/back focus stuff unless you notice it and it affects your enjoyment of the wonderful Canon 50/1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagpow View Post
Whoa!! did I miss the memo? This is the first time I've read about needing to reshim Canon for Leica.

Can you say more? Thanks.

Giorgio

Old 02-16-2018   #66
Alex1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Yes. First I would dampen the worries. Apparently, the Canon 50/1.4 often does a little front focusing on digital Leicas (I'm pretty sure its front focusing and not back focusing). On film I don't think there's any worries. The shift is small, and really only an issue wide open and close up. But, I happen to shoot wide open and relatively close.

I learned that its a "known thing" here on RFF when I posted about my lens being "off target" on the M9; I guess its not unusual and a shimming may fix it. Well, actually, a de-shimming in my case. I plan to someday open the lens and locate its shim (likely to have one) and replace it with a thinner one. Currently I can use the lens on film just fine (I compensate a little when WO and close) and I guess I haven't used it on a digital for a while but there's no reason not to.

And I should mention that I use the lens nearly exclusively on M-mount cameras. I have LTM cameras, but it never occurs to me to pair them with the 50/1.4 (too many other options to play with). But, its not an adapter issue.

Somewhere among the vast knowledge of RFF there are some posts (threads?) about the Canon lens on digital Leicas. If you have one, I wouldn't worry about all that front/back focus stuff unless you notice it and it affects your enjoyment of the wonderful Canon 50/1.4
Im glad that was not the case with my copy. The moment it arrived i check on the M240. I focused on a fine point at closest focus wide open, and at the same time turned on the Live View with Focus peaking. To my joy and surprise, they were both exactly spot on!

Old 03-02-2018   #67
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Well, the Lens from Helen Hill has arrived! I'll have no digital M for sometime.
50 1.8 LTM on film:

Old 03-03-2018   #68
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Lokks Great Kostya
Love in particular the first One !