Tips for FP4
Old 07-14-2015   #1
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Tips for FP4

I just got a few rolls of FP4 to test out and I have some questions for you guys, seeing as the last time I shot anything under ISO400 was uhm a long time ago !

- FP4 is rated ISO125, is there any gain in exposing it at 100 ? The aim is to simplify exposure calculations.
- If yes, how much should I compensate developing time for, if at all ? I mean a third of a stop seems a little insignificant

- I'm thinking about developing it in Rodinal, for the high acutance and to bring out that very fine grain just a little bit. Is there any gain to developing in Rodinal or am I best to go with an Ilford developer ? Any developer recommendations that would give me the result I'm looking for ?

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 07-14-2015   #2
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauffray View Post
I mean a third of a stop seems a little insignificant
Yes, too insignificant to worry about
Quote:
- I'm thinking about developing it in Rodinal, for the high acutance and to bring out that very fine grain just a little bit. Is there any gain to developing in Rodinal or am I best to go with an Ilford developer ? Any developer recommendations that would give me the result I'm looking for ?
In my experience Rodinal and Ilford films are not a great combo, they get too grainy for me. I can recommend Xtol as an excellent developer for FP4+. If you want to 'bring out the grain' then personally I'd try HP5+ instead or FP4+.

Old 07-14-2015   #3
Bille

Quote:
I'm thinking about developing it in Rodinal, for the high acutance and to bring out that very fine grain just a little bit. Is there any gain to developing in Rodinal or am I best to go with an Ilford developer ?
This was either Delta100 or FP4 in Rodinal.

Old 07-14-2015   #4
Dan Daniel

For me the thing that makes FP4 worth using is a certain creaminess in the midtones. Using Rodinal works against this, makes things a bit sparkly. I'm fine using HC-110 with FP4.

Old 07-14-2015   #5
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

FP4 has great tonality in Rodinal but it does look gritty. My favorite developer for FP4 is PMK. D-76 1+1 gives beautiful results, too.

Old 07-14-2015   #6
jbielikowski
call me Jan

I've used FP4 some time ago and fellow rff'er suggested to develop it in D-76 1+3, very pleasant indeed, most of pictures in this set was done this way.

Old 07-14-2015   #7
rfaspen

I dislike FP4 in Rodinal. Grain is awful to me.
I like FP4 in HC-110. Midtones come out for me.

That's my preference. Also, I expose FP4 at ISO 100. I think most people do.

Old 07-14-2015   #8
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

What's the Ilford equivalent to HC110 ?

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 07-14-2015   #9
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
For me the thing that makes FP4 worth using is a certain creaminess in the midtones. Using Rodinal works against this, makes things a bit sparkly. I'm fine using HC-110 with FP4.

HC110 is my choice with FP4 also. I find with my agitation that I need to cut development times to keep contrast down. You'll need to experiment to see what works for you. In HC110 tonality, acutance and grain are excellent.

I think Ilfords equivalent of HC110 is HC. It's quite a bit more expensive. A few years ago HC110 was in short supply so I gave Freestyle's L110 which is the same as HC110. It's less viscous and easier to measure plus much more economical.

Old 07-14-2015   #10
02Pilot
Malcontent

Don't know how you feel about homebrew developers, but FP4+ works pretty well in Caffenol C-H(RS). This was shot with an Olympus XA4, BTW.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 07-14-2015   #11
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Don't know how you feel about homebrew developers, but FP4+ works pretty well in Caffenol C-H(RS). This was shot with an Olympus XA4, BTW.

Beautiful print. I'm going to have to try it.

Old 07-14-2015   #12
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Also when getting your times for FP4+ keep in mind that there is a euro version of HC110 and a US version of hc110. Im not sure if ilfords times are based off of the euro or us versions of hc110 but I find for Dil B 9 min is WAY too much. I cut development to 5:30 and get great results.

Old 07-14-2015   #13
daveywaugh
Blah

I've been really happy with FP4+ rated at 100 and developed in XTOL 1:1 for 9:45.

Old 07-15-2015   #14
varchs

I have just purchased a 30m bulk roll of FP4+.
I have not used FP4 for almost 5 years, and I will develop these films with Ilfosol 3 as I do with HP5. I am quite ok with Ilfosol 3. The only issue is that it is sensitive to air, and just after opening the bottle, I am splitting it to smaller pharmacy brown glass bottles to preserve it.
--
VArchS | Architecture & Design Services
MyFlickr

Old 07-22-2015   #15
rfaspen

O2Pilot, that's a beautiful image you got there.

I too have used Caffenol on FP4 and it was a good combination. I tend to use HC110 instead because I'm often time constrained and don't want to mix up a batch of Caffenol. Otherwise, I would use it more often.

x-ray, Are you satisfied with the LC110? I think my current bottle of HC110 will last me a while yet, but once its gone I need to find a satisfactory replacement. I don't want to order the big bottle of HC110 (a few reasons why) so the LC110 is a candidate.

Just looked, only 2 rolls of FP4 in my freezer I guess I've been using a lot of Tmax lately instead (topic for another thread, another day).

Old 07-22-2015   #16
Bill Clark

One of my fav films. Have lots of it in 100' rolls.

Back in the olden days, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought Ilford FP4 was similiar to Kodak's Plux-X.

Old 07-22-2015   #17
Ljós

I would agree with rather not using Rodinal for HP5+, but with FP4+ it is a great and classic combination. It's been a staple of many photographers here in Germany.

I can recommend 1:50 with dev. times around 15 minutes at 20 degress Celsius. Remember, grainlessness is not everything ;-)

Do keep us posted how your pictures turned out -
Greetings, Ljós

Old 07-22-2015   #18
Vics

I shot FP4+ at 80iso and developed it at the standard time in D76. Having said that, I didn't do a lot of careful metering in those days...
Student Unrest 2006 by Vic Stewart, on Flickr

My Flickr

Old 07-22-2015   #19
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
O2Pilot, that's a beautiful image you got there.

I too have used Caffenol on FP4 and it was a good combination. I tend to use HC110 instead because I'm often time constrained and don't want to mix up a batch of Caffenol. Otherwise, I would use it more often.

x-ray, Are you satisfied with the LC110? I think my current bottle of HC110 will last me a while yet, but once its gone I need to find a satisfactory replacement. I don't want to order the big bottle of HC110 (a few reasons why) so the LC110 is a candidate.

Just looked, only 2 rolls of FP4 in my freezer I guess I've been using a lot of Tmax lately instead (topic for another thread, another day).
I started using HC110 in 1975 and have processed thousands of rolls in it so I know it inside out. I'm unable to see any difference in the final results with L110. It's lower viscosity which is easier to measure.

Old 07-22-2015   #20
julio1fer

I have shot many hundreds of meters of FP4+ and developed in different developers.

Never saw any difference from shooting at 100 or 125.

It works very well with Rodinal 1:50 IMHO. My favorite dev for FP4+ is ID-11 (or D-76) 1:1 because it gives finer grain and excellent tones.

With Beutler you get awesome tones but more grain than with ID-11.

FP4+ is quite a tolerant film, it will give good results with almost anything if well exposed.

Old 07-22-2015   #21
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I have some FP4 in HC-110 just recently. Come out very well balanced with classic feel in it. It is going to be my next bulk to purchase.

Old 07-22-2015   #22
kiemchacsu

another vote for fp4+ in hc-110 (1+47)
I'm quite satisfied with the results.

Boat connects two banks by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr

Old man reading newspaper by Trung Nguyen, on Flickr

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 07-23-2015   #23
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

6x4.5 format, developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 12 min. Agitation every 4 minutes.

Old 07-23-2015   #24
Rayt

It is good to have a system and stick to it. For Ilford films I use DDX. For Kodak, D76. For Foma and acros, Rodinal.

Old 07-23-2015   #25
rfaspen

Good to hear that Freestyle's LC110 gives same results as HC110. That gives me the confidence to order some when the time comes.

I'm quite impressed by the nice images I've seen in this thread, all on FP4. I wish I could pin down my scanning technique so that my scans look as nice as my negs do. My old scanner died and the replacement behaves differently. I'm glad to see that some of you out there have figured it out (as evidenced by the images shared in this thread). I suppose in time I'll get it sorted.

Old 07-23-2015   #26
Peter_S

I have used FP4+ as my go-to-film for years. Tried around - the classic combination with ID-11 works best, either 1:1 or 1:3. and Ilford's rec. times. With 1:3 not much can go wrong.
Beater Leica X1

www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 07-24-2015   #27
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

I dont agree that FP4 being grainy with Rodinal. I got pretty sharp and crisp images with that combo. I dont remember exactly but quite frankly I normally use stand development...

Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Voightlander Color Skopar PII 35mm f2.5
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Contax RX + Zeiss 50mm f1.4
Olympus OM-4 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f2
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/aykutkaraca
http://flickriver.com/photos/2851236...r-interesting/
http://sites.google.com/site/aykutphoto/Home
http://aykutkaraca.webs.com

Old 07-25-2015   #28
Per

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
Also when getting your times for FP4+ keep in mind that there is a euro version of HC110 and a US version of hc110. Im not sure if ilfords times are based off of the euro or us versions of hc110 but I find for Dil B 9 min is WAY too much. I cut development to 5:30 and get great results.
I don't think so, there's just one HC-110 version available since at least five years now. And that is the previous US version.

Old 03-27-2016   #29
fer_fdi

Quote:

wonderful!
love Caffenol! hope to try soon and develop a couple of rolls that way

Old 03-27-2016   #30
crsantin

I tend to shoot FP4 at 200 and develop with Ilfosol 3. Development time is recommended at 4:15 if shooting at 125. So either I go to 5:00 at 200 or I use warmer water and stick to 4:15. This tends to create more contrast and grain, but I really dont mind. I really like FP4. In winter months I switch to HP5 and push it to 800 or 1600. In summer months I like Pan F and Rollei Retro 80s, but FP4 is probably my go to black and white film for now.

Old 03-27-2016   #31
jbhthescots

FP4+ has become my go-to favourite film. I have lots of experience with it - I would also recommend either Xtol or HC-110 for best results. You can check them all out on my blog by clicking the link underneath my name. Good luck,

Old 03-27-2016   #32
02Pilot
Malcontent

Thanks for all the positive comments on my photo.

I'm quite happy that the intensity of sunlight has returned to a level sufficient for me to start using FP4+ as my regular film. I've got a roll in one of my Barnacks right now, in fact. It really is a wonderful emulsion.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 04-03-2016   #33
ColColt

To me FP-4 and Rodinal was a marriage in heaven. I've used it at ASA 64 on contrasty days and Rodinal at 1:100 or ASA 100 with Rodinal at 1:75 and had great results. I've been using that combination since the '80's and don't plan on changing now.

Some examples...

FP-4(120)

120FP4ab by David Fincher, on Flickr

with 35mm

Nikon F2 and 50mm lens at f4 by David Fincher, on Flickr
Downtown014a by David Fincher, on Flickr

Old 04-03-2016   #34
02Pilot
Malcontent

Wow, that first shot looks awfully familiar. I was just there a couple weeks ago shooting my own roll of FP4+ (developed in Caffenol).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 04-03-2016   #35
giganova

I use DD-X with results.

Old 04-03-2016   #36
ColColt

Quote:
Wow, that first shot looks awfully familiar. I was just there a couple weeks ago shooting my own roll of FP4+ (developed in Caffenol).

I see it hasn't changed after all these years. I should have cropped out the telephone poles. Her car was in the way of any in camera cropping. You can see the shadow of her front bumper.

Old 04-04-2016   #37
kossi008
Photon Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
I too have used Caffenol on FP4 and it was a good combination.
I second that. At the moment thinking of switching back from Rollei RPX 100 (Kentmere 100) to FP4...

Old Chevy by Georg Erley, auf Flickr

Old 04-04-2016   #38
mfogiel

I am not a big fan of this film, however the best results I got from it was shooting at EI 64 and developing in Acurol N 1+90 for about 20 mins with semi stand agitation.

MF20145807 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

Old 04-04-2016   #39
music_healing

FP4 is my favorite (beside Neopan 400)

mostly use it with Perceptol or Microphen

This one on Perceptol stock

All About Springs by William Jusuf, on Flickr

These are on Microphen

Urban life Detail by William Jusuf, on Flickr

Walk The Bride by William Jusuf, on Flickr

Just order 3 bulks more

Sincerely