Leica Manual
Old 08-18-2013   #1
Ed Bray
Registered User
 
Ed Bray is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Leica Manual

Hi,

Would anyone know if there is a copy of the Leica Manual Available that predates digital but includes M6 TTL and later film cameras?

I can find a 15th Edition dated 1973 but the only ones after that are modern reprints of a earlier edition.

I am curious as I am looking to purchase my first M Series Leica and I want it for shooting not collecting, but as they are quite an expensive purchase I want to get it right first time.

TIA
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013   #2
greyelm
Malcolm
 
greyelm's Avatar
 
greyelm is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,361
Try here

http://www.forloren.dk/lbf/LeicaM6manual.htm
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013   #3
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq
 
philipus's Avatar
 
philipus is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: '(,,,,)l
Posts: 1,034
I believe Ed is referring to the Leica Manual by Morgan & Lester.

Edit: I haven't seen any later editions of it but don't doubt there are. There are other books though if you want to study the M system, like Osterloh's "Leica M. The Advanced School of Photography." And there's lots on the internet. Cameraquest and the Leica User Forum's Wiki are very good places to start. The Wiki has plenty of links to further reading under each M model. And then you can of course also ask questions here or at other fora, too.

Cheers
Philip
__________________
philipus.com

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013   #4
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
Hi,

Would anyone know if there is a copy of the Leica Manual Available that predates digital but includes M6 TTL and later film cameras?

I can find a 15th Edition dated 1973 but the only ones after that are modern reprints of a earlier edition.

I am curious as I am looking to purchase my first M Series Leica and I want it for shooting not collecting, but as they are quite an expensive purchase I want to get it right first time.

TIA
You might also find "Leicaphilia" interesting:http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...icaphilia.html

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013   #5
Ed Bray
Registered User
 
Ed Bray is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Thanks all, I'll do dome more googling.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013   #6
Ed Bray
Registered User
 
Ed Bray is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
You might also find "Leicaphilia" interesting:http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...icaphilia.html

Cheers,

R.
Very interesting Roger, the last sentence on the page could do with a little explaining though:

If you can handle all these caveats, try one. Either you'll like it, or you won't. But be warned: if you do, you'll probably like it quite a lot, and won't be happy until you have one. Or two.

In this modern era of few proper Camera shops and bearing in mind I live in the SW (Plymouth) there are not a lot of Leicas around to try out. I am drawn towards an M4 derivative but I suppose unless I can get to a Leica dealer I will not be able to try out the varieties and thus determine what I would actually prefer to own.

Eddie.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013   #7
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
Very interesting Roger, the last sentence on the page could do with a little explaining though:

If you can handle all these caveats, try one. Either you'll like it, or you won't. But be warned: if you do, you'll probably like it quite a lot, and won't be happy until you have one. Or two.

In this modern era of few proper Camera shops and bearing in mind I live in the SW (Plymouth) there are not a lot of Leicas around to try out. I am drawn towards an M4 derivative but I suppose unless I can get to a Leica dealer I will not be able to try out the varieties and thus determine what I would actually prefer to own.

Eddie.
Dear Eddie,

Turris fortissima est nomen Jehovah! I spent over half my life to the age of 20 in Plymouth (you can guess that my father was in the navy). Is there no longer an LCE at Frankfurt Gate?

No, the chances of trying 'em all are negligible outside Lunnun and a few other places with good camera stores. Then again, I'd say that you need to be guided more by condition and price than by model, and you also need to think whether you want a meter or not. The meter is so personal that I hesitate to give any advice. Put it this way: until the MP came out, I was OK with my 'rat' M4-P and my M2s (I had two), and didn't want an M6.

Cheers,

R
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013   #8
Ed Bray
Registered User
 
Ed Bray is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Eddie,

Turris fortissima est nomen Jehovah! I spent over half my life to the age of 20 in Plymouth (you can guess that my father was in the navy). Is there no longer an LCE at Frankfurt Gate?

No, the chances of trying 'em all are negligible outside Lunnun and a few other places with good camera stores. Then again, I'd say that you need to be guided more by condition and price than by model, and you also need to think whether you want a meter or not. The meter is so personal that I hesitate to give any advice. Put it this way: until the MP came out, I was OK with my 'rat' M4-P and my M2s (I had two), and didn't want an M6.

Cheers,

R
Hi Roger, thanks for the prompt reply, to be honest, I had completely forgotten about LCE, yes it is still there, not a particular favourite of mine though, Mifsuds is the closest 'proper' Camera shop, I see they have a M6 but have been looking at a few M4s on ebay from German/Austrian sellers in what looks like quite good condition.

I am quite drawn to the original M4, not too bothered about a meter, the only Camera I now own and use which has a meter is my 'snappy' Fuji X10, my 5x7 Canham, Yashica 124G, both GW & GSW are all I really use now and with them I use either a spotmeter (I have 2) or incident meter (again have 2) or use Sunny 16 as a basis for guestimating, I do also have a Pentax SLR outfit but haven't used it for about 18 months now and haven't got much pleasure from using it for quite a while.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:24.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.