Plastic Fantastics
Old 01-26-2018   #1
Jack Conrad

Plastic Fantastics

Digging around my seemingly endless boxes of film cameras I've found at junk stores and garage sales over the past few years, I
dug out these little beasts. Funny how they all seem to have developed a sort of cult following, but I just can't get enthused enough to load them with film to take out and shoot. My bad.
I guess I enjoy the hunt more than I enjoy shooting.

Anyway, if anyone here is interested, I just put them up on eBay
as a 7 camera lot. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here.

DSCF4117 by jackcb, on Flickr

Old 01-26-2018   #2
robbeiflex

I picked up a Nikon L35AF dirt cheap on eBay a few years ago, and it is amazing - worth way more than I paid for it. I am occasionally tempted by some of the other similar cameras including some in your lot. Then I load up the Nikon, and on developing the roll the GAS passes. ;-)

Good luck with the sale!

Cheers,
Rob
"They say, ĎIf you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the darkí. The dark should stay dark. You canít really see that much, and you donít really want to see that much anyway.Ē Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 01-26-2018   #3
Steve M.

I never understood the fascination w/ these things either Jack. Maybe people liked them because they were small and light, and not many people would know you got a shot off w/ them? The phone has replaced all that these days. I don't like digital, but I do have one of those phones, and they're like Swiss army knives. If anyone ever comes out w/ a 35mm smart phone, I'm in!

Old 01-26-2018   #4
Jack Conrad

Steve, I still don't even have a smart phone. I feel like if I get one, it'll suck me into some sort of technological time continuum and I won't be able to get back to the 50's, where I'm more comfortable. Give me an old classic tlr or folder, or RF, or some such where its heavy, slow, mechanical and understandable. Love that vintage aesthetic.

Old 01-26-2018   #5
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

A Rangefinder forum member invented a 35mm viewfinder that uses Canon Owl parts.
I bought a new-never-used Owl for $5 + $9 to ship.
There must be millions of perfectly usable point n shoot cameras out there. Seems a shame but who cares?

Old 01-26-2018   #6
zuiko85

The only one I've had was the XA2, it was ok, lasted about 2 years then started to develop the habit of intermittent shutter release, I'd have to try several times to release the shutter. Don't know what happened, probably tossed it in the free box at a photo show.

Old 01-26-2018   #7
f16sunshine

Humbugsters !
Are you all the same lot that won't get into a Toyota Prius Taxi rather waiting for an old Yellow Crown Victoria to come pic you up?

Current silly price surge aside.....These little cameras are still potent image makers.
Pretty sure I'm not the only one around here who uses one. (actually I use 3 of the 7 you have posted and have owned all of them at some point).

Mju2 poked out the window of my truck in traffic.
mju2 2 by Adnan, on Flickr

Old 01-26-2018   #8
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

If sold to the "correct" crowd, you could buy a film Leica M with the money from the sales.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 01-26-2018   #9
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I never understood the fascination w/ these things either Jack.
Well, before digital... these AF cameras were a semi-affordable way to get decent quality in a pocket camera in semi-auto or auto-everything mode. I would imagine for the film crowd who isn't into digital... it is exactly the same reason why they are popular today. If you try to go a step above these... to something like a Contax T2 or T3... you are paying big dollars now (even more than when they were released). Something like the XA is popular because it is very cool to have a pocket rangefinder for less than $100. On a site like this, who could not get that!? I don't even use film anymore and I want one again.

I owned an Leica M6 in the 90s... but I also had a Contax T2, a Yashica T4, and a Leica Minilux... times were good!

Old 01-26-2018   #10
charjohncarter

Olympus Stylus Infinity is a great camera. You can open it and shot it with one hand. It fits in a dress shirt pocket, and you can shoot it from the hip if you are a spy. It also has an excellent lens (with a very slight vignette). I've had mine from new and still take it to events or traveling. Here it is in Ireland:

Untitled by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 01-26-2018   #11
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

They are "the smartphone cameras" from yesterday - 80s to early 00s.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 01-26-2018   #12
Uncle Brian

Nice little gathering of beasts you have there, the only one I have tried is the XA and it produced some very good images but was ultimately sold as it's too small for my rather large hands. I have considered a Nikon a few times but they sell for silly money so I passed, sellers want more for them than I paid for my OM4T.
How is the auction going?

Old 01-26-2018   #13
jsrockit

I would have spent the time to list them individually... you would get more cash for sure.

Old 01-26-2018   #14
Jack Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Humbugsters !

Nice shot of the work van, Sunshine. Too bad that stupid car got in the way.

e
Old 01-26-2018   #15
wjlapier

e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I would have spent the time to list them individually... you would get more cash for sure.
Let the potential buyer get the nuggets.

I for one hate splitting stuff up and dealing with several boxes of stuff at the PO. One box of tiny plastic cameras sounds fine to me.

Old 01-26-2018   #16
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
Nice shot of the work van, Sunshine. Too bad that stupid car got in the way.
Yes.. the camera did it's job regardless of the operator

Old 01-26-2018   #17
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Humbugsters !
Are you all the same lot that won't get into a Toyota Prius Taxi rather waiting for an old Yellow Crown Victoria to come pic you up?

Current silly price surge aside.....These little cameras are still potent image makers.
Pretty sure I'm not the only one around here who uses one. (actually I use 3 of the 7 you have posted and have owned all of them at some point).

They are plastic, they do not move me. I am not a photographer. I only like jewel like, all mechanical cameras precisely because they are Jewel Like All Mechanical Cameras. They make nice sounds and feel hefty in the hands, the controls move with purpose (and detents, oh how I love a great detent, with just the right resistance and feel). They need no battery to operate and my favorites have no battery at all. It's snobbery I'll admit.......but....I...can't....help....myself.

Old 01-26-2018   #18
Crazy Fedya

I had a similar, if slughtly larger, herd. When sold, it paid for CL with 40/2 Summicron and 50/2 rigid Summicron. I enjoy those a lot more.

Old 01-26-2018   #19
happy

It’s a seller’s market right now! You could probably get $800+ selling individually... not sure what you’ll get as a lot.

Old 01-26-2018   #20
Jack Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Itís a sellerís market right now! You could probably get $800+ selling individually... not sure what youíll get as a lot.
Don't know either, but I just got a question from someone. It reads:

"this is really not a question at all but i just wanted to say how utterly amazed when I saw all seven of these cameras in the same photo on my explore page! I hope this bid gets a lot of attention considering the serious amount of time and effort you probably spent on these legends!"

Old 01-26-2018   #21
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
DSCF4117 by jackcb, on Flickr
With the exception of the XA, i have used all of them. You need to like them for what they are - if you buy a T4 and expect a Leica MP then you will be disappointed.

Went to trip abroad with a cheap airline, i could carry only 10 kg of luggage, got my F5 w/50mm and a Mju-ii for the 35mm lens. It is a good compromise for me, carry one camera on hand and the other on in my pocket.

Taken with Mju-ii. Picture quality is very good.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 01-27-2018   #22
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

There's a lot going for these cameras when you don't want the weight, bulk and value of those big, heavy and expensive "pro" cameras to worry about.

They are everyday cameras you can carry around all the time and get good pictures with on the spur of the moment. Ideal when walking with the dog, shopping or out for a drink/meal with friends.

And if the thought of plastic offends then there's always the previous generation like the Konica C35 (a CRF with a Leica like tab on the 38mm, f/2.8 lens) or the Mamiya 135 EE which looks as though it came from the same stable but it a little larger and slightly different here and there. And there's all the Olympus 35 range of RF's and so on...

Regards, David

Old 01-27-2018   #23
Dralowid
Michael

I've been using a plastic SLR recently, Pentax MZ-M. Weighs almost nothing, costs almost nothing and works. Best of all, I understand it.

Old 01-27-2018   #24
ACullen

I like my XA but found it too light leading to camera shake at higher shutter speeds than I like. The problem with most of these P&S cameras is lack of manual override , ability to use bulk film cassettes etc.

I recently picked up an Olympus Pen W (half frame) and a Rollei 35S which offer all the control I want. I just need to be savvy enough to remember the DOF tables for their 25mm and 40mm lens respectively. The Pen W in particular is tiny and ever so quiet.

Old 01-27-2018   #25
Fauxtographer

The price on your auction is going to raise faster than bitcoin did last year. LOL The auctions for the Yashica T4 and Olympus Stylus Epic alone these last few months have brought insane prices. Good luck! I just wish you’d posted them here first so some of us who love these could have had first crack at them.

Old 01-27-2018   #26
Peter Wijninga

At the time, the MjuII was a decent point and shoot camera. Whatever price you can sell them for today...I don't really care.

Old 01-27-2018   #27
K14

Picked up a Yashica Auto Focus Motor and have had good results, close focus better than advertised.

Old 01-27-2018   #28
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACullen View Post
I like my XA but found it too light leading to camera shake at higher shutter speeds than I like. The problem with most of these P&S cameras is lack of manual override , ability to use bulk film cassettes etc...
Hi,

What's the problem with the cassettes? It's not something I've noticed with run-of-the-mill cassettes and P&S's.

Regards, David

Old 01-30-2018   #29
f16sunshine

32 bids with 3 days left... You may crack the $1k mark for these septuplets