Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

A shout out for Youxin Ye
Old 03-25-2016   #1
thawkins

A shout out for Youxin Ye

I sent my M3 off Mr. Ye a few weeks ago for a general cleaning, lube and adjustment. It is like a brand new camera now. I have owned this particular camera for ten years and had no idea of its service history. It is now as close to being a new M3 as possible. My congratulations to Mr. Ye for a job well done!!

Old 03-25-2016   #2
kshapero
Press the Shutter

a great guy. Always does good work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 03-25-2016   #3
Rangefinder 35

How much did it cost you?( I have M6 that could use one).

Last edited by Rangefinder 35 : 03-25-2016 at 13:21. Reason: More info.

Old 03-25-2016   #4
rfaspen

Congrats on the "new" M3. Mine is in serious need of attention, but I can remember the days when it worked so smooth and nice....

I've used a combination of services from Youxin Ye and DAG (Don Goldberg) over the years. Both have exceeded my expectations. I'm impressed by the pricing and turnaround times that YY has been able to sustain....apparently with no impact on the quality of work. My experience with DAG has been equally pleasant, but with slightly higher prices and slightly longer times -- but not much.

So, I guess I'm adopting a strategy of matching my need to the technician. I hope these choices (of great repair professionals) stick around for a long time!

Old 03-25-2016   #5
rfaspen

Rangefinder 35, Youxin posts his pricing schedule on his website. He's very good at sticking to the advertised price. Unless something horribly wrong is uncovered, the posted rate is the rate. I think he's unique in this regard.

Old 03-25-2016   #6
KEH

Youxin has lovingly restored my three Leicas over the last couple of years. Great work and a good man.

Kirk

Old 03-25-2016   #7
Huss

Yeah, with Youxin the prices are upfront and really decent. No surprises, great work and quick turnaround.
Highly recommended.

Old 03-25-2016   #8
newst

I recently sent a Canon LTM 1.2/50 to Youxin with a second lens for CLA. He discovered that the rear element was badly jammed (an issue I would not notice with my mirrorless camera but would prevent focusing with my Canon 7) and in fact one element cracked as he was trying to remove it.

As a result he purchased a parts lens for the replacement and put together a perfectly functioning lens between the two. Of course all this was not covered by the standard cost of a CLA but his final charge was much less than I would have expected. I will happily send him any more rangefinder work I need (already have). I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Old 03-25-2016   #9
Mark A. Fisher

He did a superb job with my Leica IIIc!

Old 03-25-2016   #10
Gerry M
Gerry

I'm very happy with his service on my M3 and Summaron 35/3.5. The M3 is now a pleasure to use and the Summaron has been transformed from hazy to amazing.

Old 03-25-2016   #11
Bill Clark

Did great work on a Barnack.

Old 03-25-2016   #12
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Youxin did a great job on my 90mm Elmarit-M. Very rapid turnaround as well.

Old 03-25-2016   #13
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

Had Youxin recently repair my black paint M4. This camera is my baby, and although I was worried about shipping it as the post office makes me more nervous than anything else in this process, I would never hesitate to have Youxin service any Leica I own. He does great work, fast, easy communication and prices are reasonable (although going up in the last few years, I'm sure based on his higher demand and expanding expertise). I would recommend him to everyone here on RFF.

Old 03-25-2016   #14
benmacphoto

He has serviced a few of my lenses over the years.
Always top notch work, great prices, and the fastest turn around time.
Highly recommended.

Website

Old 03-25-2016   #15
leica M2 fan

I was pleased about three years ago when I sent him my M2 that I had for 40 years and it was working fine.
He sent it back in a week and it was Superb! So smooth and nice and clean and shiny. Will have him service it again.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 04-11-2016   #16
Tom R

I recently had Youxin work on one of my go-to lenses and an old, but reliable M4-P, and I've nothing but the highest regard for the quality and expediency of his work!

I have another M4-P body that doesn't see as much work, but I'm considering sending it over to his shop because of the quality of his work.

Now, if only Leica (USA) could provide such turnaround and quality results ... who knows how many more photographers would use their highly priced equipment?

TR

Old 04-14-2016   #17
Chubberino
-

I'll have to check him out. Just had a Summilux CLA'd by Steve Choi and he overcharged drastically.

Old 04-14-2016   #18
Michael I.

another happy customer here, three cameras over the years.

Old 04-15-2016   #19
raydm6

Always happy with Youxin's work. I am fortunate I can hand deliver my cameras there.

Old 04-15-2016   #20
squirrel$$$bandit

He just turned around my M6 in a week because I wanted to take it on a trip. He did amazing work!

Old 04-15-2016   #21
splitimageview

Shhh. He's already backed up enough, he has three cameras of mine for a month and hasn't even gotten around to opening the packages.

Old 04-16-2016   #22
squirrel$$$bandit

egad! whoops

Old 04-16-2016   #23
norcimmus

Quick turnaround on my M6 although I wished he didn't overlook the broken plastic strap guard and replaced it while the cover was already off.

Old 04-16-2016   #24
ellisson

And another very satisfied customer. Youxin Ye does great work. Highly recommended!

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 04-16-2016   #25
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcimmus View Post
Quick turnaround on my M6 although I wished he didn't overlook the broken plastic strap guard and replaced it while the cover was already off.
Always specify in writing precisely what you want done. These repair guys are incredibly busy. If this information was not included in your repair request, IMO this one is on you, not on Youxin.

Old 04-16-2016   #26
maxmadco

I have had several Leica bodies CLA'd by him and also several lenses and the work done was great, reasonable and fast.
He is also good about sharing his knowledge if you have questions.

another thumbs up
Old 04-16-2016   #27
wpm

another thumbs up

I just received my recently purchased M4-P back from Youxin. The base plate was/is a bit dented and I think the subsequent fall knocked the rangefinder out of adjustment. Additionally, it flared something terrible. We waited for Leica to send the MP upgrade patch and they are still back ordered. Thanks Wetzlar.
He convinced me to change out the windows for multi-coated ones. When I gave him the okay, the work was done the next day.
The finder is bright, clear, has no flare, and focus is right on. Great turnaround. He had to do some other work to the shutter and intermediate advance gear along with the CLA. Prices I thought were very reasonable.
So easy to work with and a very pleasant experience. He'll get more work from me in the future.

Old 04-17-2016   #28
fixbones
.......sometimes i thinks

Another 2 thumbs up here.
Emailed Youxin with dome questions and a possible CLA.
He replied promptly and graciously with some advice and reassurance.
He could have just accepted my request and took my money but was honest and helpful instead.
A man with integrity!

return trip
Old 04-17-2016   #29
wpm

return trip

Update on my CLA'd M4-P. I was exercising the film advance and noticed that the frame counter wasn't advancing. Youxin said it was fine when he checked it before sending, but here we are, not moving. Resistance from running to the end of the roll I guess would let you know to change rolls, but still.
He also said that the M-2 and M4-P in his mind were the worse M's made. I know others love theirs. All I know is that this "deal" is getting expensive. Live and learn.

Old 05-07-2016   #30
Daryl J.

He did my M4. I've hardly used anything else since in any format.
And my M4-2 is there now.

Happy am I.

Old 05-07-2016   #31
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpm View Post
Update on my CLA'd M4-P...
He also said that the M-2 and M4-P in his mind were the worse M's made. I know others love theirs. All I know is that this "deal" is getting expensive. Live and learn.
Did he mean M4-2? I've not heard an M2 talked about like that before.

Old 05-08-2016   #32
splitimageview

That quote doesn't seem accurate.

If they are indeed the 'worst' made, that's kinda like saying that the v3 is the 'worst ' 35 Summicron

Old 05-08-2016   #33
wpm

My bad. Indeed, his comment was about the M4-2 and M4-P's being the worst ones made. This was based on his experience. Didn't mean to misspeak about the venerated M2. The turnaround on my frame counter fix was great. Great person to deal with.