Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 06-16-2009   #401
Timmy P

True, but remember that the screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight. Something that is cured by a viewfinder or EVF. While the 17 f2.8 has an external finder, you still have to switch back & worth between the LCD & the finder to check settings. Seems like a PITA.

This problem could be cured by having a distance scale on the lens to set hyper focal, however this can't be accomplished since there is no distance scale. This is a bit of a pet peeve with ALL of these types of lenses now days though. It's really pretty poor when they leave them off, it isn't that hard to paint them on. Nikon, Canon etc all do it. Stop please! Then again the DOF at 17mm should be quite adequate anyway. But it's still frustrating.

I was just hoping for some form of a Contax g2 like camera. The Finder was a bit crappy, but it was there. I'm hoping either Panasonic or Oly will eventually release one. Or at least for Oly to shrink that damm external flash. That thing looks huge! The g'2s was a much nicer size.

Again, I think both Panasonic & Oly have shown off the capabilities of m4/3 but neither have really touched base on everything. It'll be interesting to see if Panasonics rumoured compact body resembles a RF or their Lx3 line. Eitherway I suspect their LCD/viewfinder implementation will be superior to Oly because they have their video camera skills behind them.

For everyones information, the 17 f2.8 is 40,000 Yen, which is the same price as the oly 25 f2.8. Nice. How ever due to the stronger yen I think it'll sell a little higher than the 25 f2.8 does. Might scoop up both if I can ever find that damm 4/3 to M4/3 adapter that panasonic makes. Haven't seen it anywhere in Australia.

Old 06-16-2009   #402
Pickett Wilson

Bigger than I expected. Not really poketable (except a coat pocket). Maybe hoping to sell the camera as "cool" as much as for a user? Probably not bad marketing. The low resolution LCD is a concern if you want to use adapted manual lenses - focusing the lenses could be a bear.

I think the make or break is going to hinge on image quality and af performance with it purpose made lenses. Styling is just styling.

Old 06-16-2009   #403
Colman

Quote:
I think the make or break is going to hinge on image quality and af performance with it purpose made lenses. Styling is just styling.
Yup. Still looks like the 17mm kit might be a good solution for a digital adjunct to a film RF and a couple of lenses. 35/2.8 equiv with the kit, 30/4.5 equiv (not much point to that), 80/1.4 equiv, 150/2.5 equiv sounds like a nice set, especially if the noise at 1600 or 3200 is acceptable. I'm assuming 6400 won't be usable for me. The top rating never is.

Depends how well manual focus works, really.

Last edited by Colman : 06-16-2009 at 02:38.

Old 06-16-2009   #404
rover

The only thing that bummed me out was the slower than expected AF. Everything else looks like a go for me..... after I read some real reviews.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #405
rover

Bite me!!!! Amazon has the flash listed for $200!!!!!! What does that thing do, other than not bounce?

There has to be a better option for half that price somewhere.

rover's world at flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #406
bmattock

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...w.asp?from=rss

Quote:
The E-P1 has undoubtedly created quite a stir as the first genuinely compact interchangeable-lens digital camera, but what does Olympus have up its sleeve for Micro Four Thirds in the future? We caught up with Akira Watanabe, product planning manager of Olympus's SLR division at the E-P1 launch event in Berlin, and asked him about the company's plans for the system.

Old 06-16-2009   #407
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Ralph, when do you use a flash -- really?

The LCD resolution is a question mark for me since I want to use my OM and other MF lenses on it. It would need to have the focus magnification like the G1.

BTW, boys and girls, OM and M mount lenses have distance markings.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 06-16-2009   #408
gavinlg

I am personally not disappointed at all - it's everything I was hoping for - gorgeous, totally functional, big camera quality in a small camera, purist and focussed (no crappy inbuilt flash or crappy straw finder ie canon g10), innovative, 2 control dials - one of which has firm quality detents for adjustment, the same features as the e-30, multi aspect ratios, pancake lens for kit, external VF, awesome ISO performance considering compact competition and even good against other sub $1500 dslrs.

The AF performance, if at first slow, will be continually upgraded through firmware - they've done this with the E-3 which had problems at first but is now quite good.

Old 06-16-2009   #409
monkeypainter

How do you use MF lenses combined with a lifeview screen? Focusing with extended arms doesn't seem very comfortable...

My tumblr
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #410
bennyng
Benny Ng

Nice! I think it'll be fun to see a M mount converted Canon 50mm f/0.95 on the new digital pen! I wonder if you can still see the camera...

Cheers,

Old 06-16-2009   #411
rover

I want to see it side by side with a G1.

rover's world at flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #412
Terao
Kiloran

Side-by-side with an LX3:

Tiny!

Bodies:
Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS, Nikon 85mm f/1.4

My Flickr gallery

Old 06-16-2009   #413
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Fred: what pocket camera has a large sensor? Where is the design spec that states pocket size was a goal?

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 06-16-2009   #414
Pickett Wilson

Trius, it wasn't a goal, but if you have to hang it off your shoulder, what's the real advantage?

Old 06-16-2009   #415
Sam N

I put together a little comparison between the E-P1, some other m43 cameras, and some other competitors:
http://lensist.blogspot.com/2009/06/...-mightier.html

Hope it's helpful to someone.

Old 06-16-2009   #416
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

"As I have noted many times on this forum, for me personally the Nikon F, and Nikon SP were the last "human" Japanese designs,"

The OM 1 was the last "human" Japanese design.
albeit , humans with tiny hands.

This digital Pen is bit of a let down, but the good news is that it might spawn a whole series with the features people really want, just like the old Oly Pen.

Old 06-16-2009   #417
dazedgonebye

Looks pretty exciting to me. Closest thing to the Digital Hexar AF I've always wanted. With Panasonic's 20mm f1.7 on, and assuming no focusing issues, I think we're there.
Thankfuly(?) I won't have money for anything like this for some months. That'll give time for things to settle down and maybe even for pany to come out with a rumored smaller m43rds.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 06-16-2009   #418
dazedgonebye

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09...einterview.asp

The E-P1 will be the first of a range of Micro Four Thirds cameras from Olympus, says Mr Watanabe. Electronic viewfinders and more lenses (which could include more pancake primes) will be developed, he said, as he spoke to us about the company's plans and ambitions for Micro Four Thirds.

"We are now preparing for a future product with an EVF. But for this product [E-P1] we were concentrating on small size," he said. This, he explained, was because of how the company sees the market for Micro Four Thirds: "The idea of removing the mirror and shortening the distance back to the sensor dates back to 2002/01. The E-420 is the smallest DSLR in the world, it has good penetration into the young and the step-up [from compact camera] categories. We know that more than 20% of compact camera customers have thought about buying a DSLR but are put off by the size, weight and complicated operation."

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 06-16-2009   #419
morgan

The 1600 ISO shots on dpreview looks pretty good re: noise. Not spectacular, but certainly more than usable, and for the price pretty good. I'd like to see some side by sides with dslrs that cost about the same...

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #420
PollitowuzHere
street shooter

Smart advertising from Olympus for this camera, using the "Will It Blend?" videos in Youtube. If this camera is being aimed at the P&S crowd, which it looks like it will, then having those silly ads in Youtube help.

Will It Blend video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWv21EgRZU&NR=1

Old 06-16-2009   #421
morgan

Actually, I missed this shot at ISO 6400. Pretty impressive. I'd like to see some raw files to mess with.
http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/ol...s/p1015293.jpg

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #422
Traut

This is not the camera I wanted it to be.

My quandry is I don't know when I would grab the Olympus. As a keep with you camera the lack of flash would have me take a P&S, LX3 or G9 du to lack of flash for interior shots.

If I need to take a bag with a body, flash, 2 lenses, etc. I would take the G1 or D60 or a full DSLR.

If I'm hiking and want a small system for landscapes, wildlife, etc the lack of EVF or Pentaprism would have me choose another camera system becasue framing and focusing in sunlight is a bitch with an LCD's glare.

All this is assuming this is not your only system, etc. as it would be for most interested in spending $1,000 plus on another camera.

IIf, IIIg, M2, M3,M6 TTL, Rollei 2.8F, G1, G2, F100, F3, F5, D2x, 903SW, etc., etc. <a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1413'>My Gallery</a>

Last edited by Traut : 06-16-2009 at 06:52.

Old 06-16-2009   #423
nightfly

No flash is great for me. Nothing to turn off.

EP-1 with both lenses would be perfect, the 17 for street/walking around daily and the short zoom for travel.

I know I saw some all black bodies in the preview photos. When that comes out, I'm all over it. Likely would never but another lens on besides those two. My Leica lives with either a 35 or a 28. Might buy a 50 one day but 14-42 covers all my bases.

Old 06-16-2009   #424
.ken
I like pictures

so are we going to see G1's pop up in the for sale section? :-)

Old 06-16-2009   #425
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traut View Post
This is not the camera I wanted it to be.

My quandry is i don't know when i would grab the Olympus. As a keep with you camera the lack of flash would have me take a P&S, LX3 or G9 du to lack of flash for interior shots.

If I need to take a bag with a body, flash, 2 lenses, etc. I would take the G1 or D60 or a full DSLR.

If I'm hiking and want a small system for landscapes, wildlife, etc the lack of EVF or Pentaprism would have me choose another camera system becasue framing and focusing in sunlight is a bitch with an LCD's glare.

All this is assuming this is not your only system, etc. as it would be for most interested in spending $1,000 plus on another camera.
Really good points around practical usability for people with existing cameras. And I'm in the same boat as you. I want something small - small enough to just shove in a pocket or backpack. I've been thinking LX3. But that side by side shot dpreview shows them to be almost the same size. I think the E-P1 could occupy a strange marketing space - p&s people still might want (or need) a smaller p&s with a flash, and it might not be self-contained enough to work as a smaller, second camera for the dslr crowd. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

But I love the design of the E-P1, and the idea of using my m-mount (and other) lenses and the option for zooms and AF is great. Would I choose it over my R-D1? I don't know. OTOH, my wife wants a dslr that's not big and heavy, she loved the white one when i showed her the pics yesterday, and I'd have the option to poach it.

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #426
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Really good points around practical usability for people with existing cameras. And I'm in the same boat as you. I want something small - small enough to just shove in a pocket or backpack. I've been thinking LX3. But that side by side shot dpreview shows them to be almost the same size. I think the E-P1 could occupy a strange marketing space - p&s people still might want (or need) a smaller p&s with a flash, and it might not be self-contained enough to work as a smaller, second camera for the dslr crowd. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

But I love the design of the E-P1, and the idea of using my m-mount (and other) lenses and the option for zooms and AF is great. Would I choose it over my R-D1? I don't know. OTOH, my wife wants a dslr that's not big and heavy, she loved the white one when i showed her the pics yesterday, and I'd have the option to poach it.
One fast prime is all I'd want with this camera. Of course, that sort of takes some of the advantage over the LX-3 away. The LX-3 then brings a flash and smaller body to the table. The E-P1 does a lot to trump all that with the much larger sensor...at about 2wice the price.

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 06-16-2009   #427
Pickett Wilson

I'd like to see what 6400 looks like shot in low light. That would tell the tale.

Old 06-16-2009   #428
sevres_babylone

Before getting too excited about the E-P1/35mm equivalent 2.8 combo, just remember that a 35mm 2.8 Stylus Epic cost $79.

Old 06-16-2009   #429
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett Wilson View Post
I'd like to see what 6400 looks like shot in low light. That would tell the tale.
Amazing how far we've come in the last few years where 6400iso is the question.

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 06-16-2009   #430
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett Wilson View Post
Yeah, the dpreview has some 6400 samples, but they're shot at smaller apertures (one is f7), so it's tough to tell. One shot looks pretty damn good, the other less so.

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #431
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
One fast prime is all I'd want with this camera. Of course, that sort of takes some of the advantage over the LX-3 away. The LX-3 then brings a flash and smaller body to the table. The E-P1 does a lot to trump all that with the much larger sensor...at about 2wice the price.
You know what's funny, I just looked on amazon at LX3 prices, they're going for around $600 (some at $639 even). I don't know. For that much, I think it might be worth the extra dough for the E-P1, given the bigger sensor and interchangeable lenses. Ultimate cost of ownership would be more (I'd definitely buy more lenses), but you'd perhaps get better images out of the e-p1. I guess though, I could be buying better lenses for my m-mounts (like the 50/1.1) instead of the pana 7-14 for the e-p1. I'd end up having a nervous breakdown on which system to buy for :-)

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #432
morgan

dpreview now has a gallery of images taken with the 17/2.8. Looks pretty nice, for the price.
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympusep1_preview3/

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #433
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

I'd really like to see one these compared to the CL or an M8.

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 06-16-2009   #434
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
dpreview now has a gallery of images taken with the 17/2.8. Looks pretty nice, for the price.
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympusep1_preview3/
I never get the dpreview gallery of "test images."

Almost all of them shows infinite DoF, bright sunshine, and small aperture. Which modern lens won't render sharp picture in that kind of situation?

Old 06-16-2009   #435
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post
Before getting too excited about the E-P1/35mm equivalent 2.8 combo, just remember that a 35mm 2.8 Stylus Epic cost $79.
And remains a great little camera, though somewhat inflexible. Mind you, I'd probably be more inclined to a Digital Stylus than a Digital Pen (preferring an integrated optical viewfinder to interchangable lenses for how I'd use such a camera).

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 06-16-2009   #436
morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
I never get the dpreview gallery of "test images."

Almost all of them shows infinite DoF, bright sunshine, and small aperture. Which modern lens won't render sharp picture in that kind of situation?
I agree. It looks like they shot on auto or something. But I don't think it's necessarily a lens test, it's more just a preview of the kit. If it were me, I probably would have shot all at 2.8 at high isos :-)

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-16-2009   #437
George S.
How many is enough?

Quote:
You know what's funny, I just looked on amazon at LX3 prices, they're going for around $600 (some at $639 even). I don't know. For that much, I think it might be worth the extra dough for the E-P1, given the bigger sensor and interchangeable lenses....
There's one internet store selling new LX-3- silver and black versions at $419! Now THAT would be a tough call if the LX-3 wasn't such an ugly brick compared to the Oly PEN.

I think I'll just wait for one of the geeksters here who JUST HAVE TO buy everything new that comes down the pike get it out of their system and then buy the PEN from them for $450 in a month or two...

Last edited by George S. : 06-16-2009 at 09:10.

Old 06-16-2009   #438
Y.B.hudson III

yehh... sample images lack micro-contast...smearsd texture...can't see t' skin pores...never got that wif t' old GRD...what else can you Xpect from Oly...

Old 06-16-2009   #439
Larky

I like the look of the Pen, but I've started thinking about how these cameras will look in 40 years. Not as good as the original I bet. They wont work in 40 years obviously, but shelves still need stuff.

Old 06-16-2009   #440
dcsang
Canadian & Not A Dentist

I'm curious, maybe I missed it somewhere - I have been scouring DPreview for the info but can't seem to find it - what's the MSRP for the new Pen and 17mm lens?

Curious,
dave

I have an idea what I'm looking for but it only becomes real once I see it - Constantine Manos

ITS THE MAGIC I SEE IN THE Light, Texture, & Tone
that Intoxicates Me - Helen Hill

My Flickr - it's where I post my RF and P&S shtuff