Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 11-01-2019   #9001
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I haven't quite yet. Have some PanF+ in my cart at B&H, and wondering about how long it's gonna be before I can get the Ilford Ortho in 35 and 120 from them. I LOVE ortho film. I don't know how to describe what it is about it that works. Something in the space between highlights and upper midtowns that gets stretched out and bleached, so it's a histogram of stripes. really narrow stripes. Ortho is more like drawing.

I'll probably order Monday. Still not sure what.

I've got some XX and some money from selling off some stuff on apug.

Old 11-01-2019   #9002
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
What that REALLY means, (in the absence of a receipt) is that they messed around with it and it seems to work OK.

"Shutter clicks? Check.
Dials turn? Check.
Back opens and latches properly? Check." = "serviced and working well"
Shutter didnt even click...

Old 11-02-2019   #9003
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Just count yourself lucky it's going back ! Yet, and this is a big yet , the lens can produce some excellent photos ( be careful what you wish for ) . They can drive you nuts . Peter

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9004
carbo73

A VERY old, c.1892, Blair Folding Hawk-Eye No.2, a 5x7 camera that still "somehow" works, although the back is half-crumbling and there are some leaks. And the archaic Bausch & Lomb Iris leaf shutter could only be trusted in T mode. But I have managed to take some interior-some-seconds-long shoots that look promising.

Kodak No.4 F Cartridge / Kodak No.2 Folding Brownie / Kodak No.3 & No.3A Folding Pocket / Goerz ANGO / Kodak VPK / Brownie Nr.2 / KW Patent Etui / Leica II / Leica IIIb / Rolleiflex Old Standard / Contax II / VP Exakta / Kine Exakta / FED1 / Contax S / Exakta VX / Moskva 4 / Zenit-S / FED2 / Minolta Autocord /Exakta VX IIa / Nikon F

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9005
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

I just bought a Voigtländer Ultron 35mm f2 while in Japan and I love love love it. If only it had the 2.5/35 II's focusing tab...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191026_120810-m.jpg (127.4 KB, 23 views)

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9006
CharlesDAMorgan

That looks fun carbo 73!

I have had a good few months, but I succumbed today to a Voigtlander Bessa RF with 105mm Heliar f3.5 (IIRC). I was sorely tempted by an art deco Zeiss Super Ikonta 530/2 in similar condition but ultimately I've never really bonded with my Super Ikonta 534/16's tessar.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9007
Takkun
Ian M.

Sold some work and have some paid shoots coming up, so I sprung for a 90 Summarit off KEH; waiting for it tomorrow to see how I like it/what a 'BGN' grade lens looks like.

Ironically, I'll be less than a mile from their warehouse on Sunday, but I didn't want to drag my SO to yet another camera store (don't think they have an actual storefront but they do pickup orders).

I've had a 90 Tele-Elmarit for some time now, but I never really got on with it as well as I wanted. Had DAG look at it, but it always seemed very soft to me.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9008
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Uno View Post
... Yet, and this is a big yet , the lens can produce some excellent photos ( be careful what you wish for ) . They can drive you nuts . Peter

Not sure whether I should be wondering what happened to the bellows or wondering why the camera is apparently on the roof.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9009
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Not sure whether I should be wondering what happened to the bellows or wondering why the camera is apparently on the roof.

My guess, and it's nothing more, is that no one was in when the delivery man came knocking at the door...

Regards, David

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9010
CharlesDAMorgan

The Bessa RF folder arrived today - a thing of engineering beauty. I just wish the vendor had mentioned slow slow shutter speeds, this level of non-disclosure especially from dealers drives me nuts. Lens is immaculate though as is camera.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9011
ruby.monkey

16TB LaCie 2big Thunderbolt 3 external drive, with Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. Need more storage and my old 6TB LaCie drive is starting to make grinding noises every now and then.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9012
kuvvy

Just got the Sigma DP1 Merrill to join the 2 & 3.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9013
Smaug

I've got an Olympus Stylus (µ) on the way from a local Facebook Marketplace seller. It looks to be in good shape, but she couldn't confirm as she didn't have a battery. But I only paid half the going rate on ebay. A gamble, in other words. I'm expecting maybe the flash will be bad; we'll see.

I'm expecting a Nikon FM2N today, that'll be my super-reliable back-up body to my FG. Also: Five 36 exp. rolls of Kodak XX in 35 mm. Everybody seems to just LOVE this film; I wanted to give it a go. ASA 250 does seem like kind of a sweet spot, for my kind of shooting.

Reloadable plastic screw-top 35 mm cartridges later this week, on which I'll load some Fomapan 400. I took a gamble and bought a whole 100' bulk roll, based on how much I like the Fomapan 100.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9014
Smaug

I should add that I just sold (at the cost of shipping) a non-working Yashica Electro 35 GSN and an Olympus OM-G with a sticking 2nd shutter curtain. Couldn't bear to throw them away, so went to the trouble of shipping them to interested parties. Got a nice Canon FTb and a few lenses on the block.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9015
spatumba

I had the desire to have it, and yes: Nikonos V orange with 35mm. f/2.5

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9016
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatumba View Post
I had the desire to have it, and yes: Nikonos V orange with 35mm. f/2.5
One thing you'll discover is just how sharp that 35/2.5 lens is - it's very good, one of Nikon's best.

Another thing you'll discover is that the Nikonos will keep the shutter open for many seconds, if necessary, to get a proper exposure. It's measuring light directly off the film.

I think the viewfinder display of shutter speeds is clever, as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG10866-1-1~2.jpg (36.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG10069-1.jpg (26.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9017
CharlesDAMorgan

The holy grail of below the radar open aperture metering M42 cameras, scored off ebay for an extortionate £21, and fully working. Just needs new mirror foam. The Chinon CE Memotron - enables all M42 lenses to be metered open aperture, and actually quite a handsome beast and well built. Tiny bit of brassing but in all other respects, spot on. This enables me to shoot M42 lenses on film as well as mirrorless. Very happy bunny!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9018
gnuyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
Just got the Sigma DP1 Merrill to join the 2 & 3.
I have the DP2 and it's a great camera.

I just exercised the buy it now option for a Hasselblad 500 C/M with Sonnar 180, and I did the same thing for a Planar 80 (Chrome T* coated) to add to it. Now I think I need a 50 down the road and I will be set.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9019
CharlesDAMorgan

O grief, now a well priced 28mm Biogon f2.8 ZM just turned up on 35MMC. I actually think I've bought everything I want apart from a 50mm C Sonnar, and that can wait.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9020
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

wrong hobby again.
a rotel a12 amplifier, and a pair of tannoy revolution XT8F loudspeakers.

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9021
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastel View Post
wrong hobby again.
a rotel a12 amplifier, and a pair of tannoy revolution XT8F loudspeakers.
Oh! Still nice acquisitions

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9022
valdas

Black Ricoh 500 ME and silver Rollei 35 S

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9023
MrFujicaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
The holy grail of below the radar open aperture metering M42 cameras, scored off ebay for an extortionate £21, and fully working. Just needs new mirror foam. The Chinon CE Memotron - enables all M42 lenses to be metered open aperture, and actually quite a handsome beast and well built. Tiny bit of brassing but in all other respects, spot on. This enables me to shoot M42 lenses on film as well as mirrorless. Very happy bunny!

One of the CE & CE-II's abilities that's not well known is that in Auto, the shutter can reach a maximum fast speed of 1/4000!

I have one of these, and with zillions of M42 mount lenses out there, and the auto exposure with any M42 lens is that it makes a good camera for street photography. It's also quieter than normal for a camera from that era.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9024
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
One of the CE & CE-II's abilities that's not well known is that in Auto, the shutter can reach a maximum fast speed of 1/4000!

I have one of these, and with zillions of M42 mount lenses out there, and the auto exposure with any M42 lens is that it makes a good camera for street photography. It's also quieter than normal for a camera from that era.
Thanks - that I did not know! It is even more capable, and really very much an insider's camera.

I have some gorgeous M42 lenses and sometimes it's tough choosing which to take. Ultimately I have a real soft spot for the Flektogon, but the Takumars are so fine, as are the Fujinons, and with limited exceptions still very good value.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9025
MrFujicaman

A Sunpak EXT-11 cord and STD-1D sensor for my Sunpak 622's

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9026
JP Owens

Quote:

That's interesting. I owned a Ricoh Auto TLS EE when they first came out that also enabled M42 lenses to be metered at full aperture. You had to tell the camera the maximum aperture of the lens, and it did the rest. I thought that was the only camera that did that. I need to check out the Chinon.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9027
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Oh! Still nice acquisitions
indeed. say my pleased ears. ;-)

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9028
carbo73

A relativelly cheap Linhof Technika II in 13x18, made probably c.1949.

Kodak No.4 F Cartridge / Kodak No.2 Folding Brownie / Kodak No.3 & No.3A Folding Pocket / Goerz ANGO / Kodak VPK / Brownie Nr.2 / KW Patent Etui / Leica II / Leica IIIb / Rolleiflex Old Standard / Contax II / VP Exakta / Kine Exakta / FED1 / Contax S / Exakta VX / Moskva 4 / Zenit-S / FED2 / Minolta Autocord /Exakta VX IIa / Nikon F

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9029
jorgef2002
VISUAL MOMENTS OF LIFE

Just bought A Leica Ig in excellent condition just serviced by YY Ebay of course, $500.00+ tax and shipping, their asking price was $ 649.00 or best offer, I think that is a great looking camera, was that the last model made ?, I have been looking at several of them all Ic, but this one Ig really took my heart.Can't wait to get it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9030
zwicko

Voigtländer Color-Skopar 3.5/28mm and 20 boxes of T-Max 100 4x5.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9031
MrFujicaman

A Minolta "Talkman" P & S for $2.00 Bought it because I wanted a P & S with manual film speed setting-not DX!

Old 1 Week Ago   #9032
gnuyork

Finally got a Hasselblad - 500CM, can't wait to use it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9033
CharlesDAMorgan

The last of my buying posts as there is nothing more needed to complete my kit, and once I have successfully moved (the end of this week) the big clear out begins. But I'd been wanting a 50mm Zeiss C Sonnar f1.5 ZM for some time, my favourite dealer had one that the previous owner had touched in some of the lettering, and he had a sale this weekend at 10% off, so I bought it. Apart from this minor silliness, the important bits are in great nick.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9034
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
One thing you'll discover is just how sharp that 35/2.5 lens is - it's very good, one of Nikon's best.

Another thing you'll discover is that the Nikonos will keep the shutter open for many seconds, if necessary, to get a proper exposure. It's measuring light directly off the film.

I think the viewfinder display of shutter speeds is clever, as well.
Off topic, I know, but...........

I miss my Nikonos 5...... and its standard 35mm f2.5 lens :^(

I had an unusual introduction to photography. My first wife and I were seriously into diving and in the late 1980s I bought a Nik 5 with SB102 speedlight. I discovered it was far easier to make pictures above water than under and mainly used my Nik 5 for that purpose albeit in jungles and dripping rainforests more often than not. Eventually my wife and I separated and later partners were not into the sport. For lack of someone to dive with regularly on holiday trips I eventually sold the camera and speedlight kit. But of course by then I had the photography bug and have bought many, many other cameras since.

But I miss that camera from time to time. I still recall its heft in my hand, the feel of the rubber skin and its distinctive smell when the body was opened to load film. And of course I still recall the paranoia I felt when after opening the camera to load it I took it back into the water for the first time. (Now did I seat those 'O' rings properly???) Even the solid but quiet and authoritative "chunk" of the shutter was distinctive. In any event there was just something about it and there is no other camera quite like it. I seldom shoot film these days but the thought keeps coming back to me that I should buy another just for those times when once again I am out in the rain and feel the need to shoot a film camera.....and of course, for old time's sake.

Many of the shots taken with the original were made on combined sailing / diving expeditions in the sail training vessel "Eye of the Wind" sailing around parts of the Pacific. And perhaps that is why I have such profoundly fond memories of it. http://www.tallshipstales.de/80s/Sailing_Solomons.php

Me back then, (was I ever that skinny) shot with the Nik

And the, then, wife diving on the sunken ship Toa Maru in the Solomon Islands. Shot, of course with the Nik 5.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9035
valdas

There was a resurrection of Helios 103 old post which made me buy this lens - I found locally in very nice cosmetic condition (paid 20 EUR) and then I needed the body to mount it on so I found Kiev 4 (type 3) in good shape (paid 25 EUR). The whole excitement is that Kiev is from 1969 which is my birth year

Old 1 Week Ago   #9036
blumoon

This Olympus 35 RC.
[IMG]DSC02511 [/IMG]

Old 1 Week Ago   #9037
Big Ursus

I've just ordered online a used Tamrac Expedition 6X Photo Backpack.
Mainly an impulse buy; I broke two of my rules: never buy a bag without handling it, and never buy a backpack without trying it on, but for a long time, I've wanted a bag that could carry two large zooms + a lap top.
Well, we'll see - It might just be too big and too bulky.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9038
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ursus View Post
I've just ordered online a used Tamrac Expedition 6X Photo Backpack.
Mainly an impulse buy; I broke two of my rules: never buy a bag without handling it, and never buy a backpack without trying it on, but for a long time, I've wanted a bag that could carry two large zooms + a lap top.
Well, we'll see - It might just be too big and too bulky.
I have one for many years now, also bought online... I take it when I travel by car (and always keep it in the trunk or hotel, but never carry) or else I just use it for storing cameras It's heavy. OK, I am not an "expedition" guy to begin with, so if you are, then maybe it's for you. It's good backpack in general, but when fully loaded it weights twice my weight

Old 1 Week Ago   #9039
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
The last of my buying posts as there is nothing more needed to complete my kit, and once I have successfully moved (the end of this week) the big clear out begins. But I'd been wanting a 50mm Zeiss C Sonnar f1.5 ZM for some time, my favourite dealer had one that the previous owner had touched in some of the lettering, and he had a sale this weekend at 10% off, so I bought it. Apart from this minor silliness, the important bits are in great nick.

That’s a lovely characterful lens Charles. I have had one for about five years now and always enjoy using it on my M6.
John Mc

Old 1 Week Ago   #9040
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Off topic, I know, but...........

I miss my Nikonos 5...... and its standard 35mm f2.5 lens :^(

I had an unusual introduction to photography. My first wife and I were seriously into diving and in the late 1980s I bought a Nik 5 with SB102 speedlight. I discovered it was far easier to make pictures above water than under and mainly used my Nik 5 for that purpose albeit in jungles and dripping rainforests more often than not. Eventually my wife and I separated and later partners were not into the sport. For lack of someone to dive with regularly on holiday trips I eventually sold the camera and speedlight kit. But of course by then I had the photography bug and have bought many, many other cameras since.
But I miss that camera from time to time. I still recall its heft in my hand, the feel of the rubber skin and its distinctive smell when the body was opened to load film. And of course I still recall the paranoia I felt when after opening the camera to load it I took it back into the water for the first time. (Now did I seat those 'O' rings properly???) Even the solid but quiet and authoritative "chunk" of the shutter was distinctive. In any event there was just something about it and there is no other camera quite like it. I seldom shoot film these days but the thought keeps coming back to me that I should buy another just for those times when once again I am out in the rain and feel the need to shoot a film camera.....and of course, for old time's sake.

Many of the shots taken with the original were made on combined sailing / diving expeditions in the sail training vessel "Eye of the Wind" sailing around parts of the Pacific. And perhaps that is why I have such profoundly fond memories of it. http://www.tallshipstales.de/80s/Sailing_Solomons.php

Me back then, (was I ever that skinny) shot with the Nik

And the, then, wife diving on the sunken ship Toa Maru in the Solomon Islands. Shot, of course with the Nik 5.

Excellent adventures Peter. No wonder you remember the camera so fondly.
John Mc