Old 01-12-2017   #121
giganova

I wonder if I should change from liquid to powder developers for b&w film. Shipping is also much cheaper.

Old 01-12-2017   #122
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
Well, something clearly happened as most darkroom chemistry is shippable from B&H again...

Rolfe
Not most liquid b&w film developers, they are still store pickup only.

Old 01-12-2017   #123
Bill Clark

Here is the B & H page on film & paper developers:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/F...6/N/4288586387

I notice quite a few liquids do ship and many prepaid on $49.00 orders.

Old 01-12-2017   #124
brennanphotoguy

Not DDX :/ Most of the Ilford liquid stuff isn't shipping.

Old 01-12-2017   #125
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Freestyle somehow manages to ship everything they sell...

Chris

Old 01-17-2017   #126
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Freestyle somehow manages to ship everything they sell...

Chris
Yes and I ordered XTOL from Freestyle back in November. It was sent ground from Los Angeles to Sarasota, FL and arrived in reasonable time. It was not expensive and the shipping method was legal.

I then brought the XTOL back to Europe in checked baggage - as I have done many times with powdered developers. My bag was opened and inspected and sent on through.

After reading through this thread, I just now I visited B&H's webpage to find that while D-76 is available for store pickup only, XTOL can be shipped. This is completely inconsistent and no explanation is offered. Mr. Posner's remarks in this thread have failed to explain B&H's policies and I don't particularly like his combative tone either. By all appearances, B&H seems to have decided that it is no longer worth its while to ship chemicals and then retracted on that policy at least partly. It seems that B&H is taking its customers for granted.

Old 01-18-2017   #127
charjohncarter

I just received 3 bottles of Kodafix from B&H. I live in California.

Old 01-18-2017   #128
unixrevolution

I just got a bottle of Kodafix.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 01-18-2017   #129
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler_101 View Post
After reading through this thread, I just now I visited B&H's webpage to find that while D-76 is available for store pickup only, XTOL can be shipped. This is completely inconsistent and no explanation is offered.
The ingredients are different. D-76 is a metol/hydroquinone formula, Xtol is a phenidone/isoascorbate formula. FWIW, they will no longer ship DD-X either. That's a phenidone/hydroquinone formula, which suggests that hyroquinone may now be restricted. I'm not sure about metol.

Old 01-18-2017   #130
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I wonder if I should change from liquid to powder developers for b&w film. Shipping is also much cheaper.
No problem if you can wait a day to use them after mixing...

Chris

Old 01-19-2017   #131
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
The ingredients are different. D-76 is a metol/hydroquinone formula, Xtol is a phenidone/isoascorbate formula. FWIW, they will no longer ship DD-X either. That's a phenidone/hydroquinone formula, which suggests that hyroquinone may now be restricted. I'm not sure about metol.
Freestyle appears to be prepared to ship both D-76 and DD-X. I just checked.

Old 01-19-2017   #132
Gregm61

That's because Freestyle, unlike B&H, are willing to ship via GROUND. It's air shipping where those chemicals cannot go.

On the digital side of things, B&H sells the 2 ounce bottle of Eclipse fluid for cleaning sensors, but you can't get it shipped, because B&H does not do ground shipping, so.....I ordered it from Adorama, who was perfectly willing to ship via ground.

B&H obviously must have so much of the market they believe they can dictate to everyone the way things can and cannot be shipped.

Old 01-19-2017   #133
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregm61 View Post
That's because Freestyle, unlike B&H, are willing to ship via GROUND. It's air shipping where those chemicals cannot go.

On the digital side of things, B&H sells the 2 ounce bottle of Eclipse fluid for cleaning sensors, but you can't get it shipped, because B&H does not do ground shipping, so.....I ordered it from Adorama, who was perfectly willing to ship via ground.

B&H obviously must have so much of the market they believe they can dictate to everyone the way things can and cannot be shipped.
But they do Ground shipping because it's an option when you checkout lol.

Old 01-19-2017   #134
Gregm61

If it was anyone else I would say ask them, but from posts here and the chat I had with a rep, you won't get a straight answer other than, other people are doing things illegally, which I don't buy for a minute.

Old 01-19-2017   #135
Huss

weird thing is they also no longer ship Li batteries. I tried to buy some Sony 950s and a message popped up saying they do not have a carrier that accepts to ship them. I am in CA, they are in NY.
Same thing for a little Nikon remote release! Cannot ship as it has an Li battery.

But they will ship you a Leica M10 that has an Li battery, or a D750 etc etc

Old 01-19-2017   #136
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
weird thing is they also no longer ship Li batteries. I tried to buy some Sony 950s and a message popped up saying they do not have a carrier that accepts to ship them. I am in CA, they are in NY.
Same thing for a little Nikon remote release! Cannot ship as it has an Li battery.
This is somewhat encouraging, it isn't simply chemistry, but...

Quote:
they will ship you a Leica M10 that has an Li battery, or a D750 etc etc
Well, who wouldn't ship a 6K+ item regardless of the "rules"...

A lot of obfuscation remains unanswered by B&H. I continue to purchase film and paper from them, and wish I could still purchase DD-X from them. Not sure where I'd buy a battery now. Are such dangerous items as batteries allowed to be brought across the Canadian Border back into the US?

Old 01-19-2017   #137
MikeMGB

Quote:

But they will ship you a Leica M10 that has an Li battery, or a D750 etc etc
You can ship lithium batteries all day, as long as they are in the equipment they power. Batteries separate from equipment are different but it is simply a matter of correct labeling, there is no reason for B&H not to ship.

I used to buy almost everything through B&H, a couple of weeks ago when I needed some chemistry I went to my local store and asked if they could order it for me. They replied that they actually keep that chemistry in stock for local colleges but don't advertise it because the public generally don't want it. It cost me a little more than B&H charges but I didn't have to wait for it.

Old 01-19-2017   #138
Mark C

I had respected B&H's continued support of film photography, and hope they will sort these issues out. In the mean time, I just ordered from Freestyle and was happy to pay the $10 shipping to stock up on some items I couldn't easily get otherwise.

Old 01-19-2017   #139
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
You can ship lithium batteries all day, as long as they are in the equipment they power. Batteries separate from equipment are different but it is simply a matter of correct labeling, there is no reason for B&H not to ship.
Not according to B&H. They won't ship the Ml-13 remote release because it comes with a lithium battery in it. Same thing with the Vello knock off.

Old 01-20-2017   #140
henryp
B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Not according to B&H. They won't ship the Ml-13 remote release because it comes with a lithium battery in it. Same thing with the Vello knock off.
The IATA sets basic rules and restrictions. If a carrier or shipping vendor wants to impose more strict regulations the IATA is almost certainly gong to approve them.

UPS Section II Battery Requirements Changing

Old 01-20-2017   #141
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
I checked their site this morning. They do ship lithium ion batteries. They ship them with free standard shipping, just not with free expedited shipping. If they don't know what their own policies are, how can they be expected what UPS's policies are?
Not when you get to the check out stage. Then they say they do not ship.

Mr. Posner, I am curious. How is it that you can ship a camera with LI batteries, but not a remote release? They both contain LI batteries.

"The change will require that all U.S. Air and international Air shipments of lithium ion or metal cells and batteries shipped without equipment by a UPS Air service be prepared and shipped as fully regulated dangerous goods."

Old 01-20-2017   #142
Huss

I don't have a beef w/ B&H, I like them and use them all the time. Just placed an order a few days ago. I just am curious as to how I cannot order a remote release that has a battery in it, but I can order a camera that has a battery in it!

Old 01-21-2017   #143
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Info from UPS:

https://www.ups.com/media/news/en/us...egulations.pdf

Seems shipping battery(ies) on equipment is different than shipping batteries by themselves. Worried about battery by itself shorting out, heat and possible fire. Packaging imporant and labeling of shipping carton and other stuff. Not simple, can't just throw them into a box, tape up and ship.

Airlines are nervous to have passengers carry li ion batteries by themselves. They are OK to transport if (big IF) they are properly protected and stored. But it may not be OK by certain transport. My stuff has the older nickel metal hydride batteries but I keep them protected at all times when not in a device.

In the Navy I trained with how to deal with class D fires, burning metals. Not a pretty picture especially during circumstances that could allow a fire to very quickly get out of control.

What do you think?
I think (indeed I know since I have sent them via USPS) that batteries must be packaged SEPARATELY from the camera and well packed to withstand a blow to the package without being damaged. The battery must not have been damaged previously (obviously). There is no difference between sending the battery alone and sending it with the camera. In both instances it must be able to withstand possible damage to the package. They are worried that the battery will become damaged and start a fire.

In terms of B&H: their policies don't make sense. They are using a lot of misdirection in explaining what they will and will not ship. I have done a good deal of business with them in the past; certainly they were my "go to" place. But their decision not to ship chemicals means that I am now switching to Freestyle. I have absolutely no problem waiting the four or five days it takes to ship ground across the country.

Old 01-25-2017   #144
Huss

Ok, this just got weirder. I just received my LI Ion batteries from Istockonline, shipped ground via UPS.
Inside the shipping package is a safety document with tracking number with the name of their supplier. i.e. who shipped it to them.
B&H shipped it to them!

On the outside of the package next to the UPS info is a warning label describing that it contains Li Ion batteries and the correct handling procedures with a 1-800 number.

Old 01-25-2017   #145
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I just checked Adorama. DD-X, XTOL, T-Max developer, D-76, all available with free shipping over $49.00. (D-76 is on backorder, but no shipping restrictions noted.) HC110 is not listed, I don't know why. They are showing it as a discontinued product.

Old 01-26-2017   #146
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Ok, this just got weirder. I just received my LI Ion batteries from Istockonline, shipped ground via UPS.
Inside the shipping package is a safety document with tracking number with the name of their supplier. i.e. who shipped it to them.
B&H shipped it to them!
the next response from B&H will likely be taken from this script.

Old 01-26-2017   #147
newsgrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I just checked Adorama. DD-X, XTOL, T-Max developer, D-76, all available with free shipping over $49.00. <snip>.
I wonder if this applies to Canadian orders ala B&H and their $99 + free shipping offer ?

Old 01-26-2017   #148
Mark C

I ordered from Freestyle less than a week ago, and received my package yesterday. They were able to ship every item I wanted, including R09 developer (Rodinal). I think it was only 5 days from the opposite side of the US.

I'd just tried Adorama, but the order never made it to me, and I couldn't get everything anyway. I never got much information from them, though did get my money refunded after a couple emails. That seems to have a been a problem with the shipper (package went back to them), except for the lack of communication which they accomplished by themselves. I'll still order from them, and from B&H, but just want to mention Freestyle as a reliable source in the US for most darkroom items.

I still hope B&H sorts the chemistry thing out, but I get the impression it is just not a big deal to them anymore. It has to be a minuscule part of their business now.

Old 05-03-2017   #149
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Interestingly enough, moments ago, I received a box from my UPS driver that contained two liters of DD-X, a Liter of HC-110 and four 1L packs of Perceptol. All now safely stowed in the cabinet, all from B&H. They'll ship it now. I guess the explosions have been reconsidered. Hopefully R09 will soon follow.

Old 05-03-2017   #150
ptpdprinter

Good news. We could use some of that about now.

Old 05-03-2017   #151
Timmyjoe

Just received a package from B&H containing a Canon camera, with it's lithium ion battery, and the outer box had a prominent sticker stating, "Box contains Lithium Ion Battery". First time I've seen that.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-03-2017   #152
gnuyork

Interesting that B&H is now shipping darkroom chemicals again. I had to make my last order with Freestyle not too long ago (less than two months ago). I wonder what changed that scenario. Either way, both are great vendors, but I usually order from B&H whenever I can.

Old 05-04-2017   #153
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Just received a package from B&H containing a Canon camera, with it's lithium ion battery, and the outer box had a prominent sticker stating, "Box contains Lithium Ion Battery". First time I've seen that.

Best,
-Tim
No warnings for the chemistry.

Old 05-04-2017   #154
Chris101
summicronia

I just read the whole thread. This whole fiasco might have been a coordinated political move, designed to stoke discontent with government regulation.

Old 05-08-2017   #155
css9450

I have a bottle of Rodinol coming my way from Freestyle; its coming via rail. Fed Ex tracking tracking shows it passing Essex CA which is along old Rt. 66 (and the BNSF railroad) in the Mojave Desert. Makes me wish it was ME out there getting some cool desert pics before it gets hot! Something is wrong here...