Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Mamiya RZ67 Pro--Buy It?
Old 09-03-2016   #1
wjlapier

Mamiya RZ67 Pro--Buy It?

Version I Mamiya RZ67 with 90/3.5 lens, Power Winder, Polaroid Back. WLF and 120 back. This is a local camera I can see before I buy it. Seller said maybe 20 rolls. More to tell but I'm curious to know what to look for if I consider buying this camera. He wants $350. FWIW, stored in his closet in a metal suitcase.

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2016   #2
williaty

I would be inclined not to go for the version 1 body and definitely not for the 90mm f/3.5 however... for $350, well, they might just follow me home.

The Pro II and 110mm f/2.8 are a meaningful advancement over the Pro and 90mm f/3.5. I love the camera and the only reason I'm trying to sell mine is that my bone problems in my neck mean I can't look down into the ground glass for hours on end anymore.

Old 09-05-2016   #3
flavio81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
Version I Mamiya RZ67 with 90/3.5 lens, Power Winder, Polaroid Back. WLF and 120 back. This is a local camera I can see before I buy it. Seller said maybe 20 rolls. More to tell but I'm curious to know what to look for if I consider buying this camera. He wants $350. FWIW, stored in his closet in a metal suitcase.

Thanks.
What stops you from buying it?

If you put aside the big size and weight, this may be the best medium format SLR ever made. Or close to the best.

I own a RB67 and love it more than any of my 35mm cameras save for the Canon New F-1 which is a delight to use.

Old 09-05-2016   #4
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio81 View Post
What stops you from buying it?

If you put aside the big size and weight, this may be the best medium format SLR ever made. Or close to the best.

I own a RB67 and love it more than any of my 35mm cameras save for the Canon New F-1 which is a delight to use.
The best being the RB... Never cared for the RZ.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-05-2016   #5
flavio81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
The best being the RB... Never cared for the RZ.

Cheers,

R.
Hi Roger,

Considering you have probably used all the medium format SLRs that exist, i am very interested in knowing your opinion on the RZ compared to the RB. I am in the hunt for a RZ, as I already own two RBs.

Is it the plastic appearance?

Old 09-05-2016   #6
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

The RZ was much faster in use thanks to its single lever cocking and winding (something only the last versions of the RB received in the shape of a motor back), and even had a motor to take care of it (the RB never was more than half motorized).

It does not even come close to the longevity of the RB, though. New or in good shape they are excellent, but old studio workhorses that have seen 5000+ rolls tend to be failure prone at the very best, while RBs that have seen as much work usually still are reliable.

Old 09-05-2016   #7
wjlapier

I passed on it when the Mamiya 6 showed up yesterday. Bought the 6 and 75 lens.

Actually, the size was too much. I carry around a Fuji GS645s for 120 and after checking out the RZ67 Pro I changed my mine.

Old 09-05-2016   #8
blacksquare

I went with RZ67II (I had RB) for these reasons:
- 110/2,8
- backs without light seals
- one-motion movement from frame to frame
- electronic shutter

Old 09-05-2016   #9
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio81 View Post
Hi Roger,

Considering you have probably used all the medium format SLRs that exist, i am very interested in knowing your opinion on the RZ compared to the RB. I am in the hunt for a RZ, as I already own two RBs.

Is it the plastic appearance?
Not that many! But Sevo sums it up: reliability. I used my RB with the motorized back, so it was no slower. I probably didn't need the degree of reliability the RB offered, but I always preferred overkill. Also, I avoid battery dependency whenever I can, becayse Sod's Law dictates that the only time you'll run out of battery power is when you REALLY need it...

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-05-2016   #10
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
I passed on it when the Mamiya 6 showed up yesterday. Bought the 6 and 75 lens.

Actually, the size was too much. I carry around a Fuji GS645s for 120 and after checking out the RZ67 Pro I changed my mine.
What do you shoot?
Certainly, for street/travel/casual photography, the Mamiya 6 is more practical. But, what does the 6 offer you that you're not getting from the Fuji, aside from The Square? If you were seriously considering the RZ, i would think the square wasn't really the primary selling point.

If you shoot people/portraiture, the RZ is a FAR better choice, as the lenses give you Actual Bokeh! And amazing bokeh at that. The 6 i had, with the 75mm was pretty awful for me when shooting people. Limited bokeh, and bad bokeh when you could get it.

For landscapes, the RZ's image size is much more of a significant increase versus 6x6 from your 645.

Sorry to be late to this. I was debating yesterday, whether to answer.... Re: the RZ versus RZ Pro II... i chose the Pro II, because of the additional fine focus adjustment knob. But, i was going to say that $350 for that kit is a killer price.

Re: the RB being 'more durable' than the RZ — i dunno. RZs were probably the most often-used cameras (along with Pentax 67s) in fashion photography, by people who shot tons of rolls per day, and logged thousands of travel miles with them. Fashion guys burn more medium format film than anyone. They were always known for being robust. I won't compare them with the RB, but i have never heard of a reliability problem with the RZ. They're workhorses.

Old 09-05-2016   #11
wjlapier

I like bokeh like anyone else, but really, it came down to size. If I was to shoot a bigger camera I would probably go back to the Fuji 6x9. I'm happy with the Fuji GS645s and wanted another one but the Mamiya 6 showed up and I decided I'd like own it.

The guy selling the RZ isn't in a hurry to sell. Met him Saturday at a local parade when he spotted me shooting the Fuji. He was more curious about me shooting film than trying to sell his camera he decided to store away. Like a lot of folks he was interested in film but decided it wasn't for him and bought a Nikon D300. Nice guy who I directed to this site if he decides to sell it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
What do you shoot?
Certainly, for street/travel/casual photography, the Mamiya 6 is more practical. But, what does the 6 offer you that you're not getting from the Fuji, aside from The Square? If you were seriously considering the RZ, i would think the square wasn't really the primary selling point.

If you shoot people/portraiture, the RZ is a FAR better choice, as the lenses give you Actual Bokeh! And amazing bokeh at that. The 6 i had, with the 75mm was pretty awful for me when shooting people. Limited bokeh, and bad bokeh when you could get it.

For landscapes, the RZ's image size is much more of a significant increase versus 6x6 from your 645.

Sorry to be late to this. I was debating yesterday, whether to answer.... Re: the RZ versus RZ Pro II... i chose the Pro II, because of the additional fine focus adjustment knob. But, i was going to say that $350 for that kit is a killer price.

Re: the RB being 'more durable' than the RZ i dunno. RZs were probably the most often-used cameras (along with Pentax 67s) in fashion photography, by people who shot tons of rolls per day, and logged thousands of travel miles with them. Fashion guys burn more medium format film than anyone. They were always known for being robust. I won't compare them with the RB, but i have never heard of a reliability problem with the RZ. They're workhorses.

Old 09-07-2016   #12
GarageBoy

Back in the day, rzs were okay on reliability, but throw 20 years of age and there's not guarantee