Old 11-29-2017   #41
brennanphotoguy

Just because someone doesn't see a point in spending $13k on lens that a $2000 Canon lens can already do doesn't make them small minded. Or if you want to stay M mount you can get a 75mm Summilux for less than $5000 and have 99% of what this lens is.

Old 11-29-2017   #42
Emile de Leon

The images look wonderful...maybe worth the price of admission...

Old 11-29-2017   #43
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
Leica just threw another log on the fires of Leica hate that burn in the bellies of the small minded; good for them!
I *love* when I read "Leica announces ....." partly because I know that the the internet commentary will amuse us for a week or so.
And partly because I use their pricing to calibrate my wife's mind on what I need for gear.

Old 11-29-2017   #44
Huss

Quote:
Leica just threw another log on the fires of Leica hate that burn in the bellies of the small minded; good for them!

Wait, so this lens is the equivalent of acid reflux?

Old 11-29-2017   #45
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
The images look wonderful...maybe worth the price of admission...

I got a Zenit Helio 85 1.4 that does better. Got it with a coupon that came with that case of canned tuna (in olive oil, line caught)

Old 11-29-2017   #46
Emile de Leon

LOL..
Give me 2 of em...always need a backup...

Old 11-29-2017   #47
JHutchins

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Users of the Summilux 75/1.4 already report online how difficult itis to focus this lens. Now, make the max aperture even larger, and have fun trying to challenge your eye sight!
Part of what makes it difficult to focus the 75 Summilux is focus shift. Presumably this will not have the same difficulties.

Though with depths of field as shallow as this even with a well magnified rangefinder or, for that matter, an evf or SLR you'll need some patience and focus bracketing if you want very precise focus just because small shifts in body position will matter a lot.

But I like the fact that Leica is willing to push limits and put out some crazy damn the cost stuff.

Old 11-29-2017   #48
JHutchins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I don't see the attraction of using 75/90/135 lenses on a rangefinder camera. You are essentially using the equivalent of the SLR microprism to focus and frame. I have always seen rangefinder cameras as best for 28/35/50 lenses. Using one viewfinder to focus and another to frame with lenses wider than 28 also seems a real kludge. How can you possibly work quickly?

I think lots of people who shoot with really wide lenses don't bother focusing every shot. I use a 21 routinely and certainly make no attempt to focus every time.

And it's true enough that there are camera bodies much more suitable than a Leica M for use of longer lenses (though I don't really think of a 75 as so very long). But there aren't a whole lot of lenses better for portraits than the 75 Summilux or even the 50 Summicron DR. Strikingly beautiful results come so freely from those lenses that you use the camera they're made for.

Old 11-29-2017   #49
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I had the 85 1.2 L for the EOS and if the FD is the same glass it's up there with the best of the best even at 1.2. I'd even go so far as to say the 85 1.2 performs better at 1.2 than the Summilux 75 at 1.4.
I have the Canon FD 85/.12L and also the Summilux 75/1.4. Both are superb lenses.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-29-2017   #50
x-ray

Quote:
I have the Canon FD 85/.12L and also the Summilux 75/1.4. Both are superb lenses.
Never had the FD but had the EOS version and loved it. When I switched back to Nikon from Canon that was the lens I hated to give up. I guess I've had my 75 Summilux at least 12 years and probably longer. On my M's it and my 35 Summicron v1 are my two most used lenses.

As to the above comment about focus shift, I only use my 75 summilux on film usually wide open or near wide open and have never observed a focus shift. Perhaps it only on a digital sensor.

Leica 75mm f/1.25 Noctilux
Old 11-29-2017   #51
bherman
bherman

Leica 75mm f/1.25 Noctilux

Yes, I'm sure that for some of us, the Leica 75mm f/1.25 Noctilux might be difficult to focus on an M or M10, but it should be easier with the optional EVF/Visoflex and even better on the SL.

I know several people who have the 50mm F/0.95 Noctilux on the SL and nail most (95%) of the images, even wide open.

-Brad

Old 11-29-2017   #52
raid
Dad Photographer

Using the M240 with LiveView will make focusing very easy.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-29-2017   #53
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
I *love* when I read "Leica announces ....." partly because I know that the the internet commentary will amuse us for a week or so.
And partly because I use their pricing to calibrate my wife's mind on what I need for gear.
But honey, the 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH FLE is less than half the price! They're practically giving it away!

My wife sews. Sewing machines are expensive - she has two that equal the cost of my camera gear. But where I spend maybe $2-300/year on film, fabric cost about $50-100/item! On one hand I can easily justify my spending relative to hers, but on the other hand, if I do we'll be broke!

Old 11-29-2017   #54
GarageBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I don't see the attraction of using 75/90/135 lenses on a rangefinder camera. You are essentially using the equivalent of the SLR microprism to focus and frame. I have always seen rangefinder cameras as best for 28/35/50 lenses. Using one viewfinder to focus and another to frame with lenses wider than 28 also seems a real kludge. How can you possibly work quickly?
While I don't disagree, the 21mm will always be an rf wide to me for non architecture stuff. Stop it down, hyperfocus and go for it. Plus, 21s in rf mount were better than 20s, if they even were available in SLR mounts

75 1.2 on an rf... So how are you supposed to do portraits wide open? Can't really focus and recompose without too much error

Old 11-29-2017   #55
BillBingham2

It's going to be a wonderful lens for folks who need it and can justify the cost.

I'm not one of them on either count these days.

We live in a world where there are options, all in all it's not a bad place. I'm not sure that anyone here is a Leica hater. Frankly I look at the cost and think new (to me) car.

B2 (;->

Old 11-29-2017   #56
Daryl J.

I would absolutely love to have one even though I shoot film.
Also, I did not win any lottery.

Old 11-29-2017   #57
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
......75 1.2 on an rf... So how are you supposed to do portraits wide open? Can't really focus and recompose without too much error
Using a viewfinder magnifier will help. Whenever I use my 75mm Summilux I always attach a 1.4X magnifier to the eyepiece of my MP. Really helps in nailing the focus.

When shooting with my M240, I use live-view to focus. You can focus on a eyelash if you wish. The image is always sharp.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 11-29-2017   #58
icebear

I bought a 75asph used shortly after its release. Obviously someone had buyer's remorse and sold it quickly, my luck. The dof is shallow enough and I don't really have 12 grands burning a hole in any of my pockets.
And yeah, 1055grs is something I don't want to schlepp around the whole day either.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 11-29-2017   #59
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
the real wonder is if it will focus accurately.

the previous 75/1.4 was often a prob to focus without having it calibrated to a particular camera

Old 11-29-2017   #60
Bille

75/1.2 ... DOF should match that of nice 85/1.4. I think the Nikkor AIS is around 500$?

IŽll pass.

PS: Owned a Noctilux 50 three times in the past, ultimately decided it was too heavy and expensive.

Old 11-30-2017   #61
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
You will have to lock your portrait subject in a neck vise to keep them from moving while you focus your camera.
Dan, how did you find out about the neck vise? The press release on this $7,999 accessory isn't due out for a month yet!

Old 11-30-2017   #62
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
It's going to be a wonderful lens for folks who need it and can justify the cost.

I'm not one of them on either count these days.

We live in a world where there are options, all in all it's not a bad place. I'm not sure that anyone here is a Leica hater. Frankly I look at the cost and think new (to me) car.

B2 (;->
+1, well written...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-30-2017   #63
sleepyhead

This new lens, and the 50/0.95 upon which it's based, look like wonderful creations, and I echo what has been stated above: I'm glad that Leica designs and produces these type of lenses to show what is possible.

Having said that, I didn't replace my old 50/1 Noctilux with the more modern f/0.95 version, and I have no desire (from what I've seen so far) to replace my 75/1.4 Summilux with this 75mm Noctilux.

This is because I think the new lenses are too good, and I, like many others, prefer the somewhat softer, imperfect, rendition of the older lenses. I like that the older lenses exhibit different character wide open compared to stopped down 2-3 stops.

Old 11-30-2017   #64
james.liam

This $12k optic will prove popular with the jejune, nouveau riche, Coca Cola & Bordeaux set in Shanghai. Until they grow bored or head for the monstrous & criminal dogmeat festival.

Old 11-30-2017   #65
presspass
filmshooter

Many years ago, when prices were somewhat more reasonable, I bought a new 75 1.4 Summilux. The lens is now very well used; the glass is pristine but the exterior shows signs of use. It even made one trip to DAG when an element came loose. It remains a wonderful lens with film Ms and even focuses accurately with my M8 when I use a 1.25 magnifier. Would I trade this Mandler design for the new Leica one, even if it were an even trade? Not on your life.

Old 11-30-2017   #66
jsrockit

Quote:
Haha , true...

Old 04-12-2019   #67
rcubed
Canadian

Bump from the dead.
https://leicarumors.com/2019/04/12/n...-m-mount.aspx/
7a's direct competition for this lens.

Old 04-13-2019   #68
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherman View Post
I know several people who have the 50mm F/0.95 Noctilux on the SL and nail most (95%) of the images, even wide open.

-Brad
Brad, you clearly travel in more exclusive circles than do I.
I don't know even one person who has so much as heard of the Noctilux.

Old 04-13-2019   #69
Emile de Leon

Noctilux is a rare rare beast..like the unicorn...rarely seen..

Old 06-06-2019   #70
oldoc
oldoc

Quote:
Users of the Summilux 75/1.4 already report online how difficult itis to focus this lens. Now, make the max aperture even larger, and have fun trying to challenge your eye sight!

Truth. The description of increased detail at f/1.25 vs. the 1.4, and the same as f/4 are mildly tempting. But I am satisfied with my 'lux and would not pay 12,000 dollars for something tougher to focus. If I had the vision of an F-22 pilot, maybe...but then I would not have to coin.

Leica M10P and assorted stuff.

My Images:
www.pbase.com/meephoto

Old 06-06-2019   #71
oldoc
oldoc

Quote:
Using the M240 with LiveView will make focusing very easy.

There is a learning curve though...

Leica M10P and assorted stuff.

My Images:
www.pbase.com/meephoto

Old 06-06-2019   #72
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Ely at the Leica Store in SoHo mounted the 75 Noctilux on my SL to try.

Balanced well on the SL and has an impressive build quality. The rendering I found to be really pretty.

Of course I was not interested in buying this lens because it is too specialized and at the price not practical. Also for shallow DOF I stack a Novaflex F-mount to Leica M-mount to Leica T-mount to use my Noct-Nikkor on my SL and I'm able to utilize the Noctilux F1.2 profile on the Noct-Nikkor.

Focusing is not a problem. I find that focus peaking is less accurate than depressing the joy stick for a zoom-in. Touching the shutter release gives me full frame for composition.

In comparing the Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 to the 75 Noctilux the DOF is surely narrower, but the 75 has a stronger snap to the focus. With the zoom-in fine detail to focus on is not a problem. Also because of the longer focal length the fine detail required to focus is amplified. Know that the joystick works to re-position the zoomed in spot, so you are not locked into the center for the zoom-in.

Cal

Old 06-06-2019   #73
valdas

I wasted the whole two minutes of my life scanning this thread and WHAT? No pictures?

Old 06-07-2019   #74
leicapixie

These lenses are NOT for using but posing by photographer owners..
Really use them? Sacre-Bleu that's sacrilege wearing the lens elements away..

Old 06-07-2019   #75
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
These lenses are NOT for using but posing by photographer owners..
Really use them? Sacre-Bleu that's sacrilege wearing the lens elements away..
LP,

Surely if I owned one I would use it.

It is pretty rude to be profiled as a wealthy dentist if you own expensive gear.

I have been called such because I own a Leica Monochrom. I have also been called such because I own and shoot a Leica SL.

I don't want to profile you, but I'm an old guy who worked hard his own life, and I suspect you likely might be younger.

BTW my gear I use heavily. My MM displays silvering where the black anodize is worn away. Honest wear. Before Leica replaced my sensor for free the covering was worn smooth from my fingertips by where the grip was mounted.

I'm a skinny guy, but I have an ugly fat neck of a football player from carrying cameras. My right arm is actually deformed and is an inch longer than my left from carrying cameras.

I don't take your post personally, but realize that some people work hard for their money, and that some people are not posers like you suggest.

Cal