(repost from l-camera - so apologies if you've seen it there - hoping to get some more thoughts from the RFF community)
I'm hoping for a little advice re my Leica ME. Please note this is not an attempt to complain - I know that some of my choices have put me in this situation.
- I purchased my ME from a friend not long after he bought it in March 2013 (he returned to his Nikon gear). I loved the camera.
- In September 2015 it suffered a pixel defect whereby the images showed a vertical line, I returned it to my local dealer in Australia - camera clinic - who after sending it to Solms reported that it was also suffering from sensor corrosion. Leica replaced the sensor free of charge.
- Not long after it was returned I bought a Type 262 which became my primary shooter. I loved the camera.
- The ME sat in my dry cabinet and was only shot 2-3 times as a back up over the next couple of years. I then traded the 262 for an M-D. I love (present tense) the camera.
- Fast forward to the start of this year - I moved to the UK and last month sent the ME to Ffordes to trade toward some new lenses.
- On receiving the camera Ffordes informed me that the new sensor had also corroded, but they would send it to Solms to be looked at.
- Today FFordes contacted me to tell me that Solms will replace the sensor for £1193
As it stands, I see a couple of options....
Option A: Pay for the repair then trade the camera for the £1300 FFordes are offering - hence getting £113 for the ME
Option B: Get the ME back without repair and run it into the ground until corrosion becomes so bad that it needs to be thrown away (or better yet, give it to a friend - telling them about the sensor obviously).
I am currently leaning towards option B - but am I missing something here?
Any suggestions / thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking