Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Pentax MX winder
Old 04-06-2011   #1
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Pentax MX winder

Anyone here either a current or ex-Pentax film camera user who can enlighten me, and perhaps give me some insight?
I was given a ton of Pentax k-mount gear including two bodies, winder and about five or six lenses.
Beautiful gear, and the lenses focus and aperture adjust in the same direction as my Nikons, which makes them handy to use, if I decide to keep and use the kit.
My problem concerns an MX winder (not motor drive) for an MX body.
When it is turned on, it runs continuously except when the trigger button on the winder handle is depressed, which is when it stops.
Some research on the internet indicated that sometimes a couple of wires inside the winder were accidently reversed, causing a ground wire to be soldered in the wrong place, resulting in the problem I described.
I partially dismantled the drive expecting to find three wires, which I could fool about with until they were wired properly, but no such luck. There is a forest of thin wires inside and while I'm mechanically adept, my knowledge of electrical circuitry is non-existant.
Has anyone ever had a similar problem, and if so can they give me some guidance, or at least steer me to a source (or even better a circuit diagram) that may help me get this thing running?
Please and thank you.

Last edited by rbsinto : 04-06-2011 at 08:35.

Old 04-06-2011   #2
Lancaster
-

Hi,
I had an MX with the winder, I think this might be normal with the winder off the body.
Is this the case? If so then try it again when fitted to the body.

Old 04-06-2011   #3
Zathros
Does not play well with o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
Hi,
I had an MX with the winder, I think this might be normal with the winder off the body.
Is this the case? If so then try it again when fitted to the body.
This is what I have experienced as well. It should work properly when reattached to the body.

Old 04-06-2011   #4
rbsinto

Nope. The problems described occur when the winder is attached.

Old 08-30-2011   #5
PollitowuzHere
street shooter

Reviving an old thread, I'm currently having the same problem. Winder doesn't work when atttached to the camera, off the camera also doesn't move. It makes a whirring noise when I turn it on and continues whirring until I use the trigger button in the winder. Any help?
Canonet QL17

Old 08-30-2011   #6
FrankS

Sorry can't help, but wonder if the OP found a solution that would help you.

photography makes me happy

Old 08-31-2011   #7
rbsinto

Some research revealed that if a couple of wires were improperly reversed, the motor would act as I described. And amazingly enough, it seems to have been a common occurrance when the winders were made.
I took mine apart but the interior has a forest of wires and I simply didn't even know where to begin.
Essentially, now I'm not going to worry about it. I'll probably sell all the Pentax gear and if I don't, then I'll try to get a cheapwinder from ebay or KEH.