Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Ariana's Photos (Mentoring a young photographer)
Old 09-13-2017   #1
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Ariana's Photos (Mentoring a young photographer)

At the beginning of September, 2017 an old friend's daughter asked me if I would look at some photos she had taken and help her improve them.

Ariana is 20 years old, the same age as my son. She has been in very poor health for several years, having been diagnosed with Lupus, a rare autoimmune disorder, when she was a teenager. She began to have an interest in photography as a hobby, in order to have something fun to do on the days when she feels well.

She was using the camera in her smartphone, and the photos suffered from the terrible technical quality that cellphone cameras (aside from high-end ones like the iPhone) produce. She has very little income, and could not have bought even an inexpensive camera herself, so I told her she could have an old 5mp digital point and shoot camera that I had gathering dust on my shelf. It is an old one but produces FAR better photos than her phone did.

She came over and I showed her how to use the camera. She was excited about it, and a couple days later had some photos to show me. She had never taken pictures with a real camera in her life, but she had made several really good photographs!
She is especially interested in bugs, spiders, plants, and other nature subjects.

Here are a few of the photos she did with the point-n-shoot camera:

Back home again in Indiana

My Portfolio

Learn from Me! Free tutorials for film and digital and my tested film developing times.

Old 09-13-2017   #2
Swift1

That is really cool. Photography (or anything creative) can be a blessing if you are not well. Nice of you to give her a camera. Those are very cool photos.

I have been sort of mentoring a friend's nephew, who is about 21. Last year I gave him a Minolta SR-T 101 with a 55/1.5, then helped him procure some film. I go out shooting with him every now and then, and I scan his film (soon I will get him going doing his own scanning).

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-13-2017   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

About a week after I gave Ariana that old digital camera, I was talking to Steve R., a photographer who had asked me for some technical advice. I mentioned that I was mentoring Ariana and had given her an old point-n-shoot camera to use. He said; "I have a lot of cameras, film and digital, sitting around. If she wants one, I'll find a camera and lens for her."

Steve sent me a Canon digital SLR that looked like it had never been used and a 17-135mm zoom lens! Ariana was so excited about the DSLR that she was at my house the day the mailman was supposed to bring it. I had the batteries charged and ready to go before she got here, and I showed her the basics of how to use it. She immediately went out in my yard and began photographing the flowers.

She was amazed that someone she didn't know (and someone I had never met in person) would be so kind and generous. The photography community is full of many wonderful people like that!

The photos below are some of the first photos that Ariana made with the DSLR that Steve sent her, made during the first three days that she had it in her hands! She has a real talent, and I'm happy that I could help her start her journey, and we are both deeply appreciative of Steve's incredible gift to her.

My Portfolio

Learn from Me! Free tutorials for film and digital and my tested film developing times.

Old 09-13-2017   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
That is really cool. Photography (or anything creative) can be a blessing if you are not well. Nice of you to give her a camera. Those are very cool photos.

I have been sort of mentoring a friend's nephew, who is about 21. Last year I gave him a Minolta SR-T 101 with a 55/1.5, then helped him procure some film. I go out shooting with him every now and then, and I scan his film (soon I will get him going doing his own scanning).

I've been in poor health all of my life. I spent half my childhood in the hospital because I had seizures all the time and a few years ago I had a stroke. I have always found my photography to be something that gave some joy in my life that I otherwise didn't have.

My Portfolio

Old 09-13-2017   #5
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I've been in poor health all of my life. I spent half my childhood in the hospital because I had seizures all the time and a few years ago I had a stroke. I have always found my photography to be something that gave some joy in my life that I otherwise didn't have.
Agreed. I got into photography around the time I was diagnosed with ALS. Having something creative that I could focus on has made a huge difference in my life since then.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-13-2017   #6
Mlehrman
Mlehrman

I have spent some time looking at Ariana's photographs. You have a gem to work with. Her florals demonstrate an eye for composition and a solid esthetic sense. God bless both of you.

Old 09-13-2017   #7
ellisson

My hat's off to you, Chris, for the kind mentoring of this young person. And to Steve R., who Kindly donated the DSLR.

I'm sure she will continue to learn much about photography with your help.
Creative pursuits such as photography will help to lighten the burden of her health challenges, as you, Colton, I (leukemic), and countless others know.

I believe the kindness shown to her will be an example she will follow and offer to others in her life.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 09-13-2017   #8
jsrockit

I'm glad you guys were able to step up her camera quality twice... I'm sure that made her day each time!

Old 09-13-2017   #9
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I'm glad you guys were able to step up her camera quality twice... I'm sure that made her day each time!

It did! No one has ever given her anything like that before

What's crazy is that after Steve told me he was sending the DSLR, but right before it arrived, the point-n-shoot that I had given her began to die. Random pictures were showing big purple lines running through them. The new camera arrived just in time!

My Portfolio

Old 09-13-2017   #10
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Random pictures were showing big purple lines running through them. The new camera arrived just in time!
That's awesome. And now she's got everything she needs.

Old 09-13-2017   #11
Paulbe

She's definitely got "the eye!" Good for you Chris--she'll go a long way. Blessings to you both!
Paul

Old 09-13-2017   #12
J.Paul
J.Paul

Chris,
This is a wonderful series of events born of kindness and generosity.
You have given a fine example to this naturally talented young lady. May she continue to grow in her new pursuit and find some measure of consolation in it, as you have and others here have done. May God bless you both.

Old 09-13-2017   #13
CMur12

How kind of Steve to make a gift of a DSLR, and I'd be hard-pressed to imagine a better mentor in photography than you, Chris. Such meaningful contributions to this young woman's life. She clearly has a good eye and her photography appears to be developing quickly.

- Murray

Old 09-13-2017   #14
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Chris,

I just want to say that this thread and the pictures you posted made my day...you getting to mentor this young mind is such a great thing for the two of you...
You can see from her current work she has a vision, a way of seeing and a want to improve or a better way to put it "Fine Tune" her Art.
I think a lot of us photographers have so much gear for times like this when we just give stuff away towards a Good cause...
Keep us posted as she continues...
pf

Old 09-14-2017   #15
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Sorry its taken me so long to respond to all of the posts. I wasn't feeling well yesterday, and wasn't online much. Thanks for all the kind words about Ariana's photos. I know she'll love seeing all the positive comments when I show her the thread.

Here's a photo I made of her the day the DSLR arrived:

My Portfolio

Old 09-14-2017   #16
Michael Markey

Just wanted to echo what others have said.
Wonderful Chris ... she couldn`t wish for a better mentor

Old 09-14-2017   #17
robert blu
quiet photographer

This is a wonderful story Chris, thanks for sharing.

For sure Ariana has a vision and with the help of a special mentor and friend as you are she will be able to develop an interesting body of work.

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-14-2017   #18
karlin

Thank you Chris for sharing this moving story.
She is lucky for getting you as a mentor.
good health for both of you.

Ophir

Old 09-14-2017   #19
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Dear Ariana,
Congratulations!
You have a great sense of tonality for your age...
Keep going!
You could possibly enjoy black and white photography too, where contrast and concept are blended and intensified as color is absent...
Have a nice day!
J.

Old 09-14-2017   #20
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Agree with the others. A real positive story and I enjoyed the photographs.

Old 09-14-2017   #21
daveleo
what?

Chris, Steve and Ariana .... you guys are restoring my faith in people.
Wonderful story Chris, you and Steve get *Gold Stars*.
Ariana, I wish you well in your new work. The pictures that Chris posted here are beautiful !!!

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 09-14-2017   #22
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My Portfolio

Old 09-14-2017   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Thank you for sharing such a heart-warming account Chris. I wish the young lady every success with her imaging, and good health, (as indeed I do, you). There is not enough kindness in the world, but you and Steve are pulling your weight. May karma be kind to you both.
Cheers
Brett

Old 09-14-2017   #24
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My Portfolio

Old 09-14-2017   #25
summar

Ariana has real talent and sure deserves those gifts!

Old 09-14-2017   #26
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My Portfolio

Old 09-14-2017   #27
helenhill
Beauty in Shadow & Light

Cool !

Great set of Photos Ariana !
You have a very Good Eye.

Blessed to have Chris as a Teacher & Friend.... We love him here on RFf !
Keep posting...

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 09-14-2017   #28
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My Portfolio

Old 09-14-2017   #29
charjohncarter

Send her to LENSCRATCH they love photos like this.

Old 09-14-2017   #30
lynnb

Congratulations Chris on your mentoring a new photographer who is showing she has a fine eye, and lots of enthusiasm! Congratulations Ariana on a very nice set of photos - keep up the good work!

One thing though - please, please, please don't take any more photos on railway tracks. Trains are silent killers. You might think you can hear them coming, but that isn't true. Tragically, every year people die for not realising that. Read this article on TOP, and do a Google search for similar. It's just not worth risking your life for a train tracks photo, however careful you are.

I'd like to keep on seeing your personal view of the world in future!

Kind regards,
Lynn

Old 09-14-2017   #31
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Congratulations Chris on your mentoring a new photographer who is showing she has a fine eye, and lots of enthusiasm! Congratulations Ariana on a very nice set of photos - keep up the good work!

One thing though - please, please, please don't take any more photos on railway tracks. Trains are silent killers. You might think you can hear them coming, but that isn't true. Tragically, every year people die for not realising that. Read this article on TOP, and do a Google search for similar. It's just not worth risking your life for a train tracks photo, however careful you are.

I'd like to keep on seeing your personal view of the world in future!

Kind regards,
Lynn
I don't think you understand what this thread is about. There is nothing here that is my personal view of the world, as I took NONE of the photos except the portrait of Ariana.

The rock you see on the left side of the railroad tracks is a famous landmark here. It is known as the Turtle. It is a large chunk of iron ore that fell off a train decades ago. My father grew up on this country road, and he said it was there when he was a little kid, and he is 67 years old.

She shot the photo from the passenger window of a car driven by someone else to avoid the danger you're talking about.

My Portfolio

Old 09-14-2017   #32
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My Portfolio

Old 09-14-2017   #33
dfatty

this thread makes me happy, thanks for posting it. ariana is good, i hope she enjoys it.

Old 09-14-2017   #34
Contarama

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back."

Alice Walker

Old 09-14-2017   #35
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back."

Alice Walker

How true. There is a lot of beauty in the world that most people never notice, and some actively try to destroy.

My Portfolio

Thank you
Old 09-15-2017   #36
Tim Murphy

Thank you

Dear Chris,

Thank you for sharing these pictures. Everyone needs needs something to be passionate about when they are young. You're a good man for helping Ariana and letting her discover photography.

I look forward to seeing more examples of her work.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 09-19-2017   #37
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Thanks again for all the compliments on Ariana's photos. I showed her this thread last week and it made her really happy.

She was in the hospital again over the weekend with a bad intestinal infection. Once she gets to feeling better she has some new photos for me to post.

My Portfolio

Old 09-25-2017   #38
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

New stuff! Ariana is feeling better now.

She shot these last week after a rainstorm. In the second photo, the raindrops are on a spider web.

My Portfolio

Old 09-25-2017   #39
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Ariana loves praying mantises. She photographed this one Saturday afternoon.

My Portfolio

Old 09-25-2017   #40
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Ariana's younger sister

My Portfolio