Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

Old 10-04-2014   #81
jenhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy74 View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for your support.
I hope you can furthermore share this with your friends an in other photo websites/forums / facebook etc because it would be truly a pity if they would miss it. Pledge 1$ less but let 1 more people of this. Italy is plagued with the worst crisis since WWII and every plant restarting means families able to get by and this is so valid for an historical company as Ferrania is. Thank you again
I've made my pledge. Watch the video of the team members. How could you not?

Mark

Old 10-04-2014   #82
ruby.monkey

Ah well, if they succeed then this'll be the most expensive eight roll of film I've ever bought.

Old 10-05-2014   #83
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Ah well, if they succeed then this'll be the most expensive eight roll of film I've ever bought.
When Ferrania film is the only thing to put in your camera in five years' time, that'll be the cheapest investment you ever made!

Old 10-05-2014   #84
markwatts
Mark Watts

I originally pledged double for some film. I have now increased that fivefold without film after watching the promotional video (thank you Mark for the pointer). Of course I want film to continue to be produced. Even if this fundraising fails I hope, probably naively, that corporations are taking note.

But perhaps more than that I adore passionate people. I work in an industry of largely money orientated individuals, on the whole going through the motions and caring little. In a very troubled World, most of who's problems I am helpless to influence, I will be proud to be a very small part of these people's future lives.

Old 10-05-2014   #85
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders

why paypal not supported?
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Voightlander Color Skopar PII 35mm f2.5
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Contax RX + Zeiss 50mm f1.4
Olympus OM-4 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f2
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7

websites:
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/aykutkaraca
http://flickriver.com/photos/2851236...r-interesting/
http://sites.google.com/site/aykutphoto/Home
http://aykutkaraca.webs.com

Old 10-05-2014   #86
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaFoReVer View Post
why paypal not supported?
Kickstarter goes through Amazon. Amazon doesn't support Paypal.

Old 10-05-2014   #87
Brian Puccio

In for 4x rolls of 35mm and 4x rolls of 120. If Provia disappears, this may be all that's left.

Old 10-05-2014   #88
Eric T

I pledged support for four rolls of 120. The more sources of color film we have going forward, the better. Good luck to Ferrania!

Old 10-05-2014   #89
jenhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwatts View Post
But perhaps more than that I adore passionate people. I work in an industry of largely money orientated individuals, on the whole going through the motions and caring little. In a very troubled World, most of who's problems I am helpless to influence, I will be proud to be a very small part of these people's future lives.
Mark, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mark

Old 10-05-2014   #90
Samoura´

I ordered a roll of 135 and a roll of 120. Maybe I'll get more in before it's all said and done. But it looks like the kickstarter is on track to succeed well ahead of time.

Old 10-05-2014   #91
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Not quite to the $200,000 mark yet:
Backers

$197,250
pledged of $250,000 goal

days to go

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 10-05-2014   #92
telenous

Tantalizingly close but it's a steep-looking last $50,000. I'll buy a couple of rolls more, if the need arises.

flickr
instagram

Old 10-06-2014   #93
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by telenous View Post
Tantalizingly close but it's a steep-looking last $50,000. I'll buy a couple of rolls more, if the need arises.
The usual pattern is a rush at the beginning followed by a long lull and then a further rush at the end.

I've been pretty impressed by how the project is still ticking up thousands every couple hours, even now the initial impetus is over, but the key is gonna be continually spreading the word for the next three weeks, so worst-case scenario there's just a few thousands to reel-in over the last few days.

Ideally they should release some tee-shirts and/or printed tote bags so people can get on board for $20, and some larger incentives (tour of the factory etc) to bring in a few thousands - which I'm sure some people could stretch to, if they're sufficiently interested.

Pretty sure they're gonna make it, but disappointed not to see more people just jumping-in and helping to keep their own film cameras usable for the foreseeable future - far too many film users grumbling about some particular legacy Ferrania film instead. The probability is they won't even be producing the same film formulas as they did in the past anyway.

PS: who's gonna jump in now and push it over $200,000 ??

Old 10-06-2014   #94
thegman

I've pledged for 35mm and 120, I think it's a very valuable project. Kodak and Fujifilm make superb products, but frankly I've got more faith in the smaller companies to make a difference in the long term.

Old 10-06-2014   #95
jalLee2001
jallee55

I am going to step up and buy some more as well. I would predict Fuji will be out of the film business within one year (I do love their products). But they are doing the classic "milk the market" on their way out the door.

Film manufacturing will not die, but it will be dominated by smaller boutique companies (You could even call Kodak small now). So heck yeah I will buy some more film.

Good luck to them.

flickr.com/people/jallee55

Old 10-06-2014   #96
Harryo1962

Great video. I'm in for two of the 35's. Plus, I do love those stickers!

Old 10-06-2014   #97
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Time to give this another bump:
Backers

$207,323
pledged of $250,000 goal

days to go

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 10-07-2014   #98
mich8261

so glad I came across this post. I don't know Ferrania film, but I happily supported (2x 35mm and 2x 120). I liked the little promotional film. As someone said, I like passionate people. It's very possible that in a few years time we will only have Ilford (employee owned), The Impossible Project and Ferrania to put in our cameras. Without passionate people our cameras may be turned into paper weights.

Old 10-07-2014   #99
mani

A member over on LUF posted this link to a podcast that includes a lengthy and very interesting interview with one of the American guys behind the project. Fascinating to hear their plans for a whole range of films - black&white, color, reversal, negative, 35mm, 120 you name it...

It's gonna be awesome!

http://filmphotographypodcast.podbea...ctober-1-2014/

Old 10-07-2014   #100
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich8261 View Post
so glad I came across this post. I don't know Ferrania film, but I happily supported (2x 35mm and 2x 120). I liked the little promotional film. As someone said, I like passionate people. It's very possible that in a few years time we will only have Ilford (employee owned), The Impossible Project and Ferrania to put in our cameras. Without passionate people our cameras may be turned into paper weights.
I think we'll have options as long as there's a market for it. The market may need to "right size" itself and it surely will.

I wonder if Fuji would invest more into film production if Kodak films would get out of the market.

Old 10-07-2014   #101
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrumsick View Post
I think we'll have options as long as there's a market for it. The market may need to "right size" itself and it surely will.

I wonder if Fuji would invest more into film production if Kodak films would get out of the market.
I doubt it. Fuji makes tons of money on things other than film now. Even if Kodak disappeared completely they'd more than likely still axe film. They're making money elsewhere.

Old 10-07-2014   #102
Spanik

Quote:

Fuji is already a long time going out of the market. Each year they have less emulsions.

Old 10-07-2014   #103
Silva Lining
CanoHasseLeica

What a great project! I'm in for 2 rolls of 120.... I followed the Impossible 'Polaroid' project from its start too, and bought some 'experimental' films in the early days, that were not that great....now though they are producing some very usable and innovative products.

My Gallery
Currently Shooting - Leica M6 + Zeiss Planar 50/2 Ultron 28/2- PanF
In the bag - Voigtlander Perkeo IIIe - TRi-X
Fuji X-E3 and Summilux 50/1.4
My FLICKr
[url="http://www.pbase.com/phillbrown/"]

Old 10-08-2014   #104
mani

Project is almost 90% funded with three weeks to go! But I'm worried we're gonna get complacent now, and expect others to do the job. Keep spreading the word and try to get bloggers and online magazines to mention the project!
Let's keep the momentum going, and get 8000 backers before the deadline!

Old 10-08-2014   #105
mjc

Thanks for the prompt -- made my pledge....

Old 10-08-2014   #106
Spanik

I chipped a bit more in, it is indeed a risk to become complacent and let victory slip away.

Old 10-08-2014   #107
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

As others have noted, it's a lot closer but not there yet. If you haven't signed on, perhaps think about doing so. A "new" producer of film at what seems like the right scale of production for current and future demand (but who can tell?) seems worth supporting to me.
Backers

$226,619
pledged of $250,000 goal

days to go

...Mike

Old 10-08-2014   #108
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
Fuji is already a long time going out of the market. Each year they have less emulsions.
Fuji having less emulsions is not the same as having no emulsions. If they wanted to get out completely, they would.

Old 10-08-2014   #109
zuiko85

Something occurred to me (yeah yeah I know, I'm slow.)
When Eastman Kodak finally poops out these guys could be the savior and last supplier of 35mm and 16mm movie film.

Old 10-09-2014   #110
Scrambler

Just ticked over $230,000!

Keep passing the word - just a bit further to go!

Based on the pledges so far, I wonder if they will reduce the number of 8mm and 16mm films and instead cut more 35mm and 120?

Old 10-09-2014   #111
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Fuji having less emulsions is not the same as having no emulsions. If they wanted to get out completely, they would.
So true. Fuji is the last high-quality E6 film manufacturer, with no ifs or buts about their films still in production and really hope those guys are encouraged.

Ferrania I see as more of a something of a filling gap between lo-fi LOMO, medium Rollei and high-end Fuji films with according pricing, plus more variety to the market, including the much welcomed 8S & 16mm cine. But in 35mm and 120 format terms I really hope it doesn't steal any support from Fuji E6 market since Scotch slide film the Ferrania resurrects never was as excellent performer as Fuji slides have always been known for. Scotch slide was more like a "supermarket" slide film in comparison: cheap, not bad but nowhere near Fuji in quality. Ferrania says they've modernized the old Scotch emulsion, so if it fits between the likes of Fuji and Rollei then both price and quality terms then hopefully they've found their market share and benefits us all analog shooters.

Old 10-09-2014   #112
Bingley

Just chipped in for four rolls.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 10-09-2014   #113
rjstep3

I wonder whether, by encouraging Ferrania, we might cut the demand for Kodak and Fuji, thereby hastening their decision to cut film altogether.

Just wondering.

rjstep3

Old 10-09-2014   #114
Spicy

possible but i'd say unlikely. ferrarania is a much smaller company, likely able to respond better to changing market conditions unlike the behemoth that was (and to a lesser degree still is) kodak. their problem was the massive-capacity manufacturing had no way to scale down -- ferrania aims to address this.

besides, Tri-X is forever, and Fuji's slide film is undisputed champion. it would be a pretty exceptional case for ferrania to suddenly take a significant chunk of their market-share. ilford seems to be chugging along fine, so it isn't like it's impossible, the size just needs to be kept in check.

Old 10-09-2014   #115
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstep3 View Post
I wonder whether, by encouraging Ferrania, we might cut the demand for Kodak and Fuji, thereby hastening their decision to cut film altogether.

Just wondering.
I think if we try really hard we can find some nuggets of negativity in this project. I mean every time a new digital camera comes out everyone starts worrying that more choice and higher customer visibility means the market is going to crash - lots of wringing of hands and wailing along the lines of: "please please don't give us more stuff to choose from! Just keep it to one or two cameras. And don't develop anything new or exciting!"

An alternative scenario is: this is going to raise a real positive flag about film use and film support. It has the capacity to raise interest and engagement on a broader scale, and show people there really is a future in film. It can reinvigorate the whole film market, and it's a marker against those who preach that film cameras - even Leicas - will be dust-gathering worthless artifacts sitting on thrift-store shelves in just ten years' time (this view was expounded by an 'expert' on RFF, and broadly defended by other members).

I'm going to continue buying Kodak Portra for most of my photography, but I'd gladly see a whole range of other films which I could use alongside it, and which my kids can try in 20 year's time.

PS: sorry if I sound too strident in this post - but I really think we should stay positive about this project. All the traditional hand-wringing and angst about film's 'decline' ends up as a self-fulfilling prophesy, and I don't see the point in looking for the smallest crumbs of negativity in this endeavor. Naturally just imo.

Old 10-09-2014   #116
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstep3 View Post

Just wondering.

rjstep3
Kodak has already killed off all of their slide films. They stand to lose nothing at all to Ferrania because they've already cut themselves 100% out of the market.

Fuji decided they didn't need to sell consumer priced slide film, so they have already cut themselves out of the market too.

Ferrania won't be making black and white so they're no threat in that segment. If they decide to restart production of C-41 films I doubt they could do much damage to Kodak or Fuji either. That market has shrunk considerably with Fuji taking up whatever little was left of the store-brand market that Ferrania used to cater to. Perhaps they would be a factory for Lomography to turn to, but perhaps not. Kodak seems likely to be selling most of their "drugstore" C-41 in the form of single-use cameras, which Ferrania won't be making.

So in practical terms, Ferrania is not competing with either Kodak or Fuji on any meaningful level. They're providing a product the others aren't interested in making.

Old 10-09-2014   #117
toyfel

Need to feed the film camera! Now I am one of those waiting for their pack of Ferrania Film.

Old 10-09-2014   #118
jenhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

An alternative scenario is: this is going to raise a real positive flag about film use and film support. It has the capacity to raise interest and engagement on a broader scale, and show people there really is a future in film.

...I really think we should stay positive about this project. All the traditional hand-wringing and angst about film's 'decline' ends up as a self-fulfilling prophesy, and I don't see the point in looking for the smallest crumbs of negativity in this endeavor. Naturally just imo.
Agreed. Stay positive - it's the only way to live

I'm certain that the Ferrania team is thrilled at the response so far from film fans. Christmas came early this year.

Old 10-10-2014   #119
mani

If we push hard there's a real possibility we can get the project over the target this weekend!

I just upgraded earlier, but now I really can't afford to contribute any extra. But if we spread the word, and upgrade our pledges as far as we can, then the project will just blow past the target and beyond!

Let's keep film alive!!

Old 10-10-2014   #120
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Down to the last $10,000 - but not there yet. It would be a crying shame to miss from here...
Backers

$240,130
pledged of $250,000 goal

days to go

...Mike