Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica General Discussion / News / Rumors

Help! Which Leica to keep? Please help me decide.
Old 01-08-2018   #1
pepeguitarra

Help! Which Leica to keep? Please help me decide.

Through several years only, I have accumulated a number of cameras and lenses and need to get rid of some because I don't use them much. I started late in life with the second wave of photography, but I cannot handle it. I am enamored of medium format, but I have a ton of 35mm. Please help me decide what I should keep (all the cameras have been purchased recently, less than two years with CLA done for the manuals):
I have: M3, M2, M5, M6, M8U, and M9. I will never sell the M8u, but I may be open to sell the M9. I rather keep one film and maybe one digital. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-08-2018   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Sell your 35mm ton, sell all M and get M10.
Use MF for film, M10 for digital.

Old 01-08-2018   #3
ptpdprinter

Not sure why you would never sell the M8. I'd much rather keep the M9 and not have to deal with the crop factor. As far as the film Ms go, which one do you like best?

Old 01-08-2018   #4
madNbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I have to agree. You would have an advanced full frame digital camera with no crop factor and free of any sensor problems. Selling the collection you have should raise enough funds and simplify which camera to use.

Old 01-08-2018   #5
aizan

i agree with them. i'd keep my favorite film m, sell all of the other stuff, and get an m10.

Old 01-08-2018   #6
Huss

The first camera I would get rid of out of that lot is the M8. Crop factor, small MB, will be a paperweight in the next couple o years when it fails as there are no parts for it.
Then I'd unload the M9 - same reasons as for the M8 but pushed a few years further.

The M240 is actually a rock solid camera, and cheap used now. Selling the M8 + M9 would get you one plus have $$ left over. Keep the M5, dump the rest.

Old 01-08-2018   #7
stompyq

Keep the M6. Sell everything else. Especially those two dinosaurs (the M8 and M9). Go out and try/rent any of the top FF digitals from nikon/canon/fuji/sony. Then decide if you would buy a M10. But seriously sell the M8 and M9 at the least

Old 01-08-2018   #8
B-9
Devin Bro

I agree with KoFe,

Sell it all.

Get a M240 or M10 and leave the film for MF.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 01-08-2018   #9
BillBingham2

I like the m8 and M9 for the M240.

What glass do you shoot with/intend to keep for the M world.

What sort of photography do you do these days? What film do you use? Do you develop it yourself or send it out?

B2 (;->

Old 01-08-2018   #10
f16sunshine

If you're enamored by the M8 than remove it from the sell list.
I understand the love of the M8.
Personally I would also keep the M5 to run your 35mm film through.... my favorite M the M5. Some agree others don't.

Sell the rest. Conservatively you'll have $4000 in sales... maybe more.
Since you're a rangefinder user..Try a GF670 or Mamiya 6/7 as they are both RF's.
Two beautiful medium format rangefinders.

Good luck!
I'm making changes this year myself.
It's fine to trim down after establishing your best tools to progress the work!

Cheers

Old 01-08-2018   #11
DwF

It is a balancing act between practical (sell M8 and M9) and emotional. I always value a camera by the images and events I have experienced or made with a particular camera. In that regard, both the M8, which I sold long ago for practical reasons, and M9 which I traded for my MM would be keepers. Any or all of these cameras are worthy of holding on to until they or I die. That said, there are always practical considerations that nag at me, and eventually win out!

Old 01-08-2018   #12
Deardorff38

PPG, I also use medium format more, so i think i understand your quandry. I'd keep the film M that you like most. For me printing is an important part of the process & i got tired of great iPhone shots....so I got a Leica MP and it's with me when the med format is not. My heart has always been with the M2.....but really which one do you love? Same for the digital.

Thank you and keep them coming....!
Old 01-08-2018   #13
pepeguitarra

Thank you and keep them coming....!

Thanks, so far I have lots of advice to study. The reason I like the M8u so much is the quality of the color, and the black and white itself. I have enough lenses to keep them all, about 7 50's, 4 35's, etc. I do develop my own film and scan it. However, I will start analog printing in a lab myself. I want to concentrate more in the old art of photography and try to produce some art, rather than document and testing, like I have been doing. My wife does a good job of documenting family affairs with the iPhone. I have the Pentax 6x7 and 645 MF film cameras, and the Rolleis. I want to keep only one Rollei, and one Pentax MF. I do want to stay away from digital because every year or every time there is a new model I would have to change or upgrade. I also have tons of UV/IR filters for the M8.

Old 01-08-2018   #14
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
Through several years only, I have accumulated a number of cameras and lenses and need to get rid of some because I don't use them much. I started late in life with the second wave of photography, but I cannot handle it. I am enamored of medium format, but I have a ton of 35mm. Please help me decide what I should keep (all the cameras have been purchased recently, less than two years with CLA done for the manuals):
I have: M3, M2, M5, M6, M8U, and M9. I will never sell the M8u, but I may be open to sell the M9. I rather keep one film and maybe one digital. Thanks for your input.
M6 and M9 for me...

Old 01-08-2018   #15
fenixv8

I have a M3 and a M10 and have owned a m8,m9 and M240.

I would definitely recommend what other folks have said. Sell everything keep your favourite film. and Purchase a M10. It will look closure to the look of the M8 than the M240.

Cheers

Old 01-08-2018   #16
Axel

I would keep the M6 and keep or fund a full frame Digi of your choice.
Easy lens selection without attention for a crop factor.

Old 01-08-2018   #17
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Thanks, so far I have lots of advice to study. The reason I like the M8u so much is the quality of the color, and the black and white itself. I have enough lenses to keep them all, about 7 50's, 4 35's, etc. I do develop my own film and scan it. However, I will start analog printing in a lab myself. I want to concentrate more in the old art of photography and try to produce some art, rather than document and testing, like I have been doing. My wife does a good job of documenting family affairs with the iPhone. I have the Pentax 6x7 and 645 MF film cameras, and the Rolleis. I want to keep only one Rollei, and one Pentax MF. I do want to stay away from digital because every year or every time there is a new model I would have to change or upgrade. I also have tons of UV/IR filters for the M8.
So, you are into the art with film MF and don't need any of film M and lenses, nor you need digital M. You just want to keep some of it unused.
Keep M8u and M6 then.

You will need money for art with MF. Would it be darkroom or else prints. Large paper is expensive. And chemicals, inks..
And it makes sense to art big from MF.

Old 01-08-2018   #18
narsuitus

When I was in a similar position, I put everything on the market and then kept the one that did not sell.

Old 01-08-2018   #19
Landberg

Keep the M5, sell the rest.

Old 01-08-2018   #20
Fraser

Keep the M9 and if the M2 is black keep that if not keep the M6.

Old 01-08-2018   #21
rfaspen

I can't do it. I tried to put myself in your shoes and decide which to keep and which to sell. I can't do it. I would have the easiest time selling the M8u (which I did at some point). I could also sell the M9 if it still has old sensor, but I would pick up an M240 in short order afterward. That would be OK: trade M8 and M9 for M240.

If you have other [non-Leica] 35mm film gear, maybe sell that? I'm trying very hard to start selling all my non-Leica 35mm film gear except the Nikon SLR stuff. That means many, many RFs, Pentax, Canon, OM, and Rollei SLRs, and plenty of other stuff I don't remember I have (hence the desire to address the problem). I always have difficulty getting rid of Leica though.

Old 01-08-2018   #22
Matthew Runkel

Quote:
Based on this, keep the M8u as your digital and reassess when/if you need to (no need to have an M10 for trouble-free full-frame shooting). M9 with the old sensor is not a good bet for an only digital body. If the M5 battery is is sorted to your liking, keep your preferred metered manual body; if not, keep the M6. Or keep the M3 instead if all you will shoot are 50s.

Old 01-08-2018   #23
BillBingham2

You might want to about picking up a Fuji GS645W. To replace the 6x7 and 645. I think together with the Rollie and a film M you should be pretty well set for film.

You have so much glass I'd say keep the M5 and sell the rest.

Bank the money you get for everything you sell and buy the next digital M if you feel the need. From what it sounds like the M8 will do for your digital desires. Might think about a Fuji X-E3 with an M adapter. Think you might be surprised.

B2 (;->

Old 01-08-2018   #24
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
i agree with them. i'd keep my favorite film m, sell all of the other stuff, and get an m10.
I would do the exact same.

Old 01-08-2018   #25
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
I always have difficulty getting rid of Leica though.
They will keep you company in your old age.

Old 01-08-2018   #26
retinax

If you want to focus on film and get a darkroom, sell both the digital Ms, they will be a distraction (If you want back into digital M in the future, better cameras will be cheaper!), get a compact instead if you need something to document with. Unless you need digital for low light or something. Which film M to keep depends on your preferred focal lengths.

Old 01-08-2018   #27
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
They will keep you company in your old age.
In a way. They will satisfy my "collector mentality" without taking up too much space. I do expect my film Leicas to work well beyond my death and my son has just enough interest in photography (currently likes digital more than film) that he might appreciate them.

What I really need to do is clear out the large quantity of non-Leica gear I have accumulated over the years. I take in orphans, fall in love with oddities, inherit gear, and so on. Before I know it, I have a lot of gear. Its an easy thing to happen when you have "collector mentality". I wouldn't call myself a "hoarder" as I have a strong desire to keep my living situation clear and efficient (get rid of unnecessary things). I just like cameras and lenses and learn the history behind them and the unique or rare qualities of some of them, and well....I get hooked.

I admire the OP (pepeguitarra) for keeping life simple. Although...I think he has more than a few lenses??? Maybe that's next

Old 01-08-2018   #28
Bille

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
Unless you need the money, put them away in boxes for a couple weeks and see what you miss.

Personally, I´d keep the M6 for film rather than M3 or M2, but this is highly subjective. The M8u is a nice camera and I hear it doesn´t rot like the M9 does. (https://leicarumors.com/2017/05/15/l...5th-2017.aspx/)

Old 01-08-2018   #29
pepeguitarra

My M9 had the sensor changed about a year ago, maybe more. It is really nice camera. The M8u is a workhorse and had special rendition of B&W. The problem with selling he digitals is that I will not be able to recover 1/4 of what I paid for them. I rather keep them. The mechanical Ms appreciate in value more than the digitals.

Old 01-08-2018   #30
pepeguitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
In a way. They will satisfy my "collector mentality" without taking up too much space. I do expect my film Leicas to work well beyond my death and my son has just enough interest in photography (currently likes digital more than film) that he might appreciate them.

What I really need to do is clear out the large quantity of non-Leica gear I have accumulated over the years. I take in orphans, fall in love with oddities, inherit gear, and so on. Before I know it, I have a lot of gear. Its an easy thing to happen when you have "collector mentality". I wouldn't call myself a "hoarder" as I have a strong desire to keep my living situation clear and efficient (get rid of unnecessary things). I just like cameras and lenses and learn the history behind them and the unique or rare qualities of some of them, and well....I get hooked.

I admire the OP (pepeguitarra) for keeping life simple. Although...I think he has more than a few lenses??? Maybe that's next
I have been called a hoarder by relatives. I just retired and we are moving to a smaller place. My wife has this thing call Feng Shui, or something like that, that requires getting rid of things you do not use. Not fair. I have to sell my 17 guitars too.

Old 01-09-2018   #31
jsrockit

Quote:
I have been called a hoarder by relatives. I just retired and we are moving to a smaller place. My wife has this thing call Feng Shui, or something like that, that requires getting rid of things you do not use. Not fair. I have to sell my 17 guitars too.
What is she getting rid of on her end?

Old 01-09-2018   #32
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Her husband?

Old 01-09-2018   #33
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
If it were me, I would keep the M3 and sell everything else to buy an M10 with the proceeds.

Old 01-09-2018   #34
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I too vote for this option.

Should the M8u LCD screen fai,l it's game over.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-09-2018   #35
pepeguitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
That is the problem she got rid of everything except the luggage. We are suppose to travel...... Santiago querido is among those destinations, btw. But I need my small camera for traveling.

Old 01-09-2018   #36
css9450

Quote:
I have: M3, M2, M5, M6, M8U, and M9.
What, no M4? Tell your wife you need an M4.

Old 01-09-2018   #37
Huss

Keep it real. Dump everything and get an M1

Old 01-09-2018   #38
pepeguitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Keep it real. Dump everything and get an M1
Do you have one for sale, with the RF on it?

Leica M1 by K. Besios, on Flickr

Hi Huss; I am in O.C., I am going to have to stop in Venice to chat about it.

Old 01-09-2018   #39
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Well, um, she's into this Feng Shui and you've no objections so in return you should be allowed to be into photography, camera collecting or whatever...

Regards, David

PS Keep the M2 and M9 and keep the M9 coded lenses as they will work with both.

Old 01-09-2018   #40
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Why sell anything? I could understand if you needed the money or if they were taking up room that you HAD to have for something else or the wife is threatening to leave you over it but other than that, why??? I've never understood the "I'm not using it" rationale. Then there are all those comments that regret selling it. Keep them in a secure dry area and every once in a while excercise them. The good stuff will just get more valuable for your children.