Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Old 10-18-2017   #41
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Dirk, again many thanks for this analysis of the lenses. It is very important to share these in a forum like this.

The distortion of the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5 in Leica mount made me to change it for a Summicron-M 50mm f/2 v4. This Summicron has no distortion at all. Here's an example of the distortion of the Color-Skopar.

Leica M2, Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5, 400-2TMY, Perceptol.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4216/3...790a5473_c.jpg

Here's an example of the Summicron-M 50mm f/2 v4:

Leica M3, Summicron-M 50mm f/2 v4, 400-2TMY, Perceptol.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4354/3...f4c185e0_c.jpg

To scan: I simply lay a stroke of negatives on the glass plate of my flatbed scanner (Epson V600). This scanner has autofocus. I cover the negatives with a piece of Anti Newton glass so the film is perfecly flat, like in an enlarger.

I scan every image individually. I adapt the histogram with the software of the scanner.

Thanks again!

Erik.
Yes Erik, I think more words have been written about "bokeh" than about distortion since the first digital Leica M has been introduced to market ;-)

I have not seen a tread dedicated to this aspect of lens characteristics, maybe I overlooked it and I personally rarely mind as I mentioned earlier (except when with some lenses distortion is very complex or bothersome).
As at some step all my photographs involve the use of Lightroom a touch up of distortion is never an issue though.

I do keep though any distortion and vignetting correction completely disabled in Lightroom except for the very few photographs I want to use them - I like my photographs to be unaltered and rather like to see a bit of lens character (also commonly known as optical imperfection).

I am truly surprised to hear the difference between the S vs LTM mount 50/2.5 Skopar in distortion levels - one would have thought Cosina just mounted an identical optical design in different lens bodies for the sake of cost saving during production.
Maybe a slight change in focal length was made between the versions to correct for possibly different lens register / focus mechanics between the internal fixed focus mount in the Nikon bodies vs the shorter throw Leica mount?
I could imagine that Cosina might have fine adjusted the lenses focussing behavior in the factory by altering focal length (but I could not know this as the 50/2.5 Skopar has not been be apart by my own hand).

The v4 and v5 Summicron lenses are as optically perfect as they come but they never really inspired me as I did not really like their imaging character.
I also found that one really should always use a proper lens hood with the Summicron v4/5 as they are very susceptible to flare and the flare characteristic is not beautiful.
I sold a beautiful silver chrome v5 (because it's imaging just didn't inspire me) but kept a black v4 as of it's lightweight barrel and focus tab and to have a modern Summicron around just in case. I rarely ever use it though.

Your scanning method resembles approximately what I do for final re-scans (if I can, I use one of my Minolta 5400 scanners without glass holder as these generally scan at higher quality, but if I must I use my Minolta Pro scanner with full glass holder).
With re-scans I also do scan individually with properly adjusted exposure to eek out as much detail from the negatives as possible. It is not a process I enjoy very much, hence my flickr photos are mostly done with just the quick pre-scan method.

Quote:
If the Color-Skopar did not show this distortion, I would use it as my standard lens. I also like the way it reduces the grain of the 400-2TMY-film. The Summicron gives more grain, believe it or not.

I do not believe that the S Skopar 50mm f/2.5 is for 100% the same lens as the Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5 LTM. In any case the coating is different. I've noticed however the same amount of distortion.

Erik.
It surprises me that you see a difference in grain between the Color Skopar and the Summicron v4 - I would first and foremost think this to be exclusively a factor of exposure + development and scanning method.

The Color Skopar does however come with it's very own peculiar contrast characteristic, which is the very main reason why I kept it although barely using it. It does have a very pretty way of handling contrast and I especially liked it's look with the Leica M9 CCD sensor.
This may have some influence on how grain can be perceived in the final image but it would not be the first thing that comes to mind ;-)

Quote:
Talking about freedom of distortion: The Leitz Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1 is practically free from it in, contrast to the Leitz Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v2. That lens shows a severe distortion.

The lens is however too big for me to be used as an "everydays" lens.

Leica M5, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1, 400-2TMY, Perceptol.

Erik.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/512/31...07ecedd5_c.jpg
Yes, the many different confusing versions of the Leica 50/1.4 lenses ;-)
It is interesting to trace through the time line of the last 80 years how Leitz/Leica lens design philosophy has changed through the generations. Back in the 1950's those Leitz lenses indeed had high resolution and seem low distortion but very low contrast and truly indestructible mechanics combined with soft coatings.

Later generations threw some of those characteristics over board.
I am sure you would really enjoy the latest ASPH Summicron 50mm - such an optically perfect lens it is. I do not know for certain it's distortion characteristics though - only tested one briefly and found I have no interest in it whatsoever.
It is almost like completely removing the optical lens between your subject and the camera.

As of too much text and too little pictures, I insert two recent shots here.

Nikon SP + 50/1.1 Nikkor-N + TriX @800 in D-76 1:1

by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

Cheers and smiles!

Old 10-19-2017   #42
maryland_fotos

5cm f2 HC, on Leica IIIf

41890004 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Old 10-19-2017   #43
menos

Nice!

Listen to the music baby ;-)

Nikon SP limited + 50/1.1 + TriX @800 in D76 1:1:

Old 10-20-2017   #44
Erik van Straten

Great shot, Dirk. This shot is stopped down to about f/2 I guess.

It is a mistake tho think that the Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1 is of low contrast. The contrast is comparable to that of the v2. I have both. I very much prefer the v1 because of the total freedom of distortion. The coatings on mine are perfect.

Yes, I would like to try the Apo-Summicron 50mm, but that price ...

Erik.

Old 10-20-2017   #45
maryland_fotos

Checking out the smoothness of the 5cm f2 HC background bokeh on the Leica IIIf with Ektar 100.

41890021 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Old 10-20-2017   #46
menos

Quote:
Great shot, Dirk. This shot is stopped down to about f/2 I guess.

It is a mistake tho think that the Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1 is of low contrast. The contrast is comparable to that of the v2. I have both. I very much prefer the v1 because of the total freedom of distortion. The coatings on mine are perfect.

Yes, I would like to try the Apo-Summicron 50mm, but that price ...

Erik.
Thanks Erik - the shot with the young man listening music was slightly stopped down as I was actually quickly walking towards him while taking that frame, so I closed the aperture 1 stop to not spoil the focus (I think this was at f1.4 as I deliberately used the lens wide open all day long where I could with the
pushed film I was using to get a feel how the lens would look wide open) and flipped the shutter speed down a stop and took the picture.

I did two similar shots that day on two different rolls, you can see both in the 5cm f1.1 Nikkor-N photo thread.
The portrait of the young lady was done more up-close and wide open so the difference is exaggerated compared to the gentleman with the headphones.

What impressed me the most about the lens with these shots is how much detail there really is even wide open - I have to scan these at higher res than ~2000ppi to find out though but I would guess eye detail will be well defined.
The background rendering compared to other superfast lenses that were designed a few years later than the 50/1.1 Nikkor is more busy, a Noctilux is smooth as silk by comparison but that makes all of these lenses so interesting, having so different characteristics ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryland_fotos View Post
Checking out the smoothness of the 5cm f2 HC background bokeh on the Leica IIIf with Ektar 100.
41890021 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr
Now that is the famous Sonnar smoothness we all love our Sonnar lenses for don't we ;-)
I wish I had a Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f1.5 Sonnar in Nikon mount - the queen of Sonnar 50's in my opinion

Old 10-21-2017   #47
ChrisLivsey

A most interesting discussion, I own neither the f1.1 nor the Micro-Nikkor, another of the legends, although one of the latter is on the market locally to me and I'm dithering over it in the hope someone buys it quickly and saves me the cash, however the Zeiss Sonnar f1.5 in the re-issue S mount is in the arsenal.

This wide open on S2 Acros 100 with Pyrocat HD, it does indeed melt away but has that sharpness on the place of focus that so many fast lenses fail to nail wide open. Of course the contrast difference in the subject helps.

On sharpness this was bounced from a Flickr film group as it was obviously digital said a mod:

S2 again, best 50mm body IMHO, Neopan 100 in TD-201. Not spotted so the proof is on zoom.

Finally yet another fim/developer combo this being FP4+ in XTOL on an S3 being a full frame test shown full frame:

This scanned on the Epson flatbed V850 which as internet lore would have it is rubbish for 35mm so I did a crop and re-scanned:

Never mind the scanner look at the detail that lens resolves moving to the frame edge where again internet lore would have you believe a milk bottle bottom performs better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 10-21-2017   #48
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
I wish I had a Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f1.5 Sonnar in Nikon mount - the queen of Sonnar 50's in my opinion
I have a prewar nickel Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 with beautiful glass, really pristine, Contax mount, fits also the Nikon. I've never seen a sharper lens, but it is unusable because of the vignetting it has on both Contax and Nikon cameras, even stopped down.

Nikon S2, Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 prewar nickel (about f/8), 400-2TMY, Perceptol.

Erik.

This is a close-up with the Contax I:

Contax I, Sonnar nickel 50mm f/1.5 @ f/1.5, 400-2TMY, Perceptol.

Erik.

Old 10-21-2017   #49
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
I have a prewar nickel Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 with beautiful glass, really pristine, Contax mount, fits also the Nikon. I've never seen a sharper lens, but it is unusable because of the vignetting it has on both Contax and Nikon cameras, even stopped down.
I have a prewar chrome Sonnar 5cm f/1.5 T with beautiful glass and coatings, some wear on the barrel, Contax mount, fits also the Nikon. I think I've seen as sharp lenses, but it has no vignetting on both Contax and Nikon cameras, was it wide open or stopped down.

Old 10-27-2017   #50
stedge

well, I have a wee gift to myself in the mail - a vintage SP (titanium) and 35/1.8! So I am gonna join the group supporting these cool machines. It will be a while before I can post anything, and I am not near the caliber of the others here, but will give it my best!

Cheers!

Old 10-28-2017   #51
maryland_fotos

The SP's fun, you will enjoy it, a bit less hassle mounting viewfinders. Here's one with the SP, 10.5cm f4 T, and CineStill 50.

000467760019 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Old 11-10-2017   #52
menos

Normally I use a SLR and long lenses on a stick to go to the races. Last weeks was so much work and hardly a minute to breathe so I decided to spend last weekends WEC endurance race with a few rolls of film and a Nikon SP and a Nikon S3 with a couple of lenses just to relax and enjoy the Sunday.

I never shot the race with film before so this was just fun for me.
Too bad I couldn't find that 13.5cm lens hood I have stored away before going - turned out I really should have had one that day.

Nikon SP + 5cm f1.1 + Portra 160

Nikon SP + 13.5cm f3.5 + Fuji 100 "for business / industrial" (that is one strange film)

Nikon SP + 13.5cm f3.5 + TriX

Old 11-11-2017   #53
TheHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickko View Post
Who is rallying the flag for Nikon RF these days?
I just got a Nikon S from fleabay, and of course the seller lied through their teeth. The slow speeds stick, the shutter is so dry it sounds like 2 bricks being rubbed together and the curtains need changing.

Rather than return in, I'm currently looking for a repair person to bring it back to life.

Old 11-21-2017   #54
menos

Aston Martin has just announced the new Vantage GTE race car for the next season, so this is the last time I saw the old Vantage in action:

Nikon SP BP 2005 + 13.5cm + Portra 160 @ ISO400:

Untitled by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

Old 11-21-2017   #55
maddoc
... likes film.

Reminds me of the Contax I that I received a couple of month ago from the auction site. Actuated the shutter once and had to return it immediately because after that the shutter kept stuck open.

Did you try Don Goldberg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHub View Post
I just got a Nikon S from fleabay, and of course the seller lied through their teeth. The slow speeds stick, the shutter is so dry it sounds like 2 bricks being rubbed together and the curtains need changing.

Rather than return in, I'm currently looking for a repair person to bring it back to life.

flickr
pBase

Old 11-23-2017   #56
TheHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Reminds me of the Contax I that I received a couple of month ago from the auction site. Actuated the shutter once and had to return it immediately because after that the shutter kept stuck open.

Did you try Don Goldberg?
No, I wasn't aware that DAG did Nikons. The S is out now for a repair estimate.

Old 11-26-2017   #57
menos

Flying that flag with a vintage chrome Nikon SP courtesy of our good man in Japan and the wizards of Kiitos married to a Millennium Nikkor 50/1.4:

The Millennium Nikkor is an amazing piece of glass, always a welcome change after shooting some older lenses for a while. It is the lens design Nikon brought back from the future in the 1950's when Leitz optical engineers were still experimenting with their Summilux designs ;-)

Old 12-01-2017   #58
menos

from the roof

Nikon S3 and probably 3.5cm f1.8 + TX400:

Old 12-05-2017   #59
menos

I know at least of two guys are are flying the Nippon Kogaku flag - rangefinder and otherwise ;-)

camera and coffee by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

Old 12-16-2017   #60
menos

I am still rallying 2/3 of the flag for Nikon RF and 1/3 of the flag for a Nikon F ;-)

2x Nikon SP 2005 + Millennium Nikkor + TriX and
1x Nikon F + Noct-Nikkor + TriX

triptych by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

Old 12-31-2017   #61
maryland_fotos

Nice mix of SP vs. F, very interesting scenes.

And what a collection of black paint gear!

Old 12-31-2017   #62
maryland_fotos

SP and Nikkor 8.5cm f2. This must be wide open.

000405230012 by Maryland Photos, on Flickr

Old 12-31-2017   #63
JeffS7444

I wasn't expecting to join the Nikon RF owner's club in 2017, but a Christmas Day offer by a fellow RFF member fixed that:

Only thing obviously amiss is the beam splitter mirror. I'll look into getting that replaced at some point. Otherwise I guess there's no reason not to use it as-is in the meantime.

Does anyone know how tricky it is to DIY? Though I've been performing some of my own camera repairs, I have zero experience with Nikon RF to date and was thinking I'd defer the work to someone more experienced than I, and to do my learning on rougher-looking examples.

The delicate heart of the beast
Old 12-31-2017   #64
alfredian

The delicate heart of the beast

The split-image prism is probably the most delicate, fragile, sensitive part of the whole apparatus. Once they develop any internal (between the two glass elements) hazing, discoloring, separation - they have to be replaced. With enough cement, re-silvering set-up & experience it might be a "project" but crazy-expensive. Perhaps the issue is exterior-surface haze/discoloration which is mainly a cleaning job that results in clearing & brightening.

Get in touch with Y. Ye and see what he can do. Maybe shopping around for a "parts camera" with a good-to-okay prism is the best route.

Of the dozen+ S2 I own, all have good-to-excellent prisms, with varying degrees of brightness & contrast.

I've seen photo-series of how-to dismantle the top-deck of an S-model, with reference to surface-cleaning the optical first-surfaces, then re-aligning them so you can actually focus again. Search around this Forum and you'll find the articles &/or their links to the how-to series. Good luck - I just picked up another 50/1.4 for mine & the handling rivals Leicas and the film-loading is tons easier & more reliable (no *#&*@*! "tulip" to deal with).-alfredian

Old 12-31-2017   #65
steveyork

I've started shooting a pair of Nikon S2, and I've been impressed with the 50mm Nikkors (both f/2 and f/1.4).

Old 12-31-2017   #66
menos

Quote:
Nice mix of SP vs. F, very interesting scenes.

And what a collection of black paint gear!
Thanks and yes, the gear is wonderful.
I wanted a black Nikon F with plain prism for much, much longer than I had heard about rangefinder cameras and picked up my first Leica years ago but never got an F all these years.
Now with my Nikon RF virus in full effect there was no better time to finally get the F I always wanted - a spur in the moment eBay purchase from Japan turned out to be a real jackpot and I couldn't be happier.

The plain prism F fits PERFECTLY to be used alongside a Nikon SP and S3 - identical controls, identical loading, just perfection. I only fear now that I will get infected by the AI glass virus. I hope to resist.

Quote:
SP and Nikkor 8.5cm f2. This must be wide open.
Wonderful! The 8.5cm is such a real gem, rendering like that. It is far too little used - both here on the forum and by myself. I hope to take mine out more often in 2018. It is simple perfection on a Nikon SP body with it's fantastic finder, not even a Leica M3 or a latest .85 finder M7 can touch that old Nikon SP with this short tele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
I wasn't expecting to join the Nikon RF owner's club in 2017, but a Christmas Day offer by a fellow RFF member fixed that:

Only thing obviously amiss is the beam splitter mirror. I'll look into getting that replaced at some point. Otherwise I guess there's no reason not to use it as-is in the meantime.

Does anyone know how tricky it is to DIY? Though I've been performing some of my own camera repairs, I have zero experience with Nikon RF to date and was thinking I'd defer the work to someone more experienced than I, and to do my learning on rougher-looking examples.
If this is the cosmetically very beautiful, yet due to delivering prism very low priced body recently offered here on RFF, there is not much apart a transplant from a donor body that can be done I am afraid.
I remember looking at the ad (and tempted by the low price as well) but the seller mentioned that the body went to DAG for inspection of the issue and came back unchanged and even lower priced after that (so DAG presumably could not economically bring it back to life).
This body is best treated as a wide angle body - put on a 21mm or 28mm with external finder and use it for that with scale focussing.
It might also work nice as a landscape camera with scale and infinity focussing if the SPs beautiful frame lines are still working.

A repair or transplant really doesn't sound economical except you could get a free donor body with excellent RF optics (rare combination to find and even more rare for little or no money) and do the work yourself or if a certain body is of certain value and high repair costs are still feasible.

The SP finder is supposedly the most complicated construction of it's kind and not an easy beast to tame, even Nikon's engineers had to take their time and great effort when they planned to re-manufacture the re-issue Nikon SP 2005 and commented about the difficulty of the very complicated finder system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyork View Post
I've started shooting a pair of Nikon S2, and I've been impressed with the 50mm Nikkors (both f/2 and f/1.4).
Congrats! The more people find out about the wonderful Nikon RF gear, the better ;-)

Old 12-31-2017   #67
splitimageview

I am not sure that SP actually went to DAG, just that the seller was contemplating it.

Seller can clear this up.

If it didn’t DAG would be my first choice.

Old 12-31-2017   #68
menos

Yes, only the seller (good guy, I have dealt with him before and received beautiful items) can clear this up.

The ad went up twice, the first time describing the dim RF patch and the plan of shipping it to DAG for inspection after a few days of waiting for ad response.
The second ad went up some time later and the defect was more precisely described with likely cause of a dime patch being de-silvering.
I only assumed this was a result of a first inspection of DAG, no definite inside info of course ;-)

I would be very interested too how these old finder optics could be renewed nowadays. Old Leica M3 finders can be extensively repaired by a hand full of specialists including re cementing, re-silvering, even re-grinding completely new prisms.
It would be interesting to know if this could be done with faded Nikon RF bodies as well.

Old 12-31-2017   #69
splitimageview

There was only a week between the original and the revised listing, Dec 18 and Dec 25. Doubtful there was enough time to send to DAG and back.

Old 01-01-2018   #70
JeffS7444

Good ideas! I've sent off an inquiry to the seller to see if any camera techs have already examined the camera - no point in my duplicating his efforts.

At the moment, this is what it looks like when viewed from the rangefinder window:

nikon sp
Old 01-01-2018   #71
enasniearth

nikon sp

the camera was sold as a parts camera here for $250 on rff
it is useable in bright light but as described in the ad the gold reflective surface in the main prism has deteriorated ,
the camera is quite nice looking , my suggestion in the ad was to use it as a dedicated wide angle camera for the 2.8cm f3.5 that the sp has the finder for ,or the biogon 21 in contax mount ,
I examined the optics with a bright light and magnification and was able to see the deterioration in the spot . this was stated in the ad .
I had it listed as $400 the first time and deleted the ad when I determined the cause of the dim rf spot
I had several people who wanted it as a parts camera .
no need to send to dag probably more a job for focal point to repair
as always if the buyer is not happy they can send it back , just have to pay shipping both ways .

I like to leave the ad active until the buyer receives the camera , however lately the moderators have been deleting ads as soon as the item is sold

nikon repair
Old 01-01-2018   #72
enasniearth

nikon repair

its difficult to find someone to work on an sp finder
Pete smith has passed now (he refused to work on the wide angle part of the finder) but did most other work .
ken ruth has retired - he worked on my nikons for many years .ken repaired the finder on an s2 that several other repairpeople stated was only a source of parts (I had purchased it in 1975 from a Korean War vet in my hometown so sentimental value )
dag is perhaps the best left , I asked him several years ago about re cementing the rear prism in my black sp that has a series of black separation spots , he told me that he has fixtures and tools to recement the leica prisms that keep the finder system in alignment . he has nothing set up for the nikon

Quote:
Yes, only the seller (good guy, I have dealt with him before and received beautiful items) can clear this up.

The ad went up twice, the first time describing the dim RF patch and the plan of shipping it to DAG for inspection after a few days of waiting for ad response.
The second ad went up some time later and the defect was more precisely described with likely cause of a dime patch being de-silvering.
I only assumed this was a result of a first inspection of DAG, no definite inside info of course ;-)

I would be very interested too how these old finder optics could be renewed nowadays. Old Leica M3 finders can be extensively repaired by a hand full of specialists including re cementing, re-silvering, even re-grinding completely new prisms.
It would be interesting to know if this could be done with faded Nikon RF bodies as well.

Old 01-01-2018   #73
splitimageview

Focal Point closed as of the end of last year.

Perhaps Alan Starkie could tackle this. He fixes failed prisms from Leica M.

Old 01-01-2018   #74
JeffS7444

OK that's good info enasniearth thanks.

[Lest there be any doubt, nope, I'm not returning it!]

If I don't find someone in the USA able to take on the job, sending it to Japan is an option, and Kiitos looks like an especially interesting possibility:

https://richardhaw.com/2017/11/14/re...r-gods-kiitos/

Old 01-01-2018   #75
splitimageview

You might drop Alan a note at camerworks-uk.com. He's doing some pretty unique and innovative stuff, including a titanium shutter for Leica Ms, and replacement frameline masks. He fixes failed M prisms and definitely has the skill, if it can be done.

Old 01-01-2018   #76
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
I like to leave the ad active until the buyer receives the camera , however lately the moderators have been deleting ads as soon as the item is sold
Al, your ads were marked as "SOLD" so no longer displayed on the top page, but they weren't deleted. You can toggle between "SOLD" and "RELIST IT" in the Product Options list at the top right corner of the ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
sending it to Japan is an option, and Kiitos looks like an especially interesting possibility:
FWIW, while they can do some pretty amazing things, I'm pretty sure Kiitos cannot repair your particular SP finder problem. Also, they don't accept overseas repairs because they don't want to deal with overseas payments and shipping.

Old 01-01-2018   #77
menos

Does Kanto Camera in Japan work on Nikon rangefinders?

http://www.kantocamera.com/english/index_english.html

I have seen and handled several Leica M3 bodies that had failed rangefinder optics which they have rebuilt and the results were astonishingly good (think better then new).
Apparently they go so far as grinding their own optical elements, re-silvering surfaces, etc.
One particluar black repainted M3 finder was impressive it had complete clarity, the brightest view I had ever seen in a rangefinder viewfinder.

I know that they do deal with over seas customers and do communicate by email in English.
Their main business seems to be repair and customization of Leica gear. Prices are expensive (think Leica Wetzlar prices) but quality of work is exceptional.

Old 01-03-2018   #78
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Does Kanto Camera in Japan work on Nikon rangefinders?

http://www.kantocamera.com/english/index_english.html
Yes they do. Definitely worth asking them if they can help. No problem with inquiries in English and international shipping either.

Old 01-03-2018   #79
JeffS7444

Upon closer inspection, I think I'd like to turn my attention to the rangefinder condensor lenses - maybe they need cleaning and re-cementing (from a tiny diagram that I found posted, it appears to be a pair of lenses, presumably cemented together with canada balsam). Main prism with 45-degree reflective spot don't look perfect, but to my eyes that still looks pretty good. Will be curious to see how accessible the lenses are - or aren't.

Old 01-03-2018   #80
jonmanjiro

If it was me, even if it looks ok, the very first thing I would clean is the 45 degree surface of the split prism. I've cleaned that before on an SP finder and the focus patch went from unusable to really good. Just by cleaning that surface alone.

This is a photo of an S2 split prism, but it shows the surface that has to be cleaned.

This is a photo of an SP finder. There is no condenser in the light path from split prism to main finder.

Nikon SP rangefinder assembly by Jon, on Flickr