Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

"Aperture" for mac
Old 11-01-2005   #1
Rocamadour
cronopio

"Aperture" for mac

Just wanted to know if anyone have tried (or uses regulary) the knew "Aperture" for mac? (Designed for Professional Photographers... )

Does it accept the RAW-files from the R-D1, how is the workflow, etc.?

I'm sur its not bad, but is it good enough?

Old 11-01-2005   #2
Warren G

Apples New Photo Image management software ' Aperture' is not yet available.

I beleive that it will be available in 2-3 weeks time at a cost of £350 ( approx)

The product has a raw file converter similar to the one in Adobe Photoshop CS2 and will take DNG ( Digital negative ) file format. It will also take other file formats as well. It does so much more though than just convert raw data, it also allow you full picture selection,database retrival and archiving.

I strongly beleive that this software will have a huge impact on the professional photographic market. There are 5 quicktime movies on Apples website that demo the software very well.

Best,

W

Old 11-01-2005   #3
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocamadour
Does it accept the RAW-files from the R-D1, how is the workflow, etc.?
Nobody knows yet whether or not the final release product (which isn't available yet) will accept files in the R-D 1's raw format.

The R-D 1 does not appear on the list of cameras for which Aperture offers "enhanced" support, but neither do various other cameras the raw files of which are simply listed as "supported."

Old 11-01-2005   #4
photodog

You should not consider Aperture unless you own or intend to buy a G5 computer. Aperture will not work on a PC or a G4.

Old 11-01-2005   #5
ulrik

Works on 15" and 17" powerbooks 1.25mhz and above.

Old 11-01-2005   #6
kaiyen
local man of mystery

If they're recommending at least a 1.8GHz iMac G5, I would think any powerbook is going to chug at least a bit on aperture. but if it runs, it runs.

I am even considering buying a mac just to run it.

allan

Old 11-01-2005   #7
brightsky

If anyone decides to pre-order Aperture, Amazon has it listed for $449

CM

Old 11-02-2005   #8
mfs

I saw the demo at the Photo Expo in New York. It was very impressive. The concept is that all of the manipulations are made to the RAW file. The original file is never altered so that it is always available if the workflow needs revision.

There is a fast interconnection to PS so any manipulations not supported by Aperture can be easily performed in PS, and then the file can be brought back into Aperture with just one click of the mouse.

The only downside is the need for a G5 based desktop, or a fast G4 laptop with at least 1 Gbyte of fast memory.

Martin

Old 11-02-2005   #9
iUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
Nobody knows yet whether or not the final release product (which isn't available yet) will accept files in the R-D 1's raw format.

The R-D 1 does not appear on the list of cameras for which Aperture offers "enhanced" support, but neither do various other cameras the raw files of which are simply listed as "supported."
As far as I know EPSON USA and Apple have a great working relationship so Iím sure the R-D1 will be added.

Old 11-02-2005   #10
Marc

Beware of "The MAC" influence. I wasn't paying enough attention about four years ago and was sucked into the Apple world by their (Apple's) ability to turn everyday tasks into something fun to do. Your wired life will become much more easy and enjoyable. You just might find yourself smiling as you wile away the hours in front of your Mac, instead of cursing your Wintel "Blue Screen of Death". Not exactly on topic, but as an extremely happy Apple user and a VERY happy Apple stock holder, I felt the need to share............yes, it was a lousy pun.

Old 11-02-2005   #11
ulrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyen
If they're recommending at least a 1.8GHz iMac G5, I would think any powerbook is going to chug at least a bit on aperture. but if it runs, it runs.

I am even considering buying a mac just to run it.

allan
Apeture runs on Core Graphics, it's not just processor power. I can't wait.

Old 11-02-2005   #12

Aperture is only $249 with an Apple Education Discount http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...plm=MA155Z%2FA

Old 11-02-2005   #13
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I get apple's student prices, so if anyone is intersted in the discount, you can get it through me.
i am interested in getting it as well. i run a 17" g4 powerbook @ 1.5ghz and it should run. BUT! i have my eye on a G5.

if anyone wants the discount when it's out. email me.

agphotography at gmail.com

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 11-03-2005   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by agphotography
I get apple's student prices, so if anyone is intersted in the discount, you can get it through me.
i am interested in getting it as well. i run a 17" g4 powerbook @ 1.5ghz and it should run. BUT! i have my eye on a G5.

if anyone wants the discount when it's out. email me.

agphotography at gmail.com
All student discounts on software have to be done online and when you use the student discount online they don't verify if you're a valid student, so anyone can use the discount. Go to the Apple Store then click on the Education link on the right column, then the College or university student link then search for college near your area.

Before my wife graduated college I would do all of her student purchases for her online and they never verified if she or I was a student.

Old 11-04-2005   #15
DanK

Be careful with that though. I know with FCP it was a standalone. You couldn' t upgrade the student version later.

Old 11-04-2005   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK
Be careful with that though. I know with FCP it was a standalone. You couldn' t upgrade the student version later.
That's weird because I bought FCP years ago and have always been able to upgrade. hmmm...

Old 11-10-2005   #17
Donald Mann

Does Aperture handle jpegs? I get the impression that it only accepts RAW input?

Old 11-22-2005   #18
wiley_hodges

I'm using Aperture and I own an R-D1. I'm sorry to say that there is no RAW support for the R-D1 in Aperture as yet. It is working well w/ my Canon DSLRs , though...

Aperture reads JPEGs, single-layer PSD files as well as the TIFFs that the Epson RAW converter spits out, so I still use it with files from the R-D1, just not the ERFs.

--Wiley

Old 11-22-2005   #19
ulrik

You can convert the .ERF to .DNG to make Apeture read the files ... but it still only reads the .jpg inside the .DNG. No use as .ERF converter yet, even if converted to .DNG first.

Last edited by ulrik : 12-04-2005 at 10:30.