Push-on cap for Summicron 35 ASPH?
Old 04-09-2017   #1
yuanchenliu

Push-on cap for Summicron 35 ASPH?

New here. I recently acquired a Summicron 35 ASPH lens and no hood or cap came with it. I like the hood 12526 but I'm trying to keep the setup as compact as possible so I'm looking to just get a cap for the lens instead of a hood. I found "Leica 39mm Front Lens Cap, Chrome Plated Brass, 14031" on KEH and I'm just wondering if it will fit the Summicron 35 ASPH? Thanks!

Old 04-09-2017   #2
Robert Lai

The hood is extremely compact, and has a flat push on cap. That's what I would recommend.

If you insist upon going without a hood, then any 39mm lens cap will do. They usually pinch in to place and release, and hold on to the filter threads of the lens. Amazon has ones like this for $5.

The vintage push on cap should work also, at much greater expense.

Old 04-09-2017   #3
greyelm
Malcolm

If you want the vintage look without the expense there are copies of the Leitz 39mm metal push cap on Ebay that are about a third of the price of a 1950s original. The chrome finish is not so good but for every day use they do the job.

Old 04-10-2017   #4
Gregm61

The 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH comes with a push-on cap that fits the 35mm f2 ASPH (previous model) perfectly. I would guess it is available to purchase as a replacement if you wanted the Leica cap. Don't have it with me here in the office to confirm the catalog number. Can look at it this evening.