Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Evil Bay Global Shipping Program
Old 06-02-2017   #1
Beemermark

Evil Bay Global Shipping Program

Evil Bay is always changing their listing format. I now find it impossible to ship from the US to international for a fixed price. They have a Global Shipping program that charges an extremely low price for shipping. However, I've had two foreign buyers who sent me messages saying they wanted to buy my gear but wouldn't because they had been ripped off by Evil bay and the shipping program previously.

Can someone overseas enlighten me?

Old 06-02-2017   #2
Corran

The GSP is supposed to display the total price of shipping to the buyer. I just recently bought something from the UK and didn't even realize it was a GSP purchase until I paid. I was not charged anything beyond what the initial shipping charge was on the listing automatically.

Firstly I think you can still turn off GSP per listing. Then put your own shipping rule in.

Secondly, the low price you are seeing is probably what you are getting from the deal to ship to the GSP regional distribution center.

I've mailed one item via GSP to Canada and the buyer had no issues. Perhaps overseas buyers will respond but that's my experience as a USA buyer with the GSP.

Old 06-02-2017   #3
Frontman

One problem with the GSP is that you cannot declare a different value from the selling price. For some countries where taxes are low this is not an issue, but in many countries the tax is quite high, more than 30% in Greece, 40% in India, and 60% in Brazil. Declaring full value for these places makes your items unaffordable in these places. Those of you who live in English-speaking countries are lucky that such taxes do not apply to the things you buy.

Old 06-02-2017   #4
Stephen G

I love GSP because I don't have to go to post office & deal with customs forms.

Old 06-02-2017   #5
ellisson

I'm U.S. Based and have used the GSP for international sales. I make sure my listings state this clearly for the potential buyer, and include a highlighted recommendation to review GSP shipping rules and the maximum item sale price that will qualify for GSP shipping to their country; this varies for different countries, and is very low for certain locations. The GSP takes care of shipping and customs forms and fees, with the cost covered by the buyer.

As an example, I recently sold a modest size item (box weight about 2 lbs) to a buyer in Japan at a price of 1750 USD. The total GSP cost to the buyer was approximately 165 USD.
Shipping time from my post office to the buyer in Japan was 1 week. I much prefer the GSP to arranging international shipping myself.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 06-02-2017   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Here is no custom duties on cameras and lenses in Canada. But ebay charging not existing duties and ships it by dirt cheap services. GSP is rip off. And those who are using it must be boycotted by buyers. Plenty of smart and honest sellers from USA anyway.

Old 06-02-2017   #7
Beemermark

I ship international by printing the postage label, forms, and paying the fee with PayPal at USPS.com. Takes 5 minutes and you get a discount. So I,be never considered shipping internationally a hassle. Figuring out the EB listing format is a PIA.

Old 06-02-2017   #8
Peter Jennings

As an overseas buyer, I can say - compared to USPS Priority - it is slow and the customs charges are arbitrary and unnecessary (although this has improved recently). I've had items take over 2 weeks to get here from the U.S. using the GSP. Items that I would have paid no customs fees when shipped through USPS are charged customs fees upfront with the GSP. Sometimes my decision whether to bid/buy is dependent on whether the seller is using GSP or not. In my opinion, the service is a minor convenience for sellers, but is a turn-off to international buyers.

Old 06-02-2017   #9
benlees

As a Canadian ebay user, I no longer buy from US auctions with GSP. Pay shipping AND some fee? No thanks. Most good stuff you get from Japan anyway.

I will add there are no custom fees for used products entering Canada (I have NEVER paid any). The GSP is doing a disservice, if I can put it politely.

Isn't GSP voluntary?

Old 06-02-2017   #10
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I had to "turn off" GSP because I had an extremely frustrating experience. I had a buyer in China. My printer ate the shipping label when I printed it off, so I had to print another one. Unfortunately, there is NO WAY to cancel the original label, it is what shows up on ebay's tracking system. So after about two weeks the buyer contacts me, says it's been a month since he paid (not true) and that it looks like the package hasn't left the U.S. yet (true). I gave him the proper tracking number - many times - but he still opened a dispute and a hold was placed on my paypal account. Emails to paypal and ebay, phone calls to ebay, no resolution. I was given convoluted instructions on how to cancel the tracking number and add the new one, only to finally end up at a dead link/page. Thankfully the buyer was honest enough to admit they received the item after I emailed them several times when the second tracking number showed it had been delivered. But I'm never taking a chance with the GSP again.

Old 06-02-2017   #11
vytasn

Aside from incorrect charges and slow service, GSP's use of a center in Kentucky makes for some absurd journeys of packages. I live in Vancouver and once purchased from a Seattle ebayer and the lens I bought travelled from Seattle to Kentucky to Toronto and finally back to Vancouver. So in addition to the cost and extended time of the shipment it had a rather large and unecessary carbon footprint.

Old 06-02-2017   #12
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

GSP is not efficient for very small or low-value items, but I have observed that the shipping cost is competitive with direct airmail, if not cheaper, for three dimensional items weighing over a pound.

Bear in mind also that the U.S. has terrible direct international mailing options,and the cheapest one that can track and insure - Priority - is disproportionately expensive (the insurance even more so - assuming you can even cover the entire amount). GSP passes the risk to Ebay after a 2-day domestic mailing that does not in most instances even need to be insured. This is not a small thing when you consider rampant mail theft in other countries.

Finally, there is a lot to be said for predictability. That goes both for what the buyer pays and what happens when there is a return.

Dante

Old 06-02-2017   #13
skibeerr

My experiences with GSP as an overseas customer.

Used it twice for and found it very expensive but worst of all the items where both times left on my doorstep one was a $600 camera the other a $900 lens.

USPS is much cheaper and more secure, never had any problems with them.

Now I use Shopmate, Australia Posts foothold in Portland Oregon.

Old 06-03-2017   #14
skibeerr

Dante, rampant mail theft? You hurt my feelings.

I have bought and sold way to much, Asia, North and South America, Europe and Oceania.
Never ever was one parcel lost or stolen, a couple took a while and one German customer had postal stamps from all over Europe, his parcel took three months to arrive from Belgium.

I know you are pretty active yourself, did you have so many bad experiences?

Old 06-03-2017   #15
Paul T.

As a European buyer, when I see GSP I move on and generally don't even consider the item.

Old 06-03-2017   #16
Mr_Flibble

I hate GSP and Pitney Bowes with a passion and a vengeance. And I avoid sellers who use it unless the total value is under the import-duty limit.

From a buyer's point of view:
It features "Priority Shipping" prices for 3rd rate shipping service.
If their calculations for import-duty are too low they'll charge you again.
If their calculations for import-duty are too high they'll not refund you the difference.

PB often repack items at their hubs, to reduce weight and size. Meaning items get lost or damaged.
If PB deems items 'un-shippable' they'll refund the seller and buyer, but the item is never returned to the seller....and they'll sell the item through a 3rd party on Ebay.

Do a google search an read all the horror stories.
The whole thing is a scam

Old 06-03-2017   #17
Merumeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
I love GSP because I don't have to go to post office & deal with customs forms.
Same here: if there are import charges I only buy (from the US) if GSP is offered.

Old 06-03-2017   #18
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Simply hate GSP as a buyer in Sweden

1. It is not faster than normal air mail.
2. GSP doesn't have cooperation with local post office so I need to go to some candy shop at a bird-don't-sh1t palace to pick up the package.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 06-03-2017   #19
TerryMcC

I refuse to buy anything that involves the GSP because of bad experiences. Shipping is delayed severely, adding weeks to the delivery time. Extra charges are added because GST is charged for goods imported with a value over Aus$1000. I would be ok with this as it is the law but I am not stupid: I've never paid this GST except with a camera sent via GSP.

Old 06-03-2017   #20
citizen99

My experience, of two GSP purchases from US to UK, over the last couple of years, was OK.
With previous non-GSP US-> UK purchases it seemed to be a lottery whether or not you got hit with hefty import charges, whereas the GSP I think works in the framework of an international special arrangement.
Shipping did take a long time when going through a lot of hubs from e.g. the Mid-West; tracking information is provided.

Old 06-03-2017   #21
Peter Jennings

I think it's clear from the comments that if you really want to appeal to the most international buyers you're perhaps better off opting out of GSP. But if experiencing the least hassle is more important to you, GSP is usually the way to go.

Old 06-03-2017   #22
Archlich

The shipping maybe low, but the hefty "import fee" they charge is not the actual custom duty. Some people got charged a second time by customs when the parcel went in.

The last time I had something shipped by GSP the parcel journeyed for a month before leaving the States. The fee was exorbitant. I felt grateful only the goods (just a filter) was not damaged so I don't have to deal with Pitney Bowes's fabled custome service. Definitely worlds inferior to USPS...

I never bought from any seller who decide to stick to GSP again.

Old 06-03-2017   #23
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

I note the countries that have effective, reasonable cost, international postal shipping. Japan and China stand out. I'll buy from these countries without a second thought. (I'm in the US.) Obviously these countries want to promote commerce.

I also note those countries with crazy high prices for shipping. Canada to US and vice-versa for example. It's fast enough, but expensive. I deal with one Canadian, near the border, who drives across to a shipping agent in the US.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 06-03-2017   #24
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
Evil Bay is always changing their listing format. I now find it impossible to ship from the US to international for a fixed price. They have a Global Shipping program that charges an extremely low price for shipping. However, I've had two foreign buyers who sent me messages saying they wanted to buy my gear but wouldn't because they had been ripped off by Evil bay and the shipping program previously.

What you see is the price for shipping to the third party location located in Kentucky. What the buyer sees is an astronomical price that the third party charges the buyer on their end. The global shipping program uses a middle man. It's easy for sellers to use and doesn't cost anymore to ship. However, for buyers, it is very expensive.

Old 06-03-2017   #25
skibeerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
What you see is the price for shipping to the third party location located in Kentucky. What the buyer sees is an astronomical price that the third party charges the buyer on their end. The global shipping program uses a middle man. It's easy for sellers to use and doesn't cost anymore to ship. However, for buyers, it is very expensive.
If you as an American want to see what we pay for gsp look at an US auction and change the country in the postage tab.

Old 06-04-2017   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibeerr View Post
If you as an American want to see what we pay for gsp look at an US auction and change the country in the postage tab.
Now that I live in Chile, I've seen it...

Old 06-04-2017   #27
Beemermark

I really appreciate all the feedback. Postage for everything in the US as really gone up but IMHO the US Postal Service has gotten very efficient. I print my labels on their website (as a pdf saved to my computer), drop it off at either a private mail business or a post office with no waiting in line. Plus I get a 10% discount. I get tracking (and so does the buyer if I have his email) at each stop were it is handled on the route. 2 to 3 day deliver generally in the US and 7 to 10 days overseas.

I think I'll just put in a fixed price for overseas shipping.

Old 06-05-2017   #28
rybolt

I don't use GSP. I make an accurate estimate as to the weight and dimensions and choose the shipping method. Ebay's system calculates the cost for each individual country and displays it to the buyer. If I don't feel like covering the insurance in my costs I add a handling fee that will cover it. I spell out what this fee is for. 90% of the time I pay it as I have that amount included in my item cost.
I understand the issues with Customs costs in other countries but I won't falsify documents to get a lower price. First, it's illegal. Second, I have to protect myself by insuring it at the true cost. Customs inspectors are not stupid. If they see insurance at $1000 and a declared value at $100 they immediately throw the flag.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 06-07-2017   #29
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

Convenience costs - it's that simple. I've sold a couple of things using GSP, they were inside Europe though, and bought maybe one or two. Yes it does seem expensive as a buyer - though one from the US looked way too cheap but still arrived (eventually) with no extra charges, still no idea why. What it does give the seller is an instant global market, and a buyer can always message and ask if there's a cheaper way. Trying to work out international postage etc. for every item is a bit of a hassle, and for a buyer, say you see $25 shipping from Japan (non-GSP) then it's a bit of a shot in the dark what other charges you're going to see before it actually arrives.

Old 06-07-2017   #30
Sid836

I avoid buying from US when the GSP is applied. It charges anyone outside US with ridiculously high amounts.
For example, a roll of Vericolor is listed for $6 plus $31.65. It is not just for film but for many more. Also, there have been a couple of times that I have paid with GSP and I had received a regular customs invoice in contrast to "International postage and import charges paid to Pitney Bowes" stated by ebay.

Old 06-07-2017   #31
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
I'm not a fan of the Global Shipping Program as a Canadian customer, because 1) as mentioned above camera gear is duty-free, 2) the packages themselves on some Rube Goldberg-like journey where you wonder if it is collecting airline loyalty points.

Old 06-07-2017   #32
Mr_Flibble

Ebay used to show the GSP 'import duty' directly in the auction information (depending on the current bid + shipping).
But now it just says "will be calculated on check out" ...so international buyers are more likely to miss it and wonder why there's a huge second payment on their Ebay purchase going to Pitney Bowes in Kentucky.

Unfortunately Ebay and GSP are making money off this thing so nothing'll get changed.

Old 06-07-2017   #33
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post

Are you saying they force GSP on you? Or is it optional?

As a buyer, I found UPS (not USPS) international shipping the quickest and most reliable.

Old 06-07-2017   #34
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

I've sold many many things via GSP, yes it is slower and yes they charge for the international leg at a fairly high price but as a seller, it's the only way I will offer international sales after many things "going missing" once out of the US because if it makes it to the relay center, I am covered no matter what happens afterwards.

I have had zero issues with GSP which means I'll keep using it.

Old 06-07-2017   #35
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
As an overseas buyer, I can say - compared to USPS Priority - it is slow and the customs charges are arbitrary and unnecessary (although this has improved recently). I've had items take over 2 weeks to get here from the U.S. using the GSP. Items that I would have paid no customs fees when shipped through USPS are charged customs fees upfront with the GSP. Sometimes my decision whether to bid/buy is dependent on whether the seller is using GSP or not. In my opinion, the service is a minor convenience for sellers, but is a turn-off to international buyers.
This.

Plus, it can be slow. I had a parcel from the UK take 9 days while just today I received a non-GSP parcel after 3 days.

Also, for international shipping the duties indeed are a bit arbitrary, while I suspect Evilbay to clear customs in bulk at a discount while charging the full amount to the buyer, and pocket the difference. Don't think for one minute this isn't earning them money.

It's a smart move to stimulate local sales platforms (which in due time can have their own price levels) and already earn some extra cash at the same time.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 06-07-2017   #36
sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
This.

Plus, it can be slow. I had a parcel from the UK take 9 days while just today I received a non-GSP parcel after 3 days.

Also, for international shipping the duties indeed are a bit arbitrary, while I suspect Evilbay to clear customs in bulk at a discount while charging the full amount to the buyer, and pocket the difference. Don't think for one minute this isn't earning them money.

It's a smart move to stimulate local sales platforms (which in due time can have their own price levels) and already earn some extra cash at the same time.
YES, SLOW, slow, sloooow shipping from the UK to Denmark with GSP.

I bought an item on Ebay for my wife, intended as a birthday gift, 2 weeks ago and it still has not arrived. Normally, shipping from the UK to Denmark takes 2-3 working days. I did not notice anything about GSP in the item listing, but next time I will look more closely if I want something to arrive within a defined timeframe.

Old 06-07-2017   #37
Mr_Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
All that money goes to Pitney Bowes, not Ebay.

As a buyer you'd want to filter sellers/items connected to GSP ....Of course Ebay would never add such a filter possiblity.

And you're not as protected as a Seller as you might think; again read all the horror stories on the Ebay community forums.

Old 06-08-2017   #38
Mr_Flibble

This is mainly what gets my goat;
This explains their import tax calculations and why you always pay the full import tax rate on all items (even if they normally have reduced rates like books, or are duty free)

Quote:
From eBay customer support ('Sam') I got this:
  • "It is not possible for sellers or eBay to specify the import classification or duty free status of items when using the Global Shipping Program. The goal of the program is simplicity, so our third party shipper (Pitney Bowes) will determine the shipping costs and import charges for all items. I can tell you that the import charges include certain fees, such as export classification, importation risk premium, and variance fees, which are in addition to any customs duties and taxes imposed by country tax and customs officials. If you feel these charges are excessive or unnecessary, you can always ask the seller to ship the item to you directly, outside of the Global Shipping Program which would give the seller the ability to fill out the customs forms personally. Once the purchase has been completed and the shipping service paid for has been used, we can not refund the costs sent to our 3rd party shipping company."
This is quite incredible. Sam states unapologetically that Pitney Bowes will systematically apply the wrong charges as "It is not possible for sellers or eBay to specify ... duty free status". And then he says "we can not refund the costs .."

Can you tell I hate Ebay GSP yet?

Old 06-08-2017   #39
valdas

I use this (or similar) import duties calculator:

https://www.dutycalculator.com/new-i...x-calculation/

... and I always know how much import VAT and duties I'll have to pay when I buy from US or Japan and use normal shipping method. I will never gamble with GSP as a buyer (especially after reading all the above comments - especially the risk of paying import duties twice).

Old 06-08-2017   #40
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
I've sold many many things via GSP, yes it is slower and yes they charge for the international leg at a fairly high price but as a seller, it's the only way I will offer international sales after many things "going missing" once out of the US because if it makes it to the relay center, I am covered no matter what happens afterwards.

I have had zero issues with GSP which means I'll keep using it.
Agreed completely... from when I was a US seller. But as a buyer in Chile now, I wouldn't buy through this method unless desperate.