Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

Any hesitation buying a used XE2?
Old 04-04-2016   #1
nightfly

Any hesitation buying a used XE2?

Thanks to a previous thread on what Fuji for an m9 user I'm looking at getting an XE-2. Just wondering if anyone would hesitate to pick one up used? Not going to be my primary camera so don't really want to buy new if I can avoid but know sub $1000 digital cameras aren't exactly built to last.

Old 04-04-2016   #2
back alley
IMAGES

the xe2 has been on sale for awhile, locally anyway...
as for used, if you find a good one go for it...with the upgraded firmware (ver 4) i am really enjoying using my 2 xe2 bodies....

Old 04-04-2016   #3
nightfly

I seem to have missed some sales here at Adorama a few weeks back judging by http://www.fujirumors.com/category/deals/. Looking for a black one. They seem to be full price everywhere which is weird with the XE2s out. Most places have them at same price.

Old 04-05-2016   #4
konicaman
konicaman

I know that it is not statistically significant , but I bought a use XE2 before x-mas with no problem. Upgraded it and it runs like a charm. Got it from Wex Photographic (no connection and all that) for app. half the price. I would get one from a reputable dealer and pay the few extra bucks. Never heard of one that failed so far.

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 04-05-2016   #5
jsrockit

Why would you hesitate?

Old 04-05-2016   #6
Saul
fighting inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Why would you hesitate?
Don't some folks mistrust used electronics in terms of previous wear and tear?

Old 04-05-2016   #7
jsrockit

They might Saul, but is it really warranted? These cameras are pretty durable and most people take care of their stuff (most even baby their cameras).

Old 04-05-2016   #8
wrenhunter
RF newbie

I bought a used one last fall and it was great. I did end up "replacing" it with a new one via the Adorama kit deal in January, so I sold a great XE-2 as well as bought one

If you can buy one from a local store, or from one of the forums where feedback is posted, I'd say go for it.

Camera: Fuji X-Pro2 /Fuji X-M1 / CV Bessa R / Holga 120N / CV Bessa L / Rollei 35S / Yashicamat 124G
Lens: Fuji 27mm / Fuji 18mm/ Samyang 8mm / CV 21/4 / CV 35/2.5 / CV 50/1.5 / Jupiter-8 / Jupiter-9 / Leitz 90/4 Elmar

My Gallery
My Friend Flickr

Old 04-07-2016   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Bang on! Used XE2 is affordable now! Lovely colors, sharp bw, high ISO while four times less expensive comparing to old used M8.

I'm thinking of getting used XE2 to have my Summarit 35 2.5 on digital body. I really like the lens.

I understand it should work for zone focusing. Zone focus with lens, press XE2 shutter release, picture will be taken. Quick&Dirty.

But I'm hesitant to get XE2, because I still can't find out how EVF is going to work with lens at f8, not to mention f16 (not enough light) and if any of manual focusing modes will works with Summarit without switching to zoom view or without having dual windows in EVF. All I want from XE2 is to have bright view in EVF at f5.5-8 set on Summarit and split image or whatever in the middle of the normal view. Just like focusing with split image in classic SLR VF. No switching, no picking, no zooming.

Just can't find information/confirmation anywhere....

Old 04-07-2016   #10
nightfly

I picked one up on the auction site. Going to be a travel camera where my M9 is a little heavier than I would like (backpacking). Also bought a Fuji 18/2 to keep things small.

Old 04-07-2016   #11
wrenhunter
RF newbie

Awesome! I just got an 18mm myself, loving that lens!

Camera: Fuji X-Pro2 /Fuji X-M1 / CV Bessa R / Holga 120N / CV Bessa L / Rollei 35S / Yashicamat 124G
Lens: Fuji 27mm / Fuji 18mm/ Samyang 8mm / CV 21/4 / CV 35/2.5 / CV 50/1.5 / Jupiter-8 / Jupiter-9 / Leitz 90/4 Elmar

My Gallery
My Friend Flickr

Old 04-07-2016   #12
nongfuspring

I have an X-E1 that has been around the world 5+ times, to something like 15 countries, has been rained on, dropped onto concrete more times than I can count, been in dust storms, rainforests, etc. Has no paint on the corners/sides, rubber hand grip has come off, all my lens hoods are warped. With the exception of the AF mode switch not working properly (recent issue) it actually works just fine. They don't feel particularly durable because they're light and have a plastic rear section, but they're actually pretty hardy because of that lack of weight - at least in my experience.

tl;dr I wouldn't hesitate to buy an X-E2 used so long as it's in good condition.

Old 02-25-2017   #13
Sylvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Bang on! Used XE2 is affordable now! Lovely colors, sharp bw, high ISO while four times less expensive comparing to old used M8.

I'm thinking of getting used XE2 to have my Summarit 35 2.5 on digital body. I really like the lens.

I understand it should work for zone focusing. Zone focus with lens, press XE2 shutter release, picture will be taken. Quick&Dirty.

But I'm hesitant to get XE2, because I still can't find out how EVF is going to work with lens at f8, not to mention f16 (not enough light) and if any of manual focusing modes will works with Summarit without switching to zoom view or without having dual windows in EVF. All I want from XE2 is to have bright view in EVF at f5.5-8 set on Summarit and split image or whatever in the middle of the normal view. Just like focusing with split image in classic SLR VF. No switching, no picking, no zooming.

Just can't find information/confirmation anywhere....
On the XT-1 there is a mode for "Studio" as if you were using flashes for the viewfinder. I'm pretty sure you could use that instead of previewing your exposure.

Old 01-07-2018   #14
kshapero
Press the Shutter

I just found a new XE2s for $349. I punched the buy button.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-07-2018   #15
pixelvandal

I had a Xe2 a while ago that i had no issues with, probably the best bang for buck in the fuji lineup, ever since the new firmware came out, the much improved response time from the Xe1 evf, it is a great little camera. only sold it as i got the xt1 for the bigger evf again.

Old 01-07-2018   #16
siracusa

I found myself in the happy position of being able to afford a new camera, and got myself the X-T2. I like it so much that I bought my partner (who takes better photos than me but doesn't have a decent camera) an X-E1 when I spotted a mint used example in my local camera shop. I'm mighty impressed with the X-E1, using both X mount lenses and adapted Leica lenses. It makes me wonder why I spent so much buying an X-T2. I'm sure you won't regret an X-E2 if you get one.

Old 01-07-2018   #17
shawn

XE2 is a sweet little camera. Pair it with the 27mm for a great walk around camera.

Shawn

Old 01-07-2018   #18
f16sunshine

Yes ^^^^^
Perfect match for 27mm
I’ve sold all my Fuji but the XE1 and 27mm.
It does what I need it to do.
Might rather have some more processing power/speed.
The XE2 gives a bump in that department. Images are similar enough (16mp xtrans)

Old 01-07-2018   #19
teddy
Jose Morales

I wouldn't hesitate. Great JPG colour, more than enough resolution for anything. Lenses are sharp. Does its job.

Old 01-07-2018   #20
Dogman

While the OP made his decision on this long ago (he posted almost two years ago), I'll go ahead and agree that I would have no hesitation buying a used X-E2. In fact, I did. Twice. Well, one was an X-E2S that B&H had for sale as an "open box" deal but the other was a "like new" X-E2. Both have been great little cameras. Both are sorta dedicated to certain lenses--one to the 18mm and the other to the 18-55mm zoom. They're nice little cameras that perform really well.

Old 01-07-2018   #21
ptpdprinter

No hesitation.

Old 01-07-2018   #22
x-ray

My brother has an XE-1 he's had since they came out and he's very pleased with it. I made the mistake of shooting with it a few times and decided to buy a Fuji X camera. About 4 weeks ago I found new black XE-1 bodies on the auction site for $311 and couldn't resist. I bought it with a Nikon AI, Nikon G and Leica M adapter thinking I'd use it with my Nikon and Leica glass. Well the week I received it my brother did it again. He said try theseclenses. I slipped his 23 f2 on and then his 18-55. Big mistake, I'm now the happy owner of an 18-55 and will buy the 55-200 later. I'm absolutely stunned at the quality of images, lens and body. I updated all the firmware and it's an amazing camera for what I wanted it for. I was looking to replace a Nikon D3100 I gave a friend that trashed his D300 and just wanted something small and simple to toss in the car and to carry on vacations. It not only fit that bill but I'm getting ready to go to Wisconsin and several other states on an annual report shoot and I'm going to slip the XE-1 in my bag with my AI adapter and 18-55 as a backup for my Nikon. The images are that good!

A good friend just saw my XE-1 and bought a refurb from Roberts Camera got $475 with the 18-55 and it carries a Fuji 6 month warranty.

I previously owned an M9 and in all honesty, and I've used Leicas for fifty years, I wouldn't trade my XE-1 for a carload of M9's. Image quality of the XE is easily as good as the M9 and far more reliable. Optically the Fuji lenses are right there with the ASPH Leica glass.

You might say I'm very happy with my XE1 and lens.

I thought about a used one but was concerned about things like a scratched sensor or one that had been dropped so that's why I bought the new XE-1.

Old 01-07-2018   #23
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post

I previously owned an M9 and in all honesty, and I've used Leicas for fifty years, I wouldn't trade my XE-1 for a carload of M9's. Image quality of the XE is easily as good as the M9 and far more reliable. Optically the Fuji lenses are right there with the ASPH Leica glass.
Try the 35mm f1.4!

Shawn

Old 01-07-2018   #24
f16sunshine

^^^
Yeah the f1.4/35mm is pretty amazing for what it costs.
Compares optically to much more expensive lenses... truly.
Fuji definetly gets a nod for value.

Old 01-07-2018   #25
Landberg

Honestly i think all Fuji cameras before x-pro2 and x-t2 are a pain in the ass to use. I have owned x100, x100s, x100t & x-pro1. I also tried the x-t1 and the x-e2 because fuji claimed them to be fast, but they are not. GREAT photos from every camera. But the auto focus is just bad, not just slow, it hunts and misses the target. If bad auto-focus is no issue then go for it. Otherwise buy something else. (also, i have not tried them with the newer 23 & 35 and so on).

I hesitated a long time before buying the X-pro2 cause of the previous fujis. But it's nothing like the old ones. The x-pro2, x-t2 and the other newer ones are so much better it's not even fun to compare.

But hey, this is just my thoughts. No one has to agree!

Old 01-07-2018   #26
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Try the 35mm f1.4!

Shawn
My brother has the 35 1.4 and he's offered to let my borrow it but I know if I do I'll want one. I'm trying to keep the package as small and light as I can for vacation travel. I'm going to Glacier Montana again this year and think two zooms will be my best option. I want to keep everything in my Domke F5XB.

Old 01-07-2018   #27
shawn

You can fit the Fuji and three lenses into a F5XA. I do it all the time. A F5XB can hold 5 lenses and a camera. Get two rear lens caps and glue them back to back and you can fit two primes in each slot in the Domkes.

Here is a F5XB with the XE2 with 35 1.4 attached, the 18-55 back to back with the 18mm f2 and the 55-200 next to them. Batteries are in the front pouch.

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6193.jpg (50.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6196 2.jpg (53.6 KB, 9 views)

Old 01-07-2018   #28
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landberg View Post
Honestly i think all Fuji cameras before x-pro2 and x-t2 are a pain in the ass to use. I have owned x100, x100s, x100t & x-pro1. I also tried the x-t1 and the x-e2 because fuji claimed them to be fast, but they are not. GREAT photos from every camera. But the auto focus is just bad, not just slow, it hunts and misses the target. If bad auto-focus is no issue then go for it. Otherwise buy something else. (also, i have not tried them with the newer 23 & 35 and so on).

I hesitated a long time before buying the X-pro2 cause of the previous fujis. But it's nothing like the old ones. The x-pro2, x-t2 and the other newer ones are so much better it's not even fun to compare.

Disagree to a point on the earlier cameras (with later software) but totally agree about the XP2. That thing is a DSLR hiding in a rangefinder body, esp. with something like the 100-400.

Shawn

Old 01-07-2018   #29
Landberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Disagree to a point on the earlier cameras (with later software) but totally agree about the XP2. That thing is a DSLR hiding in a rangefinder body, esp. with something like the 100-400.

Shawn
Oh! I have not tried the latest firmwares.

Old 01-07-2018   #30
benlees

I just bought a used Xpro1 for a decent price ($350 CDN with MHG grip) and updated to the latest firmware. I haven't had a good run with it. Hopefully it will perform well with the 23mm F2...

Old 01-07-2018   #31
shawn

Quote:
The XE2 is pretty surefooted with the latest firmware. Not a speed demon but a step up from the first generation cameras that lack phase detect. At least for AF-S, haven't really used the XE2 for AF-C. AF-C works great on the XP2 though.

Even the first generation cameras did improve with firmware upgrades but they do hunt more and take more time.

Shawn

Old 01-07-2018   #32
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
My brother has the 35 1.4 and he's offered to let my borrow it but I know if I do I'll want one. I'm trying to keep the package as small and light as I can for vacation travel. I'm going to Glacier Montana again this year and think two zooms will be my best option. I want to keep everything in my Domke F5XB.
It's extremely sharp, as good or better than Leica in image quality. What more could you want? Lots of things of course but you'll love it and realize how good the 35/1.4 is. I just grab mine and shoot - no hesitation, no thinking twice. I know it's good. Apply good technique and the XE-1 is fantastic. I've been to Glacier in Montana about 13 years ago - I wish I had a camera in those days. Enjoy!

Old 01-07-2018   #33
ACullen

Quote:

I've had an X100 for 6 years and an XE2 for 3 years. AF is slow on both cameras. It matters more to me in real world use on the XE2 when using the 90mm f2, it's nowhere near fast enough for sports use. The lens are razor sharp. The only PITA is the poor ability of LR to handle RAW files from the XE2, which means that these files have to pass through a plug in RAW converter.

Old 01-08-2018   #34
Dogman

Quote:
Firmware updates on the older Fujis are a requirement for the best performance. I'm sure the newer models improve on their performance but even my X-Pro1's with the 23/2 and 35/2 have snappy and highly accurate AF. Upgrading the firmware of the X-E2 gives it the same features and performance as the later X-E2S model. Of course AF is also partly lens dependent and some Fuji lenses like the 60mm will always be on the slow side no matter what camera is used.

I don't shoot sporting events or other dynamic activities so super speed AF is not a big priority for me. But the firmware updated XP1, XT1 and XE2 cameras have extremely accurate AF (even in low light) with more than adequate speed for my normal shooting.