Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Closed Thread

Advice on Artistic Nudes
Old 02-03-2006   #1
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Advice on Artistic Nudes

Mechanics lights? Natural light? Incandescent bulbs? What is the best way to light nudes?

Film-wise, I'm looking to use some low grain and some higher grain...I'm really just wanting to experiment. I may sell these as prints, though, so I'd like people to keep that in mind as well. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, focusing: considering that these will be self portraits (due to no model), what would be the best way to make sure I'm focused correctly? I know that there will be a lot of trial and error in this. Someone mentioned a mirror in the other thread. Can you be more verbose as to how that would work?

This will be a large project for me. It will also be a milestone: I've been wanting to do this for two years and I now feel that I have rangefinder focusing down enough to do it. So any advice would be appreciated.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 02-03-2006   #2
yossarian
-

Steph, I sent a PM on this subject, describing an alternative approach.

Fred

Old 02-03-2006   #3
James Burton
Shoot into the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
what would be the best way to make sure I'm focused correctly?
Start by ignoring the nudlety. Experiment with lining yourself up. I tried to do this for a camera club and it's a PITA. Expect to run through a few rolls of film to get the posing, lighting and focus correct.

Focussing is OK, place the tripod in the camera position. Stand in the posing position holding the camera, focus on the tripod head. Put camera onto tripod, and re-pose yourself. Make sure you have plenty of DOF. f/5.6 is good.

Now you'll have to choose a location where you are outlined with something like a door. That will tell you the frame limits. So with the focussed camera on the tripod check out what is at the edge of the frame and remember it (e.g. 6" left of the door frame over to the wall, no higher than the picture frame...).

Once in the posed position you can either use the self timer or a cable. Both have pros & cons. Timer is OK but you may knock the camera out of position when setting it off. Cable you'll need to hide it. Using a cable to set off a short timer would be the best because you can pose, press the button, throw away the cable, wait.

For light, I don't get along with flash personally. You can buy 500W work lights very cheaply but they run hot and are not 'white'. Which is OK for B&W. I much prefer window light. Experiment with blinds if you have some. Experiment with letting light in through a partly open door from the next room (at night). Using existing light will mean long shutter speeds. Don't let them get too long if you want lots of sharpness. You know, or will find out how long you can pose for. Awkward poses will need to be for shorter times. Relaxed poses 1 second should be OK.

For backgrounds, drape a sheet. Peg it or tape it to something. Anything out-of-frame doesn't matter so make a mess.

That's as far as I've got so far.

Thanks,
James

Old 02-03-2006   #4
laptoprob
back to basics

On the technical side: this may not be what you are looking for but this is what I would use:
Minolta CLE with infrared remote release. Advancing the film is still manual ofcourse. And, with a CLE you can use the increadible flash system as well. For full lighting or just a little extra highlight.

But then again, a CLE is not a P. And getting another camera will not get you to your first objective.

cheers, Rob.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

Architecture and Photography

Old 02-03-2006   #5
matti

A simple digicam is a help to check out poses, framing and lightning. It might be easier to rig than a mirror.

/matti

Old 02-03-2006   #6
StuartR

Whenever I try self portraits and want a fairly shallow depth of field, I think of exactly how I want to pose, and then I place something that I can focus on directly where I want the plane of focus to be. One thing I have tried is hanging a piece of string from the ceiling, focusing on the string and then placing my eyes directly even with string, removing the string, and then triggering the shutter (whether a bulb, long cable release, self timer etc). If you place the string with sticky tack or silly putty, it is easy to remove it very quickly and place it anywhere. I have used many other things as well. On a couch or bed, pillows with something on top of them can approximate the focus pretty easily...use what you have at hand...a book, a stuffed animal, a ferret, whatever. As long as it stays still (I guess that rules out the ferret), and you can toss it out of the way as you run to assume the pose, you should be fine.

Old 02-04-2006   #7
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

Put the camera on tripod then level it and lock it down. Focus is obtained via tape measure from the film plane mark. The mirror is just to see how the light and pose look; you're shooting these solo so you need a reference. (It would be infinately easier to enlist the help of a friend.) Stick with natural light if possible; window light + white reflectors is always nice.

Old 02-04-2006   #8
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

I was going to post this on your other thread but it's closed!
Okay, the real problem with shooting yourself (aside from the mess it leaves) is not focusing, but framing. You need to back up enough to be sure you actually appear in the negatives; then it's still virtually impossible to compose in the camera, so you end up with a lot of negative to crop. So my advice is still to find an assistant to shoot the film. If you're relaxed enough to appear in the photos you should be relaxed enough to have some other person there.

Old 02-04-2006   #9
RML

I was thinking as well that framing would be the most difficult part. For that a digital camera would be ultimately suited, though I know that will be (for now) out of the question.

Be sure to mark your position so that, when you get framing right, you can return to the exact spot.

Old 02-04-2006   #10
bobofish
Two-fisted Atom Smasher

Stephanie, I don't know you from a random chai wallah in Madras.

And yet I think I have you pegged pretty well. I sure hope I'm wrong, but all indications point otherwise. Please bear with me through this post, eventually you will see my point.

I grew up in a small town. A crushingly boring place filled with very small minds and little to no future for most of the population. Somehow, that town has pulled a miracle out of its bum, and become the jewel of the wine industry. But 15 years ago, it was still a crushingly boring town with nary a big box store in sight until Walmart showed up. 10,000 people attended the grand opening, because, hell, there wasn't anyplace else to be. Through a very unique concoction of total chaos and incredibly bad planning, somehow enough wrongs equaled each other for the town to pull off a miracle and become a half-way interesting place these days. That is a new development, and when I was growing up, it was a craphole.

Some people from that town have made big names for themselves. Most people have not...many of them are still in that town, and are living crushingly boring lives that most people would not be able to take without a steady stream of prozac and other mind altering chemicals.

The town almost crushed me...I come from a family of professional musicians, world caliber musicians back to the 16th century. My mother married another musician who happened to live in that small town, even though their work was an hour away in Portland, where I live, for the time being. I had a mitigating influence on my life, which was Portland, my grandparents, and general aspirations of things intellectual. Books were a big help to me, as those days were largely before the internet. I spent a lot of time in libraries and in front of books...I developed a vivid imagination, which was a big help.

One friend of mine growing up is now well on his way to being a billionare. Another friend went to USC film school, where I lost touch with him. There are a few people who made names for themselves in other pursuits...all of them had mitigating influences on their lives. Either their parents were well employed and cosmopolitan, or they had friends and family in bigger places in the world. If nothing else, the successful people had things like books and films to pull them out of the mud...and yet one more help was that Portland was only an hour away.

There were a lot of small town dreamers in that town though. People with little to no interest in the outside world, and specifically little to no interest in comparing themselves honestly to people in the outside world. They saw themselves as big big fish, but they didn't realize that the pond they were swimming in was just a pitiful puddle in the dirty backwash of the rest of the world.

I heard things from people like "I don't need to know art history to become a painter." or "I don't need to read novels to be a writer." Or even more comically "I am a better writer than that guy!" even though they had never published anything.

Note books, diaries and secret confessionals do not a great artist make.

Likewise, deciding to be a great artist before one has even put brush to canvas is a little like saying you will discover the West Indies before you've invented a boat.

The small town dreamers are simultaneously aware that they are nobodies, and at the same time they equate themselves with the "fancy schmancy" people in big cities. They like to think that they can take shortcuts. They like to think that they will be able to achieve things that nobody has ever achieved before, just because their mother told them once that they were talented.

The sad reality of life is that for most people, there are only very few shortcuts. People like Kevin Federline and Clay Aiken aside, there is no substitute for education, careful thought, and experience. One does not put the cart before the horse, and the wheel has already been refined to a level that is quite adequate.

You have a habbit of coming onto this forum and making big claims, and taking big assumptions. There is more than enough fodder for one to doubt your motives, but taking things as they may be, and playing devil's advocate, maybe you are for real and just naive.

You want to sell your nude prints. You have never taken nude self-portraits, but you want to sell them. Maybe you've shot a few self portraits, and maybe they are "good" to your eye. Have you ever spent long hard hours in the library really analyzing what made pictures of the great photographers great? Have you ever figured out why Mapplethorpe was such a great photographer, despite the disgusting subjects he depicted in many of his photographs? Have you ever spent time in front of a book on Renoir, and asked yourself "why?"

You ask about film, cameras, flash, lighting, etc. etc. etc. Yet you have never even approached any of these things with anything but the slightest of discipline. Not to mention that you constaintly harrang about your lack of money. How will you afford the great ammounts of Pan F, Portra and whatchamahaveyou that you talk about. Have you ever mastered even one film? Have you ever shot more than 50 rolls of ANY FILM WHATSOEVER?

It takes a lot to be a great photographer. Everybody and their uncle thinks that they can pick up a camera and become a professional photographer. After all, that picture you took at the Grand Canyon last year sure looked good, why doesn't National Geographic call you up? Everybody thinks they can be a photographer, because nobody knows what it takes to be a photographer.

How many nudes have you looked at in your life, that were not gracing the screen of your computer? How many books have you asked your small town library to get through Interlibrary loan? Have you ever heard of the name Eikoh Hosoe? What was his ordeal anyway, life can't be that hard, it's just a basket of roses, right?

Stephanie, I know there is a big chance that my comments will just be deleted. I know that many people won't read them. I don't care. I only hope that for just a moment you will consider the things I say. In humanity there is great potential, and in any one human there lies great potential. Some people think there are shortcuts, some people don't take things seriously.

Trust me, I am guilty of many of the things I de facto accuse you of. I complain of a lack of money...I complain of a lack of chances....I complain of a lot of things. You know though, I firstly do it silently, and i look for a genuine solution. I don't want anybody's pity, and I don't want anybody's handout. I want to make a name for myself, and I want to enjoy life...but I know that life can be tough, and I know that there are few shortcuts available to most of us.

Trust me, there are two kinds of people in the world: those with talent, and those without.

I've been cursed my whole life with a talent for everything...anything I pick up, all of the sudden I become an expert. This means that I also love just about everything, and I can't decide what to do. More importantly, it means that my talent allows me to get by without work. The most important thing in life is not talent, but work, practice and discipline. I have met so many talented musicians that five years later sell insurance. Painters who end up working at coffe shops. Photographers who could blow your mind who end up checking peoples' shoe sizes. You have to work in life, and if you're talented, it just makes it a little easier.

If you want to do nude photographs, fine. I couldn't be bothered to give two ****s about it. Just do it. Don't ask people about if you should do it to get out of depression. Don't ask people if they would buy your stupid prints. Don't even talk about it until you've grown up a little inside. Take your pictures, enjoy them. More importantly, GO TO THE LIBRARY. CRACK OPEN A REAL BOOK. Those places called libraries still contain quite abit of wisdom in them, and the opinions in those books are different than opinions on the internet in that they had to stand the added scrutiny of ACTUALLY BEING PUBLISHED.

All this goes for your cooking as well. Have you ever, in your entire life, even for one day, cooked in a restaurant? Perhaps you are like so many people in that you can cook half-way decent food that your mother says is the best she's ever eaten?

I've seen your blogs, I've seen your postings. You talk about organics, even though you don't really know much about them, and you don't know WHY people use them. You may have read some recipe books...you may have even stumbled upon some recipes. Instead of thinking about your culinary education and how horribly hard it will be to get one (and don't forget, it is no guarantee of good employment) you should go out, and cook in ANY restaurant.

I have two good friends who are TRAINED chefs de cuisine. I have another friend who graduated from Japanese cooking school, which is much more rigorous than American studies. All three friends are magnificent cooks, and all three had extensive experience cooking in restaurants. All three of them decided to throw their education in the trash, because they realized what their hours and salaries would be....cooking is not glamorous, it is not financially rewarding, it is not easy.

As with your nude studies....read a book. Go out and try it. LIVE A LITTLE.

Who gives two ****s what film you're going to use...who cares which brand of pan you're going to use? Is that a Wusthoff, Henckels or Shun you're chopping that carrot with? IT DOES NOT MATTER because you've never done it before. By asking such questions, you become the very definition of a poseur. You are an imposter posing as an expert, although you have no experience what so ever.

Your creative process is artificial: you decide what you're going to do (without the benefit of hindsight through experience) and then you want to do it, and the simple willingness to do it tells you that you are qualified to do it. What makes you think that your as yet uncreated prints will ever be good enough to command money in competition to the work of professional photographers? There are always horny men willing to pay for photographs of naked women. That you should know, such things consume the internet. By selling your prints, you have equated yourself with Avedon, Mapplethorpe, Penn, Giacomelli......

An organic (and that goes for foodstuffs as well) would be to experiment, start small, evolve, grow, try new things, analyze your results. By all means ask for opinions on your work, but don't let those opinions FORM your work, otherwise your development is artificial and stunted....you will become another self-fulfilled flash in the pan.

Humanity is a beautiful, amazing thing. But great achievements have always come when individual humans realized their actual limitations and tried to overcome them through pure creativity and the goddamned force of their own will. Have you ever wondered why Rembrandt chose brown?

Thus endeth the lesson, brought to you by one upon whom the lessons of life have been burned with red hot irons.

Old 02-04-2006   #11
vol72

Stephanie, the question is not what will it take to accomplish this, but why would you want to put yourself through it? To do what you are proposing appears to me to be an exercise in frustration, regardless of the results. My experience is that most photographers of the human figure enjoy the interaction and collaboration with the model, and this is a very important part of the process. I suggest that you decide which you are: the photographer or the model. Find a photographer or model friend to collaborate with on this project. Better yet, find a photographer / model to work with and then you can pose as well as photograph each other. I believe that you will have a much more rewarding experience. Good luck however you choose to do it!

Old 02-04-2006   #12
Skinny McGee

Damn, Dad that was a good one.

Old 02-04-2006   #13
Joerg
Dilettant

Hi,

OK here it goes, some advice:
polling for artistic advice will result only in mediocrity (or expressed differently: average without your personal stamp on the artwork).
You will have to test all options you consider important (and combinations thereof) and decide which options will allow you to get to the result you envision.
BTW there are probably books on how to get nude shots.
If on the other hand you are trying to sell portraits to please the customer (without any artistic vision) polling is the way to go. But I would not consider this art.
BTW cameras are tools and rangefinders might not be the best for the job.

Ciao

Joerg

Old 02-04-2006   #14
bcs89
Contented Oly Owner

WOW

bobofish, you leave me almost speechless. By the third paragraph I had stopped even caring about to who you were speaking, and was just lost in the truth of your words. I believe I have just found the cure for my own "poor poor me" days. Thank you.

scott

Her hands are cold, her breath is warm,
She's a port in a storm.
I'm worried now, but it won't be long.
It takes a worried man, you know, to sing a worried song.

Old 97's

Old 02-04-2006   #15
Skinny McGee

I wanted to post "PORNO!!! PORNO!!! PORNO!! I sayz Its PORNO!!!" in the voice of Fog Horn leg Horn,,, but mt wife told me I shouldn't...

Old 02-04-2006   #16
Skinny McGee

Does anybody have a Nooky I want to take some pictures of my balls..

Please laugh before you delete this.

Thank you for your support.
Skinny

Old 02-04-2006   #17
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Guys. The entire point of this thread is to actually give me real advice. Please keep the fatherly advice out of it and in a PM. Thanks.

Also, bobofish, your sentiments are appreciated. But I *do* know what I'm doing and I *do* know why people eat organic food. So no more posts delving into why you think I shouldn't be doing this, okay? Made my decision and everything is now peachy keen. If I keep getting responses like that one I'll just not post the finished product here.

Old 02-04-2006   #18
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Try an SLR with this project, Stephanie. RF cameras aren't as useful for framing. With any RF, your estimate framing will be off for a number of reasons. With an SLR, your estimate framing may not be that off.

Good luck!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 02-04-2006   #19
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I'm planning to mark things off somehow for framing...put some things in the frame that wouldn't be obtrusive to the photography but that I could see to help me frame myself. I may try some of the traditional nude poses. Also, I'll have the help of the boyfriend who can tell me if things are focused correctly...but he's not that good at framing. Heh.

Old 02-04-2006   #20
bcs89
Contented Oly Owner

"If I keep getting responses like that one I'll just not post the finished product here."

And this is what its all about. Attention. For those of you actually taking this seriously and offering sound technical advice - I think your heart is in the right place but you are missing the the real purpose of this and many other like threads. The quote above speaks volumes.

Her hands are cold, her breath is warm,
She's a port in a storm.
I'm worried now, but it won't be long.
It takes a worried man, you know, to sing a worried song.

Old 97's

Old 02-04-2006   #21
wlewisiii

May have gotten lost in the last thread, but one thing I'd suggest is framing with the intention of cropping either when printing or in Photoshop. It's far easier to subtract area from an image than to add it afterthefact

Also, I'm a believer in natural light if possible in this subject, however to get enough of it you may need some reflectors. The other lighting to try is a very dramatic "Rembrandt" lighting. Seat the subject near a window and look towards the wall near but not at the window. Put a dark background at about a 45 degree angle to the window behind the subject. Then put a reflector opposite the window but at a slight angle (15 - 20 degrees) to the window. The camera is positioned on line with the reflector depending on how you wish to frame. This gives highlights in some areas with very strong but luminous shadows elsewhere, much like Rembrandt's oil portraits, hence the name.

Hope this helps,

William

Old 02-04-2006   #22
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

NO. It isn't.

I don't want to do this again. It isn't about attention. I said that because if it's really that 'controversial' here then I won't post it here. But I would like advice. There are many people who have done nudes before...asking for advice isn't misplaced.

Putting words into my mouth and belittling what I want to do isn't going to help me do *anything*. The other thread was closed so that I could make this one for *advice* on what I'm doing. I'd like to keep this one for doing that.

Thank you to all those who have given me advice without trying to psychoanalyze me. I appreciate it.

Nudes
Old 02-04-2006   #23
danielnorton
Daniel Norton

Nudes

bobofish, As a professional photographer myself, I have at least a half dozen young ladies (some not that young) a year contact me to shoot nude portraits. I'm no psychiatrist, but I think for some seeing themselves as "art" can be a wonderful and fulfilling sensation.
I'm proud to be asked to do this for them and can't understand your distain for dreaming, that's what makes us human I think.
Being interested in photography and having this desire, I think shooting self portraits makes sense. However, if you photograph yourself, you are only getting half the satisfaction. People seeing your prints as art is the rest, thus her need to want to display and possibly sell these prints.

Stephanie, If I'm wrong about the above and you really feel like it would be hard to find a model, it's not. I went to art school and had no trouble finding willing subjects and the female students had even less trouble. And now with the internet places like One Model Pace and Model mayhem are full of willing subjects.

That being said, one girl in my class shot nudes of herself for her entire junior and senior year. They where absolutely stunning.

Briefly, here's how she did it.

We had a small studio in the photo area, but any good sized room will do.
She used a black velvet backdrop (she had light skin so the contrast was great)
Place the camera on a tripod, you'll need a long cable release.
place something in the area you will be, focus on it, giving yourself plenty of DOF (f8 or 11 I'd say)
Place a large mirror behind the camera.
Use off camera flash, window light, or an inexpensive photo flood like the lowel tota light.

Shoot lot's of film.

Before you even load the camera though, spend some time in front of a mirror posing and twisting to see how your body looks, think of the figure as a landscape or abstraction, not a a female body.

I think until you get a feel for the nude, it's probably best to not shoot anything environmental (like on a bed or couch) as it adds another layer of complexity to your message and it's easy to drift into a glamour/pinup stye.

My site

Old 02-04-2006   #24
bobofish
Two-fisted Atom Smasher

Dan,
You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger dreamer than me. What this HERE is all about is something a lot different than a dream, and the organic development that a dream can bring about. Dreaming partly means reading between the lines.

I've said what I could, and it won't stick. Too bad, but I tried.

Old 02-04-2006   #25
yossarian
-

Steph, I hope you read my PM, but I have another thought--IR does marvelous things to skin...

Old 02-04-2006   #26
Rick Waldroup

Stephanie, do a Google search on Francesca Woodman. She was an extremely talented photograher who mostly shot self portaits, many of them nudes. Her first book was published when she was just 21 years old. A few weeks later, she took her own life. Her stuff is really, really good, I think you might like her. There are several websites out there with her images and some with some biographical material. Hey don't worry about what other people think, do what you feel is in your heart, and most of the time things will work out. Yossarian had a good idea with IR- also you might consider using a red filter as well- it will lighten skin tones considerably if you are into that type of look. As someone else said, this might be easier done with an SLR, but if you really pay attention to framing it can be done easily enough with a rangefinder. Good luck to you.

Old 02-04-2006   #27
Rick Waldroup

When I said red filter I meant with regular B&W film.

Old 02-04-2006   #28
peterc
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
Mechanics lights? Natural light? Incandescent bulbs? What is the best way to light nudes?
A couple of things:
1. There are numerous ways to light artisitc nudes. I presume you have checked out photos by photographers whose styles you like to emulate.
2. Get a cheap Polaroid or digital camera, set up in ways you think will work and use either an instant or digital shot to see if you were correct. Instant feedback will save you a lot of headache while you're finding your style.

Hope this helps,
Peter

"If you understand what photographic materials can do, you can learn to form a mental image of the finished photograph before you actually trip the shutter." -- David R. Young
My Gallery
My 10 faves + 2

Old 02-04-2006   #29
egpj
50 Summilux is da DEVIL!

With bobo's tough love I am believer.

Steph, you sound like a sweety but I think you should put aside youthful exuberance and contemplate what has been said here.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Glenn

Photographers work I am interested in: Jon Kral; HCB the portraits
Equipment I am using: 2 MP's an MP3 and some lenses

Gallery

My Homepage

Old 02-04-2006   #30
Byuphoto
Would like to upgrade

You guys sure give out ht eFatherly advice and a lot of it is just like my Father. "We are miserable so let's squash the enthusiasm and dreams of the youth".
When I was in hight school I took journalism/photography and knew right then what i wanted to do with my life. However, my Father knew better for me. He ridiculed my exuberance and squashed my dreamswith an iron hand. I volunteered for the Navy to escape. Something you might consider Steph. They have a wonderfull combat/journalism photography school. I wanted in this school but my Fathers wiil prevailed and I went to Electrician school because he said poor people like us could not escape what we were. I even bought a little darkroom outfit to use on the ship. When I got out I wnated to use the money to go to the photography class at the local University but once again I was told by all that knew better it was foolish and childish. I did not have the money, experience or talent to make a go of it. I worked at unfullfilling jobs for most of my adult life. I made good money but was totally miserable. Last year I decided to chuck it all and open my own studio. Now I will not say it was an instant success btu I got by and now the wedding/portrait part is paying off and I am making the art/craft circuit and selling some of my prints also. I out in a lot of time and effort and looked for all the cheap advertisement I could get. I traded portraits for radio air ads and used all the free local newspapers and even took otu some small ads in some local magazines. I pasted flyers at all the businesses I could and talked to all the wedding/prom rental stores around.
I say all this to come to this point. Never lose sight of your dream and don't let others squash it. I just hated I waited till I was 50 to make the move. do it when you can, do it when you are young, do it when you are old but just do it. If it fails so be it but you will not get old and say "What if"
PS: I live in a town of less than 100 and it is 20 miles to the nearest stop light so you do not have to be in a big city to make a go of your dream

My Blog

Old 02-04-2006   #31
BrianShaw
-

"who cares which brand of pan you're going to use? Is that a Wusthoff, Henckels or Shun you're chopping that carrot with? IT DOES NOT MATTER because you've never done it before."

Now I'm upset... before cooking with All-Clad I consistently burned meals using Mom's favorite, Revere Ware. IT DOES MATTER! Getting advise from knowledgable people increases the odds of initial success. Same with knives... I took Wolfgang Puck's advise and started out with Henkels. Twenty years later I now use Shun because I can from tell personal experience that they ARE better.

Stephanie... why are you still talking about it and not doing anything... photographically speaking, that is? I can't believe that this thread has resurrected! PLEASE... if you're that committed then JUST DO IT. Come back after you've taken a few and tell us if you like the results and the experience, want to do more or have regrets, want to share (for purposes of critique, of course) or want to keep them private, etc, etc.

Old 02-04-2006   #32
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

Hey, Revere Ware is okay! You leave Revere Ware alone!

Anyway . . . Steph, here's my analysis (heavy on the anal): Even our worst photos are smarter than we are. End of lecture. Looking forward to hearing about your shooting experiences.

Old 02-04-2006   #33
smiling gecko
pure dumb luck, my friend

...only read through the first page or two or three, but here is my .02 cents worth...

...in hamlet, polonius advises his son, laertes, before leaving home :
“this above all : to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, then thou cannot be false to any man”

lots n' lots has already been said...just a few thoughts here:

1. listen to your inner voice
2. please your self
3. moderation in all things...especially moderation, sometimes in somethings
(apologies and a wink to terence, the roman comic dramatist)

btw,i did some for myself and they were "interesting", fun, documentary, and well, time will tell...

i was and am still interested in purchasing a print or two i saw in your gallery...but had trouble e-mailing you... i'm a techno klutz at times...will send you a pm in the next day or two.

<hey byuphoto: terrific post you made here -great insights & advice- i can identify>

hasta la vista, adieu, dasvidanya,,fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen, and later y’all
kenneth

"...patience and shuffle the cards" miguel cervantes
"nothing can be learned" herman hesse
"everybody knows everything" jack kerouac
"some memories are realities and better than anything" willa cather
" doo-wacka doo, wacka doo" roger miller
"we have met the enemy and they is us !" pogo

Old 02-04-2006   #34
RJBender
RFF Sponsoring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny McGee
I wanted to post "PORNO!!! PORNO!!! PORNO!! I sayz Its PORNO!!!" in the voice of Fog Horn leg Horn,,, but mt wife told me I shouldn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny McGee
Does anybody have a Nooky I want to take some pictures of my balls..

Please laugh before you delete this.

Thank you for your support.
Skinny

Ah say, ah say... no need to thank us for support. Thank your underwear, son.

R.J.

Old 02-04-2006   #35
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I think that the only real issues I'm going to have with this are lighting and proper focus. I have plenty of natural light coming in this room if I take the curtains off the windows (it's also sunk-in, a basement, so there's no risk of people peeking in). I'll probably enlist the help of the boyfriend with framing, but I'll do what people have said and place something where I'm going to be to focus on first.

As to film...because of the fact that I should probably do these at a small aperture (f8 or f11), should I go with a faster film? Maybe something like Neopan 1600? Delta 3200? TMAX 3200?

Old 02-04-2006   #36
JohnL
Very confused

Unless you have done it before, you might find it worthwhile to get a book on posing, or your local library may have something you could look at. I'd need to do this if I were to attempt to shoot anyone who didn't already have some experience. If you have a model that knows her/his stuff, life is a lot easier.

Old 02-04-2006   #37
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

This is going to be an experiment...kind of meaning that I want to go in a little blind where my actual posing is concerned. I want to figure out for myself what works instead of reading it in books. I know that it'll take longer for me to do things this way, but I tend to learn more by doing instead of reading things in a book. I learned more about developing film by ruining a few rolls than I did reading a large amount on the process...my brain works strangely.

Old 02-04-2006   #38
wlewisiii

Not so strange, Stephanie. I've often said that no one knows Unix till they've blown away the filesystem a dozen times... Especially with active users...

I too took quite a few rolls (and more recently sheets ) before I got it right too. Your on the right track I'd say.

William

Old 02-04-2006   #39
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

i'd say just try a few options as you considered already.. Just do it. It's worthy a try, and maybe you'll like the results and you'll find a way to improve them. If not, you had some fun. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2006   #40
Sean Reid

Stephanie,

My apologies if this has been suggested already. The best self-portrait nudes I've ever seen were done by the late John Coplans, a famous writer on art who became an exhibiting photographer late in life. In order to frame, he used a video camera which was set up to show almost exactly the same FOV as his view camera. They were located very near each other, of course. You could do the same with a cheap digital still camera (most of them have video out) and an old TV. That way you could see what you were doing. Duct tape on the old TV could give you the 2:3 ratio frame you need.

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited by Sean Reid : 02-04-2006 at 16:15.

Closed Thread