Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Yashica RF

Yashica RF For all Yashica Rangefinder cameras, whether fixed lens or classic Leica Screw Mount !

Old 01-24-2011   #81
camera.bear

I got an unexpected and very nice gift. My friend Beedee is moving to a new house and she has been sorting and packing. She came across her late mother Olive's camera in the bottom of a linen cupboard and asked me if I would like to have it. I told her that I would be honored and thrilled to have the camera. She said that her mother had taken it on her trips to many places around the world.

Olive took very good care of her Electro 35 and it is in fine working order. I just put in a new battery, exercised the shutter a couple of times and it is ready to shoot more pictures. It came with the case and instruction book. I never planned to get an Electro 35, but I look forward to using it.

Old 01-26-2011   #82
Morfeus

Hi, I am a new member and wanted to share an image of my Electro 35 GS

Old 01-26-2011   #83
bayusuputra
BFA or BSc?

Hi, Morfeus! Welcome here! Anyway, i like your camera strap.. Care to share a lil' bit more detail?

Old 02-01-2011   #84
Greyscale

These just came in the mail about an hour ago, purchased through the classifieds from another RFF member:

Yashica G Electro 35 GSN (top) and G Electro GS (bottom,) by Greyscale3, on Flickr

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-07-2011   #85
cooltouch

My latest acquisition:

Kind of a strange story about this camera. I bought a camera bag at a thrift store several months ago. In the bag was a couple of off-brand lenses, an off-brand flash, and a couple of camera owners manuals, one of which was for the Yashica Electro GSN/GTN. Now, I've been peripherally familiar with the Electro 35s for many years -- they're so popular and were made in such great quantities that they are still ubiquitous. Well, at least the chrome ones are. But anyway, here I was with a GSN/GTN manual but no camera. And suddenly I wanted one. But I didn't just want the chrome GSN model. I wanted a GTN.

I'm also a cheap bastid, so I'm always looking for good deals. Finally I ran across a good deal on this GT. Not a GTN, but close enough to satisfy the urge. The camera is in super nice shape. I've just recently acquired it, so I haven't rigged up a battery substitution for it yet, but I will soon -- probably tomorrow. And then I get to run a roll of film through it and see just how well its reputation for having an amazingly accurate meter holds up.

So, this is the latest in my modest but growing collection of Rangefinder/P&S cameras. Next is a Lynx. I wonder if I can find one of those in black . . .

Old 02-07-2011   #86
PatrickT
New Rangefinder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolk View Post

got it about 2 months ago, loving it 100%
DAMN. That looks nice Now I can't wait to get my silver one back from Hama! But now I need to be on the lookout for a black one...

Old 02-11-2011   #87
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Just in:
- All manual, no meter, nothing.
- All metal, except the accents and the plastic (!) shutter release button
- Focusing tab, very nice feel
- Shutter is alive and accurate
- Cosmetically clean and nice
- The film rewind is on the bottom

Old 02-12-2011   #88
xwhatsit

Lovely, shadowfox. I've been looking for one of those along with the YK. If I have those, I'll have all of the mechanical fixed-lens Yashica rangefinders made (excluding model variations, like the f1.9/f2.8 Minister I etc.)

Old 02-15-2011   #89
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Yes, I usually don't collect Yashica rangefinders, but seeing this camera, its look is kinda unusual. I didn't even know if it takes batteries or whatnot, finding out that it's completely manual is a plus for me.

Too bad the rangefinder's mirror has de-silvered quite heavily, the patch is faint. I wonder if anyone could replace it within reasonable cost.

Old 02-15-2011   #90
cooltouch

What an interesting looking camera, Will. First time I've ever seen one. So of course I googled "yashica yl" and got hits. One of them is Butkis's site. He has a manual for it, in case you're looking for one:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica...shica_35yl.htm

Also, regarding the desilvering of your mirror -- do you know about the KY Photo repair site? There are a lot of very experienced techs who hang out there, and somebody in the repair forum might be able to give you some good advice. Go here and click on Maintenance and Repair:

http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

Old 02-17-2011   #91
xwhatsit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Yes, I usually don't collect Yashica rangefinders, but seeing this camera, its look is kinda unusual. I didn't even know if it takes batteries or whatnot, finding out that it's completely manual is a plus for me.

Too bad the rangefinder's mirror has de-silvered quite heavily, the patch is faint. I wonder if anyone could replace it within reasonable cost.
Best thing to do is replace it. I've done this with two of my RFs now (Minister I 1.9 and Lynx 1000). You can buy 50% mirror stock of the correct thickness often from Surplus Shed here: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m3013.html

I bought a decent stack at the time.

Film rewind on the bottom! Seems to be a Yashica thing for their first few fixed-lens RFs. The Minister I is like that too. Very cool pop-out thing. Half of the reason why I bought it!

Old 02-17-2011   #92
farlymac
PF McFarland

Finally got a GL, and it was a sight when it arrived:

1) How to go from this... by br1078phot, on Flickr

But all is well now:

2) ...to this... by br1078phot, on Flickr

PF

Old 02-18-2011   #93
Frontman

I would like a GL, but it's almost impossible to find one which works. I've picked up 4 of them, and had to toss them all. They are interesting enough cameras, but I have doubts about their reliability. The only "bullet-proof" Yashica I have seen is the CCN. I have come across many, and every single one has worked well.

Old 02-18-2011   #94
xwhatsit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
I would like a GL, but it's almost impossible to find one which works. I've picked up 4 of them, and had to toss them all. They are interesting enough cameras, but I have doubts about their reliability. The only "bullet-proof" Yashica I have seen is the CCN. I have come across many, and every single one has worked well.
Your problem is that you're looking at their fragile and clunky electric products.

They made very well-made mechanical 35mm RFs for years earlier. These are typically very reliable and bullet-proof. Highlights: Lynx 1000 and 5000; Minister I and Minister D.

The Lynx 1000 might interest you, as they have essentially the same lens as the Electros (Yashinon 45/1.8 -- not 1.7, but all but identical) with different coating. As a bonus, it's much smaller, feels 100% nicer in the hand, has a mechanical shutter (so no Electro Pad of Death, contacts, arrows that won't light up...), has a lovely shutter release that doesn't require half a metre of travel like the Electros, and a butter-smooth wind lever that doesn't go "CLUNK". Oh -- and no braindead aperture priority automatic metering. Use whatever ISO film you like, choose the exposure you want.

If you require better metering (Lynx 1000 is selenium), then the 5000 has a CdS cell and viewfinder help like the Electros. It is slightly larger than the 1000 though and doesn't feel so nice, so I normally pick up my 1000.

I love Yashica cameras. I have 15 or so of their 35mm rangefinders now. The only ones I've sold? Two Electro Gs, a 35CC, and a 35GX. To rub salt in the wounds of the terrible Electro ergonomics, the 35CC's 35mm and 35GX's 40mm f1.7 Yashinons seemed noticeably less sharp than the 45mm and 50mm (Leica Screw Mount) f1.8 Yashinons. May have just been my samples, though.

Old 02-18-2011   #95
bgb

The 1000 sounds nice but as the only Yashica I have ever used is my mint GSN I would not know where to start What's a Lynx 1000 worth and what are the things to look for when asking questions online?

Old 02-18-2011   #96
stevebrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb View Post
The 1000 sounds nice but as the only Yashica I have ever used is my mint GSN I would not know where to start What's a Lynx 1000 worth and what are the things to look for when asking questions online?
A good Lynx 1000 can be had for less than $45 and sometimes for less than $25! Ditto for a Lynx 5000. The 14 and 14E bring premium prices due to the f/1.4 lens.

A few notes and considerations:
  • The meters seldom work, though some have been known to spring to life after disassembly and cleaning of the strip resistors in the lens/shutter assembly
  • The slow shutter speeds may lag due to aging lubrication
  • Ditto for the self-timer
  • The aperture mechanism is prone to a bent rod that will render it useless
  • The rangefinder half-mirror is prone to coming loose as is the reflector for the meter display
Here is a link to pictures of/from my Lynxes:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=lynx&w=28796087%40N02
Steve

(Has one working Lynx 5000 and a repairable Lynx 1000 (recent aperture issue) and three broken Lynx 5000 received DOA from eBay purchases...)

Old 02-18-2011   #97
bgb

Thanks Steve
Mmmmmmmmmmm well i guess that's what happens when you buy from auctions sites huh?
I got lucky with my GSN and so far no POD issues, I do know a good repair guy but the cost might be more than it's worth ... or maybe not Guess it depends on how well the camera and i get on before the POD issue raises its ugly head.
The older Yashica's look nice too and with a small clip on meter might be interesting.

Old 02-19-2011   #98
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post
Your problem is that you're looking at their fragile and clunky electric products.

They made very well-made mechanical 35mm RFs for years earlier. These are typically very reliable and bullet-proof...
... snip ...

For those who may not know, Frontman has a real knack for putting old rangefinder cameras into great working order, especially Yashicas. He's done many, many of these. I have two superb GXs from him.

If Frontman discarded four GLs in a row as un-repairable, that says something to me.

Old 02-19-2011   #99
Mablo

A GL is a fantastic camera if you can find one that works. In my mind it's the creme de la creme of the Yashica rangefinder line. Still, I'd like to have one of those black CCN's....

Old 03-06-2011   #100
Chinasaur

Electro GT
Old 03-06-2011   #101
Castrol_GTX

Electro GT

Here it is! My "new" toy!
A pristine Electro GT from the Evil Bay.
Im loving it!

Old 03-11-2011   #102
Griffin
Grampa's cameras user

My broken down toy:

Yashica Electro 35 GX by Griph010, on Flickr

Old 03-12-2011   #103
nrparsons

Early Yashica Electro 35. Note the rectangular rangefinder patch.

Old 03-12-2011   #104
Ranger Copy
One Stop Short

The inspiration to join the forum. This GSN and the C3 were the reason I joined the forum. Came with two aux.lenses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (38.2 KB, 14 views)

Old 03-14-2011   #105
KerryMcClain

My GX, a great little camera!

Old 03-24-2011   #106
Frontman

I've been rearranging my apartment after the earthquake, so I took these buggers off the shelf and put them in a box.

These Yashicas are the ones I have which work, I have an equal number that don't. But at least I have a big store of spare parts.

Old 03-24-2011   #107
Darshan

I used to have a GSN that produced some great photos, but then started having problems with the POD. I just don't like AE.

My ideal Yashica RF would be the 35 CC/CCN with manual shutter, and I don't need a meter. I just don't like the 45 mm FL.

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 03-25-2011   #108
Frontman

I found this little camera in my mailbox today. I have never seen one in real life before. It's a scale focus camera with aperture-priority or automatic operation. I put a battery in it, and it seems to work properly. The lens has some crud, and the viewfinder needs a bit of cleaning, I'll see if I can get it tip-top to use for the weekend. Anyone else seen one of these?

Old 04-04-2011   #109
jeroul

my 2 GX's and Lynx 14E.
i really love the Lynx 14E (what a great lens)

JJP_1981.jpg

Old 04-04-2011   #110
FullMetalClicks

Old 04-14-2011   #111
newghost

Last edited by newghost : 04-15-2011 at 19:42.

Old 04-14-2011   #112
Chinasaur

New GX from frontman

Hexar RF, Yashica CCN, Yashica CC, Yashica GX & Yashica Minister, Olympus PEN EE-3, Olympus 35 DC, Canon A-1, Sony a850, Sony a700, Nikon D70, and a crapload of cheap ass Russian lenses I don't know what to do with since I can't ask Brian to shim them cause he don't do that anymore and so now I'm stuck with a whole crapload of cheap ass Russian lenses I don't know what to do with....
"Shut up and just shoot the damn thing..."

Mine
Old 05-05-2011   #113
bobkatz

Mine

Hi Fellas:
My new Yashica /Thx DanP)....a lot of fun with her...
The Yashica I mean...

Regards...

Gsn auxiliary viewfinder
Old 05-09-2011   #114
Troy1976

Gsn auxiliary viewfinder

Anyone know where I can buy a auxiliary viewfinder for my Yashica 35 electro gsn rf? Any help would be awesome.

Old 05-26-2011   #115
zsas

Just joined RFF today!

A recent proud owner of a stellar Lynx 14E!!

She is working perfect and looks amazing.

Old 05-27-2011   #116
AK66

This beauty was in the box of "multi-camera and other photo stuff" lot that I bought on the famous auction site for about $20. It was covered with dust, grime and who knows what else. And after thorough cleaning inside and out, usual shutter/aperture "unstick", and new seals from Jon Goodman, I became a proud owner of a perfectly working and beautiful Yashica rangefinder flagship. The only flaw is that the "Lynx 14e" decal is missing, but hey, maybe because of that I got it so cheap It was described as 1C.

I also have perfectly working GS and MG-1

Old 05-28-2011   #117
zsas

^AK66 - Very wonderful restoration! Do you have any pictures of your pre-restored Lynx? Regardless - amazing work!! Best

Old 05-29-2011   #118
AK66

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsas View Post
^AK66 - Very wonderful restoration! Do you have any pictures of your pre-restored Lynx? Regardless - amazing work!! Best
Thank you, zsas! Unfortunately, I didn't take any "before" pictures My bad, should've taken some. Honestly, I wasn't really sure that the project would be successful.

Old 06-12-2011   #119
v_roma

Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
I've been rearranging my apartment after the earthquake, so I took these buggers off the shelf and put them in a box.

These Yashicas are the ones I have which work, I have an equal number that don't. But at least I have a big store of spare parts.

Minister D
Old 06-30-2011   #120
Mikey_Rotten

Minister D

Here's my new tool Yashica Minister D. I bought this today from a guy who thought this would be worthless. Its all working and in a good shape. even the light meter works perfectly..

Cant wait to develop the first film!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0248.jpg (29.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (26.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0249.jpg (25.4 KB, 18 views)