Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

U.K. Customs Charges?
Old 02-24-2016   #1
jimford

U.K. Customs Charges?

I'm looking to get a Fed 2*. There are many to be bought from the Ukraine and Russia, but I'm a bit put off by the postal charges. I could also take a 'hit' from U.K. customs.

What are U.K. purchasers experience of U.K. customs when buying from Russia or the Ukraine?

* I've recently started to fret over getting a mechanical rangefinder camera. I don't know why - I've got 3 DSLRs with several quality lenses. Maybe it's a hankering to go back to a simpler life, or nostalgia over my Zenit 3M that I bought new as my first camera in the 60s!

Jim

Old 02-24-2016   #2
greyelm
Malcolm

If the declared value is 15 or less then there is no charge otherwise you get charged duty and a fee by the post office. See this link http://www.royalmail.com/personal/he...-for-a-payment

Old 02-24-2016   #3
jimford

Hmm, with Customs duty, Royal Mail and postal charges, it's hardly worth it then!

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Old 02-24-2016   #4
FujiLove

My Mamiya 7 lens arrived from Korea this morning, so I can tell you exactly what I paid:

357.05 for the lens including postage

Customs duty 13.10 (3.66%)
Import VAT 73.45 (20.57%)
Clearance fee 13.50

Total = 100.05 to the government. Equivalent of 28% of the original price of the lens.

As far as I know, the charges are the same whether you buy from the US, Russia, Japan, Korea etc.

Old 02-24-2016   #5
greyelm
Malcolm

You probably know this but imports from EU countries do not get customs charges.

Old 02-24-2016   #6
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyelm View Post
You probably know this but imports from EU countries do not get customs charges.
Correct. I wonder if that will change if and when the UK votes to leave?

Old 02-24-2016   #7
greyelm
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Correct. I wonder if that will change if and when the UK votes to leave?
If we go I would expect us to have to pay duty. Like we already have to for Channel Isles and Canary Islands.

Old 02-24-2016   #8
fanshaw

A friend in Ukraine used to send me large boxes containing around 6 - 12 cameras and other photo equipment on a regular basis. I never had to pay import duty.

Old 03-16-2016   #9
joe bosak

I used to buy cameras from Russia and Ukraine, never got charged. When I bought computer parts from the US, I did. I was under the impression that as long as the value of the goods is below about 100 or so, they don't bother.

Just found this online:

For imports into the UK, there are minimum thresholds below which duty and VAT are waived.
Duty is not charged if either:
the FOB value, i.e. the value of the goods excluding shipping and insurance cost, does not exceed 135
the amount of duty payable does not exceed 9

VAT is not charged if:

the FOB value, i.e. the value of the goods excluding shipping and insurance cost, does not exceed 15

see www.dutycalculator.com. Can't vouch for accuracy but agrees with my experience.