Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Lens storage
Old 01-13-2020   #1
seany65

Lens storage

Is it alright to leave lenses in their cases with front and rear caps on, with sky filters on and a silicate bag, even when not using them for a while?

Is it best to leave them out of the case without caps or filters on so the air and UV light can get to them?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 01-13-2020   #2
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

My initial reaction would be sure, why not...isn't that the way manufacturer's package them...box, styraform, caps on, silica gel packet...
pf

Old 01-13-2020   #3
Doug

I leave front/rear caps and/or filter in place when the lens is not in use. Just avoid leaving the lens in a leather case, which retains humidity and may promote fungus growth. Oddly, my older Pentax lenses came with leather cases!

Old 01-13-2020   #4
Rayt

I put the lens with hood and filter ready to use in dry cabinets. I live in a very humid part of the world and avoid leather accessories due to fungus and for the few Leica lenses I bought new I leave the cases in their respective boxes in storage.

Old 01-13-2020   #5
shimokita
白黒

+1 for [electric] dry cabinet... camera bodies, lenses with filters, front & back caps... accessories go in dry boxes with the appropriate chemicals. Everything cleaned before storage. Cases stored separately. Location is Tokyo, where the summers are hot and humid.

Old 01-17-2020   #6
seany65

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I suppose I'd better take them out of their leather cases. No idea where I'll put the cases, though, as most of my cameras are 3 to a shelf on my bookcases-all of which are full of books and those that aren't are in bags on the floor. Most of the lenses are in a bag on the floor and the only lens that's not got a case is a Nikon series E 75-150 I bought recently.

I think a bit of puzzling and messing about are coming my way...

Edit: Am I right in thinking that this "Leave them out of their cases" does NOT apply to a couple of Pentacon lenses which are in plastic cases?

Old 01-17-2020   #7
shimokita
白黒

Quote:
Originally Posted by seany65 View Post
Edit: Am I right in thinking that this "Leave them out of their cases" does NOT apply to a couple of pentacon lenses which are in plastic cases?
As I understand it, it's the organic case (leather) that encourages the growth of fungus... in some instances a plastic case might increase the humidity...

Old 01-18-2020   #8
seany65

Thanks for the new reply.

I've taken all the cameras and lenses that were in leather cases (I'm working on the theory that tamron lens cases are leather with a type of stiffening and padding in) and it was a pain in the 'arris trying to decide what to put where. I settled on leaving the lenses in a gadget bag with the lid open, the two leather cases for my folders in the bottom, detachable, part of that gadget bag with the double zip thingy open and two of the lens cases on the bottom shelf of one of my bookcases. I did this with the view that it doesn't matter if the cases get knocked of the shelf but it might if a camera or lens was.

I've left the lids of the plastic cases open but with the lenses still inside as there really is nowhere to shove them.