Old 08-01-2014   #41
mfogiel

Well, there is always a good side to things. Personally, I would prefer to die from cancer quickly, rather than become demented, but I guess it comes up to individual preferences... I am sorry for your friend, I hope he can be proud of his life so far.
As to the camera - hmm... you might have created yourself a problem, because your expectations will be very high, and what if the camera has issues, and what a new one will come out soon and you will feel obliged to UPGRADE ?

Old 08-01-2014   #42
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Well, there is always a good side to things. Personally, I would prefer to die from cancer quickly, rather than become demented, but I guess it comes up to individual preferences... I am sorry for your friend, I hope he can be proud of his life so far.
As to the camera - hmm... you might have created yourself a problem, because your expectations will be very high, and what if the camera has issues, and what a new one will come out soon and you will feel obliged to UPGRADE ?
Why should anyone ever feel *obliged* to upgrade? I'd only feel obliged to upgrade if Leica or a client paid me to do so.

I might *want* to upgrade if there was some advantage to the new model, as there is from M9 to new M, but that's hardly feeling obliged.

G

Old 08-01-2014   #43
Pioneer

The best to your friend and his family.

Enjoy your M. Although they are often thought of as expensive toys, I think we are blessed to be able to enjoy these unique cameras.

Have fun on your trip.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 08-01-2014   #44
hendriphile

All best wishes for you both.
You'll bond quickly with your M. It really feels like a film M.
As they say in Marin County, California:

Oh Wow. Oh Wow.
Go for it. Right now.

Old 08-01-2014   #45
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrance View Post
I think you need more vices Keith.
... some sensible advice at last

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 08-01-2014   #46
ellisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Next Tuesday morning I'll be jumping in my car and heading west to wherever ... Longreach, Barcaldine, Blackall, Cunamulla ... all places I've wanted to see for a long time.

I'll have the 240 and four M mount lenses ... 15mm, 25mm 35mm and 50mm and nothing else photographically. Two weeks holiday and little to do except look, take photographs and get to know the digital M and also get to know Australia and the people who choose to live in these dryer more remote parts of this amazing country.
That sounds like a great trip and a great place and time to get to know the 240. Congrats on getting this. As a leuk who miraculously recovered from hellish times and now appreciates the people and places and wonderful nature around us, I have to second the motion about going for it now, getting the joy of shooting with a great camera.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 08-01-2014   #47
B.Toews

Quote:
Next Tuesday morning I'll be jumping in my car and heading west to wherever ... Longreach, Barcaldine, Blackall, Cunamulla ... all places I've wanted to see for a long time.

I'll have the 240 and four M mount lenses ... 15mm, 25mm 35mm and 50mm and nothing else photographically. Two weeks holiday and little to do except look, take photographs and get to know the digital M and also get to know Australia and the people who choose to live in these dryer more remote parts of this amazing country.
Sounds like a fun trip, looking forward to some photos when you get back!

Old 08-01-2014   #48
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
the wrong side of 60…
i'm beginning to hate that term!
i'm on the wrong side of 60 and sometimes it scares the crap out of me…

very sorry about about your buddy…people around me are dropping like flies lately and death seems like it's become a neighbor…always close by.

i might have gone for the monochrom myself with a nice 35mm lens...
Joe,

Between the age of 40-55 you statistically are the least likely to die, but by 65 fifty percent of the people you graduated high school with will be dead. Basically between 40-55 you can over eat, smoke, drink and party like you have a get outa jail free card, but after 55 you have to pay up.

My friend Dave has said, "It's later than you think." Also nothing wrong with living life fully instead of dragging it out untill one is feeble. For me its all about a qual;ity of life issue.

Cal

Old 08-01-2014   #49
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Joe,

Between the age of 40-55 you statistically are the least likely to die, but by 65 fifty percent of the people you graduated high school with will be dead. Basically between 40-55 you can over eat, smoke, drink and party like you have a get outa jail free card, but after 55 you have to pay up.

My friend Dave has said, "It's later than you think." Also nothing wrong with living life fully instead of dragging it out untill one is feeble. For me its all about a qual;ity of life issue.

Cal
i'm 63 and i have lived longer than my parents…dad died at 23 and mom at 55…i always feel like i'm on borrowed time.

Old 08-01-2014   #50
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Keith,

I bought a Monochrom in a similar manner as you did your M-240, but in my case I'm a person with a lympho prolific disorder, that is uncurable, that can be considered a slow growing Cancer, and that at this point requires no treatment. If my disease ever makes the jump into an aggressive Cancer the research suggests I will pass rapidly, yet there is a 90%-95% chance that my rare disease might never make the jump. My only lifestyle change is that I must avoid the cold, and I exercise religiously to mitigate the fatigue that is a symptom of my disease.

I kinda live life in a way that if I won the lottery that my life would not be all that different. Currently I own a lot of nice cameras, and if I won the lottery perhaps the only camera I would buy is a M-240.

I know that I have a good chance of outliving my disease without complications, but I also realize that I have a 5-10 percent risk factor of my life dramatically changing rather suddenly. On the other side of the coin is my poor illiterate dad who had a brutal life lived to 94, and there is good reason that I will enjoy longevity. In my case I have to plan for both.

I'm sure both you and your friend are trying to live life more fully as not to waste any precious time.

Cal

Old 08-01-2014   #51
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i'm 63 and i have lived longer than my parents…dad died at 23 and mom at 55…i always feel like i'm on borrowed time.
Joe,

See my other post to Keith. We are all on borrowed time.

I'm 56, and they say you need to plan for retirement a decade ahead. I'm looking at the numbers and I have a really good plan on sustaining myself for the long term, but it is difficult knowing that I have a hand grenade right next to me that can explode at any time.

I'm doing everything I can to stay healthy, but... a great underlying uncertainty is a bitter backdrop.

All I can suggest is to live life fully to avoid any regrets. BTW the Monochrom is a real game changer and has made me into a better photographer. I stll love and shoot film, but digital is less forgiving than film, and the demands of digital for me raised the bar. I say get that Monochrom if that's what is good for you. Also know that having met you I did not think you were older than me.

Cal

Old 08-01-2014   #52
GaryLH

Sorry to hear about your good friend. The close friends u make in your life are special. I am also on the wrong side go 60.. Life is short, enjoy it.. Good for u on getting that m240. Enjoy that extended vacation and post those pics.

Gary

Old 08-01-2014   #53
f16sunshine

Cheers for your healthy choices Keith! I hope to follow you when my financial health improves. (Not if when )

Best!

Old 08-01-2014   #54
lxmike
Barnack fan

sorry to hear about your friend, times like this put things into prespective, I decided that this year I would take more photos and with cameras that would breath new life into me, I survived a fire at the end of 2013, (and after a stint in a burns unit), I decided to grab life by the full, good luck with your new Leica

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 08-01-2014   #55
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Right side, wrong side, eh? I'm going to be 60 in 25 days. I doubt that I'll feel terribly different from how I do now in 26 days, which is "... Pretty good, given the mileage." ];-)

G

Old 08-01-2014   #56
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Joe,

See my other post to Keith. We are all on borrowed time.

I'm 56, and they say you need to plan for retirement a decade ahead. I'm looking at the numbers and I have a really good plan on sustaining myself for the long term, but it is difficult knowing that I have a hand grenade right next to me that can explode at any time.

I'm doing everything I can to stay healthy, but... a great underlying uncertainty is a bitter backdrop.

All I can suggest is to live life fully to avoid any regrets. BTW the Monochrom is a real game changer and has made me into a better photographer. I stll love and shoot film, but digital is less forgiving than film, and the demands of digital for me raised the bar. I say get that Monochrom if that's what is good for you. Also know that having met you I did not think you were older than me.

Cal
Also know that having met you I did not think you were older than me.

i knew i liked you for some reason!
if i had the money, i would buy the monochrom but alas it is not to be...

Old 08-01-2014   #57
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Right side, wrong side, eh? I'm going to be 60 in 25 days. I doubt that I'll feel terribly different from how I do now in 26 days, which is "... Pretty good, given the mileage." ];-)

G
i hate to be the one to tell you…but it's like a light switch…you turn 60 and your body turns on against you…oh the aches and pains...

Old 08-01-2014   #58
Doug

It's a dance of the decades...
At 20 we're lucky to have survived the dangerous youth years
At 30 entering the bloom of adulthood we have lost the trust of the younger generation
At 40 we've gotten past the mating game and rearing of the youngest children
At 50 we're officially "over the hill" and part of the older generation, having avoided many health dangers.
At 60 there's that light-switch of the body turned against you!
At 70 we've gotten into retirement, grandparenthood, cancers, and an uncertain future, while having great fun.
At 80, well, we shall see!

Have fun, Keith, with the M(240)

Old 08-01-2014   #59
Carterofmars

Very sorry to hear about your buddy.

Truth is Keith, you've made some amazing images that I've seen over the years that I've been a member of RFF. Sounds to me like your a reasonably grounded person with priorities that are pretty sensible. You have to have a passion in life and photography is one of the great passions.

Enjoy that 240. Keep making great images for us to enjoy.

Old 08-01-2014   #60
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Thanks for all the supportive comments people ... it's why I'm a member here. The general level of plain old human decency is very high here IMO.

Took the car into work this morning and gave it a good going over to make sure nothing will drop off along the way. (hopefully) Someone pointed out that I am about to head into unknown territory in a French car with a German camera ... I hadn't thought of it that way!

I'll be taking my laptop with me and there will be wi-fi in the towns so I may upload the odd pic here for your amusement. My first priority is the Stockman's Hall Of Fame in Longreach then of to a place called Isis Downs that has a heritage listed shearing shed that is quite unique apparently ... only one of it's type in the southern hemisphere I'm told. Semi circular and housed fifty shearers at a time all 'going for it' during the wool boom years ... sadly well and truly over now!

Old 08-01-2014   #61
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Look at it this way, you're on the right side of 70. Don't hold back, time's running out. I really liked that idea of taking your friend, splendid.

Old 08-01-2014   #62
semordnilap

Congratulations Keith, and of course y sympathies for your friend. It's a tough thing for folks on bot sides of the matter...

I got myself a 240 just a couple of weeks ago... Mainly because rangefinders are how I best enjoy photography, and life is too short to not enjoy, if you can. I realized that I could sell some things that I just wasn't using to make up the cost of a used one, so I did it, and it's been great so far.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Good luck on your trip and I look forward to seeing those pictures.

And remember, you're always as young as you feel... Have fun and stay healthy!

flickr

Old 08-01-2014   #63
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula View Post
Not to hijack your thread--this is about 240 joy after all--but...I was just wondering how you made out with the little merrills and the larger SD1 (is it called?). Did you master them? I do find them tricky but they will do one thing really well eh? What was the best lens to use with the SD1?

Mastering the Merrills was a challenge and I have to say I have nothing but praise for those cameras ... they are truly amazing! Fav lens for the SD1M would have to be the 18-35 f1.8 zoom I got ... quality of a prime but with amazing versatility ... but also heavy!

I'm finding the 240 an absolute breeze to focus after the Merrills ... slow AF is a bitch and the SD1M doesn't have a particularly brilliant finder so manual focusing on the DSLR is difficult for me. One thing I've really noticed about the aging process is diminished light perception ... this is where a rangefinder has it all over a DSLR IMO.

Old 08-01-2014   #64
ricnak

Sorry to hear about your friend Keith.

Great to hear that you are continuing your camera purchasing journey (finally, in the right direction IMHO (I don't have many)).

Even better to hear that you going on an actual journey with it. It is harsh but stunning country out that way and a good time of year to do it. Looking forward to see what you come home with.

Stay safe.
h.

Old 08-01-2014   #65
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Ha ha ... thanks Helen. I knew you'd approve of the choice of a digital M.

Old 08-02-2014   #66
adespen

Coming to Melbourne?

Old 08-02-2014   #67
robert blu
quiet photographer

65 here. Sorry to ear about your friend. Yes, as already said life is short and it's later than we think...waiting to see your pictures...enjoy your trip and the new camera.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-03-2014   #68
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
I think I've seen enough from the 240 to make me think it matches the IQ of the little Sigmas ... which I'll probably now sell.

There has been a bit of call from rangefinders for me of late ... It's why I came here (RFF) after all!
Condolences about your friend. There's a reason why sages of old began their teachings with reflection on the cycle of birth, old age, sickness, and death.

I was using my film RFs last month and simply (re)loved it. So much so that I went and got another 40 rolls after the first 12.

The Sigma Merrills deliver texture and color in a way that is unlike other smallish cameras, and well-suited to landscape and architecture. I think that in some cases you will miss them.

But this will be insignificant next to the joy of the trip you are planning and the use of a great digital rangefinder.

flickr
Flickr

Old 08-03-2014   #69
gb hill

Quote:
I've mused about the possibility of owning a digital M for a long time ... I'm single with no dependants, I smoke minimally, I shop at Aldi, I don't go to restaurants, I drink very little, I wear my clothes until they are near falling off me and I'm now on the wrong side of sixty ... photography is my only real vice!

A few weeks ago a very good friend (several years younger than moi) who I've known for thirty odd years was diagnosed with terminal cancer and probably has a few months left at best ... did this shake me up a little? It sure did!

Need I say more? ... life's too short folks and you never know when your number's up. Will I like the 240, is it the right camera for me? .... who knows, but I'm not about to die wondering.
Life is short & so sorry about your friend. Ya know, everytime I hear/read of someone with terminal cancer I think of photographer James Fee. Fee up to his last days was driven around by a friend so James could get out & take photographs. It was in B&W Mag. where I 1st heard of Fee & one of the photos that someone took of James standing outside the car, he looked so sick you could feel his struggle just to hold up the camera.

Enjoy your trip Keith. I haven't been on a trip in so long, my wife is disabled somewhat & I'm about the only source of income so funds are tight at times. I enjoy reading about people's trips, like Frank's motorcycle trip throughout portions of the U.S. Share with us your trip, & photos when you return.

Old 08-03-2014   #70
KEH

Keith,

A friend of mine suddenly quit a great job and started writing a book and taking up other new challenges. I asked him about it, and all he said is 'my friends have started dying.'

A healthy response, as is yours. Look forward to some pics!

Kirk

Old 08-03-2014   #71
Livesteamer

The last time I drove thru West Virginia I saw a bit of wisdom on a truck bumper sticker. It said;

Every day above ground is a good day!

Good Days and Good Light to All. Joe

Old 08-03-2014   #72
Bingley

I know what you mean about being on the wrong side of 60... I'm in denial about being there myself. My best wishes for your friend. That kind of diagnosis simply sucks. Congrats on the M240 and on your trip... I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures and your commentary on how the camera worked for you.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 08-03-2014   #73
lukitas
second hand noob

Congratulations. My jealousy is heart-felt.

About death and disease : at some point in life we all have to grapple with the fact that life does not follow well-ordered timetables, it isn't a well ordered swiss watch. Bad surprises make us wary of uncertainty, the unforeseen bits can hurt nastily.
But Lady Fortune is blind. She hurts and she heals, without distinction. The unforeseen can be as glorious as it can be catastrophic.

Listen to me pontificate!

Just point your camera in the right direction, please.

You lucky swine, you!

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 08-03-2014   #74
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukitas View Post
Congratulations. My jealousy is heart-felt.

About death and disease : at some point in life we all have to grapple with the fact that life does not follow well-ordered timetables, it isn't a well ordered swiss watch. Bad surprises make us wary of uncertainty, the unforeseen bits can hurt nastily.
But Lady Fortune is blind. She hurts and she heals, without distinction. The unforeseen can be as glorious as it can be catastrophic.

Listen to me pontificate!

Just point your camera in the right direction, please.

You lucky swine, you!

Brilliant post lukitas.

Old 08-03-2014   #75
uhoh7

Good for you, Keith

Looking forward to see your work with the 240

I narrowly escaped melanoma myself last year, but they managed to carve it out just in time.

The brevity of life becomes increasingly apparent with time.

Old 08-03-2014   #76
thompsonks

Are you taking your friend on that trip? He deserves a bit of indulgence too.

Kirk

Old 08-03-2014   #77
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonks View Post
Are you taking your friend on that trip? He deserves a bit of indulgence too.

Kirk

Steve and his wife are very busy over the next few weeks ... so his dance card is currently very full. Lots of trips away to make the most of what little time they have left together.

He is being very positive I have to say. In his words; ... "I've had a very rewarding and interesting life ... I've done almost everything I've wanted to do so I don't feel too hard done by."

He has been offered chemo to potentially give him more time but he chose not to take that option.

Old 08-03-2014   #78
rich_

I hope you enjoy using your new camera and creating more memories.

Old 08-04-2014   #79
Duane Pandorf

Congrats Keith! Enjoy!

Old 08-06-2014   #80
back alley
IMAGES

so keith, what are you doing with that old rd1 you have?