Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Stumbling down a different path
Old 08-26-2016   #1
madNbad

Stumbling down a different path

A few weeks ago there was a thread about undervalued cameras and one mentioned often were the Nikkormat's. Having been a happy and exclusive Leica M user for the last dozen years or so, the idea of a bargain SLR for knocking around had a certain appeal. Started looking around and found a very nice (looks barely used) Nikkormat FT2 for about a hundred bucks. It came with a perfectly fine 50 2.0, correct hood and a couple of filters. Could or would I stop there? Oh no, if it's made for interchangeable lenses, gotta have some lenses. Non AI glass is relatively cheap and available, forty bucks for a 28 3.5 but then finding the right hood almost doubles the price. Passed up a 43-86 for twelve dollars but did splurge on a 135 2.8, which weighs a ton. The original 50 2.0 was traded in on a 1.4 mostly because in an earlier time when all of my cameras were Nikons, there was always a 50 1.4. Part of it is nostalgia but I have assembled a nice set for less than the price of my 13356 swing out polarizer. Not having used an SLR in over twenty years, it's actually taking some getting use to and hopefully I'm stumbling in a good direction.

Old 08-26-2016   #2
Paulbe

madNbad--good for you! You'll find the meter in the FT2 really excellent--mine is VERY accurate. You might also want to reconsider the 50/2--a truly nice lens. In some ways---outperforms the 1.4. Good luck with all..
Paul

Old 08-26-2016   #3
peterm1

Have fun. I bet you can't stop. The old Nikon bodies and pre AI glass are great to use. And the glass is easily converted to AI if you ever need to do so. A few other thoughts on classics. Personally, though I love the 50mm f1.4, the 50mm f2 is really an absolute classic for a wider range of work due to its edge to edge sharpness. I own and use both as the faster lens is good for portraits as well as low light. The 35mm f2 and the 28mm f2 are great too. Incidentally your 28mm f3.5 has a reputation for extreme sharpness in the centre but softness in the corners. It is by no means a bad kens but use it accordingly. I would also grab a 105mm f2.5 (a great classic). And get the 85mm f1.8 if you can get one at a good price but they are still highly sought after and priced accordingly unless in user condition (and even then more pricey than you would expect). If you are up for a longer lens the 200 mm f4 is well worth owning and cheap to buy. There are many others too but with these lenses to start with you would have a terrific shooting set.