Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Trying out the Leica R8
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Mudman

Trying out the Leica R8

I just picked this up last week, complete with the 100mm f2.8 APO macro for a very reasonable price. I've got the 50mm Summicron on the way, and a converter from DAG to use them both on my m(240). The 50mm is coming attached to an R4s, which will probably get moved down the road to offset the cost of the lens.

I'm still getting used to the camera, but it's a joy to shoot with, if a little large for some. It fits my large hands perfectly and with little to no fatigue. Just finished my first roll of film in it.

Any other R shooters out there? The lenses feel phenomenal. Very well damped.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
steveyork

The three cam 50mm Summicron R is roughly equivalent to the 4th/5th generation M mount Summicron. Which is to say it is very good. I have no experience with the macro other then the 60 Elmarit, which is another iconic lens from the R line. I always felt the R8/R9 were great ergonomic cameras, but only played with them at dealers when they were in production. I owned an R7 for a summer, it was ok, in an F3 type of way, but over many years put hundreds and hundreds of rolls through several Leicaflex SL, which ranks up there as one of my favorite cameras. Great viewfinders, and super well damped shutter. Still have a few in the house along with a basic 35-50-90 outfit. As with most SLRs, their bigger and heavier then rangefinders.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Huss

Ya I use the RE, R7, R8 and R9.
They all are very sweet and the R8/9 are imo the best film 35mm sirs made. I also have a Nikon F6 and others to compare them to.

Get the 35-70 f4 zoom (not the 3.5). It is superb.

Here is my R8 with the camera that inspired its design. The Zenit actually came out a few years before the Leica!

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
CharlesDAMorgan

I picked up a very nice late R8 from Leica Nuremburg recently and I think it's superb. Lovely ergonomics, handling and super metering. The R lenses I know to be stunning, but to try my recent Super Angulon 21mm F4 I used the Leicaflex SL2 as the viewfinder is brighter.

I must do a photo of it!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
analoged

That APO Elmarit is one of my favorites!

Leica II, 3.5cm Elmar, 5cm Summar, 13.5cm Hektor, 5cm Sonnar, 13.5cm Sonnar

R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 50mm Summicron, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 180 Elmar, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Contax TVS

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Ya I use the RE, R7, R8 and R9.
They all are very sweet and the R8/9 are imo the best film 35mm sirs made. I also have a Nikon F6 and others to compare them to.

Get the 35-70 f4 zoom (not the 3.5). It is superb.

Here is my R8 with the camera that inspired its design. The Zenit actually came out a few years before the Leica!

And the Zenit was based on the Zorki with a mirror box and most of the Zenits have the innards pretty much the same...

Regards, David

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
And the Zenit was based on the Zorki with a mirror box and most of the Zenits have the innards pretty much the same...

Regards, David
Soooo you're saying the Leica R8 is based on a Zorki?

My 212K does have a much brighter screen than my TTL or 12SD. And a much improved shutter that goes all the way down to 1/8 sec! The others can only manage 1/30 sec

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Clearly, the Leica R8 is based on the Exakta 500 (Exa II). I'm going cheap with the f/3.5 lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0213a.jpg (20.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 0213b.jpg (33.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 0213c.jpg (33.4 KB, 7 views)

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
f.hayek

Quote:

Here is my R8 with the camera that inspired its design (the Zenit SLR). The Zenit actually came out a few years before the Leica!
Is that your personal theory or have you read it somewhere?

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.hayek View Post
Is that your personal theory or have you read it somewhere?
I read it here:

https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...84&postcount=3

The Zenit came out in 1994

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Zenit_212k

The Leica R8 came out in 1996

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Leica_R8

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Clearly, the Leica R8 is based on the Exakta 500 (Exa II). I'm going cheap with the f/3.5 lens.
Not melty looking enough.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
f.hayek

Quote:
So, a personal revelation.

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
fbf

i can't think of a reason why you want to use the R lenses on your rf digital Ms.

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.hayek View Post
So, a personal revelation.
so, no sense of fun

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf View Post
i can't think of a reason why you want to use the R lenses on your rf digital Ms.
because u have them?

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Mudman

Quote:
Macro photography isn't so easy with a rangefinder typically. And all of my 50s for the Leica are from the 1950's or earlier. I'm curious as to the difference between them so I can see if I want to take the plunge on a newer M lens for my 50mm use. I got the 50mm 3 cam R for $300 or so plus the camera body. Can you point me to a V4 or V5 M mount Summicron in the same price point?

This 100mm apo, my 28mm Elmarit M, and the upcoming 50mm Summicron are my most modern designs for my Leica. I'd love to pick up a super wide and be able to use on either camera as well. The R lens versions are less expensive with the same quality and look. I can scale focus a 21mm.

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I have and use both a Leicaflex SL and a Leica R6.2. My lens kit includes:
  • Super-Elmar-R 15mm
  • Elmarit-R 19mm v1
  • Elmarit-R 28mm
  • Summicron & Summilux 50mm
  • Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm
  • Summicron-R 90mm
  • Macro-Elmar-R 100mm + Focusing Bellows-R
  • Elmarit-R 135mm
  • Elmar-R 180mm
  • 2x Extender-R
  • Macro Adapter-R

I tend to use the lenses on the Leica CL digital more than on the Leica R-mount SLRs (purely because I really don't shoot much 35mm film these days); they're all excellent on both FF film, and both FF and APS-C digital bodies.

When I had the M-P typ 240, I used them on that too with the Visoflex EVF. But to me the ergonomics of these lenses does not suit the RF body very well. they work better on the SL/SL2 and CL in terms of handling.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Mudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I have and use both a Leicaflex SL and a Leica R6.2. My lens kit includes:
  • Super-Elmar-R 15mm
  • Elmarit-R 19mm v1
  • Elmarit-R 28mm
  • Summicron & Summilux 50mm
  • Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm
  • Summicron-R 90mm
  • Macro-Elmar-R 100mm + Focusing Bellows-R
  • Elmarit-R 135mm
  • Elmar-R 180mm
  • 2x Extender-R
  • Macro Adapter-R
I tend to use the lenses on the Leica CL digital more than on the Leica R-mount SLRs (purely because I really don't shoot much 35mm film these days); they're all excellent on both FF film, and both FF and APS-C digital bodies.

When I had the M-P typ 240, I used them on that too with the Visoflex EVF. But to me the ergonomics of these lenses does not suit the RF body very well. they work better on the SL/SL2 and CL in terms of handling.

G
I'll be honest, I stopped looking at cameras and reviews after buying my M(240) 2.5 years ago. The SL has my attention though as the prices used seem fairly reasonable comparatively speaking. If I had enough R glass (and if M glass works on it) I could potentially switch from Nikon almost completely for work.

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Mudman

What's the consensus on the 28-70 f3.5-4.5?

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
fbf

i think using leica M digital for macro work is absurd but thats my own person opinion. I use sony a7iii for macro work . I also use hawk /cv adapter with close focus for leica M lenses. It's so much easier to focus on sony a7iii.
the Leica SL on the other hand is great for manual focus / macro work. The live view and screen is amazing.
Again, my personal 2 cent. You do whatever works for you.
Happy shooting.

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
What’s the consensus on the 28-70 f3.5-4.5?
That is a Sigma lens and is ok. The 35-70 f4 is much much better, and the 35-70 3.5 (a Minolta design) is also better than the Sigma.

Old 1 Week Ago   #22
Mudman

Quote:
i think using leica M digital for macro work is absurd but thats my own person opinion. I use sony a7iii for macro work . I also use hawk /cv adapter with close focus for leica M lenses. It's so much easier to focus on sony a7iii.
the Leica SL on the other hand is great for manual focus / macro work. The live view and screen is amazing.
Again, my personal 2 cent. You do whatever works for you.
Happy shooting.
The M is what I have, though adapters are out there for. Using the 100mm APO on my Nikon D750 as well.

I got an adapter from DAG, and the Olympus viewfinder today. Honestly, the setup wasn't terrible and I think for my occasional macro needs would work great. Better than an actual Visoflex, lol.

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
dof
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Mine is that it's a great way to shoot the lovely 80mm Summilux-R. Live view on the M10 has opened up a world of opportunities with this lens.

Related to the original question, I had an R8 for a week. The ergonomics are indeed wonderful - it felt so natural in the hands. But I found it was just too large a camera to carry on a daily basis. I learned from that experience that for me, that's a strict criteria for 35mm format cameras. I brought it back to my dealer who graciously allowed me to trade it for an R6. I still use the 6.

Old 1 Week Ago   #24
f.hayek

Quote:
so, no sense of fun
So sorry for taking you seriously.

Old 1 Week Ago   #25
Mudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dof View Post
Mine is that it's a great way to shoot the lovely 80mm Summilux-R. Live view on the M10 has opened up a world of opportunities with this lens.

Related to the original question, I had an R8 for a week. The ergonomics are indeed wonderful - it felt so natural in the hands. But I found it was just too large a camera to carry on a daily basis. I learned from that experience that for me, that's a strict criteria for 35mm format cameras. I brought it back to my dealer who graciously allowed me to trade it for an R6. I still use the 6.
I am curious to compare it to the R4s that is attached to the 50mm Summicron I just bought. I basically got both the R8 and the R4s for free give the prices I paid for the lenses.

I have a wide range of AF and manual cameras to shoot film and digital with. I'm used to a hefty camera, used my D3 for years with very large lenses. In that context, the r8 isn't huge to me. I'm just utterly happy with how it feels in my hands. The past week and a half, I've done more personal photography (not work) than I've done in most of the year. It's reinvigorated my connection to a camera, and I'm happy with that.

Old 1 Week Ago   #26
Huss

The r8/9 seem big but when you actually use them they feel perfect. Fantastic design.

Old 1 Week Ago   #27
dof
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
The past week and a half, I've done more personal photography (not work) than I've done in most of the year. It's reinvigorated my connection to a camera, and I'm happy with that.
It doesn't get better than this! Congratulations on finding a rig that brings you inspiration to shoot. Enjoy it!

Old 1 Week Ago   #28
Brian Atherton

Quote:
The r8/9 seem big but when you actually use them they feel perfect. Fantastic design.
Yes. Absolutely, Huss! A fantastic camera. So nice to see it being used and appreciated here.

I remember when it came out in the UK (I think around 1997) and thought: “what a lump.”

Eventually, when I got to handle it, I was immediately blown away with its ergonomics and quality. The lenses are something else.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #29
Mudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atherton View Post
Yes. Absolutely, Huss! A fantastic camera. So nice to see it being used and appreciated here.

I remember when it came out in the UK (I think around 1997) and thought: “what a lump.”

Eventually, when I got to handle it, I was immediately blown away with its ergonomics and quality. The lenses are something else.
That was always my thought as well. Product photos don't do it justice. I can't wait to drop off my film and see how the first roll came out.

Old 6 Days Ago   #30
Mudman

The 50 showed up today! Both it and the r4s look pretty much mint. If it was shot a lot, it was done carefully. Not sure if I'll part with the R4 yet, might be nice to have a second camera body. Already shooting it on the R8.

Old 6 Days Ago   #31
Huss

Is the R8/9 the best designed film sir ever made?
I asked an expert:

Old 6 Days Ago   #32
DMA1965

Quote:
This is exactly how I feel about the Leica M5. Despite being the ugly duckling it is, hands down, the best shooter in the M lineup. You have to experience it to understand why.