Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Lens and purchasing advice for FM2/n?
Old 08-10-2015   #1
nickthetasmaniac

Lens and purchasing advice for FM2/n?

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a thing for mechanical cameras and I've been seriously thinking about picking up a Nikon FM2 or FM2n.

I've mostly shot with Pentax SLRs before, and so don't have a great deal of experience in the Nikon world. The lens nomenclature especially has me completely stumped!

So, the advice I'm after:
- Is there anything I should be keeping an eye out while looking for a body? Any recurring, costly issues? Anything that needs frequent servicing or may need to be replaced?
- Is there any real user difference between the two models besides flash synch (I never use flash)?
- Any lens suggestions? I will probably just get a 35mm or 50mm for the time being, and don't really have a preference between the two.

I have fairly general photographic interests, focussing on landscape, travel and street. The Nikon will be complementing an M2 and replacing a Pentax MX.

Thanks in advance!

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 08-10-2015   #2
Wulfthari

The FM2 is a nice camera, I have a FM and I prefer it to my MX, but it's not as nice as a LX.

The FM cameras are robust and relatively trouble free, mine is from 1978 and it was never opened until I had to set up the lightmeter after a not so nice bump.

For the lenses there are many options, the most "traditional" choice would be a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AIs but you can still find new and excellent glass like the Planar and Nokton if you want a more modern lens. Another choice is the Soviet Helio 81N that I prefer it to my AI 50mm f2, much smooter bokeh.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 08-10-2015   #3
nickthetasmaniac

Thanks for the thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfthari View Post
The FM2 is a nice camera, I have a FM and I prefer it to my MX, but it's not as nice as a LX.
How so? I've owned an LX in the past so I'm curious about the comparison...

Old 08-10-2015   #4
Wulfthari

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Thanks for the thoughts.

How so? I've owned an LX in the past so I'm curious about the comparison...
The LX is a camera more or less the same size as the FM but as capable as a F3, that should be sufficient to say.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 08-10-2015   #5
Mudman

The earlier ones have titanium shutters, latter aluminum. Supposedly the titanium ones are not as reliable, but I've had them in two cameras and they've worked like a champ. The FM3a series focusing screens work (without having to alter the meter) in the FM2n and give a brighter view.

Old 08-10-2015   #6
Mudman

For lenses, the 35mm f2 ais is phenomenal. Love it. Tack sharp. The 50mm f1.8 AIS (long nose or pancake model) is sharp, the long nose gives better protection to the front element. It out performs the 50mm f1.4 by a bit in contrast and sharpness.

Old 08-10-2015   #7
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

The 35mm f/2 and the 50mm f/1.8 would be my recommendations as well. They are both good choices for quality, weight, and balance on the FM2 or FM2n.

And the FM2n has 1/250 flash top synch speed, improved over the 1/200 of the FM2.

Old 08-10-2015   #8
Timmyjoe

I like the 28mm f2.8 AIS lens on my FM2n. Also use a B screen in it IIRC. Great little camera.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 08-10-2015   #9
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

I have a FM2/T (FM2n with some titanium just for show) with a grid focussing screen made for the FM3a. Very nice camera, and I love grid focussing screens.

There's a Voigtlaender 2/40 in Nikon mount that I find excellent. The older, larger version that I have may be found for not so much money; the newer, very small one is rather expensive.

Also very good IMO are the 1,8/50 AiS, 2/28 AiS and 2,5/105 AiS.

Old 08-10-2015   #10
littleearth

How about something in the middle ?
The Ultron 40mm is a perfect match for the FM2n.

Old 08-10-2015   #11
presspass
filmshooter

The only real issue with these, and it's easy to fix, is deteriorating foam on the back seal and the mirror bumper. Kits are available for DIY or a repair shop can handle this. The foam becomes sticky with age and some pieces can adhere to the mirror if the foam is really bad. Otherwise, a nice, compact camera. I have one of each of the FM2ns - one older shutter design and the other newer. No problem with either.

Old 08-10-2015   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Hi everyone, I have a bit of a thing for mechanical cameras and I've been seriously thinking about picking up a Nikon FM2 or FM2n.

I've mostly shot with Pentax SLRs before, and so don't have a great deal of experience in the Nikon world. The lens nomenclature especially has me completely stumped!

So, the advice I'm after:
- Is there anything I should be keeping an eye out while looking for a body? Any recurring, costly issues? Anything that needs frequent servicing or may need to be replaced?
- Is there any real user difference between the two models besides flash synch (I never use flash)?
- Any lens suggestions? I will probably just get a 35mm or 50mm for the time being, and don't really have a preference between the two.

I have fairly general photographic interests, focussing on landscape, travel and street. The Nikon will be complementing an M2 and replacing a Pentax MX.

Thanks in advance!
Nikon FM series bodies (FM/FM2/FM2n) are all reliable and durable. Most work just fine for many many years, despite being beaten upon. Parts and service are reasonably plentiful.

Don't let Nikon lens nomenclature make you crazy; it's actually quite simple given that you're talking a manual focus Nikon body:
pre-AI are the lenses made up to the middle 1970s. They have a forked coupler on the aperture ring to connect with the metering system in Nikon F, early F2, and Nikkormat FT series bodies. pre-AI lenses can work on the FM body with stop down metering, because the FM body has a hinge on the cam ring that allows you to flip it out of the way. They deleted that bit on the FM2, so you have to have the lens modified to use these lenses.

AI, AI-S, AI-P, any of the lenses that have "AI" in the designation, are all the manual focus lenses made to mate with the automatic indexing coupling ring on the FM/FM2/FM2n. Basically, all the manual focus lenses made after 1976 or so. Nearly all pre-AI lenses can be converted to the AI coupling for about $25 per lens. John White at http://aiconversions.com is doing good conversions.

AF lenses except for the AF-G series all work just fine on the FM. The G series lenses eliminated the aperture setting ring on the lens, it's all done in the body, so those are unusable on the FM series cameras.
Just buy as high a serial number, as recent a clean body as you can. Stick with AI and later series lenses for 100% compatibility, unless you want to have older lenses AI'ed. (I did this with my ancient Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 and Nikkor-H 85/1.8 lenses; the rest of my Nikon lenses are AI, AI-S, AF, and AF-D.)

G

Old 08-10-2015   #13
mfogiel

Nikon has hardly ever made a decent lens shorter than 85mm. I suggest the 85/2 AiS. Use the Leica for 35 and 50 mm.

Old 08-10-2015   #14
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleearth View Post
How about something in the middle ?
The Ultron 40mm is a perfect match for the FM2n.
It has to be seen. I have seen it and I found that I don't like its bokeh, others have also seen and say what you just said, I think this is really kind of Marmite lens, you either love or you don't at all.

GLF

Old 08-10-2015   #15
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Nikon has hardly ever made a decent lens shorter than 85mm. I suggest the 85/2 AiS. Use the Leica for 35 and 50 mm.
That's amusing, and a bit of a personal opinion. For instance, I'd put the Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI up against nearly any*other 28mm lens for resolution, flatness of field, contrast, etc. I've used it with my M-P and compared it to the Elmar-M 24/3.8 ... :-)

G

Old 08-10-2015   #16
Wulfthari

Quote:
This is harsh and uncalled for, even if my favourite Nikkor lens is the 85mm f1.8 I have the 24mm f2.8 AIs and it's a good wide angle, as written I have the 50 mm f1.4 S-C that got AI'd and I consider it a very good lens, not my favourite 50/1.4, but surely more than decent.

While I have to agree that the 1.8 and the 2.0 have an "hard" bokeh, not that pleasant as the 1.4, the first shot is a 1.8 the second a 2.0:

Old 08-10-2015   #17
KEH

The sealing foam is definitely an issue in my experience with the FM2N. In the end I went with a full refurb at Abilene Camera Repair and have been very happy with the result.

On lenses, I am a sucker for 40mm focal length and really enjoy using the CV 40/2.

Kirk

Old 08-10-2015   #18
Finglas

In addition to the light seal foam either crumbling away or becoming a sticky mess - I'd watch out too for the film rewind crank can come away after long use. But both of these are NOT costly repairs and you could be very lucky that neither becomes a problem.

I have had 2 FE's, 2 FM2n, and an FM3a. So I know this camera well.
It is my main "go-to" camera and very quick to deploy (horror of horror but it is faster in my hands and eyes to deploy than my rangefinder Lecias !)

Since you are looking without preference at 35mm or 50mm lens - I agree with those recent contributions not to discount too easily lens less than 85mm.
Indeed one of the best value and lightest and very comfortable lens is any of the Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 or the last Nikkor 50mm f1.8 pancake lens.

Old 08-10-2015   #19
CK Dexter Haven

Get the cheap 'Nikon' 50/1.8 Series E. I don't think you'll find a Nikkor 50 that's better. Spend the 'real money' on another focal length. The 28/2.8 AiS is supposed to be fantastic. I have a 35/2-O and a Mir 24. Selling the Mir, as it duplicates the O, and i don't use either very often, but the performance is even.

Old 08-10-2015   #20
nickthetasmaniac

Thanks everyone for the responses, there's some really great info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Don't let Nikon lens nomenclature make you crazy; it's actually quite simple given that you're talking a manual focus Nikon body:
Thanks for the outline Godfrey.

Old 08-10-2015   #21
x-ray

The little 35 f2.8 is remarkably good and cheap. The 35 f1.4 is excellent too but not cheap. Wide open the 2.8 is excellent but the f1.4 is a touch soft wide open but at f2-2.8 it's really good. The f2 is ok but not as good as the 2.8. I don't think any of these changed formulas over time. I've owned all three and currently have the 2.8 and 1.4. I use the 2.8 on film and the 1.4 on my Df. They're both quite good.

In the 50 range the 50 1.2 and 55 1.2 are remarkable from f2-2.8 and down. Wide open its dreamy but sharp. I have one of the new ones and use it on my Df with amazing results. I also have a non AI 1.4 and while it's good its not nearly as good in the wider apertures as the 1.2. I've not owned a 1.8 so I can't comment but the f2 is very fine in performance.

Also consider the micro in f3.5 and 2.8. I feel they both make great general purpose 50's with the 3.5 having a slight edge.

I'd disagree that nikon never made a good lens under 85mm. They've actually made some superb wide glass. The 24AIs f2.8, 28 f1.4 f2 and 2.8 AIs are all excellent. The 20 f2.8 AIs isn't bad down a stop. In longer glass the 85 f2 was always considered the dog of the 85's. I owned an AIs and it was fine but certainly not up to the 1.8 and especially the f1.4. I have the 1.4D and have used the AIs 1.4 and these are hard to beat in any brand. I'd say after extensive use that my 85 1.4 D is equal or better than my 75 Summilux and my Summilux is one of my all time favorite M lenses. Both versions of the 105 f2.5 are legends. I own both and have the Sonnar version in LTM and they are superb. The next lens that deserves praise is the 180 f2.8 ED. It like the 105 f2.5 are among the finest. They're very deserving of their fantastic reputation.

I've been a nikon user since 1970 and owned many of these lenses and currently own a very nice kit of these lenses. They are excellent performers even by today's standards.

One thing to mention, some lenses like the 24 f2.8 exist in more than one version. The non AI is different than the AIand the AI is different than the AIS which is different than the D. The AIs is better than the previous 2 versions and the D may even be better than the AIs. The 28 f2.8 is the same way with the AIs and D being the best.

Best is relative. I have a non AI 24 f2.8 and previously owned the AIs and D. They are all excellent but the AIs and D are the best by a slight margin but even thoug these are better the old non AI is very good.

Old 08-10-2015   #22
bayernfan

Most AI(S) lenses produce a very 'modern' looking image. You won't see any swirlyness or 'classic' lens characteristics. If that's what your after, then:

The famous Nikkor MF primes:
28/2 AIS (excellent close-up and at infinity, insignificant distortion) ~$350
28/2.8 AIS (excellent close-up, good at infinity, insignificant distortion) ~$250
45/2.8 AIS (pancake, very small, Tessar design.. classic looking images) ~$350
50/2 AI (supposedly the sharpest 50 made, very affordable) ~$100
58/1.2 AIS (a very unique rendering wide-open, very expensive) ~$$$$$
105/2.5 AIS (sharp, little to no distortion, attractive bokeh) ~$250

You can't go wrong with any of the above. I'd pay a little more and buy from a reputable used dealer (KEH, B&H, Adorama) or a trusted forum member. The aperture mechanism tends to get sticky over time and the focus grease breaks down. A lot of sellers on ebay are offering lenses in need of work.

Old 08-10-2015   #23
jbielikowski
call me Jan

Find one with the rubber eyepiece still on place, gonna be much nicer to use. As for the lenses, find something compact and cheap, there are no really bad Nikon primes as long as they are not broken, lately I use 35/2.5 and its taking good pictures (and its been heavily used, missing one front ring etc).

Old 08-10-2015   #24
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
You can't go wrong with any of the above. I'd pay a little more and buy from a reputable used dealer (KEH, B&H, Adorama) or a trusted forum member. The aperture mechanism tends to get sticky over time and the focus grease breaks down. A lot of sellers on ebay are offering lenses in need of work.
Thanks for the tips, it's been a long time since I bought anything from EvilBay...

I would go with KEH but the weak Aussie Dollar is making anything from the US a pretty costly outlay. I might have to wait for one to pop up locally...

Old 08-10-2015   #25
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

Trying out new cameras is a lot of fun. I have certainly done so!

Nikon makes some very nice lenses and the FM series are all fine cameras. But so is the Pentax MX and Pentax made a lot of very nice lenses also. I guess you'd get a faster top shutter speed with the Nikon, but the list of things that one of these cameras can do that the other can't is a short list.

whatever you do, have fun!

Old 08-10-2015   #26
bayernfan

Happy to help. They're workhorse cameras, very reliable and built to high standards. When I need to shoot fast, it's Nikon. When I want to be methodical (pressure-free), it's Leica.

I highly recommend a Type-B screen (made for the FM3A). Very bright, images just "pop" into focus.

Old 08-10-2015   #27
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Huh? Not so fast. These are all excellent lenses I have relied on for years:

15mm f?3.5 AIs

18mm f/3.5 AIs

24mm f/2.8 AIs

28mm PC

35mm PC

55mm Micro-Nikkor, f/3.5, and f/2.8

The 35mm F/2 AIs is excellent except for its flare properties. I've been using the 35mm F/2 Zeiss ZF.2 instead. Good lens, but heavy!

The 28mm f/2 AIs with floating elements is excellent in the close range. Nothing special at distance, though still good.

I used the 20mm f/4 for years, and the 20mm f/3.5 before that. Good lenses, though I now use the 20mm CV instead, for its even illumination.

Old 08-10-2015   #28
Huss

The FM2 series cameras are great. The foam sealing kit can be bought off ebay for about $12 and it is really easy to replace. I use a dental pick to remove the old stuff - hint it is attached to tape, so you need to start at one end and pull the tape up, then the whole thing peels right off. Clean the light channel with a q tip dabbed in alcohol, then apply the new one.
Every old SLR, no matter the brand, has had to have these seals replaced.
If the VF eyepiece is missing the rubber grommet surround, those can easily be found on ebay for under $10 used, or about $25 new. Hint - the Nikon piece also fits Voigtlander Bessa RF cameras, and even the Fuji GW670/690 series!

Good luck and have fun.

Old 08-10-2015   #29
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Hint - the Nikon piece also fits Voigtlander Bessa RF cameras, and even the Fuji GW670/690 series!
Yep.

I swap a -3 Diopter between my FE2 and GW690II.

Old 08-17-2015   #30
Vics

My Nikkor-H 2/50 compares well with the Summicron DR I had.
Summicron DR
Pau by Vic Stewart, on Flickr
Nikkor-H
Musee d&#x27;Orsay by Vic Stewart, on Flickr

My Flickr