Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Friedlander at MoMA: Only 4 more days !
Old 08-25-2005   #1
Gerold
Mittagspausenkünstler

Friedlander at MoMA: Only 4 more days !

If you have a slot to make it to the MoMA before or on the 29th of August ... GO ! I found the exhibition fantastic. Nothing could describe the gist of it better than the words in the official exhibit brochure: "They're all about pleasure: the pleasure of looking, of tromping around in the world, of other people - and of course the pleasures of photography itself, which are just as simple and complicated as all the others." Pleasure, simple and complicated - that's exactly what I experienced today. Reviewing Friedlander's fantastic panorama of work - it was pure pleasure. Surprise. Amazement. Fun. Insight. Comprehension. The strong hunch that in certain situations Friedlander seems to see similar things as I do - but, then manages to make a great photo on the spot ... what I actually never manage to do. If you like street photography, if you are in pursuit of understanding Lee Friedlander's and your own photography better, then make your way to the 6th floor of MoMA. And if you go, bring a plenty big rucksack. The catalogue is really fat and weighs a ton. And make sure you have two or three hours. It's not just the photos. It's also the best part of his books which are on display.

Is this on topic? Yes. Friedlander did (and does) a significant part of his work with a ... Leica.

Anybody else been there? Keen to hear from others what they encountered in this exhibition, which in my view is of extraordinary quality.

And: Be thrilled fellow Europeans, the exhibition will be at Haus der Kunst in München from 16 Nov to 12 Feb.

Best, Gerold

Old 08-25-2005   #2
aizan

i got the catalogue and it's awesome. wish the show'd come to la,

Old 08-25-2005   #3
back alley
IMAGES

just don't go on a tuesday!

Old 08-26-2005   #4
DanK

Im going this Sunday
anyone else?

Old 08-26-2005   #5
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

If I lived in NYC, I'd have been there and back again. I have the book from the show, and enjoy it immensely. I'd love to see the show and hope it makes it to the SF MOMA.
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 08-26-2005   #6
erudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPA
...snip...I'd love to see the show and hope it makes it to the SF MOMA.
Me too, Ray, but I don't think it's coming....

Ed