Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

Surprise! Enjoying the Fuji X-T1
Old 06-05-2014   #1
David_Manning

Surprise! Enjoying the Fuji X-T1

In Hawaii shooting last week, met another shooter using an X-T1 and 18mm (28 FoV). We traded cameras for a few shots (my M9 for his X-T1).

I came home, couldn't get that damn thing off my mind.

Yesterday, bought an X-T1 and 23mm f1.4 lens (my first 35mm FoV f1.4 lens). I'm very impressed with it's size (lack thereof), IQ, and colors (oddly enough, since I primarily shoot b&w). High ISO is a breeze, and it has a strong resemblance to my FE2.

I'm enjoying it tremendously. The lens is stellar. It's fast to shoot, fast to focus, the EVF is the first and only I've considered a reasonable replacement for OVF. It's tactile, like an old Nikon. It's been said before, but it's the camera Nikon SHOULD have made the Df into. And...I'm not nervous to shoot it when it starts to drizzle outside.

I'm a little surprised the X-T1 hasn't made more of a splash here on RFF. It's got a great manual focus system, which will allow me to shoot my M-mount glass.

Also, it's pretty sexy looking

(note: I've owned the X100 and the X-Pro 1 too...both had too many "cons" to be anything but specialized tools...the X-T1 seems like it'll be a good system with lots of lens variety)

Old 06-05-2014   #2
David_Manning

Test shot from yesterday...Fujifilm X-T1 and 23mm/f1.4 lens.

[IMG]Sam Relaxing by David's_silvershots, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by David_Manning : 06-05-2014 at 11:49. Reason: image size too big

Old 06-05-2014   #3
David_Manning

Color:

[IMG]Last Day of School II by David's_silvershots, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2014   #4
porktaco

I was at the camera store yesterday and got to play with the XT-1 and the Zeiss 35mm. It's a fantastic lens, with a very slick manual focus ring (just pull the focusing ring back and PRESTO it's in manual mode), and the camera is a dream to use. I really wish I had a couple grand to drop on it.

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 06-05-2014   #5
David_Manning

The XF 23/1.4 has the same system for switching to manual mode...very fast and slick.

BTW...I had my choice of the A7 or the X-T1. The A7 was clunkier-looking, less tactile, and that shutter noise! Of course, Sony is really good about camera technology, but less so about lens lineups. So, there was no question in my mind...the X cameras are becoming a mature system. I'm over the necessity of having a FF sensor to make good pictures.

Old 06-05-2014   #6
RedLion
Come to the Faire

The XT-1 is my main axe now.
Over the past few years I have owned and SOLD my: Canon 5dmk2, Canon 1Dmk3, Sony NEX 5N, Sony NEX 6, Leica M8.2, Fuji X100s.

IMO, the Fuji XT-1 is the best of the bunch (except for sports shooting which I've moved away from).

I have the 18-55 kit lens, the 23mm f1.4, the 10-24mm as well as a Nikon 50m F1.2 with Metabones speedbooster (creating a 35mm F0.85)

Here' a pic of the XT-1 with the 50mm Nikon. Pic also shows a variable neutral density filter and hood, allowing me to shoot full F1.2 aperture in full sunlight.

Here's three shots taken at F1.2 with the 50mm + Speedbooster:

The following two photos were taken with the 23mm F1.4

These final images were taken with the 10-24mm F4.

The XT-1 also does automatic panoramas!

Old 06-05-2014   #7
David_Manning

RedLion, thanks for chiming in. I'll have to look into an F-mount to XF-mount adapter, sans the metabones booster. I'm thinking about the Fuji M-mount adapter, but honestly I like the XF lenses so much I may not want to cripple the X-T1 with manual focus!

Old 06-05-2014   #8
jsrockit

It's funny, but I can't get on with my X-T1 and will be selling it. I love the X-Pro1 and the X100s, but the X-T1 actually feels too small to me. Suprisingly, I prefer the Sony A7r shape and never thought I would.

Old 06-05-2014   #9
RedLion
Come to the Faire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
RedLion, thanks for chiming in. I'll have to look into an F-mount to XF-mount adapter, sans the metabones booster. I'm thinking about the Fuji M-mount adapter, but honestly I like the XF lenses so much I may not want to cripple the X-T1 with manual focus!

YES. The Metabones is worth it only if you're looking for the most shallow DOF possible. 35mm F0.85 offers shallower DOF for an equivalent framing (equiv to 50mm F1.2 on a full-frame) than the Fuji 56mm F1.2 (equiv to an 85mm F1.8 on a full-frame).

Old 06-05-2014   #10
David_Manning

John, have you picked up an old Nikon FE/FM series lately? It's about the same...except...it has that rewind lever. It makes a nice thumb hook...

Old 06-05-2014   #11
back alley
IMAGES

i played with one a few weeks ago and really liked the feel of it…but i still would get an xe-2 if i were planning to move away from the xe-1. the xe-1/2 feel the best in my hands.
and it's hard to beat the images coming out of any of them...

Old 06-05-2014   #12
MCTuomey

well-invested in M system, glass and bodies.

M versus x-t1 files? M is superior.

but since i got the x-t1 (56 + 18-55) i haven't picked up an M

*uh-oh*

My Flickr

Old 06-05-2014   #13
YYV_146

Hmmm...when I handled those I actually thought the A7 was the more compact of the line up (body only). If memory serves the X-T1 is a hair taller sans the EVF humps, and also marginally thicker.

Personally I still prefer side-mount EVFs if I can get them. The A7 is FF so I consider the trade-off reasonable, but if I were to get another crop body, I think it'll be an X-e3 or X-pro2 with an RF-like design.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 06-05-2014   #14
Aristophanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
The XT-1 is my main axe now.
Over the past few years I have owned and SOLD my: Canon 5dmk2, Canon 1Dmk3, Sony NEX 5N, Sony NEX 6, Leica M8.2, Fuji X100s.

IMO, the Fuji XT-1 is the best of the bunch (except for sports shooting which I've moved away from).

I have the 18-55 kit lens, the 23mm f1.4, the 10-24mm as well as a Nikon 50m F1.2 with Metabones speedbooster (creating a 35mm F0.85)

Here' a pic of the XT-1 with the 50mm Nikon. Pic also shows a variable neutral density filter and hood, allowing me to shoot full F1.2 aperture in full sunlight.

What is with the artifacts on the bow of the ship and up the line above it, and on the top of the left drawbridge?

Old 06-05-2014   #15
KEH

I really love the X-T1 for manual shooting, a nice change from 'pointing and shooting.' This is with a C/Y 28mm/2.8 and Metabones speedbooster. 18th St WDC.

Kirk

Old 06-05-2014   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
John, have you picked up an old Nikon FE/FM series lately? It's about the same...except...it has that rewind lever. It makes a nice thumb hook...
No, I haven't... it's ok though. I have enough cameras so the X-T1 isn't really necessary. Of course I'm not saying there is something wrong with it... it's obviously good, just not for me.

Old 06-05-2014   #17
rbelyell

Quote:
I'm a little surprised the X-T1 hasn't made more of a splash here on RFF. It's got a great manual focus system, which will allow me to shoot my M-glass.
without making any negative judgements, there are a couple of reasons:

first, many, even many fuji fans, do not like the xtrans sensor rendering.
second, many who like xtrans would rather have the hybrid finder and/or the size of the xpro1.

personally, i like the split screen focus of the xt and hope it will spread and be improved upon--itd be great if it could be incorporated into fujis ovf. but i personally discount the xt because i dont like the xtrans rendering.

Old 06-05-2014   #18
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

If I could trade up from my X Pro, I would; the X-T1 seems like a dandy.

Old 06-05-2014   #19
willie_901

The XT-1 is the first digital camera I've owned where focusing with the lens collar is enjoyable (obviously I never owned a M-8/9/240 or RD-1). The EVF performance and dual-screen display makes a difference.

Using XF lenses specifically designed for its sensor area means I don't miss the larger sensor area of the D700s and Nikkor lenses I sold off.

I like the XTrans rendering compared to the Nikon D200/300/700 and m4/3 cameras I've used. ACR and other raw platforms have come a long way since the first XTrams cameras appeared on the scene.

To be complete, the m4/3 I owned was a second generation camera. I'm sure the current m4/3 technology much better. It doesn't matter to me because I don't like the lenses or the 4X3 format.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 06-05-2014   #20
jsrockit

I can see how the X-T1 would be great for MF.

Old 06-05-2014   #21
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogberryjr View Post
If I could trade up from my X Pro, I would; the X-T1 seems like a dandy.
I'm not invested in the Fujifilm digital line-up at all, but if I were it would be the X Pro-1 or the X100(s) as I just can't get along with an EVF. I've tried the XT-1 in the shop and can really see the appeal - but good though it is, as such things go, I still can't stomach the EVF. My fault, not the camera's. In some ways I wish I could get on with it, as the examples shown here, and that I've seen elsewhere, show it takes very good photographs.

I guess I'll just stick with RF and SLR cameras (which is hardly a burden) for now...

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 06-05-2014   #22
RedLion
Come to the Faire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
What is with the artifacts on the bow of the ship and up the line above it, and on the top of the left drawbridge?
I uploaded these to Facebook (where the images are hosted), so it's their jpeg compression that they do to uploaded files.

Old 06-05-2014   #23
SausalitoDog

David-

Couldn't agree more on the XT1...but I still don't use it as much as I use m x100s.

That said, the 23mm and the 56mm are two of the best lenses I've ever used and I love them. I'm still just finding it tough to give up the size advantage I see in the x100s...it's the camera that is (almost) always in my pocket :-)

Tom

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt