Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

"Who killed infinity focus"
Old 07-15-2014   #1
greyelm
Malcolm

"Who killed infinity focus"

Here's an interesting article on infinity focus of modern lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...-focus?BI=4906

Old 07-16-2014   #2
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Interesting reading. Thanks for posting the link.

...Miike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 07-16-2014   #3
Tijmendal
Young photog

I've wondered this in the past as well. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-16-2014   #4
brbo

"One of the traditional hallmarks of a high-quality manual-focus lens was that the focus ring would stop precisely at the ∞ mark. This allowed photographers to set their lenses quickly so that everything past a known distance would be in focus. Photographers could do this on the run without looking at their lenses or doing hyper-focal calculations and adjustments."

Either me or author of this article don't quite understand 'infinity focus'...

Old 07-16-2014   #5
uhoh7

"In optics and photography, infinity focus is the state where a lens or other optical system forms an image of an object an infinite distance away. This corresponds to the point of focus for parallel rays. The image is formed at the focal point of the lens.

In a simple, two lens system such as a refractor telescope, The object at infinity forms an image at the Focal Point of the objective lens, which is subsequently magnified by the eyepiece. The magnification is equal to the focal length of the objective lens divided by the focal length of the eyepiece. [1]"
wikipedia

Old 07-16-2014   #6
Chris101
summicronia

An infinity focus stop only needs to be within the depth of focus of the largest aperture, as a matter of practical lens design.

Old 07-16-2014   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
"One of the traditional hallmarks of a high-quality manual-focus lens was that the focus ring would stop precisely at the ∞ mark. This allowed photographers to set their lenses quickly so that everything past a known distance would be in focus. Photographers could do this on the run without looking at their lenses or doing hyper-focal calculations and adjustments."

Wow, Thanks for saving my time from reading this nonsense.

My high-quality AF Canon L lenses wouldn't stop at infinity, but I feel it without looking at it.
And hyper-focal calculations has nothing to do with stop at infinity, but DoF, which you must look at.
This is the picture from B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mm_f_1_2L.html

And most of consumer grade DSLR(SLR) lenses do stop at infinity.

B&H dropped the plank so low with this one.

Old 07-16-2014   #8
Roger Hicks

Mostly twaddle. Then again, 1970s Vivitar "solid cats" focus "beyond" infinity to allow for thermal expansion: it can matter with very long focal lengths. Overall, with modern lenses, I can't help feeling "Serve you right for using autofocus".

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-16-2014   #9
judsonzhao

I don't quite get the point of the article, probably I'm so mean, lol.
Are there anyone killing infinity focus? Has it been killed yet?

Old 07-16-2014   #10
Ranchu
-

Good info, thank you.

Old 07-16-2014   #11
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Well, there's no point in attempting to focus at infinity, because with the inverse-square law by the time light from infinity reaches your camera there's very little left with which to make an exposure.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 07-18-2014   #12
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

Add me to the list of doubters, please. This intro makes you suspect what follows.

Regards, David

Old 07-23-2014   #13
cosmonaut

Infinity died when Carl Sagan did.

Old 03-12-2015   #14
kossi008
Photon Counter

Well they did not make their point very well, and they did not mention that you actually give half of your DOF away if you focus to infinity (instead of the hyperfocal distance).

But then, focusing to infiinity via hardstop is really the only thing to do if it's really dark and you cannot see the scale anymore.

This used to annoy me greatly when trying to do night shots with my Canon EOS gear (all of which has been sold in the meantime)... it would be too dark for the AF to find its mark, and I would not be able to focus manually either. Very frustrating. And yes, it did serve me right for using AF.

Old 03-12-2015   #15
TXForester

I'm more concerned about the other distance marks and aperture marks. If a lens doesn't have these, like many entry level lenses, then you have to measure the distance to the focal point, and consult a chart or app in you smart phone. Assuming you can do both. Old way gave you an aperture setting at approximately the DoF you want in seconds.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken

Old 03-12-2015   #16
Huss

I thought this was about infinity focus locks. Like on my Summicron V1.

Old 03-12-2015   #17
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Mostly twaddle. Then again, 1970s Vivitar "solid cats" focus "beyond" infinity to allow for thermal expansion: it can matter with very long focal lengths. Overall, with modern lenses, I can't help feeling "Serve you right for using autofocus".

Cheers,

R.
I use modern autofocus lenses half the time. Does that mean it serves me half right or half serves me right?

Old 03-12-2015   #18
Samouraï

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Wow, Thanks for saving my time from reading this nonsense.

My high-quality AF Canon L lenses wouldn't stop at infinity, but I feel it without looking at it.
And hyper-focal calculations has nothing to do with stop at infinity, but DoF, which you must look at.
This is the picture from B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mm_f_1_2L.html

And most of consumer grade DSLR(SLR) lenses do stop at infinity.

B&H dropped the plank so low with this one.
I used to have some Canon glass (including this one), and hitting infinity was always a pain. Not much of an issue in practice on a DSLR because I never shot manual (as I couldn't really gauge it without a split prism or a rangefinder).

Old 03-12-2015   #19
mdarnton

I sent a Nikon AI lens in for cleaning a couple of years ago and it came back focusing past infinity at the infinity setting. I called to complain, and the (Nikon authorized and trained) repair service put on the (Nikon trained) technician who explained that some AF systems won't give a green dot unless you go past the point of focus and back, which you can't at infinity if it stops there. He said the official word from Nikon was to set them to go past infinity for that reason, mainly, he thought, to keep people from complaining that they couldn't focus at infinity. :-)

He did set mine back to the way it was after I asked. My complaint was that I focus by scale quite often, and it didn't work to be setting seven feet and getting fifteen. He warned me, however, to specify what I wanted on future repairs, so it would come back right.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 03-12-2015   #20
raid
Dad Photographer

I still have not accepted AF lenses. Manually focusing is more fun.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-13-2015   #21
ph.

AND not to speak of the many inaccurate mount adapters which for wide-angles can make you wish for even greater inaccuracies. At least one maker sticks to actual mount dimensions. One whom one may perhaps not name or fall foul of advertising rules (new flexibility in English -slightly translated).

p.

Old 03-13-2015   #22
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXForester View Post
I'm more concerned about the other distance marks and aperture marks. If a lens doesn't have these, like many entry level lenses, then you have to measure the distance to the focal point, and consult a chart or app in you smart phone. Assuming you can do both. Old way gave you an aperture setting at approximately the DoF you want in seconds.
Yeah, how do you set your flash strobe if the lens doesn't give you a proper distance.

Old 03-20-2015   #23
1joel1

Part of the deal with the old FD mount "L" lenses was that they would focus past infinity to allow for thermal expansion of the fluorite elements.

Joel

Old 03-20-2015   #24
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Yeah, how do you set your flash strobe if the lens doesn't give you a proper distance.
Yep. Not like I carry a tape measure or a laser distance measurer in my pocket when I go out to take photos.

Why can't a modern digital have the ability to measure the focus distance, then put a screen up on the LCD that is a chart for aperture and DoF for that distance. Essentially doing what an app in your phone can do without the extra burden.

Alternatively you could have a program where you focus on the near side of the desired DoF, then focus on the far side of the DoF and the camera automatically calculates a focus distance and aperture that gives you what you want and sets both. You might have a third focus point for the subject to insure it is sharply focused.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken

Old 03-21-2015   #25
dct

Quote:
Yep. Not like I carry a tape measure or a laser distance measurer in my pocket when I go out to take photos.

Why can't a modern digital have the ability to measure the focus distance, then put a screen up on the LCD that is a chart for aperture and DoF for that distance. Essentially doing what an app in your phone can do without the extra burden.
Exactly this.
What I see in my Fuji X series is this approach, having a meter (or feet) bar with an in-focus-field depending on the aperture and a mark where the lens focus is actually set manually or by AF. I try to utilize it when I need true hyper focal focus, but also for zone focus of course.

The implementation in the Fujis is not bad, but for sure it could me optimized widely with the capability of personal configuration functionalities as your suggestion below.
Quote:
Alternatively you could have a program where you focus on the near side of the desired DoF, then focus on the far side of the DoF and the camera automatically calculates a focus distance and aperture that gives you what you want and sets both. You might have a third focus point for the subject to insure it is sharply focused.
I would add the functionality of broadening and limiting the DoF area depending on the purpose of your image (print small, print big, for pixel peepers...) and the lens in use.

Would all of this solve the whole problem of infinity focus for AF lenses without mechanical coupling to the focus ring?

Old 03-21-2015   #26
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
Infinity died when Carl Sagan did.
with ... Buzz Lightyear, surely

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 03-21-2015   #27
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

Cheers,

R.
Because it is very helpful in fast moving situations. Unfortunately they have ruined the lenses for the more useful manual focus.