Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Business / Philosophy of Photography

Business / Philosophy of Photography Taking pics is one thing, but understanding why we take them, what they mean, what they are best used for, how they effect our reality -- all of these and more are important issues of the Philosophy of Photography. One of the best authors on the subject is Susan Sontag in her book "On Photography."

Old 06-16-2014   #41
Takkun
Ian M.

Copyright, revenue, possible flash degradation, etc, etc. But I can tell you nothing drives me nuts more at museums that allow photography than people obnoxiously pushing past people, setting up tripods, or just making a racket with motor drive trying to photograph all the pieces. That's disrespectful for other patrons. Not that anyone on RFF does anything like that, or that it might be the reason specifically at the Alamo, but it's why I don't particularly mind bans.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 06-17-2014   #42
citizen99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
Copyright, revenue, possible flash degradation, etc, etc. But I can tell you nothing drives me nuts more at museums that allow photography than people obnoxiously pushing past people, setting up tripods, or just making a racket with motor drive trying to photograph all the pieces. That's disrespectful for other patrons. Not that anyone on RFF does anything like that, or that it might be the reason specifically at the Alamo, but it's why I don't particularly mind bans.
... +1... and flash itself can also spoil the experience for other people. Even if photography is allowed, if I can't take a picture quietly, hand-held, available light, I don't bother - better to buy the postcard .

Old 06-17-2014   #43
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
And the long-winded, technical treatise on the subject:
http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/mhe1000/m...lashphoto2.htm
This essay contains the real reason why flash photography now remains perceived as something prone to damage art works :

"The early use of flash for night-time and indoor photography was definitely alarming. Originally a spoonful of magnesium metal powder was ignited on an open tray and it exploded with a short flash of bright light, some sparks and some smoke. Not something that anyone would want to use near a work of art! By the 1930s newspaper cameramen were using glass bulbs with magnesium filaments inside - we have seen them in old newsreel films. Sometimes the bulbs burst, scattering hot sparks. Even if the bulb did not burst it was hot enough immediately after use to be a fire hazard if not disposed of properly. Many curators would not let them be used in galleries. After World War II miniature flash bulbs were being used by amateur photographers and even these occasionally malfunctioned."

This is something I have explained sometimes - the big difference between what is described here, and how modern electronic flashes work. It somehow worked to calm curators down.

The most funny thing I ever saw was the roof of the Sixtin Chapel looking like some fireworks because of all the smartphones flashing one after another. Afterall, hadn't Michelangelo painted a representation of the original thunderlight over there ?

Old 06-17-2014   #44
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausalitoDog View Post
Of COURSE it's silly...it's TEXAS !!!
This all you need to know.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-17-2014   #45
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
Tripods are banned, because they pose a health and safety risk indoors (and, in some bizarre cases outdoors as well).
Same as for flashes. Older tripods had metallic feet which damaged the galleries floors. So tripods got banned and still are, even if modern tripods have harmless plastic feet.

Old 06-17-2014   #46
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
The British Museum (and many others in the UK) has a very enlightened attitude towards photography.
Wonderful to hear! Even 25 years since I first visited the place I still regard that museum as a treasure (above and beyond even the treasures contained therein). I've not had the opportunity to visit for a long, long, time but I'm glad they are still a credit to themselves and their nation, even if only in this regard.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 06-17-2014   #47
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by santela View Post
That sounds pretty much like the "turn off all your electronics when the plane is taking off or landing" rule. I understand no cell phone (even though I don't think it really matters), but no iPod or Walkman? That's just paranoid.
In fact using electronics (yes, even phones) has a negligible impact on a plane's operations. But by virtue of bureaucracy it is still required that every electronic device used during takeoff and landing be individually tested...and airlines find it easier to simply ban everything instead of only allowing a certain number of devices.

I guess we live in a pretty paranoid world.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 06-17-2014   #48
Thardy

Quote:
Of course it's silly ...it's Paris !!!

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/visit/i...otography.html

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 06-17-2014   #49
haempe
negative guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Same as for flashes. Older tripods had metallic feet which damaged the galleries floors. So tripods got banned and still are, even if modern tripods have harmless plastic feet.
Yes and no.
I've seen more than once idiots which are too lazy (or disrespectful) to use the rubber protectors on their tripod-feets even on 300 years old Parquet Floor...

Sometimes only a few idiots are enough to spoil the fun for many...

haempe.net

Old 06-17-2014   #50
haempe
negative guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post

I can understand that.
Lately I am very often annoyed, when I go to a concert and only get to see held aloft smartphones and tablets.

haempe.net

Old 06-17-2014   #51
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by haempe View Post
I can understand that.
Lately I am very often annoyed, when I go to a concert and only get to see held aloft smartphones and tablets.
The most interesting pictures to be taken at museums or exhibitions are those of the people, not the art works anyway. Unobtrusively using a mechanical film camera loaded with Tri-X often allows you to take some good photos in spite of the "rules"... in this case below I couldn't help taking this photo because of the resemblance between this young lady and the Duchess of Urbino. Of course, a few seconds later, a guard was after me, but nothing nasty happened and everything ended with smiles...

Florence - Galleria degli Uffici - May 2013. Nikon S2, Nikkor-H-C 50/2, Tri-X.

Old 06-17-2014   #52
haempe
negative guy

No doubt, sometimes the rules has to be bend or broken.
If I see a good shot, I wouldn't ask if it's allowed...

But, in context, I understand the meaning and need of the rules, well, at least often...

haempe.net

Things are changing
Old 06-17-2014   #53
dct

Things are changing

Just heard a podcast on this topic (1st minutes, only German).
http://www.srf.ch/sendungen/kultur-k...-in-den-museen

It seems museums in Switzerland are adopting their rules to the benefit of visitors: Private photography is more and more allowed as long as you don't use flash or tirpods.

I will give it a try in the next months.

Old 06-17-2014   #54
hendriphile

Quote:
The most disrespectful act involving the Alamo I've ever heard of was when uber-Rocker Ozzy Osbourne, in a very "refreshed" state wandered up to it and urinated upon it. Even my my liberal standards, I could understand the locals being a bit frisky about that sort of antic.

Here in the UK, we have an organisation called The National Trust. This organisation is a charitable trust which "looks after" a lot of stately homes, historic and other places of interest, including coastline, country estates and the like.

My wife and I were members for many years but cancelled our membership earlier this year. The main reason being that they have a very erratic and irritating attitude towards photography. The use of flash photography is universally banned (for the same non-reasons as discussed already - i.e. priceless paintings and tapestries which would be bleached white should any light fall upon them)

Tripods are banned, because they pose a health and safety risk indoors (and, in some bizarre cases outdoors as well). When one explains that the camera doesn't possess a flash nor does it require one, the car-park attendant mided employee will think up some other bullsh*t reason.

My own belief is that these places sell their own guide books and allowing punters to take their own snaps prevents further contributions to the upkeep. If they were honest about it and say as much in so many words, I'd respect them. As it is, the National Trust lost my respect altogether. I won't try to buck the rules as they are entitled to do as they wish. Equally, so am I and I'm not short of places where I can visit and take photos.

The moral of the story, I suppose, is that they need our money more than we need to visit their properties. Unless, these (usually well-meaning but often ill-informed or delusional) organisations catch up with the 21st century, they risk alienating their customer base to the point that they will have no reason to continue to exist.

Incidentally, The British Museum (and many others in the UK) has a very enlightened attitude towards photography.
This Yank thanks you for the explanation of the N.T.
Now I can understand the reference: "...a soap impression of his wife which he ate and donated to the National Trust..."

Selective enforcement.
Old 06-17-2014   #55
Marcuza

Selective enforcement.

Interestingly, this rule was suspended for a week in early January when the monument was photographically documented by historians from several universities using laser scanners and large format film cameras. Read the story here:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/communit...mo-5139200.php

Old 06-17-2014   #56
Spanik

I read a few times here that The National Trust (sometimes) allows photography inside their buildings. I'm a bit surprised by that. I have been member for about 5 years (must be in the 1990's) when we visited the UK each year and I haven't been allowed to take a single photo in any of the properties I visited. Is this a recent change?

I have no problem with "no photo allowed". Or with paying a reasonable fee to do so, like in some cathedrals or museums where I can understand that money is welcome to keep the thing going. But it got the be clear what can and what can not.

Old 06-17-2014   #57
biomed

It is quite puzzling why the rule of photographing or not varies from place to place. Here in the Seattle area we are blessed with several outstanding aircraft museums/collections including the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum and the Tillamook Air Museum in Oregon. Photography is allowed in all of them even with tripods. South of us is the amazing LeMay Museum with the largest collection of automobiles in the world. They allow photography but ban tripods because of possible damage to the cars - most of them are not behind any barrier. When I was in the Alamo it was different. No photographs and no talking above a whisper in the chapel. It is more than a historical site to Texas. It is a shrine to the larger than life fallen heroes of the Texas Republic and Texas freedom. The Alamo is usually staffed with members of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas ( the organization that is responsible for saving the Alamo). As much as many disagree with no photography policies, it is what it is.

Mike

2016 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 06-17-2014   #58
E__WOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiEE View Post
I was in San Antonio, Texas this past week on business and decided to take a walk over to the Alamo. As I walked inside, I noticed the "no photography" sign plastered around, but apparently my colleague did not. He went to take a photo and the workers told him not to take pictures. He asked why and at least one of the employees said it was disrespectful. I don't fully understand this logic, how taking a picture would be disrespectful (in this particular instance). Any thoughts?
http://www.thealamo.org/plan-a-visit/rules.html

The Alamo has a unique set of rules befitting its status as the Shrine of Texas Liberty and hallowed ground. Please read the rules before entering the Shrine to ensure a respectful, pleasant visit.

Rules of Reverence

Help Honor Their Memory

Gentlemen, please remove your hats inside the Shrine.
No open containers are allowed inside the buildings.
No food or drinks are allowed inside the buildings.
Photography is not allowed inside the buildings.
No camera or cell phone use is permitted inside the buildings.
Please do not touch the walls or display cases inside the Shrine.
No pets are allowed on Alamo Grounds (service animals allowed).
No restrooms inside the Shrine. Public restrooms located at back of grounds.
No obscene or offensive clothing is allowed.
No bikes or skateboards are allowed on the grounds.
Please lower your voice when speaking.
No unauthorized weapons are allowed. CHL allowed with permit.
Ice chests are allowed but must not be left unattended at any time.

Old 06-17-2014   #59
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYV_146 View Post
In fact using electronics (yes, even phones) has a negligible impact on a plane's operations. But by virtue of bureaucracy it is still required that every electronic device used during takeoff and landing be individually tested...and airlines find it easier to simply ban everything instead of only allowing a certain number of devices.
It is changing in small steps. I already made a couple of flights this year where gate-to-gate mobile device use was allowed.

Old 06-17-2014   #60
Takkun
Ian M.

Couldn't help myself.

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 06-18-2014   #61
greyelm
Malcolm

For visitors to London here is a list of venues that I have photographed inside within the last
two years.

Tower of London
Museum of London
Imperial War Museum (except the Holocaust exhibition)
British Museum
Hampton Court (except the Chapel)
Ham House
Brooklands Museum

For other venues their web sites usually have details of photography restrictions (if any).

Old 06-18-2014   #62
Chris101
summicronia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post

Couldn't help myself.
That could totally be recaptioned ya know ...

Old 06-19-2014   #63
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Of course!!
That's why "silly" people like ... say, Toyota Motor Corp chose to move to TX from CA.

Old 06-19-2014   #64
Kenj8246

Think Will was responding to the TX basher from CA. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion....

Old 06-19-2014   #65
Rick Waldroup

You know, you can call Texans many things, and most of them would be well deserved and most Texans would proudly agree with you- loud mouth boors, ignorant hillbillies, redneck assholes, gun-toting fanatics, overbearing braggarts who are full of bull****, I mean the list is endless.......

But there is one thing you cannot call them, and that is, silly.......

No real Texan will put up with that.

Just so you know.

Old 06-19-2014   #66
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

You know, it's funny. I had two occasions when people were very friendly to my taking pictures at their properties, I had a good chat about photography with them, and they sent me off with a smile.

One in Texas, one in California.

People are quite nice up close and personal, if we don't pick up a broad brush and paint labels instead.

Old 06-19-2014   #67
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post

Thanks for that - and a very interesting read, including their logical but slightly left-field reason.

The interesting thing to me is that they are quite happy for you to sketch with a A3 notepad and pencil but not to photograph.

Old 06-19-2014   #68
uhoh7

Which is worse, violating a no photo rule (w/o flash), or speeding?

Old 06-19-2014   #69
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Which is worse, violating a no photo rule (w/o flash), or speeding?
Do you want what people think is worse, or which one they do more often?

The Photography Police are pretty vigilant, and getting thrown out of a museum is embarrassing and wasteful of time and money.

Speeding is only very occasionally detected and therefore the average cost of speeding is probably lower than the average cost of taking an "unauthorized" photograph.

Old 06-19-2014   #70
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
Just heard a podcast on this topic (1st minutes, only German).
http://www.srf.ch/sendungen/kultur-k...-in-den-museen

It seems museums in Switzerland are adopting their rules to the benefit of visitors: Private photography is more and more allowed as long as you don't use flash or tirpods.

I will give it a try in the next months.
Just found an example: The KUNSTHAUS Zurich explicitly allows photography for their permanent exhibition.
http://www.kunsthaus.ch/en/information/
(read: general house rules)

Old 07-30-2014   #71
Deardorff

If taking a photo is disrecpectful why are postcards OK?
Your photos would be personal. The Postcards commercialize the place.

Old 07-30-2014   #72
charjohncarter

What's 'Disrespectful' is building a department store less the 50 meters from the Alamo on one side and some other nutty looking building on the other.