Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

View Poll Results: When Will We See A Production Konost Camera?
Sometime in 2015 2 1.12%
Sometime in 2016 16 8.94%
Sometime in 2017 11 6.15%
Not Likely Ever 150 83.80%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2016   #161
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Isn't that the Leica MD?
I suppose their selling factor would be a lower selling price (although VC did the same thing with film cameras using M mount and seems they didnt do that well).

Old 09-21-2016   #162
krötenblender

Quote:
Isn't that the Leica MD?
Nope. The most important difference is, that the MD exists...

The Konost never will... Even if it started as a serious attempt, it's dead now and also already way behind all possible competitors.

Old 10-25-2016   #163
jsrockit

Confirmed dead or your speculation krötenblender?

Old 10-25-2016   #164
Archlich

No one can confirm anything since it's been another 11 months without a single word. Quite an attitude of doing business for a "young tech startup".

It would be nice for them to at least keep the backers updated annually though.

Old 12-16-2016   #165
Bille

FAQ: Is Konost alive? Answer: Yes.
http://konost.com/?p=7360

Problem: That message is over a year old now.

Old 12-16-2016   #166
DougFord
on the good foot

Well, if you want to release the product, at some point you need to kill the engineers...or so they say.

the walk

Old 12-16-2016   #167
zuiko85

So it joins 'e-film' then?

Old 12-16-2016   #168
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
So it joins 'e-film' then?
Well, "more than doubled the size of our team" could be "my wife joined me, and she's pregnant" or "we now tinker on it two nights a week, and someone checks the mail every other day". Projects on that scale don't die, but they often never finish. If they really had paid staff, and that little publicity, they should be gone by now - they must have gone through their initial investment, and there is not enough happening to keep up a flow of fresh VC

Old 12-17-2016   #169
Bille

I´ts just sad, why not plant a 12MP Full Frame sensor (a la Nikon D700) in a Bessa R2 body? Mr. K? Epson? Are you listening?

Old 12-17-2016   #170
krötenblender

That would be nice, but something completely different than the idea of the Konost.
Also, when you can buy a used M9 in very good shape for less than 2k€, who would buy something else?
(My favourite dream would be the Epson RD-2 with a state of the art 35mm sensor)

Old 12-17-2016   #171
rbelyell

me, i dont even really want 'state of the art'. imo, 90% of us, including me, dont need 36mp images. its a needless clutter and time consumer. i'd be happy with a new rd2 housing a non sony 16-20mp sensor, a little softer shutter sound and getting rid of that darned 'crank'! ):

Old 12-17-2016   #172
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

I think the Konost people should be appreciated for coming up with the concept and making an effort.

If the project comes to nothing, that should be no great surprise simply because its practically impossible to get a new camera manufacturer started without extremely deep pockets.

Perhaps they should go go Kickstarter?

Old 12-17-2016   #173
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
me, i dont even really want 'state of the art'. imo, 90% of us, including me, dont need 36mp images. its a needless clutter and time consumer. i'd be happy with a new rd2 housing a non sony 16-20mp sensor, a little softer shutter sound and getting rid of that darned 'crank'! ):
I'm totally the opposite... Maybe, that is one reason, that this kind of project never will succeed: It's impossible to satisfy potential customers...

Megapixel count might not the ultimate thing, but it makes a camera easier to sell.. Also I'm really used to the potential to work with big files. Processing power and storage are more or less limitless for very small money. Even my main display today has 14MP (5k-iMac) und I really hate to upscale...

The retro-crank however... I would never buy anything, that says "Epson RD-*" on it and has no crank! I absolutely loved that! And the dials of course, and the tilting display, and... even the "clink" sound of the shutter.

Old 12-17-2016   #174
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Perhaps they should go go Kickstarter?
That would be a good move. But from what I saw and what I not saw over the last year, I don't think, that they would have enough to show to get funded.

When I look over the website content, my biggest concern about the future project ist, that I don't have the feeling, the two main ingredients for a successful funding are there: a very good and dedicated technician (or some of them) and the passion of photography. It's just design and hipster-stuff, but no substance.

Old 12-17-2016   #175
zuiko85

Most Kickstarter projects are from enthusiastic amateurs with limited business experience who under estimate cost by a factor of 4X to 10X and then plod along for a time and finally expire. Outfits like Lomography have successfully used that platform basically as a pre-sale method to see how many units they can sell in the first batch. That way they don't over estimate sales and wind up with half a production run sitting in stock and eating up capital that could have been used for more profitable items.

Knowing this hasn't stopped me from backing a couple of projects (not the Ferrania KS, I don't shoot slide film). It's funny, I don't gamble, the idea of buying a lotto ticket would never enter my mind, just not part of my makeup. But I'll still take a chance on some Kickstarter projects.

Old 12-17-2016   #176
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
Uh, they are still working, and getting close to completion.

Old 12-17-2016   #177
Corran

Pretty much all Kickstarter projects go over deadline. "Fail" has a clear meaning and that quite simply is wrong to say when they are finishing test coating rolls. Once they have everything rolling the hard work is done - so I hardly think they will "fail" after a year, as long as they have a product people want at a price-point that works. With the loss of E-6 from Kodak and Fujifilm seemingly wanting to price themselves out of the market, I think it's likely they could be the ONLY E-6 film soon. Support it or don't but don't bad-mouth a project as "failed" when they are literally at 95%.

Old 12-17-2016   #178
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Support it or don't but don't bad-mouth a project as "failed" when they are literally at 95%.
Who is at 95%? Are we still talking about the "Konost"?

Old 12-17-2016   #179
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bille View Post
Who is at 95%? Are we still talking about the "Konost"?
Ferrania. I'm also waiting for my rolls. I think, they will come eventually. I don't see this for the Konost, ever.

Old 12-18-2016   #180
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybrown View Post
Hi,
[tick], no worries about dirt on the sensor [tick], probably much cheaper to acquire [tick].
Not digital... [no tick]
That's the problem, if one wants digital.

Old 12-18-2016   #181
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
In other words, not an R-D2 but a cheap Leica, right? You want the very soul of the Epson removed. Just buy a used M8.

Old 12-21-2016   #182
olakiril

At least they consistently post a message every year:

"Although we launched our website in 2015, we have been operating in stealth mode for the past two years.

Before the end of the year, we will revamp our site and provide some updates on where we are."

http://konost.com/?p=7381

Old 12-21-2016   #183
rfaspen

I've never had any responses to my emails/contacts to the Konost people either. Even during their "active" period.

However, I think its telling how the rate of "activity" reflected on their website, facebook page, etc. has steadily and rapidly decreased over time. It has reached "zero" for some time now, so they should pull the website and facebook page. Perhaps they have forgotten about them.

Looking back on Konost and other "crazy" ventures, I really do think e-film was more likely to happen and was probably closer to being a reality. That's unfortunate too, I think I would be more interested in purchasing an e-film than a Konost -- even at the same price point. If I could use an e-film in any of my film Leicas, it would be a joyous miracle. But, I've learned a bit about "miracles" over my lifetime.....

Thus, I'm left with my M2 and M3 for film, and my M9 for digital rangefinders. Make no mistake, I can't complain about my situation today

Old 12-22-2016   #184
jsrockit

More: http://photorumors.com/2016/12/21/ko...d-of-the-year/

Old 12-22-2016   #185
krötenblender

Vaporware...

Old 12-22-2016   #186
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
"There have been some speculations that Leica is somehow involved/working with Konost for their upcoming M10 digital rangefinder (I seriously doubt that)."

That is some crazy speculation!

Old 12-22-2016   #187
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

If they could make the lens mount motorized (like Techart pro M-mount adapter) and thus make AF for M lenses possible, then I guess it can attract more attention from the users who feel uncomfortable about an (probably expensive) MF only camera.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 12-22-2016   #188
jsrockit

Quote:
"There have been some speculations that Leica is somehow involved/working with Konost for their upcoming M10 digital rangefinder (I seriously doubt that)."

That is some crazy speculation!
Agreed.....

Old 12-22-2016   #189
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
"Although we launched our website in 2015, we have been operating in stealth mode for the past two years.
Before the end of the year, we will revamp our site and provide some updates on where we are.
From the Konost team, happy holidays!"

I should have said, except for this ^^ the Konost updates have faded to zero.

As for the announced revamped site and updates: I'll believe it when I see it. They made a few other announcements of this sort over the last couple years; e.g., about a year ago to say they're going to show us something soon..... but that was then and soon has passed.

The next most recent Konost announcement was Dec 6, 2015: "Well, we are happy to say that Konost is more than just alive. In fact, we’ve doubled the size of our team."
"For the past year, we have been working hard on each aspect of the camera. Behind the scenes, we’re spending our time on the full-frame sensor calibration, the rangefinder mechanism, image processing, the electronics, the body design, and the list goes on. The Konost FF will come."
"Over the next several months, we’ll also be working on setting up a better method of communicating with you, our supporters. We plan to set up a mailing list that would provide updates to those most interested."

Anyone manage to get on that mailing list?

As much as I sincerely hope the Konost project is a reality and success, my gut feeling is we won't actually see a Konost happen. That's not to say there wasn't great and valuable enthusiasm brought out by the project. I'm literally warmed to know that there are others in this world who desire something like the Konost. I know I was excited about many of the proposed attributes of the camera. Thus, something may indeed come of this project; perhaps in the inspiration of other companies to adopt Konost ideas into their products. We also learned a little about the market for a Konost camera. That too is useful info for projects that may arise to fill needs/wants of the RF population.

As for the speculation that Konost is working with Leica on the M10, the only thing I can imagine is sharing an electronic rangefinder technology that might make it into a Leica M10. I think I would welcome that, as long as there is no need to wait for action from Konost.

Old 12-22-2016   #190
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Anyone manage to get on that mailing list?
Nope... No answer to several tries to contact them.

Old 12-22-2016   #191
uhoh7

Based on so many negative comments, I can see why they are in stealth mode. LOL

Old 12-23-2016   #192
krötenblender

The negative responses came long after the "stealth mode" started.

Old 12-24-2016   #193
olakiril

"The camera will be released in late 2017 (check also this post and the new FAQ).
Beta versions of the rangefinder will be available in the first half of 2017.
It will have a custom 20/24MP sensor - designed and manufactured specifically for the Konost cameras.
The camera will be available in silver and black with classy aluminum or rugged carbon fiber cover.
Compatible with all M-mount lenses.
It seems that there will be two different products - a digital rangefinder and a mirrorless model.
There are also several new pictures/renderings"

http://konost.com/faq/

http://photorumors.com/2016/12/24/ko...amera-updates/

Old 12-27-2016   #194
jsrockit

Could this actually be true?

Old 12-27-2016   #195
sepiareverb
genius and moron

They have re-appeared on FB and the website is updated.

From their site:

"We have also been able to work out key strategic alliances, partners, and funding, which will help us bring our products to the market. Additionally, our team has grown significantly in experience, talent, and headcount.

This will push production versions of the Konost rangefinders to Q3-Q4 of 2017. We’re still working on releasing limited edition beta versions of the rangefinder in the first half of 2017. Despite the delay in launching, we’ve actually been able to cross major hurdles in order to move forward in creating amazing cameras.

We thank everyone who’s written to us and supported us along the way. Please subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with our progress as 2017 will be a very big year."

Old 12-27-2016   #196
jsrockit

We will see John. It is a niche (lower priced RF) that, right now, has no players. I mean, do you want to live in a world where only existing companies remain and no one else has the balls to try to make a new company?

Old 12-27-2016   #197
mpaniagua

Rangefinder are, in its definition, a niche market. So yeah, I think if they (Konost) take that into account, I dont see why they wouldnt be succesful. They certainly will not last longer if they try to go mainstream, but in the digital rangenfinder niche, with very limited options, with the proper strategy, I think they will succed.

Just my 2 cents.

Marcelo

Old 12-27-2016   #198
brennanphotoguy

I'd love to see them even release something. It would be good to see a new player in the game since I highly double Epson will ever release a successor to the RD-1.

Old 12-27-2016   #199
krötenblender

Let's see, what next years announcement brings. Still Vaporware... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Does nobody notice, that the only real change is some rearrangement of the website HTML-code?

I'd love to see a real alternative to Leicas strange developments lately. A new approach to the idea of DRF would be greatly welcome, since I completely lost my bonding to Leica, but still miss it painfully, dreaming of a Epson R-D2...

So I would love the Konost coming to live. But I don't see it.

Old 12-27-2016   #200
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
...Manual focus rangefinders were superseded for a reason. Apparently they will also offer a mirrorless camera, but that market is so saturated with established names.
Where are only two mirrorless cameras manufacturers with FF sensor I'm aware of. Sony and Leica. Both are using manual focus lenses manufactured and sold new. In fact, number of manual focus lenses manufacturers has increased over last few years.