Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Cleaning Contax G2?
Old 10-11-2017   #1
fswensson

Cleaning Contax G2?

Hey there!

I have a Contax G2 that I've been using for a while. A couple of weeks ago I shot my friends wedding and spilled some beer over my camera. I wiped it off and the camera is working fine.

Some of the switches are kind of stuck though. The switch for turning the camera on and off works and the shutter time control is really tough and barely moves. Is there an easy way to clean them?

I don't think there are any places that does repairs for these camera where I'm at (Stockholm, Sweden).

Thank you!
/Felix

Old 10-11-2017   #2
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I'd try Windex (window cleaner) and swabs. Dip the swab in the Windex and clean around the dials to remove the stickiness. Since Windex has alcohol, it'll evaporate quickly but not before helping remove the sticky remains of beer. I had the same thing happen to my Leica M6TTL and I cleaned it first on the spot with a dry napkin (or serviette), but later I did the Windex cleanup. No problem! Just don't overdo it with the window cleaner; dip the swab once to get it nicely wet, not dripping wet, and then clean the camera.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 10-11-2017   #3
Bob Michaels
nobody special

A ContaxG is a basic standard electronic camera just like most others. It disassembles the same, using the same screwdriver as any other camera. Sticky switches can sometimes be cleaned up using contact cleaner just like any other camera. It seems that too many believe that every camera is some complex unique piece of technology. If you don't feel comfortable trying to service it yourself, just take it to any competent camera repair technician.

FWIW, I have had both ContaxG and Zeiss Ikon camera bodies repaired by technicians who had never seen one before mine.

Old 10-13-2017   #4
fswensson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave View Post
I'd try Windex (window cleaner) and swabs. Dip the swab in the Windex and clean around the dials to remove the stickiness. Since Windex has alcohol, it'll evaporate quickly but not before helping remove the sticky remains of beer. I had the same thing happen to my Leica M6TTL and I cleaned it first on the spot with a dry napkin (or serviette), but later I did the Windex cleanup. No problem! Just don't overdo it with the window cleaner; dip the swab once to get it nicely wet, not dripping wet, and then clean the camera.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try this!

Old 10-13-2017   #5
fswensson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
A ContaxG is a basic standard electronic camera just like most others. It disassembles the same, using the same screwdriver as any other camera. Sticky switches can sometimes be cleaned up using contact cleaner just like any other camera. It seems that too many believe that every camera is some complex unique piece of technology. If you don't feel comfortable trying to service it yourself, just take it to any competent camera repair technician.

FWIW, I have had both ContaxG and Zeiss Ikon camera bodies repaired by technicians who had never seen one before mine.
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll give it a try and do it myself and if I feel it's too hard I will try and fine someone that can help me.

Old 10-26-2017   #6
fswensson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave View Post
This worked perfectly!! Thank you!