Film sticking/kinks on loading
Old 08-08-2011   #1
PollitowuzHere
street shooter

Film sticking/kinks on loading

Loading LegacyPro 400, it seems that it always sticks/kinks on the reel while I'm loading it. This usually happens towards the end of the roll, around frame 30-33. I usually take my time loading, but I've figured that by the last frames, I've taken to having to hold the last bit of film with my mouth to keep it straight, only way that it loads without sticking. Any help?
Canonet QL17

Old 08-08-2011   #2
Livesteamer

It helps to know if it's a plastic or stainless reel. Both types of reel need to be clean and hands, film and reel need to be very dry. Humidity causes lots of problems. Good Luck, Joe

Old 08-08-2011   #3
PollitowuzHere
street shooter

Plastic reel, you're probably correct on the humidity part, it's usually 70-80% around here.
Canonet QL17

Old 08-08-2011   #4
Gereonb
Gereonb

It helps greatly to round off the corners of the film when you cut off the end, square corners like to catch on the reel which hinders loading.
Yashica Electro 35GT, Chinon 35EE, Taron Auto EE, Canonet QL17-L, Canon PowerShot G9, Bessa-R, Olympus Trip 35, #1 Black Pentax S1a, #2 Black Pentax S1a, Silver Pentax S1a, Silver Pentax SV, Pentax K1000 and so on ...

Old 08-08-2011   #5
Chris101
summicronia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollitowuzHere View Post
... This usually happens towards the end of the roll, around frame 30-33. ...
Use 24 frame rolls.

Old 08-08-2011   #6
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
Use 24 frame rolls.
see, there is always an easy solution....

Do not know if this will help. Had same problem with ERA, even on a dry plastic reel ,
I knew it was dry because the reel sat on a oil heater before use.
I used to fold about 5 mm of the leading edge over, run fingernail along fold to ensure the fold was good and this particular film was much easier to get on, maybe sometimes a couple of frames did not go in so i just wrapped them around the outside of the reel..no problems.
regards
CW

Old 08-08-2011   #7
pbo

Sometimes when film gets stuck, try reeling back a little then trying again - if it's possible with your reels (possible with Jobo reels, might be harder with reels that have ball bearings in them).

Old 08-08-2011   #8
ChrisP
Grain Lover

Just move to a Hewes Stainless Steel Reels. Practice with a roll of film for a day while you watch and you'll never look back. Doesn't matter if it wet, humid, cold, blizzarding or if you live in a cave and you don't know what the weather outside is.

Old 08-09-2011   #9
Chris101
summicronia

I keep hearing that Hewes reels are the best thing since film itself. I've never used them, but I can proficiently load any film onto the appropriate sized stainless reel as long as it does not have a spring clip in the center. Are the two little sprocket hole hooks the only difference in Hewes reels?

Old 08-09-2011   #10
tj01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
I keep hearing that Hewes reels are the best thing since film itself. I've never used them, but I can proficiently load any film onto the appropriate sized stainless reel as long as it does not have a spring clip in the center. Are the two little sprocket hole hooks the only difference in Hewes reels?
No , it comes in third after sliced bread and TriX. The hooks and better build.

Old 08-09-2011   #11
ChrisP
Grain Lover

TriX? Does anyone use that anymore? All I know about it is its inferior to hp5+....

Anyways never used any other SS reels but the Hewes ones I do have are fantastic and very easy to load. They're 25 a peice but I can't see myself ever needing to replace them so they seem like a decent investment.

Old 08-09-2011   #12
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Hewes... Hooks for the sproket holes and better build. Hewes are great.

Sticking and buckling... Humidity. Gets sticky even with SS reels. Find a way to load the film in low humidity. Maybe even take the dark changing bag, tank, and film somewhere with air conditioning. I know this might be hard in some parts of the world.

Old 08-09-2011   #13
HLing

Another vote for Hewes - brilliantly designed, reliable to a fault, so that I know the problem if any is on my end, and i can fix it. If it were a man I'd marry him.

That said, even when using Hewes frames 30-33 is usually where one thinks it's near the end and therefore stop or do less of the threading motion where previously the two wrists kiss at the bottom of the palm as the top section of the hands go away from each other. Assuming you're right handed, it will help to keep the slight downward wrist motion to guide the hugging of the film unto the curve.