Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Fuji GF670 damage advice
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
brothernature

Fuji GF670 damage advice

I owned a Fuji GF670 for a few years, I sold it and then almost immediately regretted it. I just bought another off eBay from Japan. When I got it I had a lot of trouble opening the lens, then once it was open, trouble closing it. After I got it to open properly once it seems fine, but I noticed a mark near the lens that looks like one of the levers was bent at one time, probably someone forcing the lens shut without focusing to infinity..

The place I bought it from is offering a full refund and to pay for shipping, or a $100 refund if I keep it. I got an estimate from Southern Photo Technical Services, who repairs these cameras, and they estimated $200 + shipping to fix it.

I just shot a roll and sent it off to see if the focus is off, so we'll see.

I got an okay deal on it, so I'm not sure if I'm better off getting it fixed, or just trying to buy another one.

I couldn't remember if when the camera is open, the lens is parallel to the body. The silver mark near the lens is where it looks like a lever was bent, then scratched the paint.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Robert Lai

Return it. On your photograph, the lens board is not parallel to the film plane. Fine another camera.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Hogarth Ferguson

As Robert said, return it. I think it would be too much of a hassle to deal with this. They are popping up more, you can find a good example without the hassle.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
brothernature

Bummer. Yeah you guys are right, it's such an expensive camera already, probably best to play it safe and return it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
brothernature

The scary thing is, on other eBay listings, there are cameras with the same silver scratch mark near the lens, suggesting they have also had their lens closed improperly, listed as "MINT"...

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Prest_400
Multiformat

I would return it, although it is a hassle with the whole ordeal of shipping. In Europe one would've paid import taxes and added to it.
If it were a lower value camera, perhaps I'd keep it, but being so high end you would want it to be top performing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothernature View Post
The scary thing is, on other eBay listings, there are cameras with the same silver scratch mark near the lens, suggesting they have also had their lens closed improperly, listed as "MINT"...
I recall tokyocamerastyle posting rather recently in one of his IG stories that the good times of buying film cameras from Japan are gone. I think it was both in price and quality, it isn't what it used to be. YMMV

To keep/repair or return?
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
randy stewart

To keep/repair or return?

I have a particular liking of folders, especially medium format. I nearly bought one of these, but concluded that I'd never use it. My experience supports your decision to return it and shop another unit. Frankly, I wouldn't trust anyone who promised to repair and align a front standard on a folder like this for $200, unless factory replacement parts are currently available. (No idea if there are parts still for the GF670) You cannot "straighten" those small parts if they are bent to the level of specification required to fully restore camera operation. Although mine doesn't suffer the problem, this is the classic issue that folks run into with the Bessa II.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Beemermark

It depends on how good of a deal you got it for. You'll get a fully serviced camera with a warranty for $100 (plus what you paid for it). If you got it for $100 less than the average price they sell for I say go for the repair. Just make sure the emails are documented through the eBay message system so you don't get stiffed for the $100. You could also send the seller the estimate and try for a little more, maybe $150?