Did you know the 35 Summicron V3 is radioactive?
Old 05-03-2016   #1
Bille

Did you know the 35 Summicron V3 is radioactive?

Quick video I did is here:

http://sendvid.com/a2hfh29n

Old 05-03-2016   #2
mfogiel

And? Most older lenses are radioactive. Unless you swallow them, there are no risks.

Old 05-03-2016   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

Many old FSU watches are radioactive too.
My Takumar 50/1.4 is radioactive.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-03-2016   #4
Ronald M

A company painted watch dials and hands in West Chicago, Ill. Land was contaminated to a horrendous degree.

We will not have that problem owning the lens, but the manufacturing people were in a dangerous environment. Same with lead in optical glass. It had to be removed.
50 1.0 and 75 14 had this high lead content.

But getting back to V3, the glass yellows and I do not know if treatment with UV is permanent.

Now to see the video.

OK I watched. How do we know the radio active is not from some other part of the lens?

Old 05-03-2016   #5
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
A company painted watch dials and hands in West Chicago, Ill. Land was contaminated to a horrendous degree.

We will not have that problem owning the lens, but the manufacturing people were in a dangerous environment. Same with lead in optical glass. It had to be removed.
50 1.0 and 75 14 had this high lead content.

But getting back to V3, the glass yellows and I do not know if treatment with UV is permanent.

Now to see the video.

OK I watched. How do we know the radio active is not from some other part of the lens?
As long as the lens has radioactive material in it the UV treatment Will only be temporary. But, it will take the same amount of time to yellow that it did initially.

The radiation kicks electrons in the glass to a higher energy state creating this yellowing. Treating with UV provides enough energy to kick the electrons out of that higher energy orbital allowing it to fall back I to its original lower energy state. But again, the radiation in time will kick it back I to the higher energy orbital just as it did before. In twenty years or so expose it to UV again and let the cycle repeat itself.

Don't worry it's very low level radiation.