M9 out of warranty sensor replacement
Old 10-15-2018   #1
kbg32
neo-romanticist

M9 out of warranty sensor replacement

Has anyone had their M9 sensor replaced out of warranty? I sent an email to Leitz USA, but they have not responded. I am curious of the cost and turnaround time. I had the original sensor replaced just before my warranty expired, but apparently the sensor was replaced with an older, defective one. It started to show the corrosion about a year later.

Thanks.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 10-15-2018   #2
ptpdprinter

At the time Leica announced the discontinuation of warranty replacements, I recall the post warranty price was to be ~$1000. Of course, that may have changed in the interim. No idea on current turn around time.

Old 10-15-2018   #3
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
Has anyone had their M9 sensor replaced out of warranty? I sent an email to Leitz USA, but they have not responded. I am curious of the cost and turnaround time. I had the original sensor replaced just before my warranty expired, but apparently the sensor was replaced with an older, defective one. It started to show the corrosion about a year later.

Thanks.
I would think if Leica replaced it already and in a year it happened again, they might be sympathetic. I'd call them directly and be stern.

Old 10-15-2018   #4
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post

Thanks.
Keith,

I would call and speak to Bill, the Service Manager.

I hope you are lucky. All the best.

Cal

Old 10-15-2018   #5
nightfly

I had mine replaced twice. No charge either time. I purchased the camera used originally so I have no idea if either was in warranty. The second time took much less time than the first. I think they had me send them a photo that demonstrated the issue I was having and then had me send it in and it was back in a few weeks the second time. First time took months.

Old 10-15-2018   #6
Beemermark

Mine was replaced in April (was sent in Sept 2017). $960. Add sales tax if you're in NJ.

Old 10-16-2018   #7
Fraser

I would think that a new sensor should have at least a years warranty, maybe fingers crossed.
Good luck I hope it works out.

Old 10-16-2018   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

My M9 had a board issue which had Leica replace board and sensor. I paid then $400 maybe 2-3 years ago. The replacement sensor then got corroded a year ago. Leica replaced it for free.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/