Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Adorama -- Extremely slow shipping
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
dtcls100

Adorama -- Extremely slow shipping

Anyone having trouble getting timely deliveries from Adorama? I ordered a Flashpoint (Godox) Ving 860 II flash and transmitter from them on January 4. I am in downtown Manhattan, just like Adorama. I received sequential tracking notices that the item would be delivered in the evening of January 8, 9, 10, and now 11, and I stayed late in my office to receive the item. However, item never came. I called Adorama customer service and was told for the first time that delivery can take 7-10 business days, even though I am about a mile away. I asked to cancel the order or whether I could simply refuse delivery, so that I could order somewhere else, but was told that I could not and would have to go through the hassle of returning the items.

Really have trouble accepting this. I have ordered from B&H multiple times (which is also in Manhattan, but is a bit farther away than Adorama). I have always received my orders within 2 business days, and have even been surprised to receive some items the next day after I ordered the item. I have received items from out of state sellers much more quickly than from Adorama.

I don't think I will be ordering from Adorama again.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
AZPhotog
Keith S

That is the reason I almost exclusively went with B&H years ago . .. .... . .. and I am across the country too . ... ... B&H was always quicker for me.

I do not understand why any order across the city would takes so long, but who knows. Their shipping time for your distance across the city seems outrageous.

B&H will serve you well year after year.

(Just my two cents and experience)

Last edited by AZPhotog : 1 Week Ago at 10:22. Reason: added info

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
creenus

I live in New Mexico and B&H got me my film in two business days with regular post office rates. They're the best, IMO.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
css9450

This makes up for the time I ordered an item late on a Sunday evening, and as soon as I read the confirmation email, I noticed I'd ordered the wrong item. Wrong size, or some simple fault of my own. So I immediately contacted Adorama, and got back a form email from them saying there was nothing they could do; the item has been packaged and is on the loading dock with a hundred other boxes. Really? At 9PM on a Sunday?

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Huss

If Adorama is only 1 mile away, I would have walked over and picked it up.
And taken some totally wicked street shots on the way.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Some people could take pictures, but one mile could be hard to walk. For different reasons...

Recently, I was bitching at BH for order they shipped on Jan 3 and it came by January 10th to Ontario shipping address. It was two, three day in the past...

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Dogman

I haven't had much luck ordering from Adorama in the past. Even B&H has been a little slow lately for me. I get notified of shipping but it turns out to be only the creation of a shipping label and actual shipping can be two or three working days later. Could just be a UPS thing instead of a delay at B&H. I still prefer B&H.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
presspass
filmshooter

You could rightly blame Amazon. The postal service and other delivery systems have been snowed by Amazon packages and they apparently get preference since none of the package delivery systems want to lose their business. It's even affected first class mail.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
ptpdprinter

I see that they have dropped the Purolator service to Canada.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
You could rightly blame Amazon. The postal service and other delivery systems have been snowed by Amazon packages and they apparently get preference since none of the package delivery systems want to lose their business. It's even affected first class mail.
My Amazon packages arrive via an unmarked white van.

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I gave up on Adorama after they sold me something to tell me after the fact that it was backordered. More than once. Same kind of hassle to deal with getting even a backorder cancelled. I have used B&H, Freestyle, MacoDirect and FotoImpex since. I also get some chemistry directly from Wolfgang Moersch and Sprint.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
BillBingham2

Sounds more like a shipper issue than Adorama. Who did they ship through? You should have a tracking number, did you call the shipping company and speak with them? That would have seemed more the better approach than calling Adorama.

I agree that Adomama's issue to fix they contracted delivery out.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I gave up on Adorama after they sold me something to tell me after the fact that it was backordered. More than once. Same kind of hassle to deal with getting even a backorder cancelled.
That would be the Really Right Stuff business model too.

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcls100 View Post
Anyone having trouble getting timely deliveries from Adorama? I ordered a Flashpoint (Godox) Ving 860 II flash and transmitter from them on January 4. I am in downtown Manhattan, just like Adorama. I received sequential tracking notices that the item would be delivered in the evening of January 8, 9, 10, and now 11, and I stayed late in my office to receive the item. However, item never came. I called Adorama customer service and was told for the first time that delivery can take 7-10 business days, even though I am about a mile away. I asked to cancel the order or whether I could simply refuse delivery, so that I could order somewhere else, but was told that I could not and would have to go through the hassle of returning the items.

Really have trouble accepting this. I have ordered from B&H multiple times (which is also in Manhattan, but is a bit farther away than Adorama). I have always received my orders within 2 business days, and have even been surprised to receive some items the next day after I ordered the item. I have received items from out of state sellers much more quickly than from Adorama.

I don't think I will be ordering from Adorama again.
So sorry to see this; can you please email me [email protected] with your order # ?

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
B-9
Devin Bro

Helen,

Why do these issues only get solved when posted here at a RFF?

I have had the worst of experiences with your company and I've never found your solutions to be worth the time spent drafting an email. I absolutely avoid Adorama unless they have something really interesting in the used department and then it usually takes me only a few days to realize why I should have never ordered it from Adorama.

Just an FYI to the OP

Spend your Money at BH they actually do a good job without being prodded with complaints.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Huss

To show that every place has issues, I had a recent problem with B&H where they charged me for the Nikon ES-2 (in September) even though they had no idea when it was due. Instead they showed 'coming soon' which I trusted to mean 'coming soon'.
It was only recently that Nikon set a release date for mid March.

September -> March is not coming soon..

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Helen,

I have had the worst of experiences with your company and I've never found your solutions to be worth the time spent drafting an email. I absolutely avoid Adorama unless they have something really interesting in the used department and then it usually takes me only a few days to realize why I should have never ordered it from Adorama.

Just an FYI to the OP

Spend your Money at BH they actually do a good job without being prodded with complaints.
I'm sorry you feel this way. B&H is certainly a fine business and I'm sure they will look after you well.

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
dave lackey

Helen,

I just sent you my complaint a minute ago for a book I ordered. Please let me know how to resolve the problem since it is still not printed.

Dave

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
This makes up for the time I ordered an item late on a Sunday evening, and as soon as I read the confirmation email, I noticed I'd ordered the wrong item. Wrong size, or some simple fault of my own. So I immediately contacted Adorama, and got back a form email from them saying there was nothing they could do; the item has been packaged and is on the loading dock with a hundred other boxes. Really? At 9PM on a Sunday?
Our shipping and packaging team works on a Sunday; if you would like to email me: [email protected] I will be more than happy to share an image with you of how the trailer would have looked at 9:00pm.

We have moved on from that period, and customers are now able to cancel orders online - provided they haven't entered the shipping process.

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
I replied to your email - I have forwarded your email to the Head of Customer Service over at AdoramaPix, as I actually only work with Adorama Camera customers.
Thank you, Helen, you are very kind to do that. I will await their answer regarding a resolution to our order. I met with the hospital CEO today to review past photo essay projects Adorama printed for us... minus the latest one that was not delivered. And now he will be out of town next week, and we can not discuss the long term projects in queue until then, hopefully with the missing book.

Dave

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
Sounds more like a shipper issue than Adorama. Who did they ship through? You should have a tracking number, did you call the shipping company and speak with them? That would have seemed more the better approach than calling Adorama.

I agree that Adomama's issue to fix they contracted delivery out.

B2 (;->
If the OP would respond to me I would be delighted to check!

[Yes, we do contract out shipping - to UPS. Unfortunately, as a family business with a single warehouse in NJ we don't currently have the ability to run our own fleet of delivery vehicles]

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #22
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Thank you, Helen, you are very kind to do that. I will await their answer regarding a resolution to our order. I met with the hospital CEO today to review past photo essay projects Adorama printed for us... minus the latest one that was not delivered. And now he will be out of town next week, and we can not discuss the long term projects in queue until then, hopefully with the missing book.
I understand that your order has shipped, and should be with you tomorrow.

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
dave lackey

Quote:
I understand that your order has shipped, and should be with you tomorrow.
Yes, Helen, I received the information from customer service, thank you!!

We appreciate your assistance very much! Over the last six years, I have been impressed with the quality of the books from Adorama. Excellent in every respect. Our clients are always delighted when they receive their books, and they now understand the old saying that you get what you pay for when you purchase from reputable companies that use quality materials and processes along with excellent customer service.

Although I was not given a reason why my particular order was in limbo, I presume that the bad weather last week may be to blame. I sincerely appreciate all parties at Adorama for expediting the completion and shipping of our latest order.

Dave

Old 1 Week Ago   #24
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Helen,

I'm going to bet that some problems get corrected without posting here on RFF.

RFF I think is unique that we have a couple of representatives that listen and take action. Sometimes there are folks here who may have had the same problem, or might recommend a different approach that worked for them. RFF is a resource to for many things, helping with issues is but one of them.

B2 (;->

Old 1 Week Ago   #25
Steve M.

After many sub par experiences, I will not buy from B&H or Adorama, and much prefer to get my photography stuff from Freestyle (who really ARE the best), Amazon, eBay,...... anywhere but them.

Old 1 Week Ago   #26
daveleo
what?

I just had an "event" (faulty new flash unit) with Adorama that they settled in a few days. New Metz $250 flash on sale for $99. Battery door would not open. Their response went a little strange for a day or so, then they had the manufacturer dropship a new unit to me. It's on the way.
I cannot complain, if the incoming unit works as expected - in fact, $99 ???..... that is quite the bargain.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 1 Week Ago   #27
dave lackey

Update:

As usual with my experiences with Adorama, the promised book delivery was accomplished by UPS, before we could get the day rolling. The printed book was perfect!

The delivery was entertaining as UPS now has a Beta version for tracking delivery LIVE, and I watched for an hour or so as it made its way here.

Thanks again, Helen!

We have more orders in queue.

Dave

Old 1 Week Ago   #28
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Update:

As usual with my experiences with Adorama, the promised book delivery was accomplished by UPS, before we could get the day rolling. The printed book was perfect!

The delivery was entertaining as UPS now has a Beta version for tracking delivery LIVE, and I watched for an hour or so as it made its way here.

Thanks again, Helen!

We have more orders in queue.
Great to see! Thanks so much for the update - enjoy the rest of the weekend

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #29
pepeguitarra

I buy from Adorama and B&H and they deliver very quickly. However, Freestyle is super fast, sometimes I get it the same day.

Old 1 Week Ago   #30
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
I buy from Adorama and B&H and they deliver very quickly. However, Freestyle is super fast, sometimes I get it the same day.
Location, location, location!

B2 (;->

Old 4 Days Ago   #31
Hogarth Ferguson

I've given up on Adorama simply because of shipping costs. I can order from BH, spend over 49 bucks, which I always do, and it is at my house the next day with free shipping. Adorama wants me to join their 49 dollar a year club.

Frankly, I'd migrate to freestyle for everything, but they are all the way across the country and having stuff next day is best.

Quote:
Some people could take pictures, but one mile could be hard to walk. For different reasons...

Recently, I was bitching at BH for order they shipped on Jan 3 and it came by January 10th to Ontario shipping address. It was two, three day in the past...
Ko.Fe I also had this issue, I believe it was the storm there that caused the delay. If it was not the storm, I have no idea why there was an issue.

Old 4 Days Ago   #32
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
I've given up on Adorama simply because of shipping costs. I can order from BH, spend over 49 bucks, which I always do, and it is at my house the next day with free shipping. Adorama wants me to join their 49 dollar a year club.

Same reason that I quit Adorama and switch to B&H
But recently I HAVE to order from Adorama again and pay extra $10 for shipping (which is free with BH) because the inventory of B&H is empty for stuffs I want.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 4 Days Ago   #33
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
You know that we will almost always match - or even go under - any price for identical goods or shipping from any equally reputable retailer? You only need drop me an email!

BTW the Adorama VIP360 gives in addition to free shipping on eligible items, a 60-day return period, plus a free year of extended warranty cover on everything purchased during the membership year.

Last email I had sent wanted to know what I was ordering, as I recall. I was not given this information. Quite frankly, I was ready to 100% change to adorama for all my purchases, from BH (freestyle sells the c41 and e6 chemicals I need), but then I saw that shipping was not even close.

I get free, supersaver shipping from BH on orders over 49 bones. If I actually ordered more gear, or ever had a need to return something, I wouldn't mind signing up. However, I only order film, darkroom paper, and BW chemicals. In my mind, paying for the club membership per year meant I had to order quite a few orders each year to mitigate that cost.

Trust me, I'd actually rather purchase from you, given the recent stories of BH business practices.

Old 4 Days Ago   #34
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
If Adorama is only 1 mile away, I would have walked over and picked it up.
And taken some totally wicked street shots on the way.
Agree on both points.

Seriously, though, B&H does seem to be more prompt than Adorama regarding shipment.

Old 4 Days Ago   #35
HelenOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
Last email I had sent wanted to know what I was ordering, as I recall. I was not given this information.......I only order film, darkroom paper, and BW chemicals. In my mind, paying for the club membership per year meant I had to order quite a few orders each year to mitigate that cost.

I'm so sorry for the lapse in service - please don't hesitate to email me directly if you ever need assistance with an order: [email protected]

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adorama.com