Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

30mm f/5.6 lens
Old 01-04-2018   #1
Ted Striker

30mm f/5.6 lens

How many people here have the 30mm f/5.6 lens for their Hassy/Fuji panorama camera? Do you find this too wide to use often or is it your main, go-to lens? I don't have it and I find myself wanting it really bad. The problem is of course, the amazing cost.

Old 01-04-2018   #2
ellisson

I had this lens and rarely used it. You need the external viewfinder and special center-ND filter, often included with the lens, as they were in the original lens kit. The viewfinder leveling bubble is usually dried out due to age.

For me, the lens seemed 'redundant' on a panoramic camera that already provides a wide view. And the cost to get one in good condition, plus the loss taken at re-sale....be prepared if you do not find yourself using it much. I eventually sold mine after 4 months of re-listing on eBay at a bargain price.

Will be interesting to hear from others on their use of this lens.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 01-04-2018   #3
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisson View Post
I had this lens and rarely used it. You need the external viewfinder and special center-ND filter, often included with the lens, as they were in the original lens kit. The viewfinder leveling bubble is usually dried out due to age.

For me, the lens seemed 'redundant' on a panoramic camera that already provides a wide view. And the cost to get one in good condition, plus the loss taken at re-sale....be prepared if you do not find yourself using it much. I eventually sold mine after 4 months of re-listing on eBay at a bargain price.

Will be interesting to hear from others on their use of this lens.
You'd have to be a pretty poor salesman to take a loss on this lens. The sold prices for it are astronomical. Ebay shows that some have paid almost $3,000 for this lens. If I do buy it, it will be THE most expensive lens I have ever purchased. I have a Canon 85L and Nikon 24mm f/1.4 lens to sell to gather funds for it and even that won't be enough. Amazing.

Old 01-04-2018   #4
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Ebay shows that some have paid almost $3,000 for this lens.
For that price you can buy a couple of mint Widluxes with 25mm lens... I know, it’s a different type of camera, but I checked flickr for what xpan with 30mm lens can do... and I would go for Widelux instead...

Old 01-04-2018   #5
someonenameddavid

would it not be possible to adapt a 28mm PC Nkkor to the Hasselblad /Fuji

Old 01-04-2018   #6
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Image quality is really quite something. I’ve printed negs 24” wide on fiber paper that are crisp everywhere, and with the center filter illumination is quite even.

I like wide angles generally, and this was the most used lens when I had the XPAN.

Old 01-04-2018   #7
ellisson

Quote:
You'd have to be a pretty poor salesman to take a loss on this lens. The sold prices for it are astronomical. Ebay shows that some have paid almost $3,000 for this lens. If I do buy it, it will be THE most expensive lens I have ever purchased. I have a Canon 85L and Nikon 24mm f/1.4 lens to sell to gather funds for it and even that won't be enough. Amazing.
Thanks for the insult. Regret I even replied to this post.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 01-04-2018   #8
a.noctilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonenameddavid View Post
would it not be possible to adapt a 28mm PC Nkkor to the Hasselblad /Fuji
That was I have done before buying the 30mm Xpan.

Nikkor 28mm PC is big and vignetting at corners limited it's use.
Tried also Super-Angulon-R PC 2.8/28mm, even bigger and vignetting too.
Framing with the 28mm, I used 15mm Finder with a sort of adapted with black tape strips.
This is not precise framing.

Xpan 30mm is very special lens and not easy to use and find subjects to match it's field.

With the 30mm viewfinder, I use the "level" which is usable only for horizontal.
When in use Xpan 30mm excluded for many months my other 45mm/90mm.
Must be used with speedy film, with the filter it's an equivalent f/9 wide open: to be closed a bit for best IQ, so f/11 or 16 is the norm.
Results are great.

Comment on the price...
I don't understand the high price asked for this lens, maybe because it's good (people tend to keep it), and rarity .

As side note, old Noctilux lenses are even worse in high price, mainly 1.2/50 asph. variety, less with 1.0 which remain very expensive.
Sometime, the price asked for 1.0/50 is higher than the last 0.95/50 asph.

Old 01-04-2018   #9
didjiman
Richard Man

One of the great lens. If you know how to see wide, there's nothing like it. I have the native viewfinder, but I actually prefer the Zeiss 15mm VF with home marking

Old 01-04-2018   #10
snaefell

Quote:
How many people here have the 30mm f/5.6 lens for their Hassy/Fuji panorama camera? Do you find this too wide to use often or is it your main, go-to lens? I don't have it and I find myself wanting it really bad. The problem is of course, the amazing cost.
I was unsure about this in the beginning, too. What I did was to adapt the PC-Nikkor 2,8/35 (you get this adapters for around 25$ on Ebay) to the XPan. The complete viewfinder shows pretty exactly what will be on the film, so no extra viewfinders needed. This can also be done for the 28mm shift lenses. The downside of this lens is that it doesn't really cover 65mm, it is more like 61-62mm. So you loose some width and you end up with some heavy vignetting. This gets better, when you stop down the lens at least to 11, but it will not completely disappear.

I shot a few rolls and liked the much wider angle - so I finally ended up with a very reasonably priced 30mm (you can't speak of cheap here). I love this lens and will certainly not sell it again. So, if you are somebody who likes very wide lenses and can handle them (which takes some practicing, as I learned from using 14mm lenses on my normal camera), I think you will be happy with it.

Old 01-05-2018   #11
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaefell View Post
I was unsure about this in the beginning, too. What I did was to adapt the PC-Nikkor 2,8/35 (you get this adapters for around 25$ on Ebay) to the XPan. The complete viewfinder shows pretty exactly what will be on the film, so no extra viewfinders needed. This can also be done for the 28mm shift lenses. The downside of this lens is that it doesn't really cover 65mm, it is more like 61-62mm. So you loose some width and you end up with some heavy vignetting. This gets better, when you stop down the lens at least to 11, but it will not completely disappear.

I shot a few rolls and liked the much wider angle - so I finally ended up with a very reasonably priced 30mm (you can't speak of cheap here). I love this lens and will certainly not sell it again. So, if you are somebody who likes very wide lenses and can handle them (which takes some practicing, as I learned from using 14mm lenses on my normal camera), I think you will be happy with it.
Thanks for the ideas.

What is a reasonable price for the 30mm f/5.6 lens with finder AND ND filter? My research shows $2500 would be an absolute steal with $3000 or $3200 looking more likely.

Old 01-05-2018   #12
kbg32
neo-romanticist

I love this lens. It really is the X-Pan's go to lens for panoramas.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 01-06-2018   #13
snaefell

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas.

What is a reasonable price for the 30mm f/5.6 lens with finder AND ND filter? My research shows $2500 would be an absolute steal with $3000 or $3200 looking more likely.
I think you won't get much below $2500 these days. Depends on your funds and how long you want to wait.

Old 01-06-2018   #14
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Patience will pay off.and the Fuji versions are often less, plus have a nicer VF.

Old 01-06-2018   #15
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
For that price you can buy a couple of mint Widluxes with 25mm lens... I know, it’s a different type of camera, but I checked flickr for what xpan with 30mm lens can do... and I would go for Widelux instead...
Having owned mint condition F7 and F8 Wideluxes, their lens does not come close to the sharpness, rendering and flare resistance of any of the Fuji/Hasselblad lenses. Those Fuji lenses are spectacular.

I sold the Wideluxes, kept the Noblex 135 (better lens than the Widelux but still can be gimmicky with that swing lens camera distortion) and mainly use the Xpan2.

Old 01-07-2018   #16
Ted Striker

Quote:
I think you won't get much below $2500 these days. Depends on your funds and how long you want to wait.
I think you're right. I'm wondering how well one can skip the ND filter and just fix that in post after scanning. That is one amazingly expensive ND filter.

Old 01-07-2018   #17
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I didn’t always use the filter, sometimes used a yellow instead. But by the end of my time with it I would stack them. Never tried scanning the negs, I only wet print, and it was not always easy to correct there.

Old 01-13-2018   #18
Ted Striker

Quote:
Today's my lucky day! I bought the 30mm f/5.6 lens!!! I got the lens (mint) with the finder, ND filter, box, and documentation for $2400.

By far the most expensive lens I've ever bought!

I can't wait for it to get here.

Old 01-13-2018   #19
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Congrats! It is a gem.

Shoot well!

Old 01-15-2018   #20
snaefell

Quote:
Today's my lucky day! I bought the 30mm f/5.6 lens!!! I got the lens (mint) with the finder, ND filter, box, and documentation for $2400.

By far the most expensive lens I've ever bought!

I can't wait for it to get here.
Congratulations - have a lot of fun with it.
And if it'S not yours: You will be able to sell it without a loss. :-)

Old 01-15-2018   #21
lonelyboy

Yes, I am still having a 30/5.6 and using it:

Old 01-17-2018   #22
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

I have one XPAN II body and the 45mm lens. I used to have the 90mm and 30mm lenses too, but didn't use them much so I ended up trading them away.

The 45mm works well outdoors while the 30mm is a better choice for indoor shooting in confined spaces in my experience.

I regret letting the 30mm go, as there are times when it would come in handy; I am planning on replacing it when I can. I am still of the opinion that the 45mm is the best all around lens for the XPAN, but the 30mm is a close second.

Old 01-18-2018   #23
Ted Striker

I have a question about the 30mm lens. If you switch to non panoramic mode with your XPan/TX- camera, do you get accurate frame lines in the camera viewfinder? My guess is no, but that's only a guess. Perhaps this lens is only for panoramic use.

Old 01-18-2018   #24
snaefell

Quote:
I have a question about the 30mm lens. If you switch to non panoramic mode with your XPan/TX- camera, do you get accurate frame lines in the camera viewfinder? My guess is no, but that's only a guess. Perhaps this lens is only for panoramic use.
Yes, there is a frame in the middle of the viewfinder, see this picture:

Old 01-18-2018   #25
Ted Striker

Quote:
Yes, there is a frame in the middle of the viewfinder, see this picture:
Excellent. Thank you very much.

Old 01-18-2018   #26
snaefell

Quote:
Excellent. Thank you very much.
I found an even better one, this is a screenshot from the manual of the 30mm lens (found here) which also explains the meaning of the different markings:

Old 01-18-2018   #27
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyboy View Post
Yes, I am still having a 30/5.6 and using it:

Very nice looking image.

Old 01-19-2018   #28
Ted Striker

Quote:
I found an even better one, this is a screenshot from the manual of the 30mm lens (found here) which also explains the meaning of the different markings:

What is the difference between 8A and 8B? They are both at infinity focus.

Old 01-19-2018   #29
snaefell

Quote:
What is the difference between 8A and 8B? They are both at infinity focus.
I have no idea. For composing I use the frame like in B.

Old 01-19-2018   #30
lonelyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Very nice looking image.
Thank you.

Old 01-21-2018   #31
Ted Striker

Of course, I get my hands on the 30mm lens and the weather turns so drab and gray, absolutely the worst light imaginable.

Old 01-30-2018   #32
mpirie

Quote:
Of course, I get my hands on the 30mm lens and the weather turns so drab and gray, absolutely the worst light imaginable.
C'mon Ted, the weather must have changed by now? :-)

Old 01-30-2018   #33
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Too wide too much of the time. In today's overdeveloped world, I too often ran into a utility pole, sign, or remote weather station with such a wide lens. And with the necessary center filter, it is an f/8 equivalent lens even wide open.

The horizontal field of the 45mm lens is more useful; but it can be too limiting in the vertical plane. Pictures require some height in order to show enough foreground. The extreme aspect ratio, 2.66:1, of the XPAN is limiting in that way. Even 70mm Panavision is only 2.21:1!

For me, the ideal XPAN would have had a lens between 35 and 40mm. The 38mm Biogon of the SWC would be just about right. And I'd have made it with a 54mm gate width, not 65mm. That's so the film would be the right size for my Hasselblad PCP80 projector! Again, that's just for me! Others have made wonderful use of the 30mm. See, for instance, f/16sunshine's shot, above!

So what do you think I did? I sold my XPAN and shoot my outdoor panoramic with my SWC with its 38mm lens, or my 500CM with a 40mm!

Old 01-30-2018   #34
Niko

When i got my XPan it was a package deal with the body+30+45. I thought i would sell the 30mm (and get a reasonably priced basic set that way), because i had never been very familiar with that wide lenses in any format. It had always happened that very soon after starting to use a superwide i noticed all the photos iīd taken with it were just about the special wide-angle effect. But what happened ? I noticed liking the 30mm a lot already in the beginning. After 2 years with the XPan i love the lens, itīs my favourite even. The panorama format for me is the perfect way to use a lens even this wide. I like grain, so i donīt mind it being slow, just shoot ISO 1600 indoors. See my Flickr, if you like.