Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Phone camera usability.
Old 04-28-2015   #1
greyelm
Malcolm

Phone camera usability.

Over the years I've had a number of smart phones and they have all been a pain to use in landscape mode. I think it is due to me having large hands. We often seen phones used in portrait mode which I think is quick and easy for most users. Recently it struck me that if the camera had a square sensor then the rectangular format could be achieved by firmware so that the user could switch between square, portrait or landscape mode at will but still keep the phone upright.

I doubt that this will happen but it would be nice if it did.

Old 04-28-2015   #2
Archlich

I guess most phones today allow you to shoot square photos in crop mode?

Old 04-28-2015   #3
Richard G

If you might have an iPhone the shutter can be tripped with one of the volume buttons. That makes using it in landscape, and other modes, much easier.

Old 04-28-2015   #4
nongfuspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
If you might have an iPhone the shutter can be tripped with one of the volume buttons. That makes using it in landscape, and other modes, much easier.
+1

And you an also use the volume button on your headphone cord as a cable release. The ultimate pervert's camera :/

Old 04-28-2015   #5
willie_901

It takes me more effort to use a Phone as a camera than it does to use a compact camera.

Of course I'm, referring to well-thought out and executed photography. I am not implying phones can't be used for well-thought out and executed photography.

All I am saying is it harder for me to operate a phone as a camera than to use a compact camera.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-28-2015   #6
greyelm
Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
It takes me more effort to use a Phone as a camera than it does to use a compact camera.

Of course I'm, referring to well-thought out and executed photography. I am not implying phones can't be used for well-thought out and executed photography.

All I am saying is it harder for me to operate a phone as a camera than to use a compact camera.
I agree, that's probably why I hardly ever take phone photos, by the time I've got my big fingers away from the phone's lens the opportunity has passed.

Old 04-28-2015   #7
btgc

Biggest flaw is to use phone camera as one would use dedicated camera. They are different.

Old 04-28-2015   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I have iPhone 5 and my hands ain't so small. Landscape, Portrait and Square are no problems.
No problems for snapshots, I often using it as magnifier. Taking picture to be able to read the text on labels.
But IQ is for FB only. My old cheap 5 MPs Panasonic PS with Leica zoom is better.