Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Where to find GF670 ?
Old 01-28-2016   #1
loneranger

Where to find GF670 ?

Looking to buy a fuji GF670 soon, any advise from other owners out there, about where to get one, anything to look out for? There seems to be lots on ebay from Japanese sellers, is it worth spending more to get a new one, versus others in excellent shape? Any advise would be apreciated

Old 01-28-2016   #2
mjc

And if I may add to Lonerangers question, for those who have bought from Japanese sellers (and who might live in the US or Europe), do you have recommendations or experiences with particular sellers you are able to share? thanks....

Old 01-28-2016   #3
taemo

on Facebook, on some classified camera groups I saw some selling their GF670, around 1300$

let me know if interested and I'll let you know the group and user

Old 01-28-2016   #4
f16sunshine

I got one from a member here a couple years ago. It's turned into my go to MF camera even displacing the Rolleiflex.
You might try a want to buy advert in the classified.
Cheers!

Old 01-28-2016   #5
Out to Lunch

Interesting, I've had the same urge. Considering the particularities of this camera, I'd go for a pristine or new item. Ebay lists both. Mostly from Japan.

Old 01-28-2016   #6
loneranger

I guess I am leaning towards buying a new one, which means my only choice is ebay and Japan.

Old 01-28-2016   #7
Doug

Might keep in mind the same camera is sold under the Voigtlander name, with a black finish. Check our host's listing here: https://cameraquest.com/voigtl_bessa_iii.htm

Old 01-28-2016   #8
mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Might keep in mind the same camera is sold under the Voigtlander name, with a black finish. Check our host's listing here: https://cameraquest.com/voigtl_bessa_iii.htm
Of course .....

Thanks for the link Doug.....

edit -- a quick check says its out of stock ...

Old 01-28-2016   #9
Chris Bail
Regular Guy

Cameraquest is currently out of stock. I've also been looking at the GF670, for its lower price and relative availability...albeit in Japan.

My Flickr

Old 01-28-2016   #10
Hogarth Ferguson

I bought mine from Japan camera Hunter in 2013 specifically for the black version. I cannot suggest him enough.

Old 01-28-2016   #11
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by conyon View Post
And if I may add to Lonerangers question, for those who have bought from Japanese sellers (and who might live in the US or Europe), do you have recommendations or experiences with particular sellers you are able to share? thanks....
Not specific to a 670, and did give this some thought, but was reluctant to name just one or two. I have bought from at least 15 different Japanese sellers on eBay, and have never had a problem. Would have to say that, as a rule, the quality of the cameras, lenses, whatever, the quality of the packaging and the quality of communications has been better than buying from my fellow countrymen, where there have been the occasional glaring misrepresentations and ridiculous packaging. Obviously, there is no hard and fast rule, just my experience. If using eBay, I always read the feedback comments not just look at the percentage favorable. If I was having to make a blanket generalization about which was the best country to buy cameras from, it would be Japan. At least in my -way too much- buying experience

Old 01-28-2016   #12
mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Not specific to a 670, and did give this some thought, but was reluctant to name just one or two. ....
Larry, completely understand and thanks for the reply. There are so many sellers on ebay, and with good feedback, I sometimes find it difficult to know where to start....

Old 01-29-2016   #13
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Not specific to a 670, and did give this some thought, but was reluctant to name just one or two. I have bought from at least 15 different Japanese sellers on eBay, and have never had a problem. Would have to say that, as a rule, the quality of the cameras, lenses, whatever, the quality of the packaging and the quality of communications has been better than buying from my fellow countrymen, where there have been the occasional glaring misrepresentations and ridiculous packaging. Obviously, there is no hard and fast rule, just my experience. If using eBay, I always read the feedback comments not just look at the percentage favorable. If I was having to make a blanket generalization about which was the best country to buy cameras from, it would be Japan. At least in my -way too much- buying experience
Agree with this completely. The Japanese eBay sellers seem to be extremely honest and great to deal with. Everything I've bought from Japan has been better than described and arrived in the UK in double quick time. One item took just over 36 hours...then spent ten days in UK customs!

Old 01-29-2016   #14
mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
... Everything I've bought from Japan has been better than described and arrived in the UK in double quick time. One item took just over 36 hours...then spent ten days in UK customs!
The last bit about customs does not sound fun. Was the tax duty to be paid on a used item; or were customs interested in only new goods?

Old 01-29-2016   #15
benji77
@R.F.F

I bought mine from JCH about 2 years ago I think.

According to him, it was a set that had the cloth (sorry I forgot the actual name) refurbished, and a dust mark in the lens, with some paint fall here and there. I am never one who cares about cosmetic blemishes unless it shows signs of it affecting the operations of the camera, so i went ahead. It was about US$900-1000 I think.

Till today, it has given me amazing images from hikes and street work.

Awesome camera.

Go for it.

Old 01-29-2016   #16
FujiLove

Quote:
The last bit about customs does not sound fun. Was the tax duty to be paid on a used item; or were customs interested in only new goods?
When you import items over a certain value (£40?) from countries such as Japan and the US into the UK you have to pay VAT @ 20% plus import duty. I think that was about 5%, but it varies by country. That applies to both the item cost AND the postage (which always seems like a massive rip off to me). In addition, you pay Parcelforce processing fees of about £10 per package.

As an example, if you buy a camera on eBay from Japan for £500 including postage, you will end up paying about £635.

Note that if you're a VAT registered business you can claim the VAT portion back, but not the import duty.

Edit: yes, this applies to new and used items, but I think there are exemptions or lower rates for very old items (antiques etc.)

Old 01-29-2016   #17
FujiLove

There are a couple of Japanese GF670s on eBay right now going for about £1150. These will cost roughly £1450 to import to the UK...assuming the seller lists their value on the package. If they don't, then it may pass straight through customs with no extra costs. Clearly this is illegal and not recommended: if anything happens to the camera en route, you will have no insurance cover.

Old 01-29-2016   #18
ashfaque
Learning

Sellers from Japan are generally more trustworthy and they are more conservative in their appraisal of the goods that are selling.

Having said that, I'd encourage you to contact Bellamy (of JCH). Send him an email to see if he can give you better deal. Then you can compare his and ebay sellers' (from Japan). Heck if you have money, get the GF670w as well. GF670w is considerably cheaper in Japan than in the and EU.

Speaking of EU VAT, few years ago, I had the shock of my life when my uncle sent me a Dell Axim from the USA. IIRC, i ended up paying the delivery guy about 75 pounds! Ultimately there was no cost savings. So just be careful of the VAT and import duty if you're buying things from any non-EU sellers. It's not fun.

Bests,

Ashfaque

Old 01-29-2016   #19
jamin-b

Totally agree about the positive feedback for Japanese sellers on eBay, and with often the items being even better than described . If even have had to return a couple of faulty items and there was no nonsense and effusive apologies. Some of the sellers even include a nice green tea bag with their lenses!

Old 01-29-2016   #20
wjlapier

Another happy buyer of equipment from Japan ebay sellers. Never had a problem at all.

Old 01-29-2016   #21
chikne
-

Quote:
Of course .....

Thanks for the link Doug.....

edit -- a quick check says its out of stock ...
That's probably because the camera has been discontinued for some time now.
Apparently after sales services for these cameras are difficult with voigtlander and non existant with fuji... a word of caution

Old 01-29-2016   #22
Huss

Guess I'm one of the few unlucky Japanese ebay buyers. Both my Fuji GW690s (from different sellers) came with fungus in the lens, even though I specifically asked about fungus as it's a humid country.

I lost about $100 in shipping costs as my sending them back was not refunded.

Old 01-29-2016   #23
Robert Lai

Yes, fungus is a problem with items from Japan. I had a mint Nikon FTN prism sent to me. It had a lot of fungus, which was completely removed by Sover Wong in his repair.

Sometimes I wonder if the Japanese seller understands what "fungus" is, without a translation.

Old 01-29-2016   #24
froyd

Conyon, where are you based?

There's an almost new one listed in my local CL for $1000 (Central PA). Seems like a good deal, but only if you live close enough to go check out the item in person.

Old 01-29-2016   #25
aoresteen

I've bought a couple of cameras from Japan and a bunch of lenses. No problems at all.

The better ones will use EMS shipping and they get to the USA fast!

Here's a thread with a lot of info in it:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...era-japan.html

Good luck!
Cambo 23F 6x9, Olympus OM, Pentax M42, 6x6 & 6x7

De Oppresso Liber

Old 01-29-2016   #26
RedLion
Come to the Faire

I used to own one and if I was going to buy one again it would either be new or from a reputable dealer who allowed returns. One thing about this camera is that if anyone ever closes the case without first fully retracting the lens it will bend the frame and mess up the camera. Thus whoever is selling one used must know how to inspect for this!

Old 01-29-2016   #27
mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikne View Post
That's probably because the camera has been discontinued for some time now.
Apparently after sales services for these cameras are difficult with voigtlander and non existant with fuji... a word of caution
many thanks for the heads up..... good information

Old 01-29-2016   #28
mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
Conyon, where are you based?

There's an almost new one listed in my local CL for $1000 (Central PA). Seems like a good deal, but only if you live close enough to go check out the item in person.
Froyd, many thanks for the information -- US East Coast, but likely not close enough. At the moment I'm kind of 'window shopping', though it sometimes leads to real shopping ...

Old 01-31-2016   #29
jojoman2

Just a heads up, I'm selling my excellent Fuji gf670w in the classifieds.

Old 05-01-2016   #30
3RiC

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, just trying my luck to find a Fuji GF 670 here, anyone plan to offload one of theirs?

Old 05-03-2016   #31
jpelg

The New York City craigslist has a black GF670 listed:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pho/5565430627.html

No connection to the seller.

Old 05-03-2016   #32
3RiC

Thanks for the link buddy.

Not shipping to Melbourne Australia though =(

Old 05-03-2016   #33
KEH

Is Fuji still making GF670's? It shows up on their website and doesn't say discontinued. Similarly, B&H has it permanently out of stock but they do not say discontinued.

Thanks,
Kirk

Old 05-03-2016   #34
splitimageview

@3RiC, sent you a PM.