Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras

Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras Made in Japan by Cosina in partnership with Voigtlander, the many modern Voigtlander Leica Screw Mount and Leica M mount bodies offer inexpensive and often unique options into entering the world of Leica rangefinder photography.

Question to Stephen Gandy and CV people...
Old 09-29-2014   #1
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Question to Stephen Gandy and CV people...

Hello,
Where can I find information on the amount of distortion CV lenses have?
Specifically I'd like to check data related to my 15 (M mount) and my 28 3.5 (I like both in terms of distortion), and compare them to distortion measurements of the 35 2.5 I'm interested in and the 35 1.4 I don't like in terms of distortion.
Thank you.

Old 10-01-2014   #2
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdenebro View Post
Hello,
Specifically I'd like to check data related to my 15 (M mount) and my 28 3.5 (I like both in terms of distortion), and compare them to distortion measurements of the 35 2.5 I'm interested in and the 35 1.4 I don't like in terms of distortion.
Thank you.
+1
(not the distortion value, I wanted to say I have been asking myself the same question )

Old 10-01-2014   #3
jsrockit

Quote:
and compare them to distortion measurements of the 35 2.5 I'm interested in and the 35 1.4 I don't like in terms of distortion.
I can tell you that the 35mm 1.4 has a lot more barrel distortion than the 2.5. If you like the 28mm, you'll like the color skopar.

Old 10-01-2014   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Have to say, I've never seen any manufacturer advertise how much distortion their lenses have. That's usually the purview of independent lens testing.

G

Old 10-01-2014   #5
Johann Espiritu
Lawyer / Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I can tell you that the 35mm 1.4 has a lot more barrel distortion than the 2.5. If you like the 28mm, you'll like the color skopar.
+1 here. I've tried both 35's and never got along with the 1.4. The 2.5 and the 1.2 are both superb.

My Flickr

manilacamerastyle

Old 10-01-2014   #6
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Have to say, I've never seen any manufacturer advertise how much distortion their lenses have. That's usually the purview of independent lens testing.
Both Zeiss and Leica provide distortion data in their technical data sheets for lenses (as do Schneider and Rodenstock for their LF and digital/technical camera lenses, though that's not directly relevant here).

Old 10-01-2014   #7
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Hello,
Thank you.
I've never seen any CV published info on CV lens distortion. That said, the 35/1.4 has more barrel distortion than the other CV 35mm lenses - about the same as the non aspheric 35/1.4 Summilux.

Best,
Stephen

Old 10-01-2014   #8
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Thank you Stephen.
Anyway the 35 1.4 is a marvelous lens (I tried it some weeks ago) and it's really small for its speed. Possibly the best lens of any brand out there thinking of performance/price/size/speed.
Cheers,
Juan

Old 10-01-2014   #9
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Thanks!
Cheers,
Juan

Old 10-01-2014   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
Both Zeiss and Leica provide distortion data in their technical data sheets for lenses (as do Schneider and Rodenstock for their LF and digital/technical camera lenses, though that's not directly relevant here).
Guess I've never been enchanted enough to bother reading the lens' technical data sheets. :-)

G

Old 10-01-2014   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Indeed. I use the Color-Skopars quite a lot... The 28 and 35 are great performers. I do wish they'd reissue the 28 in M-mount.

G

Old 10-01-2014   #12
V-12

Quote:
Thank you Stephen.
Anyway the 35 1.4 is a marvelous lens (I tried it some weeks ago) and it's really small for its speed. Possibly the best lens of any brand out there thinking of performance/price/size/speed.
Cheers,
Juan
Possibly because it is a very close copy of the pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux. Not to take anything away from CV lenses.

V

Old 10-01-2014   #13
CliveC

I like the 35mm 1.4 Nokton, however I only use it on a crop-sensor (making it a 50mm), so I probably don't see the worst of the barrel distortion.

Old 10-01-2014   #14
Mark C

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-12 View Post
Possibly because it is a very close copy of the pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux. Not to take anything away from CV lenses.

V
They must not have been looking all that close; it's an 8 element lens.

The Nokton is a nice lens, and I think may be sharper than the Summilux at full aperture, but I see no noticeable distortion with Summilux.

Old 10-01-2014   #15
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Guess I've never been enchanted enough to bother reading the lens' technical data sheets. :-)
They provide substantial entertainment value.

Old 10-01-2014   #16
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
I've never seen any CV published info on CV lens distortion. That said, the 35/1.4 has more barrel distortion than the other CV 35mm lenses - about the same as the non aspheric 35/1.4 Summilux.

Best,
Stephen
Hi Stephen,

This question reminds me that I have one as well.

Could you ask if CV can provide lens distortion correction data to Adobe or work with some other software makers? All of Leica's M lenses can be corrected in Photoshop or Lightroom - it would be nice if the same could be done with CV lenses.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px