Replacement for Ilford Galerie Silk
Old 04-20-2014   #1
nightfly

Replacement for Ilford Galerie Silk

What are people using as a replacement for Ilford Galerie Silk?

Old 04-20-2014   #2
MarinB

It may easily become available again:

http://www.photocounter.com.au/2014/...lford-galerie/

Apparently, only the coating was (may again be) done in Switzerland, on paper substrate bought from another manufacturer. If that...

Old 05-08-2014   #3
rodt16s

How about Permajet
http://www.biggerpictureroadshow.co....from-permajet/

Old 05-08-2014   #4
rpsawin
RF Enthusiast

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/en/digita...ow/45/638.html

I just picked some of this up this afternoon. I print primarily b&w with an Epson 3880. I hope to do some printing tomorrow.

Bob
CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Old 07-12-2014   #5
ajk

I'm switched on BONJET Atelier Fibre. I print with Epson 3800 and ICC profiles remain of Ilford.

Andrew

Old 03-24-2015   #6
lawrence

Does anyone know what the production status of Ilford papers is? I'm a fan of Gold Fibre Silk but would like to know whether it's been discontinued and also what the financial position of the company is. Please note that I'm referring to the paper manufacturer and not to Harman Technology, which produces Ilford film.

Old 03-24-2015   #7
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bojic View Post
They went bankrupt last year if I recall...
That is what I recall too, thanks, however the paper appears to be back on the shelves. It would be great to get a definitive answer to my query.

Old 03-24-2015   #8
Robin P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
That is what I recall too, thanks, however the paper appears to be back on the shelves. It would be great to get a definitive answer to my query.
The trick is to avoid the Harman website and go direct to http://www.ilford.com/about-us/history-heritage
where you'll see that they are still alive & well but owned by a Japanese/Australian comglomerate!
Living in france I find it slightly easier and cheaper to buy the Ilford papers rebadged as "Lumiere".
http://www.lumiere-imaging.fr/produi...re-pro-lumiere

Old 03-24-2015   #9
Sam Kanga

This all sounds like good news. I do love the Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk. In my research last year, I also came across this http://developingtank.blogspot.ca/20...lacements.html it seems like Canson Baryta Photographique might be close as well.

I would be curious to hear about the Lumiere paper mentioned by Robin P and from anyone with experience using Canson Baryta Photographique.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2015   #10
Robin P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanga View Post

I would be curious to hear about the Lumiere paper mentioned by Robin P and from anyone with experience using Canson Baryta Photographique.

Thanks
I'm using Lumiere Prestige Perle which they say is "a replacement for Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl" (the specs seem to be identical).
I chose this over the more obvious Galerie Prestige Mono Gold Silk as my six ink Canon uses dye rather than pigment ink. Have to say the results are marvellous! - a very big improvement over any other paper I've used.

Old 03-24-2015   #11
Sam Kanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin P View Post
I'm using Lumiere Prestige Perle which they say is "a replacement for Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl" (the specs seem to be identical).
I chose this over the more obvious Galerie Prestige Mono Gold Silk as my six ink Canon uses dye rather than pigment ink. Have to say the results are marvellous! - a very big improvement over any other paper I've used.
This is good to know. A suitable option is welcome.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2015   #12
lawrence

Quote:
The trick is to avoid the Harman website
I did avoid that website as they are a completely separate enterprise.

Quote:
and go direct to http://www.ilford.com/about-us/history-heritage where you'll see that they are still alive & well but owned by a Japanese/Australian comglomerate!
Thanks Robin, I didn't look there and this is certainly good news.

Old 03-24-2015   #13
John Bragg

Fotospeed is good.

http://www.fotospeed.com/Photo-Smoot...90/products/8/

Old 03-24-2015   #14
lynnb

I use Canson Baryta Photographique. It's my favourite paper on the 3880. There's a review of it over on L-L. I mainly print bw, but it's equally good for colour. I seem to remember the local pro shop said it's almost identical to GFS, the only difference it has an additional coating. In their opinion it's superior.

I'm very happy with the results I get with it.
Flickr

Old 03-24-2015   #15
quadtones

Have been using the Canson Baryta Photographique, as well. Using the same profiles with an Epson 3880 and OEM inks, I'm quite happy. 99% of my work is monochrome, and I actually prefer this to the Ilford Gold Mono Silk, which I find has a little less gloss differential [the Canson doesn't have much], but is a title too glossy.

http://www.normsnyderphoto.com

Old 03-25-2015   #16
Jim-st

I used some Canson Baryta on my 3800 when Ilford GFS was unavailable. I recall Andrew Rodney (author of Color Management for Photographers book) saying on a LuLa forum that he'd profiled both and all the numbers came out identical. Seems highly likely they are the same paper. Next time I restock it will be the Ilford, on cost grounds!

Leica CL & M9 : GX80 & GF1 : LX-100 : Trip 35 : Vito CLR : iPod Touch : Epson 3800 : Lenses....

Old 03-25-2015   #17
KEH

As far as I know Ilford paper was bought out and is back in business. B&H has stocked GFS for quite a while. This is good news.

My absolute favorite for BW is Canson Platine.

Kirk

Old 03-25-2015   #18
mfogiel

"I'm switched on BONJET Atelier Fibre. I print with Epson 3800 and ICC profiles remain of Ilford."
- It is the same paper, a no brainer substitute.

Old 03-27-2015   #19
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
"I'm switched on BONJET Atelier Fibre. I print with Epson 3800 and ICC profiles remain of Ilford."
- It is the same paper, a no brainer substitute.
That's interesting because I just did a comparison of half a dozen different papers and three appear to be identical:
  • Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (GFS)
  • Canson Baryta Photographique
  • Fotospeed Platinum Baryta
Moreover the price per sheet here in the UK for each brand is within a few pence so I think one can assume that they are indeed the same paper.

The other papers I tested were:
  • Harman Gloss Baryta
  • Museo Silver Rag
  • Epson Traditional Soft Gloss ('Exhibition' in the US)
In comparison to GFS the Harman is cooler and glossier. It's actually a very nice paper and I prefer it to the ultra glossy look of Epson Premium Glossy.

The Museo is warmer than GFS and very slightly glossier (I would not call it a glossy paper, however). It feels like a high quality product but I'm not sure that I like the somewhat yellowish tinge of the base.

The Epson is a paper that I've been using quite a lot of regularly. It has a cooler base than all of the other papers and the finish is very similar to the Museo. In other words the Museo and the Epson are at different ends of the tonal scale but with perhaps a bit more individuality than the ubiquitous GFS.

Old 03-27-2015   #20
mfogiel

I have found an article somewhere, that identified the actual manufacturer of this paper now, and it is being resold to several brands. I have printed on the old Gold Fiber Silk and the Bonjet Atelier Fibre, and you can't distinguish the two - also in hand they feel the same. The bonus is, Bonjet makes A3 size, which was not available before.

Old 03-27-2015   #21
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I had no clue about this. I've seen it on shelves regularly here in Frons. I even picked up a few new boxes a few weeks ago -- and it was on sale, 2x1!

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio