ORWO N75 - new update to N74+
Old 09-24-2019   #1
dourbalistar

ORWO N75 - new update to N74+

Guy Pinhas, Valdas, and CharlesDAMorgan found that ORWO has a new update to their N74+ film, which is now discontinued. N75 is the new version, and has an additional anti-halation undercoat (AHU), and a ISO 320 speed.

I think Guy and Valdas both have some on order from FilmoTec. Please feel free to share image samples and experiences with the new N75 here!

flickr

Old 09-24-2019   #2
Guy Pinhas

I actually got a 400ft bulk of N74 so count me out. That said, I am going to load it soon and see what gives. Will post in the appropriate thread.

Old 09-24-2019   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

No idea of arrival date from Germany, but we'll see!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 09-24-2019   #4
valdas

I plan to shoot some N75 this weekend (if it arrives on time), so I might be sharing my first results next week.

Old 09-25-2019   #5
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Pinhas View Post
I actually got a 400ft bulk of N74 so count me out. That said, I am going to load it soon and see what gives. Will post in the appropriate thread.
400 feet is a lot of N74! I'm near the end of my first 100-foot bulk roll. Look forward to see your images in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
No idea of arrival date from Germany, but we'll see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
I plan to shoot some N75 this weekend (if it arrives on time), so I might be sharing my first results next week.
Charles and Valdas, happy shooting and let us know how you get along with the new N75!

p.s. Somebody, anybody, should try to shoot some ORWO N75 in a Nikon N75.

flickr

Old 09-26-2019   #6
valdas

Well, it is funny, it's still iso 400 on the box...

Old 09-26-2019   #7
CharlesDAMorgan

So it's printed on, so can't be some labelling hangover from the last cans. How funny!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 09-26-2019   #8
dourbalistar

Interesting, thanks, Valdas! The Technical Information datasheet that Guy sent me specifically notes ISO 320:

Quote:
Exposure index: ISO 320 / 26 - The speed value refers to a developed N75 average gradient of 0.65. The exact exposure index depends on the prevailing shooting and processing conditions. Special feature of light meters, shooting conditions, planned artistic effects and deliberate processing changes are to be taken into account in setting the lens aperture. Rehearsal screen tests are recommended.
I guess it's time for rehearsal screen tests by our forum members here! Or maybe they just took the average of the daylight and tungsten ratings.

flickr

Old 09-26-2019   #9
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Interesting, thanks, Valdas! The Technical Information datasheet that Guy sent me specifically notes ISO 320:

I guess it's time for rehearsal screen tests by our forum members here! Or maybe they just took the average of the daylight and tungsten ratings.
Yes, I have the datasheet, it says 320. It’s probably mistake on the box... but... time to shoot and test it!

Old 10-07-2019   #10
CharlesDAMorgan

After going all round the country my N75 has just started its return journey to Germany without ever hitting my mail box.

The importer is clearly running things in an amateur way, not giving tracking numbers and taking days to reply to queries so I'm canning this experiment pro tem. A shame but there we are.

Old 10-07-2019   #11
Guy Pinhas

Man, that's too bad

Old 10-07-2019   #12
valdas

I have now shot and developed two rolls. There is really nothing to show so far I developed the first roll in xtol stock, but it seems the development time was a bit too short (7.30 min). The second one I shot in the bracketing mode (-1/+1 EV) and developed for 9 min. I guess it was a bit too long (maybe 8.30 is the way forward), but shots from both under and over exposures were quite usable.

Old 10-07-2019   #13
Guy Pinhas

Quote:
I have now shot and developed two rolls. There is really nothing to show so far I developed the first roll in xtol stock, but it seems the development time was a bit too short (7.30 min). The second one I shot in the bracketing mode (-1/+1 EV) and developed for 9 min. I guess it was a bit too long (maybe 8.30 is the way forward), but shots from both under and over exposures were quite usable.
Could you post one of each? Just super curious, that's all

Old 10-07-2019   #14
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Pinhas View Post
Could you post one of each? Just super curious, that's all
I will post some test photos tonight.

Old 10-07-2019   #15
valdas

As promised, posting some first images from ORWO N75 test roll. I already mentioned that first two rolls were a bit of failure. I guess my second roll was overdeveloped, so contrast/grain was not what I hoped for. On the other hand, the shooting was in quite high contrast light conditions which did not help. But I will keep on experimenting fine-tuning developing techniques, maybe will try another developer. Those three shots below were shot in bracketing mode - at box speed, + and - 1EV. Canon eos300, 40mm/2.8 lens. Xtol stock. 9 min.

Old 10-07-2019   #16
Guy Pinhas

Thank you!

Old 10-10-2019   #17
dourbalistar

Interesting results, Valdas, thanks for sharing! Look forward to seeing some more results.

Perhaps in related news, Lomography is launching pre-orders for their Berlin Kino "2019 Edition". Any bets that it's re-badged N75? Their development chart lists an oddly specific development time of 8 minutes and 7 seconds for HC-110(B).

https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomog...ack?country=us
https://kosmofoto.com/2019/10/lomogr...lin-kino-film/
https://www.dpreview.com/news/665356...9-edition-film

flickr

Old 10-10-2019   #18
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Interesting results, Valdas, thanks for sharing! Look forward to seeing some more results.

Perhaps in related news, Lomography is launching pre-orders for their Berlin Kino "2019 Edition". Any bets that it's re-badged N75? Their development chart lists an oddly specific development time of 8 minutes and 7 seconds for HC-110(B).

https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomog...ack?country=us
https://kosmofoto.com/2019/10/lomogr...lin-kino-film/
https://www.dpreview.com/news/665356...9-edition-film
That’s a guaranteed typo. 8’07” is not functionally different compared to 8’00”.

Marty

Old 10-10-2019   #19
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
That’s a guaranteed typo. 8’07” is not functionally different compared to 8’00”.

Marty
Seeing as it's Lomography, it might be a typo or it might not be. Just like the film, who knows? They also call "distillation" instead of "dilution"...

https://microsites.lomography.com/do...19_formula.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 21.24.50.jpg (26.9 KB, 13 views)

flickr

Old 10-11-2019   #20
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Seems like an odd degree of precision for a crowd that sandpapers their lenses...

Chris

Old 10-11-2019   #21
valdas

Oh, now I am pretty sure my poor results are due to the lack of this precision

Old 10-29-2019   #22
Mats

How do you order from Filmotec? I looked at the site and there is no obvious way, do you just email Hr Frank Böhme?

Maybe the 8' 7" is just recalculated D76 times (or D96) with some kind of formula? I noticed it too, I wonder what made them publish that.

Old 10-29-2019   #23
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats View Post
How do you order from Filmotec? I looked at the site and there is no obvious way, do you just email Hr Frank Böhme?

Maybe the 8' 7" is just recalculated D76 times (or D96) with some kind of formula? I noticed it too, I wonder what made them publish that.
Just email them to the general mail address. That’s what I did. They will send you the price list and invoice once you confirm what you want. The payment is to their bank account. It’s fast and free of charge in SEPA area.

Old 10-30-2019   #24
Mugn

What are the prices on the films?

Old 10-30-2019   #25
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugn View Post
What are the prices on the films?
N75 35mm/122m 213,02 EUR/roll

N75 35mm/30,5m 58,58 EUR/roll

Plus VAT plus shipping.

Old 11-07-2019   #26
valdas

some more tests, this time shot with MF camera GA645, in artificial light (xtol stock, 8min 30 sec):

Old 11-07-2019   #27
dourbalistar

Quote:
some more tests, this time shot with MF camera GA645, in artificial light (xtol stock, 8min 30 sec):
Wow, thanks for posting that sample, Valdas! The grain looks very clean on that, dare I say minimal. Personally, I found N74+ to be quite a grainy for an ISO 400 film. Also interesting that there are no edge markings.

flickr

Old 11-07-2019   #28
valdas

Quote:
Wow, thanks for posting that sample, Valdas! The grain looks very clean on that, dare I say minimal. Personally, I found N74+ to be quite a grainy for an ISO 400 film. Also interesting that there are no edge markings.

I can tell you one thing regarding the grain - it’s because of a scanner. This one is scanned with the Epson V700 and for some reason (because of lower resolution?) flatbed scanner gives less pronounced grain compared to my dedicated Coolscan. Edge markings - it’s there, but not visible on every frame because edges are also exposed and markings “disappear”.

Old 11-07-2019   #29
dourbalistar

Quote:
I can tell you one thing regarding the grain - it’s because of a scanner. This one is scanned with the Epson V700 and for some reason (because of lower resolution?) flatbed scanner gives less pronounced grain compared to my dedicated Coolscan. Edge markings - it’s there, but not visible on every frame because edges are also exposed and markings “disappear”.
Ah, yes, that makes sense. When I used to scan with a flatbed (CanoScan 8800F), I did find the grain to be less apparent, probably because it "mushed out" with the lower resolution. Now I "scan" using an APS-C digicam, and the grain seems more apparent because it much resolves more clearly compared to a flatbed.

Compared to N74+, do you find the grain to be finer with N75?

flickr

Old 11-07-2019   #30
valdas

Quote:
Ah, yes, that makes sense. When I used to scan with a flatbed (CanoScan 8800F), I did find the grain to be less apparent, probably because it "mushed out" with the lower resolution. Now I "scan" using an APS-C digicam, and the grain seems more apparent because it much resolves more clearly compared to a flatbed.

Compared to N74+, do you find the grain to be finer with N75?
Well, I did not have a chance to shoot on N74+ so I can’t really compare.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #31
valdas

Some more tests with ORWO N75: xtol stock 8.30, Yashica 24mm lens. This is small size file, but even scanned with Nikon Coolscan grain looks very reasonable:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Some more tests with ORWO N75: xtol stock 8.30, Yashica 24mm lens. This is small size file, but even scanned with Nikon Coolscan grain looks very reasonable:
It looks good. Is this the new ‘made in the USA’ Xtol or the old ‘made in Germany’ product?

Marty

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
It looks good. Is this the new ‘made in the USA’ Xtol or the old ‘made in Germany’ product?

Marty
I am still using the old one and have quite a lot of it in my inventory

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
I am still using the old one and have quite a lot of it in my inventory
Ok, thanks, I do too, just interested.

Marty

Old 1 Week Ago   #35
valdas

It seems to me that the grain of this new ORWO is really reasonable - if exposure, developer, temperature, agitation are right, it can give quite OK grain. And I did not try any fine grain developers yet...

Rollei 35 S, xtol stock 8:[email protected] 20C

Old 1 Week Ago   #36
dourbalistar

Quote:
It seems to me that the grain of this new ORWO is really reasonable - if exposure, developer, temperature, agitation are right, it can give quite OK grain. And I did not try any fine grain developers yet...

Rollei 35 S, xtol stock 8:[email protected] 20C
Looks great, Valdas!

On a side note, are you noticing problems with scratches on your negatives? I think I see one running vertically along the right third of the frame, starting above the handkerchief. I ask because I had scratches on a lot of my N74+ negatives, except mine showed up as black on my scans. It's not camera related, because I used multiple cameras. I suspected my bulk loader, but I haven't seen scratches in subsequent bulk rolls put through the same loader (and same reusable film cassettes).

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #37
valdas

Quote:
Looks great, Valdas!

On a side note, are you noticing problems with scratches on your negatives? I think I see one running vertically along the right third of the frame, starting above the handkerchief. I ask because I had scratches on a lot of my N74+ negatives, except mine showed up as black on my scans. It's not camera related, because I used multiple cameras. I suspected my bulk loader, but I haven't seen scratches in subsequent bulk rolls put through the same loader (and same reusable film cassettes).
Scratches - I surely see them I did not do the proper postprocessing on this frame. But. At this stage I would not blame the film. It was new to me Rollei 35S (first roll), so it could be camera. Bulk loader is another possible issue and then reusable cassettes). I would need to inspect all this, but I doubt the film itself is at fault.